Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-07-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Nets being sold and Moving to NY??

NEWARK, N.J., Aug. 7 — The owners of the New Jersey Nets are talking to at least four groups about selling the team, and two of the potential buyers would move the team to New York, according to a published report.

THE STAR-LEDGER OF Newark reported in Thursday’s editions that YankeeNets, the sports conglomerate that also owns the New York Yankees baseball team and the New Jersey Devils hockey team, would break up the organization and sell off the Nets.

“You can’t really buy the Nets until they decide what they are going to do,” Donald Unger, a former Nets owner who has expressed interest in repurchasing the team, told the newspaper. “I don’t think anybody knows exactly what is going to happen.”
Partners in YankeeNets are trying to figure out how to break up the company before Sept. 1, when top investors in the company must pay former Devils owner John McMullen $35 million for the final 20 percent of the Stanley Cup champions, the newspaper reported.
The newspaper identified four potential purchasers. Bruce Ratner, president of the New York development firm Forest City-Ratner, would move the Nets to Brooklyn to a proposed arena above the Long Island Railroad Terminal. Philanthropist Lewis Katz, the chairman of the Nets, would become a partner with Ratner in the venture, the newspaper reported. Ratner’s spokeswoman had no immediate comment Thursday.
Charles Wang, owner of the Islanders and the retired chairman of Computer Associates, would move the Nets back to their original home on Long Island.
“We’re not going to comment on the specifics. However, it’s no secret Charles remains very interested in bringing an NBA franchise back to Long Island,” said Cris Botta, a spokesman for Wang.
The paper also said Alan Landis and David Gerstein, minority investors in YankeeNets, want to take control of the Nets. They did not return phone calls from the paper seeking comment, and Gerstein did not immediately return a call Thursday from The Associated Press.
Unger, a New Jersey financier and a former member of the Nets ownership group, has tried to buy the team twice before and favors keeping the Nets at the Meadowlands in a renovated arena.
Dan Klores, a spokesman for the Nets ownership group, said the reported purchasers “are just rumors,” and declined further comment. He would not say if the team is for sale.
Any move of the team would have to be approved by the NBA’s board of governors, which would take into account territorial concerns of the New York Knicks, a league spokeswoman said.

© 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2003, 12:17 AM   #2
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Being that I'm in NY I have a beat on this

According to the NYPost a few weeks back, the Nets are on the verge of being sold to Charles Wang and Sanjay Kumar (Isles owners) and moved to a new arena to be built at the North lot of the Coliseum in Uniondale, NY. The whole Brooklyn idea was brought up by Nets Chair Lewis Katz (who is form Brooklyn) and discussed but was deemed unfeasible in these post 9/11 economic times because of the 500 million dollar price tag that came with it. Katz is still trying o find ways to privatley finance the arena, but most agree that it probably WILL NOT happen and is just a pipe dream by Katz. Look for rumblings and an announcement before the season ends, when the arena deal should be completed by then in Long Island and ready for construction to proceed.

And for any Stars fans in the house, this should interest you QUITE a bit. The NJ Devils are on the verge of packing there bags to HOUSTON! With the Newark, NJ arena plan dead and the Nets bolting for NY soon, the Devils will have no place to play pretty soon due to the Xanadu developement around Giant Stadium which will REQUIRE the Continental Arena to be DEMOLISHED pretty soon, most likely in 2005 when both teams where projected to be in there new homes. YankeeNets and Puck holdings who jointly own the Devils are in a dissolving ownership marriage that will eventually lead to a nasty break-up of the entire YES sports franchise base and as you can see, that's already happening. YankeeNets and Puck Holdings are in SERIOUS talks with Rockets owner Les Alexander, who wants an NHL team in spankin' new Toyota Center to maximize profits in the suite-laden mini-Staples Center they got there. The only thing holding up the deal is that Alexander doesnt want to own a team BEFORE the nasty upcoming CBA strike in 2004, which could cripple the NHL. YankeeNets doenst want the Devils sold until after the CBA strike either because franchise values are at an all time low and they are hoping to recieve more once the CBA is reached. But according to the Post, they have an agreeement in place and figures WILL NOT be a problem. Once the whole CBA is ironed out, look for the Devils to be sold and moved to Houston to play in the Southeast Division with Wash moving to take the Devils space in the Atlantic. So it looks like you will have a new in-state rival in the NHL.

If you want more info on both of these topics, check the NJ Nets forum at FanHome, where I have several stories posted on this and where we are trying to save NJ's professional sports future. Your invited to join us.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:22 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I remember a year or so ago the idea of moving the Nets into MSG was talked about.

I'll never go to the Meadowlands to see the Nets, let alone Newark. But I wonder if I'll go to Queens or Long Island either.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
NYCdog

More than likely you would go to LI with a spankin new arena with all of the trimins' being there.

But on a more serious note, help us save a tri-state area champion form fleaing the city. I might not be a HUGE Devils fan but the represent the area well and provide for fun cross-river rivalries with the blue shirts (my team) and the Isles. Without the Devs', hockey in NY wont be as fun as it used to be with 3 area teams. And I know for a fact that you guys in Big D dont like your in-state rivals in bigger brother Houston. So why not join us on the Nets board in fanhome and help prevent the champs form fleaing to Houston? Its a win-win situation for both of us.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:10 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
And I know for a fact that you guys in Big D dont like your in-state rivals in bigger brother Houston.
I don't think anyone in Dallas is jealous of Houston - the other way around maybe. Besides I would LOVE it if the Stars had a rival in Houston.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:45 PM   #6
NYCdog

Quote:
I don't think anyone in Dallas is jealous of Houston - the other way around maybe.
That's funny. The impression I've gotten from people I've met from Dallas from my bussiness dealings is that there seems to be some sort of animosity towards your neighbor to the south or any rival for that fact. If its one lesson I've learned while being in Dallas, its dont even mention Houston or ANY OTHER CITY for that matter. Citizens in Dallas have A LOT of civic pride. It might NOT be jealousy, it might just be a case of civic pride and pure hatred of the rival down south.

Meanwhile as for Houstonites(?)..................they dont seem to care about there town at all, much less the world around them. There just there to make money. And once they have made there fortune, they "get the hell outta' dodge" and retire in Miami or Hawaii or somewhere like that. To me, there just poor pathetic souls searching and commanded by the all mighty dollar, like Enron. It knd of reminds me of a southern version of LA in which no one seems to give a flip, except for the all mighty dollar. Same attitudes there. Sad situation, but then again, being in a "New York State of mind" that I grew up and currently live in is almost the same way. So given there attitudes, it seems highly unlikely they will even be jealous of ANYONE or care about a future rivalry or EVEN care about gaining an NHL franchise, which would happen to be the Stanley Cup Champs.

That's why the Devs' need to stay in NJ, a place where people actually care about them and all of the local sports teams in general.

Just my (non-biased) two cents worth.............

Old 08-10-2003, 09:02 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Houston couldn't hold Dallas' jock strap. Having been in both cities waaaaaay too damn many times, I can assure you that Dallas has nothing to worry about from Houston.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Amen Doc
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:42 PM   #9
NYCdog

Being that I am not from either place but hev visited BOTH on numerous occasions, here is my "non-biased" take.

Dallas.................Great bar scene, perhaps no more evident then pics that floated around here of Dirk and Nash piss drunk at some bar on McKinney I believe it was. And Deep Ellum(sp?) too. Everywhere else is pretty much quiet to me though. Good shopping considering I got lost at Grapevine Mills. Wow, that place is pretty huge. Club scene is aiight. But the chicks are HOT and EASY to get too. I didn’t even have to use a cheap ass call line of mine...........they came to ME! Now, I dig that! As for transportation, I see roads are being rebuilt to look like roadways form the movie "Minority Report" all futuristic and tripped out. Especially the underground section of Expressway 75 north of Downtown. That looks like a great place for Tony Hawk to bust out a skateboard and do some tricking'. And you HVE TRAINS, and there actually clean and nice looking. Huge points here. As a follower of the arts, this is were improvement is needed. Every world class city has a great arts scene, from intimate concert venues, to museums. No to much of that going on here. But I am looking forward to seeing the Nasher Sculpture place. As for sports venues, AAC is the bomb, no explanation needed. But where is that development that was promised in the deal? Right now, it just looks like a beautiful arena out of place in some parking lot. As for the Ballpark, fantastic design but its literally in the middle of no where. This park would be great if it were in the middle of downtown Dallas. And as for Texas Stadium, being a Giants fan, I always hated that place. But seriously, a new stadium is needed to replace that relic, but at the cost of 1 BILLION DOLLARS? Are you people out of your mind. You will be paying taxes until your grand kids are dead. There's gotta be a better solution then that plan. All in all, Big D is pretty cool in my book, kinda like ATL, except Texas style.

Houston....................An exact carbon copy of LA, except no palm trees, no Hollywood, and beaches aren’t nearly as spectacular. In fact, this Galveston Island that everyone raves about and goes to for the summer TRULY SUCKS. Its like swimming in a mud hole. But on KAPPA BEACH PARTY, Galveston and South Houston is simply unbelievable. Its like Mardi Gras, except saucier. Girls hanging out of cars on the expressway showin it all............DAMN! And they wonder why so many accidents happen down there. Of course they will happen with all of that EYE CANDY flashin a brotha'. But Girls here are tough to get. There very hot alright but I need my call lines for these gals. But then they always fall in love with my New Yourka' accent and that gets them goin'. Club scene is happenin too. From Richmond AVE and Westheimer AVE(sp?) straight through Montrose all they way up to Downtown. All the clubs are hot and rockin through the night. And then there are even these little clubs run out of shacks in the middle of neighborhoods. Caberets next to church's. Talk about LACK OF ZONEING. Development is strange out here. But it all works out because anything you want or need seems to be close by, no matter where you are, EXACTLY LIKE LA. And then there is the restaurant scene which also resembles that of LA. Outside of NY and LA, I have never seen a city with SO MANY EATERIES. Burger Joints are literally stacked on top of each other. And the fancy eateries are really decked out like the newly opened Aquarium in Downtown or Kemah Boardwalk. There very attractive places to sit and lounge around. And they wonder why Houston is the fattest city in the USA. Shopping is fantastic too. I can get everything I ever dreamed of in the Galleria from any designer. Its like 5th AVE. except in a west coast mall form. Got lost in Katy Mills Mall too. In fact, every mall here seems to be top notch with the exception of Greenspoint and Norhtline Mall. Those places are straight up GHETTO! As for the Arts, what ever Texas lacks in this depatrment, Houston makes up for it. From the Woods Pavilion in farrrrrr North Houston to Bayou place in downtown to the Alley theater to Wortham Center to all of the art galleries (like Menil collection) in Montrose (or as the locals call it, "the village" because of all of its fruit cakey people) fantastic arts department, no explanation needed. And as for the sports venues, Minute MAN Park (hehe) is a fantastic place to catch a game. And best of all, its downtown surrounded freshly built development and a great blossoming collection of sports bars. Reliant Stadium is mind blowing. Truly the best most fan friendly football stadium in the NFL. That is probably why it is already hosting a Super Bowl in only its second season. Compaq Center SUCKED Donkey Balls but we won’t have to worry about that place anymore. Thank goodness. I cant wait to see Toyota Center. That place looks way farrrrr out. As for traffic, expressways look like rivers of concrete, but somehow, all of the 10 lanes are filled with bumper to bumper traffic. Why? CUZ THERE IS NO TRAIN IN THIS CITY FOR PEOPLE TO TAKE. And the public busses are straight up pathetic, filled with all of the homeless in the city. And very few cabbies. So everyone has to have a car and the freeway becomes the vital lifeblood to this city's operations, just LIKE LA. You would think for a sprawling urban metropolis like this, someone would have come up with the idea to start a subway or commuter train service. This city has the second best Expressway system in the nation behind no other..........LA, but they have no trains, which makes its mass trans system one of the worst I have ever witnessed. And what makes it even worse for visitors like myself is that the city is so DAMN big, its very easy to get lost and STAY LOST. And the drivers aren’t really friendly either. But I'm used to that, being from NY, land of road rage. All in all, I reach the same conclusion as I stated above to begin this, Houston is an almost exact carbon copy of LA with some exceptions here and there. And LA is actually one of my favorite places to visit. So that should tell everyone where Houston stands in my book. I just wonder why Houstonites dont have any civic pride for there city? There is nothing worng with this place at all. And anyone who says so is just plain lying out of there ass.

Both cities have its goods and bads. What city doesnt? But truthfully in my book, Houston has you beat. And I know that wont make some people happy around here. But alteast your way better then SA, Austin, Phoenix, Charlotte, Tampa, KC, Denver, Nashville.............So take heart and be happy for what you have because it could have been alot worse. Your city COULD be crappy and corny like Salt Lake City. But its far from that, so be thankfull.

Once again, just my non-biased visitor's point of view.

BUT THAT DOESNT MATTER AT ALL CUZ NEW YORK WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST!
And everyone knows that's a fact, jack!
Old 08-11-2003, 12:14 AM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And everyone knows that's a fact, jack!
I wouldn't let my dog take a dump in NYC. I'd be afraid that he would catch something.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:37 AM   #11
NYCdog

Default RE: Nets being sold and Moving to NY??

Nice, that's real classy of you

I see some people just can't handle the truth.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:02 PM   #12
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

New York = Capital of the World

Sorry, but it is true.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:06 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Sure if by best you mean leads the world in crime, filth, second in immorality (sorry Las Vegas is first), non-english speaking taxi drivers, freaks, etc.

Personally, I've always enjoyed the NY mystique. I cried on 9-11 and support all NY'ers on that front, but give me a country road over NY any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Your ranking system is flawed.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:51 PM   #14
Headache

Headache is on a distinguished road

C'mon how jeolous do u have to be. NYC is the best city in the world. The reason there is so much crime is because it is one of the biggest cities in the world and over 8 million ppl live here as well as chicago and L.A. have so much crime is because of population. Terrorists did that on 911 because of the importance that nyc has on the world market and their plots would hurt the us economy. If it were in dallas it wouldnt hurt the us nearly as much.
Headache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 01:24 PM   #15
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Sure if by best you mean leads the world in crime, filth, second in immorality (sorry Las Vegas is first), non-english speaking taxi drivers, freaks, etc.
The bigger the population, the higher the probability of crime rate, don't you think?

Actually, I think most of the cabbies in Dallas aren't very good with English as well. Why did you make it like it's such a horrible thing? As long as they get you to where you wanna go, does it matter if they're mute? It's not like you're in the "Taxicab confessions" on HBO.

TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:31 PM   #16
NYCdog

Quote:

Personally, I've always enjoyed the NY mystique. I cried on 9-11 and support all NY'ers on that front, but give me a country road over NY any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Your ranking system is flawed.
Just Classy Drbio, your a real work of art............

Your insensitive comments remind me of John Rocker.

And what's wrong with non-English speaking taxi drivers? They are just trying to make a living and support there family in the Greatest Nation in the WORLD, just like those who died in the Towers on 9-11. If you can cry and care for those hard working who died in the attacks, you SHOULDN'T be racially insensitive toward these hard working people. After all they are all the same as you, HUMAN.

And what's wrong with Freaks? There Human too, you know. They just have a different life style from "normal folk" like you.

I guess Dallas isnt culturally diverse, cuz apparently you havent been exposed to the REAL WORLD, to the ethnic diversity and different cultures and foreign languages OR the as you call it "Freak" (or Alternative, Gothic) nature. May I recommend you take a trip diverse places like New York, (MY hometown, the very city you diss, and then claim to enjoy its mystique and support) or if that's too far and SCARY for you, to Houston on Montrose Ave around "the Village" and visit and get to know these Freaks. There quite intelligent and sensible people. And despite there ghoulish vampire looks, there very friendly and easy going people. And while your at it, head north to the Hispanic rich Denver Harbor area, then head south on Westheimer to Hillcroft Ave and get to know all of the Asian Cultures (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Indian, Middle Eastern) They all run businesses and world renown restaurants here, with very tasty international dishes might I add. You do know that the "Guru" word you use to describe your status on this board is Indian and NON-ENGLISH? And if you still want to stay closer to your White Culture (a little of your own medicine, how does it taste now?) then head to Upper Kirby north of Reliant Stadium where all of the Brits, Irish, and Germans mill around in there Pubs. And once you get to know them all (Freaks and Non-English included), I think you will agree that there all not that BAD as you think.

Personally, after reviewing your comments, I believe you are simply JEALOUS because your hometown might not be great as other cities. You just need to remember, every city has its good things and its bad things. Try and focus on the good things in Dallas and STOP making your hometown look bad with your poor commentary.

Just a suggestion, But I suggest you take it seriously. Or your going to end up offending a lot of people on this board. I will be waiting for your response.

Old 08-13-2003, 09:58 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
If it were in dallas it wouldnt hurt the us nearly as much.
The ranting of idiots. Welcome trolls.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:16 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Oh good grief. What a retard. OK, I'll bite idiot.....

Quote:
Your insensitive comments remind me of John Rocker.
Yep. You found me out. I am a racist bastard. Idiot. Nice to see someone with 20 whole posts (all negative) shows up to troll around and compare folks to John Rocker. Moron.

Quote:
They are just trying to make a living and support there family in the Greatest Nation in the WORLD, just like those who died in the Towers on 9-11. If you can cry and care for those hard working who died in the attacks, you SHOULDN'T be racially insensitive toward these hard working people. After all they are all the same as you, HUMAN.
Oh yeah...I am racially insensitive.....get a life retard. I'm all for people working hard to make a living. More power to them.

Quote:
There Human too, you know. They just have a different life style from "normal folk" like you.
I welcome all freaks. Even ones as stupid as you.

Quote:
I guess Dallas isnt culturally diverse, cuz apparently you havent been exposed to the REAL WORLD, to the ethnic diversity and different cultures and foreign languages OR the as you call it "Freak" (or Alternative, Gothic) nature. May I recommend you take a trip diverse places like New York, (MY hometown, the very city you diss, and then claim to enjoy its mystique and support) or if that's too far and SCARY for you, to Houston on Montrose Ave around "the Village" and visit and get to know these Freaks. There quite intelligent and sensible people. And despite there ghoulish vampire looks, there very friendly and easy going people. And while your at it, head north to the Hispanic rich Denver Harbor area, then head south on Westheimer to Hillcroft Ave and get to know all of the Asian Cultures (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Indian, Middle Eastern) They all run businesses and world renown restaurants here, with very tasty international dishes might I add. You do know that the "Guru" word you use to describe your status on this board is Indian and NON-ENGLISH? And if you still want to stay closer to your White Culture (a little of your own medicine, how does it taste now?) then head to Upper Kirby north of Reliant Stadium where all of the Brits, Irish, and Germans mill around in there Pubs. And once you get to know them all (Freaks and Non-English included), I think you will agree that there all not that BAD as you think.
So many points in this runon paragraph......Dallas is not my hometown dipwad, but it is tremendously diverse. I've been to the filthy cesspool you call home several times. I enjoyed parts but overall it was a filthy gloomy place. The country life is a million times more inviting and enjoyable. As for freaks...there are freaks everywhere. Noone ever said anything about their intelligence, etc so don't try to twist words because it won't work. I've been to more culturally diverse areas than you can ever hope to visit. I speak Japanese having lived there as a military kid (lived all over the world). I am 100% confident that I appreciate the cultural value of this world a lot more than you ever hope to, but I could really care less. I don't describe myself as a Guru. It is a post count designation. But if you weren't here just to troll and actually tried to learn about the board you might figure that out. Noone said anything about WHITE culture. I challenge you to quote it. You can't. Why? Because you are here only to incite responses and troll. I don't think bad about anyone...except turds like yourself that is. Again, quote where I said this. Again...you cannot. You are only interested in inferring what is not there and trying to start up shit. Thanks for your worthless contribution.

Quote:
Personally, after reviewing your comments, I believe you are simply JEALOUS because your hometown might not be great as other cities. You just need to remember, every city has its good things and its bad things. Try and focus on the good things in Dallas and STOP making your hometown look bad with your poor commentary.
Oh yeah...I am sooooo jealous of NY. Idiot. If you cannot acknowledge that NY is filled to the brim with questionable people, filth, high crime, and other negative things, then you have a problem. It is well documented. Now, if you wish to share your experiences of the positive things NY has to offer, then many of us would be interested in hearing them...but only if you can keep it on topic and not try to twist others words to fit your agenda.

Quote:
Just a suggestion, But I suggest you take it seriously. Or your going to end up offending a lot of people on this board. I will be waiting for your response.
Thanks for your worthless suggestion. I'll flush it with the rest of your drivel. I said nothing offensive...only factual. If you have such thin skin that you can't see it....too damn bad. Did you enjoy the wait?
Old 08-13-2003, 10:23 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
Quote:
The bigger the population, the higher the probability of crime rate, don't you think?

Actually, I think most of the cabbies in Dallas aren't very good with English as well. Why did you make it like it's such a horrible thing? As long as they get you to where you wanna go, does it matter if they're mute? It's not like you're in the "Taxicab confessions" on HBO.

Trip- It was an add-on. I should have left that one part out. It's not necc. a bad thing as you point out. During one particular trip to NY, we could not get an english speaking driver and he drove us all over the place running up the fare. I am pretty sure he used the non english speaking role to run up the fare. Bigger cities obviously have higher potential for crime, but that is not an absolute. NY leads the league in crime though. Guilianni was a great leader in the war on crime in NY and his leadership resulted in a significant drop in the crime rate. If Bloomberg can continue, then NY has hope on that front.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #20
NYCdog

You mean I waited for that pathetic response. I figured maybe you would realize where I am coming from and try to end this matter in a civilized manner. Maybe you would understand. All you did was just diss me in every way possible, try to dismiss me being that I am a newbie, and try to label me a "troll." But now I know, no matter how many posts you have and no matter how long you have been here, you have no CLASS AT ALL.

As for me being a troll, review my posts, Guru. As you can PLAINLY see as clear as damn daylight, I came here to add some news to the "Nets to New York" front. I also invited Dallas fans to join us at the Nets forum to help prevent the Devs form moving to your instate rivals. And you say all of my posts are negative and I'm a troll for that. You wouldnt know a troll if you came up right behind you and bit you in your ass!

I'm NOT here to troll at all. All the time, I was cool. I did NOT disrspect ANYONE at anytime AT ALL! I did NOT incite anything! I challenge you to quote it. Find an example of this. Look through EVERY one of my 20 posts since I joined this board. Why? Becuase you can't an example of me being a "troll" either! That is with the exception of my last post, WHICH I BLASTED YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS. And it was deserved, not an act of "troll-ism." It was YOUR comments that prompted this. Your comments SET ME OFF! I dont care who you are or how high your status is here, as a New Yorker and more importantly, a Foreigner, I will NOT take this lightly at all.

Why dont you review what Rocker said and compare it to what you stated.

Rocker
Quote:
Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark looking like you're [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

On New York City itself: "The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"
DrBio
Quote:
You basicly touched on everything Rocker said, except without all of the disgusting elaboration.

But still it is the same, all negative and intended to be a DISS against foreigners and New York, a city you NOW all of a sudden support. What do you think I am, stupid or something? Its too late to backtrack now. The damage has been done. So why dont you be A freakin MAN and admit you were wrong for those comments and save all of the lame excuses. Be a MAN and end this in a civilized manner!!!!!

Once again, I will be waiting. Don't waste my time..............
Old 08-14-2003, 12:13 AM   #21
Drbio
Banned

blah blah blah...the Rocker thing just shows your weak minded. And a dipwad troll. Go away little boy. And yes...you are incredibly stupid. I'll put up my 18K+ posts against your 20 any day. You'll find no racism there...on the contrary, you will find support. You on the other hand are only here to flame up the topic of racism. Playing the race card where there is no racism (only implied by you dipwad) is weak minded.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:20 AM   #22
NYCdog

I didnt have to imply it, YOU SAID IT!

And if you dont like that, maybe you should mind your tongue, before someone busts up your grill.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:27 AM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
I didnt have to imply it, YOU SAID IT!

And if you dont like that, maybe you should mind your tongue, before someone busts up your grill.

If you think you can bring it little boy feel free. You implied things that were not there. You play the race card to incite. It is weak minded and extremely transparent.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:58 AM   #24
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

you know, john rocker made his comments discussing a topic similar to what you brought up originally, drbio: his dislike of new york. and the backlash was, of course, tremendous.

also, drbio, no one called you a racist. he said your comments reminded him of john rocker's comments. and unfortunately, i'd have to agree with him. the comments are indeed the similar. you were the one that mentioned racism. i believe that you are not a racist. i haven't seen anything you've posted to make me think otherwise.

but i can definitely see how the comments would offend new yorkers, and i also see how they are similar to rocker's comments (not as bad or in detail, but similar).

and take this how you will, but i definitely think your arguments would hold more water with less insults and less labeling people as trolls.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:19 AM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Fair enough BBL. But when someone with under 25 posts comes in here and attacks right out of the gate it is very suspect. We've all defended established posters when this occurs in the past. He inferred what was clearly not there. And if you will look back, he did instigate the race issue. Calling someone racially insensitive is the equivalent of being called a racist. I will not tolerate that crap. It is weak minded and unfair.

Also, he said intended to be a DISS against foreigners and New York. This is a clear point where he implies somethig that is not there. There was no intent to "Diss" foreigners and my intent was to reveal that NYC is not the end all great city that this guy proclaims. NYC has significant problems that we fortunately don't have to worry about as much.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:49 AM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ok, fair enough as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i did not see the words "racially insensitive." but you are indeed correct.

as far as the post total goes, a lot of people that have low posts are indeed trolls, but we also have to avoid labelling someone a troll and dismissing them, when they could very well be a good poster. i think nycdog made some valid points, and he seems ok to me. in both of your cases, i'd say that things definitely could have been worded better.

also, drbio, i'd back you up (and a lot of the regulars on this board) on pretty much anything. cause i do think you are respected on this board. but i also try to be objective.

hell, i don't like new york either, but i've never been there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2003, 03:34 PM   #27
NYCdog

Big Boy,

Thank you for ignoring my status and low post total and instead, treating me fairly and understanding where I come from on this subject. And thank you for sticking up for me , a newbie, in this situation. It speaks volumes of you, in a positive way. You have gained my respect. I greatly appreciate your support. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I never came here to be a troll. I never go to any board to be a troll. In fact, if you visit Fanhome.com, you will see that in just a mere 30 posts, I have become referred to as "the man" in sections like Sports logos, basketball, etc......for breaking scoops and major news before it happens. I came here just to have a little fun and get to know people in other areas. And I do have a lot of fun here, especially in the Korean soccer girl (Shin Mina) thread if you get my drift. I just didn’t agree with Drbio's comments and I felt I had to respond to them. That's all. And when your a newbie, its kind of tough for anyone to take your comments seriously. Its kind of tough to be understood. And its easier for someone to label you a troll when disagreements take place, which was happening for me in this situation. I just wanted to be understood and wanted respect for foreigners. I will still continue to post here form time to time. And rest assured, ALL of my posts will be in POSITIVE form, just like it has been before this disagreement.

DrBio,

As for me playing the race card, just understand that in my view, your comments on non-English speakers were put in a negative form that could easily be labeled as offensive toward others. Put yourself in a foreigner's shoes who doesn't speak or understand English very well and review your comments. Maybe then you could see and understand where I was coming from.

And hopefully then we can drop this silly matter in favor of more constructive conversations...................
Old 08-14-2003, 03:44 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

NYCDog- had you said that initially, it wouldn't have created a stir. Had you not accused MFFL and I both of being "classless" and inferred (from my pov) the racial stuff it would not have happened. Had your post not been so aggressive, but rather been inquisitive or just more passive, it wouldn't have happened. Now that you have said in a polite manner "where you were coming from" I can see what you mean. I'm willing to move on. As for the troll thing, we have been burned here a lot in the past by posters coming in, making only a couple of posts (if that many) and then going on the offensive. It's hard to tell the good ones from the bad, but the good ones persevere and the bad ones flush out. It wouldn't bother me a bit for you to persevere and to engage you in conversation in the future.

see you in the forums.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #29
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road

Don't want to ignite the debate again...but this type of stuff is what sets people off....

"BUT THAT DOESNT MATTER AT ALL CUZ NEW YORK WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST!
And everyone knows that's a fact, jack!"

Anyone who comes in with that kind of arrogance is indeed suspect. What would you do if Doc went into the Jersey forum and he said...
"BUT THAT DOESNT MATTER AT ALL CUZ TEXAS WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST!
And everyone knows that's a fact, jack!"

That's baiting and everyone knows it's an awful lot like a troll would do.
Having said all that...let's move past it and remember that these days, being an American no matter where you're from should move us to be respectful towards each-other. Outside the states...we're all walking bullseyes.

Edit: Grammar
Old 08-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #30
MFFL
Guru

Great post senorfrog.

I have to admit that the arrogance of NYCdog's post really got to me.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:16 PM   #31
senorfrog

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
you know, john rocker made his comments discussing a topic similar to what you brought up originally, drbio: his dislike of new york. and the backlash was, of course, tremendous.

also, drbio, no one called you a racist. he said your comments reminded him of john rocker's comments. and unfortunately, i'd have to agree with him. the comments are indeed the similar. you were the one that mentioned racism. i believe that you are not a racist. i haven't seen anything you've posted to make me think otherwise.

but i can definitely see how the comments would offend new yorkers, and i also see how they are similar to rocker's comments (not as bad or in detail, but similar).

and take this how you will, but i definitely think your arguments would hold more water with less insults and less labeling people as trolls.
Love ya BRB...but you're absolutely wrong here. How can you say "I can definitely see how the comments would offend new yorkers" when there is absolute disregard for what incited the terse remarks in the first place? It's like the kid who got the belt cause dad only saw him retaliating for a hit. Only difference is...we have posting instant replay here. And to compare this to John Rocker is laughable, IMO. I think...being truly objective...that I may have reacted similarily if I had the time and wherewithal to counter. I am an East Coast guy...but I don't go around trying to make it known.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:26 PM   #32
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

both sets of comments can definitely be seen as inflammatory. i was just trying to see it from both sides. and i will stand by my guns and say that the comments were SIMILAR to rocker's, but not nearly as awful. and the initial posts by nycdog were indeed juvenile... but the follow-up posts were not. kinda almost seems like two different posters.

there was instigation, and then an inflamed response. i don't feel that i was siding with one poster over the other. like i said, i'll back up drbio on pretty much anything, but i also think it's fair to give some posters a chance (even after a juvenile post).
Old 08-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #33
senorfrog

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
both sets of comments can definitely be seen as inflammatory. i was just trying to see it from both sides. and i will stand by my guns and say that the comments were SIMILAR to rocker's, but not nearly as awful. and the initial posts by nycdog were indeed juvenile... but the follow-up posts were not. kinda almost seems like two different posters.

there was instigation, and then an inflamed response. i don't feel that i was siding with one poster over the other. like i said, i'll back up drbio on pretty much anything, but i also think it's fair to give some posters a chance (even after a juvenile post).
I hear you now BBL...but your first post in the thread pointed only at Doc, you have to admit. Being truly objective demands this acknowledgement of fault on both sides up front. I'm not asking for a mea culpa from NYC, but he should not be surprised at the reaction he got with his comments. I'll stick to my guns on that.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:49 AM   #34
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh i agree completely. sorry if i singled you out doc, that wasn't my intention. both posters are to blame. that's my verdict.

next up on people's court...

gotta watch wapner... wapner...
Old 09-16-2003, 10:04 PM   #35
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

And now...back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Nets Placed on Market
Added: 16th September, 2003 9:05 AM ET

Newsday: The owners of the Nets officially put the NBA team on the market yesterday, hiring Goldman Sachs and Lehman Brothers as financial advisers to broker the sale.

Three suitors, including Charles Wang, co-owner of the Islanders, who would like to relocate the team to Nassau County, already have submitted documents to YankeeNets, the four-year-old holding company that controls the two teams, certifying their interest in acquiring the Nets.

Now the process will become more formal, with the investment banks first issuing a sales memorandum, which outlines the team's finances, including revenues from attendance and other sources, costs of player contracts and other information, to prospective owners. Bidders will then have a chance to meet with the YankeeNets board, ask questions and submit an official bid. There also would be a chance to re-bid, sources said, in order to obtain the highest price for the franchise, which Forbes recently valued at $218 million.

One person involved in the process said he expected a deal to be completed, subject to NBA approval, by the end of the year, in part because "several solid buyers" have already been identified. "Any one of them can close a deal," the source said.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:23 AM   #36
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

NYC is a cool city. The subway is dirty, as are the streets, and there are places where the stench is rather strong, like Times Square as one walks over the grates, but I like it. Comparing it to Dallas seems to be an exercise in futility as the two are set up much differently, where NY relies on public transportation, Dallas relies on highways with cars, where NYC builds up, Dallas builds out. Dallas is nice too, not like NYC, but I'm a fan, sortof kindof.