Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why does Edwards even open his mouth at all?

Edwards: 'When John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk. Get up out of that wheelchair and walk again'...

Brother John preaches on!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Default RE: Why does Edwards even open his mouth at all?

This coming today....just after the death of Mr. Reeves. Sickening.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Why does Edwards even open his mouth at all?

I sure could use some snake oil right about now...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Umm I think you got your chronology wrong.

Do you have any evidence at all on when he made those statements? Are you even going to specify where he was when he said it? Until you do that, there is no reason to believe the statements were made after Reeve's death

and it is not wrong for him to use Reeves. Kerry and Reeves were good friends, and they were both working on the same agenda with stem-cell research.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

According to drudge they were made this morning. And it is sickening to use the death of Reeves in his political rantings. I don't care if he knew him or not. It is sensationalistic crap that if performed by Bush would be headline news across the land. People would riot in the streets if this were Cheney saying this. It's the old lib double standard in all of its full glory.

EDIT: I just went back t osee if it were explicity stated and the story is being updated apparently. When I click on the link it refreshes the page. I'm fairly certain it said earlier today because it was talking about Edwards stumping for votes too.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
According to drudge they were made this morning. And it is sickening to use the death of Reeves in his political rantings. I don't care if he knew him or not. It is sensationalistic crap that if performed by Bush would be headline news across the land. People would riot in the streets if this were Cheney saying this. It's the old lib double standard in all of its full glory.
Im not finding any information on it, so I am withholding judgement until I am provided with accurate reporting of when and where the comments were made.

As for the liberal double standard, you can bake in your own juices on that one. I'm not going to get involved.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

see my edit one minute before your post.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
does that change anything? I havent seen any data, and you havent provided any.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly hope that Edwards has been misquoted here. The whole issue of exploiting a dead man notwithstanding, it is the absolute lowest of political lows to make such an empty promise on such an important issue. I think that most of here recognize it is typical politicanspeak, but how would you feel if you were in a wheelchair yourself? Here is a guy promising--and again, I certainly hope this quote is worng--promising that if Kerry is elected people in wheelchairs will walk again.

What level could Edwards stoop to that would be more base? Next will we hear a promise to cure AIDS? Or cancer? Or raise your dead loved ones? I mean, really. Why would someone so powerful stop at just restoring the ability to walk?

People who vote for Kerry/Edwards based on their campaign promises deserve for that duo to be elected. They really, really do.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
does that change anything? I havent seen any data, and you havent provided any.
But you're willing to speculate on the death of Christopher Reeve saying that it showed signs of neglect and was totally preventable?
Quote:
From what I hear, he died from implications from an infected bedsore that clotted. That was totally preventable, and shows signs that he was neglected.
So Doc should provide backup to his statements when you fail to do the same?
Quote:

Do you have any evidence at all on when he made those statements? Are you even going to specify where he was when he said it? Until you do that, there is no reason to believe the statements were made after Reeve's death

and it is not wrong for him to use Reeves. Kerry and Reeves were good friends, and they were both working on the same agenda with stem-cell research.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:09 PM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:

Apparently he made the remarks Monday morning in Newton, Iowa:

Quote:
Veep candidate Edwards visits Newton

By TOM OWENS
link

Talk of debates, jobs and health care highlighted the Monday morning question-and-answer session held by John Edwards, the Democratic nominee for vice president.

More than 1,300 supporters filled the Newton High School gymnasium for a 30-minute speech by Edwards, followed by questions from the audience.

Entering to a recording of Chuck Berry's "Johnny Be Good," Edwards launched into comments about past and future political debates.

"On Friday night, President Bush asked the moderator a question that should be most telling to the American people," Edwards said. "Bush asked, 'Is my time up yet?' In November, with your help, John Kerry can show George Bush his time is up."

Edwards recounted Bush's debate remarks about not importing prescription drugs from Canada, but how that policy might change after the election.

"If he's allowing prescription drugs from Canada by December," Edwards said, "he'll have to do it while he's packing to leave the White House."

Reaching back to his North Carolina roots, Edwards offered one prediction for the upcoming final debate between Bush and Senator John Kerry, the Democratic presidential nominee.

"They're going to try every way they know how to put lipstick on this pig," Edwards said of Bush's perspectives on his current Republican administration. "But we know a pig is still a pig."

No jokes or putdowns from Edwards were aimed at the Maytag Corporation. Not once did he single out the Newton-based manufacturer by name. However, a pro-labor theme permeated the Edwards rally.

After the local United Auto Workers president led the crowd in the pledge of allegiance, laid-off Maytag worker Brenda Breckinridge introduced Edwards.

"We want places like Newton to grow," Edwards said. "American workers are the best in the world and they deserve a president who is working for them, not against them."

Other union members appeared throughout the crowd wearing "quit outsourcing our jobs" T-shirts. Edwards teed off with the theme.

"This administration thinks outsourcing millions of American jobs is good for our economy," he said. "I'll tell you what would be good. Let's outsource Bush and Cheney."

Edwards explained how all tax incentives will end to companies who move jobs overseas, while new tax breaks will reward companies who keep jobs in America.

He said labor will be a high priority for the new Kerry administration.

"On the first day John Kerry is president, we'll reverse these overtime rules," he promised.

Regarding health care, Edwards echoed the Kerry plan of providing the same health insurance to private citizens that Congressional members enjoy.

Edwards took time to honor a recently-deceased actor while outlining one health care goal.

"We will do stem cell research," he vowed. "We will stop juvenile diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other debilitating diseases. America just lost a great champion for this cause in Christopher Reeve. People like Chris Reeve will get out of their wheelchairs and walk again with stem cell research."

An audience member fed up with increased co-payments and rising costs asked Edwards how he could provide better health care for veterans. With suit coat off and sleeves rolled up, Edwards seized the question.

"They're nickle and diming our veterans," he said. "Now, they want to charge veterans a $250 enrollment fee. Speaking for me and John Kerry, we feel veterans paid their fee when they put on the uniform of the United States.

"No veteran is going to have to worry if they'll get health care when we are in the White House," Edwards concluded. "You were there for us. We'll be there for you."

Rita Figgins of State Center attended the Newton rally.

"I'm a senior citizen," she said. "I want seniors taken care of. I want someone to get down these huge doctor bills. Kerry and Edwards will help the middle class."

---

Tom Owens may be reached at towens@timesrepublican.com
Old 10-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #12
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

drbio has a point about the double standard.
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
But you're willing to speculate on the death of Christopher Reeve saying that it showed signs of neglect and was totally preventable?
Give me a break Murphy. I dont want to hear your crap anymore.

you are calling me out as a hypocrite but it appears that you don't see subtlety. In the lounge I said what I had heard and Doc could have legitimately told me, what you told me- that I had no evidence and that I was probably full of crap. What did I say to Doc? I thought he was wrong and that he hadn't provided the data. I am fully aware of the fallibility of my comment, and it turns out that the rumor that I had heard before reading up on it, was wrong.

My question to you is how is what I said here any different than what you said to me in the lounge? If there is somehow hypocricy built within what I did, then you are equally guilty of it. As it is, there isnt any hypocricy.

and besides that, I said "From what I hear", which was the honest truth. It may have been a shifty way of avoiding evidence but it was absolutely true. When someone says that they hear something, it is is immediately dismissed because there obviously isnt any evidence. When someone claims something is true without that clause, they are implying that there is some evidence and that it should be ponied up.In both cases, there was dubitable evidence, and in both cases someone called the poster out. If you are interested in truth and not in harassing me, you would have appreciated what I had done in requesting evidence.

I guess you needed it pointed out for you, and I forgive you for the shortcoming. I just would prefer if you call me out, it would be something legitimate, or better yet, you do as I have requested and stop taking jabs at me in general. It has gotten more than old.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What level could Edwards stoop to that would be more base? Next will we hear a promise to cure AIDS? Or cancer? Or raise your dead loved ones? I mean, really. Why would someone so powerful stop at just restoring the ability to walk?
Nah, he's not going to cure AIDS or cancer. Just "juvenile diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other debilitating diseases."

Old 10-12-2004, 07:29 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Erica, what you're accusing doc of doing is very similar to what you did in the lounge. If you cannot see that, then I am sorry. I really don't know what to say to someone that does not see the obvious.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:59 PM   #16
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I don't see what the big deal is. All he said was that "people like Christopher Reeve" will walk again. People like Christopher Reeve, meaning people that couldn't walk. If he were to insult him, or say something mean in the smallest sense then we'd have a problem on our hands. Is it that bad to simply mention someone's name after they've died?

Edwards has said a lot of stupid things in his campaign but IMO, this is not one of them.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 09:23 PM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

TRIBUTES POUR IN FOR SUPERMAN REEVES
Published in News & Star on Monday, October 11th 2004

The worlds of film and medicine paid tribute today to Superman actor Christopher Reeve, who has died of heart failure at the age of 52.

Reeve fell into a coma on Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home and died on Sunday, his publicist Wesley Combs said.

He became a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research after being paralysed from the shoulders down after a riding accident in 1995.

Professor Colin Blakemore, chief executive of the Medical Research Council, said Reeve was a “remarkable man”.

“Christopher Reeve was known to all of us for his campaigning and for his courage,” he told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

“It is absolutely wrong to raise false expectations about the speed with which medical research progresses, but it takes people like Reeve, with their commitment and their certainty that they will be cured, to carry it forward.

“It takes extraordinary individuals like Reeve to recognise that investment and effort is worthwhile in the long run to work for others.

“He always said that he was working for himself and was convinced that there would be a cure, but I think probably deep in his mind he knew his efforts would be far more likely to pay off for others than for him.”

Film director Michael Winner paid tribute to Reeve as the “archetypal movie star” and said his death was a tragedy.

“I think he grew to personify a heroic struggle against disability,” he said.

“We all kind of believed that we would one day see him walk again and instead we see him die really very young.

“It’s terribly, terribly sad.

“My main memory of him is of his enormous charm. He had great skill as a screen actor and was the archetypal movie star. He had great charisma.

“He was a kind of action actor and to see an action actor who played Superman paralysed and hardly able to speak was terrible, but we all had hope for him and it is tragic that those hopes have been dashed.”

John Cavanagh, of charity Spinal Research, who met Reeve several times, said the star’s work had been “extremely significant” in raising the profile of spinal cord research and giving hope to those with injuries.

Mr Cavanagh, head of research at the charity, said: “In terms of funding worldwide he has made a very big impact.

“His contribution was important because he was such a public figure.

“He realised he had a public face and he would make full use of that.

“He also gave other sufferers a lot of hope.”

Total Film magazine editor Matt Mueller said Reeve would be remembered for his “incredible bravery”.

“After his accident, he had a huge impact,” he said.

“He lobbied very hard for stem cell research, and raised people’s consciousness about having to live life in a wheelchair. He changed people’s attitudes.

“He will be remembered for his incredible bravery. He obviously had these injuries but refused to accept it and feel sorry for himself.

“He made some incredible strides. He was a real fighter.”

<u>Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound he had developed – a common complication for people living with paralysis.

In the past week the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.
</u>

Dana Reeve, Christopher’s wife, said in a statement today: “On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband.

“I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years.”

Reeve was a virtual unknown before he shot to superstardom in the 1978 blockbuster Superman.

The movie’s producers were looking for an unknown actor to star in the title role alongside Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman.

Reeve screen-tested for the role and, through his meticulous preparation and close physical resemblance to the comic-strip hero, was given the part.

The film and its three sequels turned Reeve into a worldwide star and grossed 300 million US dollars (£167 million).

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Virginia.

After the accident, enduring months of therapy allowed him to breathe for longer and longer periods without a respirator.

Reeve emerged to lobby Congress for better insurance protection against catastrophic injury and to move an Academy Award audience to tears with a call for more films about social issues.

He also returned to directing, and even returned to acting in a 1998 production of Rear Window, a modern update of the Hitchcock thriller about a man in a wheelchair who becomes convinced a neighbour has been murdered.

“Hollywood needs to do more,” he said in his 1996 Oscar awards appearance.

“Let’s continue to take risks. Let’s tackle the issues. In many ways our film community can do it better than anyone else. There is no challenge, artistic or otherwise, that we can’t meet.”

In 2002, Reeve’s doctors said he was able to move some of his fingers and toes.

The star could also feel a pin prick over most of his body and could distinguish between hot and cold, and sharp and dull sensations.

At the time, doctors said the progress indicated that he might one day be able to walk again.

In an interview at the time, Reeve said the greatest thing was being able to feel the hugs of his wife and his three children.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 10:28 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

EL- I think you misunderstood my post about the edit. I was trying to say that I would check on the date and time of the Edwards remark. I did not mean for that to be an argument about the statement. Misunderstanding. No big deal.

Turns out that my post was correct. I had seen it on drudge, they took it down to update the story, and then kg posted the story reporting a Monday utterance. Since Reeves died Sunday, Edwards was clearly out of line imho.

Using an emotional death like Reeves for his political gain is sickening. Also, noone can deny that if Bush or Cheney had done the same thing that either one would be crucified by the MSM and liberal press (and lefties on this site). The double standard shines brightly.
Those were my points. And I was correct in my original post about the chronology.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:08 AM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

definitely too soon, and sorry about the misunderstanding.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:42 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

No prob EL!

Here is CNN's take on this......

Frist knocks Edwards over stem cell comment Edwards invokes legacy of Christopher Reeve

Tuesday, October 12, 2004 Posted: 8:47 PM EDT (0047 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist attacked Sen. John Edwards on Tuesday over a comment the Democratic vice presidential candidate made regarding actor Christopher Reeve.

Edwards said Reeve, who died Sunday, "was a powerful voice for the need to do stem cell research and change the lives of people like him.

"If we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve will get up out of that wheelchair and walk again," Edwards said.

Frist, a Republican from Tennessee, called Edwards' remark "crass" and "shameful," and said it gave false hope that new treatments were imminent.

Edwards campaign spokesman Mark Kornblau hit back, "Yes, breakthrough research often takes time, but that's never been a reason to not even try -- until George Bush."

Edwards made the comment Monday while he was stumping in Newton, Iowa.

Frist, who was a heart surgeon before coming to the Senate, responded Tuesday in a conference call with reporters arranged by the Bush-Cheney campaign.

"I find it opportunistic to use the death of someone like Christopher Reeve -- I think it is shameful -- in order to mislead the American people," Frist said. "We should be offering people hope, but neither physicians, scientists, public servants or trial lawyers like John Edwards should be offering hype.

"It is cruel to people who have disabilities and chronic diseases, and, on top of that, it's dishonest. It's giving false hope to people, and I can tell you as a physician who's treated scores of thousands of patients that you don't give them false hope."

Kornblau, Edwards' spokesman, said, "What's crass is George Bush standing in the way of promising stem cell research."

Edwards and Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry have been critical of President Bush's decision to limit federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.

The candidates charge the federal limitation is hindering scientific progress on therapies that could offer hope to people suffering from maladies such as Parkinson's disease, juvenile diabetes and Alzheimer's disease.

Reeve, who was left paralyzed after a horseback-riding accident nine years ago, was an advocate for increased funding for new treatments for spinal cord injuries and stem cell research.

Kerry mentioned Reeve by name in Friday's presidential debate while criticizing Bush's stem cell policy.

Three years ago, citing moral and ethical considerations in destroying human embryos to extract stem cells, Bush limited federal research funding to embryonic stem cell lines already in existence.

Research using stem cells extracted from adult cells was not affected by the policy, nor was privately funded research using new embryonic stem cell lines.

The president and his supporters note that his administration is the first to offer any federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, accusing Democrats of trying to create the impression that Bush has banned the practice.

Criticizing Edwards' comment linking the lifting of Bush's policy to medical breakthroughs, Frist said research related to spinal cord injuries does not involve embryonic stem cells but rather adult stem cells, "where the president has absolutely no restrictions, no limitations and there are about 140 treatments."

Embryonic stem cells are believed to be able to develop into more kinds of cells than adult stem cells, and thus more useful in potentially treating diseases. Yet some research indicates that might not be the case, and the National Institutes of Health has called for further study of both adult and embryonic stem cells.

"Stem cell research is promising," Frist said. "The president vigorously promotes adult and embryonic stem cell research, but he does it with an ethical and moral framework."