Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-06-2005, 12:18 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Genuine' Spurs welcome Finley

MySanAntonio

'Genuine' Spurs welcome Finley

Web Posted: 10/06/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, U.S. Virgin Islands — Michael Finley walked onto the court Tuesday afternoon for his first Spurs practice and did a double-take.

Perched in the stands was his longtime coach with the Dallas Mavericks, Don Nelson.

"I thought he was scouting us or something," Finley said. "I guess everybody is trying to get out of Dodge now, huh?"

Unlike Nelson, Finley didn't have much choice.

The face of the Mavericks' franchise for much of the past nine seasons, he found himself out of a job in August after Dallas waived him to take advantage of the NBA's new amnesty rule. By ridding themselves of the luxury-tax penalty Finley's contract incurred, the Mavericks bid farewell to their longtime captain.

Dallas' loss became the Spurs' gain. And while acknowledging it's a little strange to be wearing something other than a blue jersey, Finley, so far, sounds happy with his new team.

"These guys are genuine guys," he said. "They've welcomed me with open arms. I'm very appreciative of this team, and that's one of the reasons I decided to come to San Antonio."

Few NBA observers thought Finley would make the five-hour drive down Interstate 35.

Phoenix offered a starting job plus the chance to play with Steve Nash, his friend and longtime teammate from Dallas. Miami, in addition to having Shaquille O'Neal, Dwyane Wade and a championship-caliber roster, could have given him a starting salary of $5million, almost twice as much as the Spurs had available.

Aware that most considered the Heat the favorite to sign Finley, Spurs officials phoned Finley's agent to make sure they were still in the running. Even after meeting with Finley at his Chicago home, coach Gregg Popovich was skeptical of the team's chances.

"I had a really good dinner afterwards then walked up and down Michigan Avenue," Popovich said. "I figured that was going to be my fun for the trip, pretty honestly.

"I just felt that he was probably going to start in the other situations, and I thought he would have personal relationships that would be tough to turn away from."

In the end, however, Finley saw other reasoning: The Spurs, who unsuccessfully courted him in the summer of 2001, had won three championships in seven years.

Having met Tim Duncan in college when both played for the junior national team, Finley had grown to admire the two-time MVP for his talent and for his selflessness. He also felt comfortable with Popovich from their time together in the 2002 World Championships.

Though the Mavericks included a contract provision that allows them to spread the remaining $51.8 million they owe Finley in payments over the next 10-plus years, money wasn't a significant factor in his decision. A percentage of the three-year, $8.4 million contract (the third season is at his option) he signed with the Spurs is subtracted from what Dallas owes him.

As for speculation he signed with Dallas' division rival to get back at his former team, Finley said he would have joined the Spurs if they were in the Eastern Conference.

"What stood out," he said, "was this team has done it before. They know what it takes. A lot of the other situations, there were a lot of unknowns.

"Here, I knew what I was getting into from a team standpoint, from a coaching standpoint."

Popovich, who told Finley he would have to accept a role off the bench and fewer minutes, was happy to land the former All-Star because he signed for "all the right reasons" — not the least of which was the chance to play with Duncan.

"Timmy's proven through three championships he makes everybody better," Popovich said. "It doesn't matter where they played in college, what country they come from, how big they are, how skilled they are. He has an ability to let people get comfortable in their roles and welcome them in."

Finley also has been well received by his one-time tormentor. In a game against Dallas late in the 2003-04 season, Finley and Bruce Bowen traded a couple of well-placed forearm shoves. Finley was ejected; Bowen received a $2,000 fine.

Afterward, Finley called Bowen a coward. Nelson accused him of being dirty.

Finley said he and Bowen recently dined together. Any feud, he said, is "behind us."

"I'm a competitor, and he's a competitor," Bowen said. "But the competition is only on the court. I respect him a great deal.

"I think I would be doing a disservice to the organization if I held grudges against guys."

Finley now finds himself backing up Bowen and Manu Ginobili. Having led the NBA in minutes played in three seasons, he says his new job will be a "big adjustment." But he also thinks the Spurs will make the transition as smooth as possible.

While Finley's scoring average has dropped six consecutive seasons, he played much of last season with a right-ankle injury that required surgery in the summer. Long regarded as a better shooter than slasher, he apparently hasn't lost his stroke. Last season, he made a career-best 40.7 percent of his 3-pointers — a percentage that could improve given the amount of open shots he should receive playing with Duncan.

"Without me here in San Antonio, they're still a great team," Finley said. "With me, hopefully they'll be a better team."
Old 10-06-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 'Genuine' Spurs welcome Finley

"I guess everybody is trying to get out of Dodge now, huh?"

Everybody on the downhill slump, yeah.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

let it go fin, let it go...
Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

You could say the same thing for Stack but, well, that's different it seems.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Default RE:'Genuine' Spurs welcome Finley

Spurs intensify workouts on Day 2
Training camp gets tougher as players fight for roster spots

By PATRICK JOY
Thursday, October 6th 2005

ST. THOMAS - They may be teammates, but there was no lack of intrasquad intensity on the court Wednesday as the San Antonio Spurs training camp moved into its second day.

Hitting the gym at 10 a.m. and again at 6 p.m., the Spurs worked through grueling drills - working half- and full-court five-on-five sets with various points awarded for baskets, defensive stops, rebounds and free throws.

The drills were full speed and players didn't hold back - doing their best to show coach Gregg Popovich that their offseason work had paid off.

"We're having fun, but we're competing," said guard Nick Van Exel, a high-profile recent acquisition for the Spurs. "One of the differences I've noticed at this camp is that it's running a lot smoother" than other camps, Van Exel said. "We're having fun, but we're giving Pop something to look at, too."

Van Exel said his transition into the Spurs system is going well, partially because he had to study the team so much when playing with the Lakers, Blazers and Mavericks in recent years.

"Having played them so many times it's pretty easy," he said.

Van Exel said he was excited to have Michael Finley in camp. The duo played together in Dallas several years ago and have been heralded additions to the Spurs.

"I'm very happy for the fact that we've got a chance to play here," he said. "This is really a great opportunity for both of us to do something we've never done before."

Undoubtedly, Van Exel and Finley add depth to an already deep team. A Van Exel, Finley, Brent Barry, Robert Horry and Rasho Nesterovic combo all coming off the bench would be as strong as some teams' starting five.

Coach Popovich said he never thought he would land Finley.

"I thought I was wasting my time," he said. "After talking with him in Chicago I had a nice dinner, walked up and down Michigan Avenue and thought that would be my highlight," he said.

From medicine balls to balancing acts on inflated discs, Finley and the rest of the Spurs worked for more than two hours Wednesday night, moving quickly into defensive rotation and post drills and even into set-play sequences.

"You get right into it here," said Van Exel. "It's simple."

Van Exel credited the smoothness of the first two days of camp to the presence of so many veterans.

"We're doing a good job of communicating," he said. "For the guys that get it, they get it, and for the guys that don't, everyone's helping them along," he said.

Practice continues today, and the players are getting ready for an intra-squad scrimmage at 8 p.m. Friday. They'll take Saturday off and then hit the court for one final practice Sunday before returning to San Antonio.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The thing is good for Finley and the Spurs. The mavericks were the worst run professional sports team in the 90's and sported the worst record. They never once got the number one overall pick. San Antonio can thank Robinson for going down. Finley will try to ride the coattails of Duncan, Ginobli and Horry. Good for him, but it is time to move on. Finley is a bargain for 2.5 million, but not for 19 million. Oh and he had 15.7 ppg in 37.8 minutes a game. Stack had 15 points in 31 minutes a game.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
"I guess everybody is trying to get out of Dodge now, huh?"

Everybody on the downhill slump, yeah.
No boundaries can withhold the sempiternal intensity of this rivalry.

And oh how much sweeter victory shall sound when the weight of that giant thunders into the ground.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Undoubtedly, Van Exel and Finley add depth to an already deep team. A Van Exel, Finley, Brent Barry, Robert Horry and Rasho Nesterovic combo all coming off the bench would be as strong as some teams' starting five.
in what league is this??

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:30 AM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

When the cutting of Fin became a topic of discussion, the Mavs had their say. Donnie took to the airwaves, in just about every significant media outlet. Oh, he was nice about it. We heard that Mike brought "a special package," and all that bullshit. But the implication was clear, to all except the most mentally challenged.

Of course, Cuban chimed in too, with the "woe is me" act that has grown tired in these parts over the past two offseasons, as we have seen two multiple-time All-Stars leave here for greener pastures. Very subtle attempts were made to demean #4. Suggestions that he put his own selfish interests above the interests of the team.

To which, #4 responded by pointing out that he did in fact start on a team that won 58 games--a number that I have heard bandied about--truly--ad nauseum on these boards. But even so, that 58-win team decided they would gain by jettisoning their dead weight, the guy who was--as Jerry Stackhouse so belligerently points out--the only guy who was worried about that sort of thing. (The starting or the 58 wins is left to your own estimation.)

In the face of such a none-too-subtle PR attack against him, is it any wonder that the ol' #4 strikes back with all the pride that we so loved about him when he wore the uniform with our name on it?

Mike struck back gently, but oh, so effectively. As befits a player and person of his caliber.

And when it comes to it, what IS Don Nelson doing in these camps anyway?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:18 AM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg And when it comes to it, what IS Don Nelson doing in these camps anyway?
checking out how a championship camp runs..

Contact Me
Old 10-07-2005, 08:30 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post chummy.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

greatness Alby

I don't know what to think of Nellie's tour, except that it bugs me!

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Great article MFF.

Great post Chum.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Nellie's seen a few championship camps of his own. Five, is it?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #15
alby
Guru

checking out how a championship camp runs..

edit://

checking out how to run a championship camp..

Contact Me
Old 10-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #16
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Very subtle attempts were made to demean #4. Suggestions that he put his own selfish interests above the interests of the team.
These "suggestions" may have indeed been true and because we have no feasible way to determine this it would be just as big, if not a bigger mistake to assume that the purpose of these statements were to serve as demeaning shots to #4's back.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 10-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

Okay, I guess. Maybe we just can't know what the intent was. How's this, then. #4 was subtly demeaned.

Better?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #18
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Finley's previous contract with the Mavs: $100-plus million
Amount the Mavs saved on letting Finley go: $51 million

What some aging players are willing to do for a chance at an easy ring: Priceless

Old 10-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #19
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Money Mark Cuban saved by dumping Nash: $66 million
Money Mark Cuban saved by dumping Finley: $51 million

Watching both whip Cuban's ass in the playoffs.... priceless
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:30 PM   #20
MavsFanFinley
Guru

It must pain some to know that Finley is fitting in with SA's system. Not only Finley, but NVE as well. Sure, some things need to be worked out but it's not going to take them the whole season like it did with Brent Barry.

I'm trying to remember the last time Finley had the same amount of ft attempts as he did 3pters. It's nice to see Pop isn't planting Finley in the corners to rot.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:04 PM   #21
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Money Mark Cuban saved by dumping Nash: $66 million
Money Mark Cuban saved by dumping Finley: $51 million

Watching both whip Cuban's ass in the playoffs.... priceless
Ape, if that's the way you really feel, why do you still consider yourself a Mavs fan... or do you at all? Really, I want to know. Because from everything I've ever read from you, it sounds like you're not a Mavs fan at all anymore; you're a 2003 Mavs fan. That team is dead, and you've been angry about it ever since. I've never read anything from you suggesting that you actually want the Mavericks to win... All I've read from you is how Erick Dampier is sub-human, and that you take pleasure in seeing this team lose to the respective team of its former players.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #22
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

No, Madape is a Shawn Bradley fan. And when Shawn became useless" so did his desire to see the team succeed.

(Btw, good luck to Fin. But I find it dfuuny that the same man who is "happy" about coming off of the bench now is the same one that played on a badly sprained ankle to keep his starting spot then.)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #23
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
No, Madape is a Shawn Bradley fan. And when Shawn became useless" so did his desire to see the team succeed.

(Btw, good luck to Fin. But I find it dfuuny that the same man who is "happy" about coming off of the bench now is the same one that played on a badly sprained ankle to keep his starting spot then.)
Finley played on a bad ankle because Daniels and Stackhouse also had injury problems and Finley thought that it was best for the team that he played even if he wasnt at full strength (he was the only SG left). It was an injury that required surgery and by the time Stack and Quis were both healthy, it was too late into the season to have that surgery because he would have missed the rest of the year and the playoffs.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #24
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if he ever thought him driving to the basket was "best for the team." I wonder if he ever thought rebounding was "best for the team." I wonder if he ever thought working on his game in the offseason and not golfing was "best for the team."

Of course, it won't matter in SA because Finley will be reduced to Dell Curry. He'll come off the bench to come off of screens and hit the open jumper. He'll be asked to hit the 3 when Duncan gets doubled.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:20 PM   #25
MavsFanFinley
Guru

It's rather obvious that no one here (or just a few) has watched Finley with his new team yet. He's not just settling for 3's or jump shots. He's getting to the basket and has as many ft attempts (only 1 is a technical) as he does 3 pointers. Pop has him moving around instead of just sitting in the corners to gather dust.

Only Mav fans seem to think Finley is nothing more than a 3pt shooter in SA.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:26 PM   #26
Bayliss

Quote:
It's rather obvious that no one here (or just a few) has watched Finley with his new team yet. He's not just settling for 3's or jump shots. He's getting to the basket and has as many ft attempts (only 1 is a technical) as he does 3 pointers. Pop has him moving around instead of just sitting in the corners to gather dust.

Only Mav fans seem to think Finley is nothing more than a 3pt shooter in SA.
Dell Curry was an excellent shooter off of screens too.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:15 AM   #27
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
He's not just settling for 3's or jump shots.
Quote:
It's nice to see Pop isn't planting Finley in the corners to rot.
Can you blame him or Pop?

Considering Finley is shooting an awful 15% (2-13) from beyond the arc, it's not difficult to understand why.

Also, Finley is averaging 21 minutes a game over eight games and has only taken 13 free throw attempts. In 164 minutes of play, going to the line just 6 times isn't that impressive.

That calculates out to 1.6 free throw shots per 21 minutes.

Pop sure has him moving around.
I guess?

Old 10-27-2005, 12:56 AM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

This board has been overrun with sucking-of-Dirk's-knob-ness. Longtime Mavs fans don't have a place here anymore. If there is any small piece of the franchise that you feel for in the smallest way more than you do the German, you are sacrilige here. If you have feelings for Fin, who paved the way for Nash and Dirk, or Nash, who nursed Dirk from the bottle until he could feed on his own, you are infidel.

Screw it. At least two-thirds, and more like three-fourths, of the Mavericks that I loved are now in remote outposts. I don't give two shits about Dirk's fans.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:12 AM   #29
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
This board has been overrun with sucking-of-Dirk's-knob-ness. Longtime Mavs fans don't have a place here anymore. If there is any small piece of the franchise that you feel for in the smallest way more than you do the German, you are sacrilige here. If you have feelings for Fin, who paved the way for Nash and Dirk, or Nash, who nursed Dirk from the bottle until he could feed on his own, you are infidel.

Screw it. At least two-thirds, and more like three-fourths, of the Mavericks that I loved are now in remote outposts. I don't give two shits about Dirk's fans.
Chum, nobody here even mentioned Dirk. I love the MAVERICKS, not just Dirk. Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Keith Van Horn, Jerry Stackhouse, and yes even Erick Dampier... They're all part of the team that I love. Actually Chum, nobody even mentioned Dirk. I'm not a Dirk fan, I'm a Maverick fan.

You say "longtime Mavs fans" but what does that mean really? Nobody here is being maligned for loving Fin, Nash and the rest. What does piss me off though, is when people like Madape talk about how they want the Mavericks to lose to the respective teams of former Mavs. People who are bitter about the fact that the players they liked are gone, and no longer root for the Mavs... those are not "longtime Mavs fans"... those are former Mavs fans... I think the moment you actually take pleasure in seeing the Mavericks lose is the moment you stop being a Mavs fan. Madape... he's a 2003 Mavs fan.

Chum, I want the Mavericks to win. I want Dirk Nowiztki, Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Erick Dampier, Doug Christie, and everyone else on this team to win. I don't give two shits about Nash's fans, or Finley's fans. I don't give two shits about 2003 Mavs fans.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:21 AM   #30
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Have either (Bayliss, Dirkenstein) of you watched any of the Spurs games?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:47 AM   #31
Bayliss

So what is Finley doing different than Dell Curry did in Charlotte?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:55 AM   #32
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I love the Mavs and want them to succeed. But when shithead idiots like Cuban decide to blow up a championship contending team, and then lie to me about the reason why, I'm going to call them out. Yes I'm a Bradley fan, but I'm also a Nash fan... and a Finley fan... and a Nick Van Exel fan...

The current administration treated all those players like dirt. I'll be pulling for Nash and Finley to win a championship because they deserve it. Cuban doesn't deserve shit... except maybe a good embarassing ass kicking, which is what he'll get. I'll be back on the bandwagon when the dude sells the team.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #33
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
I don't give two shits about Nash's fans, or Finley's fans. I don't give two shits about 2003 Mavs fans.
Golden State is my 2nd favorite team. Have been for the last 5 years or more. Mickael Pietrus is my 2nd favorite player. I don't root for them against the Mavs though.

I'd love to see Finley get his ring and will enjoy watching him with his new team for the next 3 seasons. I take joy in seeing how he plays with them and how Pop uses him compared to Nelson/AJ. I won't be debating anymore with those that don't even bother watching the games and then claim to know how he's used. As if another coach couldn't possibly get something better or different from a player. Or those that look at a stat and think it tells the whole story. I don't even root for the Spurs to beat the Mavs.

Hell, I have been watching the Kings this preseason and Francisco Garcia is quickly rising as another favorite player. Look out for that guy. I'm not rooting for them to beat the Mavs.

So maybe you better add GS, Pietrus, Kings and Garcia to your list that you don't give two shits about.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #34
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Seems like a couple of Mavs fans are already sad to see Finley contributing to a contender. I thought the hate would come atleast at about midseason when the Spurs would have the best record in the league. I haven't seen Finley play myself so I can't comment on his play or how he is fitting in but i've heard good things about his defense from Spurs fans. And if he is a Dell Curry of the Spurs than that's fine. That's all the Spurs need him to be. If that's what it takes for them to win a championship then i'm sure Finley nor the Spurs really care how Fin's stats look at the end of a preseason game.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #35
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Will this issue ever die?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #36
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
And if he is a Dell Curry of the Spurs than that's fine. That's all the Spurs need him to be. If that's what it takes for them to win a championship then i'm sure Finley nor the Spurs really care how Fin's stats look at the end of a preseason game.
Odd how he is willing to do that for another team, yet when he was with the Mavs that just wasn't an option.

Also, you're getting ahead of yourself. The Spurs do not need Fin to be anything. They won a championship without him and would be just as much the favorite to win again if he were not there.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:44 PM   #37
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Evidently being kicked to the curb by the franchise he gave so much to altered his priorities.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #38
MrCheerios

MrCheerios is on a distinguished road

I haven't posted here that long, but I also see what Chumdawg does: that people worship Dirk and everyone else is just a placeholder for the next great roleplayer. The worship for him from mavs fans surpasses even that of the Heat fans' love for Wade.

If Dirk were cut with the amnesty, people would be calling for Cuban's head. The outrage would be without limits. But when we cut just little ol' Fin, who was a great teammate, the face of our franchise for years, a good friend and mentor to Dirk, and an all-around great guy, people just said, "So long and good riddance." People were actually glad that he was cut. To me, that's just wrong. He wanted to stay with the mavs, but the fans made him out to be some kind of evil person, a cancer that had to be cut from our team. And now that he's joined a franchise that actually appreciates it's players he's mocked and ridiculed. The same thing's happening with Don Nelson, the coach who took us to the WCF and might have won had Dirk not been injured. And I won't even bring up Nash.

I like the mavs and I want them to win, but the lack of appreciation and hatred of former players from the fanbase is a stain on the franchise, IMO. The people's sense of loyalty is just as short as Cuban's.
MrCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #39
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: DelNegro
Evidently being kicked to the curb by the franchise he gave so much to altered his priorities.

If it wasn't his priority to do what's best for the team in the first place, then why would we want him here?

Don't forget that Cuban gave him a more than generous contract which exceeded $100-milionl not too long ago. That is a lot of money for a player drawing further and further away from his prime.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #40
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I have the NBA 06 game for PSP and it has Finley starting at the small forward spot over Bruce Bowen.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote