Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #2361
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Bad Radio is on vacation this week, so for their weekly podcast their intern put together all (or at least a bunch) of their yearly interviews with Dirk, starting with one in 2000, if I heard correctly.

I haven't had a chance to listen to these yet, but I'm sure they're awesome.

http://www.bobanddan.com/Podcast/110715a.mp3

http://www.bobanddan.com/Podcast/110715b.mp3
Thanks for sharing, this is awesome!!!

In the second interview he mentions how the Big Three (Dirk, Fin and Nash) had to think twice before taking a shot, because they added shooters like Antoine Walker.... ha ha ha, that made me smile...

Last edited by twelli; 07-17-2011 at 06:50 AM.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #2362
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Dirk has been called a Nazi so many times these past 13 years... He's no more of a Nazi than Kobe or Shaq.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #2363
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I'm sure this has already been talked about a lot in this thread, but I just rewatched some Dirk greatness and I think it bears repeating here.

Mavericks vs. Thunder, Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals, 2 minutes and 34 seconds left in regulation, and the Thunder are back up by 10 on a Russell Westbrook jumper. What follows in just over a minute of game time might be, IMO, the finest minute of offensive basketball of Dirk Nowitzki's career.

First, he splashes a quick release, early-in-the-shot-clock three off of a Jason Kidd assist. Then, he hits a one-handed, off balance jumper that Jeff Van Gundy would later describe as an 11 difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10. Finally, he spins left, spins right, fakes a shot, steps through the defense of Nick Collison and swishes his patented one-legged fadeaway to finish a personal 7-0 run on the Thunder. Van Gundy would call this shot a difficulty of 12. Dirk would later go on to hit two clutch free throws with only 6 seconds left to force the game into overtime.

I've seen a lot of great performances by Dirk in my life, but I'm not sure if I ever saw him as devastatingly unstoppable as he was in those three consecutive offensive possessions. Feel free to challenge me, though. There are probably too many great performances by Dirk in these playoffs -- let alone, his career -- for me to remember. I'd love to hear what others might think.

Last edited by jleefilled; 07-18-2011 at 10:50 PM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #2364
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
Mavericks vs. Thunder, Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals, 2 minutes and 34 seconds left in regulation, and the Thunder are back up by 10 on a Russell Westbrook jumper. What follows in just over a minute of game time might be, IMO, the finest minute of offensive basketball of Dirk Nowitzki's career.

First, he splashes a quick release, early-in-the-shot-clock three off of a Jason Kidd assist. Then, he hits a one-handed, off balance jumper that Jeff Van Gundy would later describe as an 11 difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10. Finally, he spins left, spins right, fakes a shot, steps through the defense of Nick Collison and swishes his patented one-legged fadeaway to finish a personal 7-0 run on the Thunder. Van Gundy would call this shot a difficulty of 12. Dirk would later go on to hit two clutch free throws with only 6 seconds left to force the game into overtime.
Some of it they used on this short video and watching it in slow-motion gives you for sure a boner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heu-RSRP8SM
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 AM   #2365
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Making Collision Your Bitch 101
Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #2366
Mascha99

Mascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really niceMascha99 is just really nice
Default Everytime

Everytime Dirk releases, an angel smiles.
Mascha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #2367
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

random article I read to get a laugh
Quote:
Ex-Mavs on Nowitzki title quest: Not this time
June, 1, 2011
Jun 1
2:43
PM CT

By Art Garcia

MIAMI -- Erick Dampier lined up next to Dirk Nowitzki for six years in Dallas. They were locker room neighbors and remain friends.

Dampier would like for Nowitzki to win a championship before his Hall of Fame career is done.

Just not this month.

"He's going to do everything in this world to try to win," said Dampier, now with the Heat. "He's an excellent player. Hopefully at some point he'll get to finish off his career with a title."

Dampier isn't the only former teammate of Nowitzki's now with the Heat. Juwan Howard and Jamal Magloire also had stints with the Mavs.

Howard, 38, is also chasing an elusive first title after 17 years in the league. Asked if he would like to see Nowitzki complete that career quest, Howard wasn't going to show it.

"Not this time," he said with a grin. "Not while I'm playing. No disrespect."

Dampier hasn't talked to Nowitzki or any of his former Dallas teammates or coaches going into the Finals, and doesn't expect to until after the series is over.

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle recently said that Nowitzki is one of the top 10 players in NBA history. While that could be debated, he's easily the league's greatest European ever.

Dampier doesn't believe the 2006 MVP needs to a ring to cement his place in the game.

"He's one of the best players ever at that position," Dampier said. "There are a lot of people out there that haven't won a title. If he doesn't win one, the legacy he'll leave behind is definitely a great one."

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #2368
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascha99 View Post
Everytime Dirk releases, an angel smiles.
So does Jessica.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #2369
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
So does Jessica.
LOL!!

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #2370
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice analytical approach to hall of fame selection. Dirk is definitely a lock.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20382
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #2371
41creepingdeath

41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all

Dirk and Kaman will participate in the Euros!

http://www.sport1.de/de/basketball/b...ge_433162.html
Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #2372
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #2373
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

i will see this guy in person in this lifetime after all. woohoo
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #2374
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim499 View Post
Me too - yay!

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #2375
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim499 View Post
I've seen him play 5 times, and it's a blessing every time.

Enjoy it! Even better watching Dirk play for Deutschland!

Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #2376
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

When do the Euros start?
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #2377
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41creepingdeath View Post
Dirk and Kaman will participate in the Euros!

http://www.sport1.de/de/basketball/b...ge_433162.html
Old 07-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #2378
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
When do the Euros start?
August 31.

Firstr 5 opponents: Italy, Israel, France, Latvia and Serbia.

Last edited by Kante; 07-23-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #2379
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

During Dirk's rookie season, I was given free tickets and asked a couple of friends to go. One of them had been charged with the task of entertaining a German exchange student that night, so he didn't think he could go. I was like, "just bring him along. We just got that new German dude. It's the perfect excuse." Well, the German guy didn't have any fun. He had no idea who Dirk was, and he couldn't understand how excited we were when a seven footer caught a pass and without hesitation released and nailed a three pointer. "He's not even any good." That was it for me. I told my friend that next time he has to go out with this dude. I'm out. I wonder if he is more appreciative of the experience now.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #2380
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
Making Collison Your Bitch 101
What do you have against Nick? He can be feisty and maybe a bit dirty at times, but he seems like a nice person...

Last edited by tcat075; 07-23-2011 at 06:01 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #2381
Rick41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
What do you have against Nick? He can be feisty and maybe a bit dirty at times, but he seems like a nice person...
To be fair, Dirk made everyone his bitch in the playoffs.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #2382
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
F'em
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #2383
twelli
Diamond Member

Quote:
I have nothing against him, just wanted to point out that in the clip Dirk put on a clinic at his expense.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #2384
Chrisgopher

Chrisgopher will become famous soon enough

http://shrt.fm/pFxEHr

Whoa whoa, when did dirk get a smokin hottie?
Chrisgopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #2385
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Welcome to 2010...
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #2386
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgopher View Post
http://shrt.fm/pFxEHr

Whoa whoa, when did dirk get a smokin hottie?
meh
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #2387
dude1394
Guru

A beautiful article about dirk, Dallas and the bond we all share with the dirkster. Joe bob says check it out.

http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1091176.html
Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #2388
mavs05

mavs05 is just really nicemavs05 is just really nicemavs05 is just really nicemavs05 is just really nicemavs05 is just really nicemavs05 is just really nice

Dirk will be honored with the Silver Bay Laurel Leaf, which is the highest sports award in Germany, this month (28th). Right now he's in Berlin filming some commercials for his german sponsor DiBa and preparing for the EuroBasket tournament.
mavs05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #2389
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

In Berlin! While I am away for the only week in the year! Akh!

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #2390
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Dirk is going to call in on Stein's soccer show tomorrow morning ( 7 a.m. - 8 a.m. CST on 103.3 espn). I guess the podcast will be available here shortly after.

Quote:
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
BIG edition of Soccer Today coming Saturday AM to launch massive footy weekend: @BrekShea AND Dirk (@swish41) talkin USMNT, Klinsmann, Barca

Last edited by mavErika; 08-05-2011 at 04:36 PM.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #2391
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

1998 Nike Hoop Summit - Dirk Nowitzki 33pts 14rebs "MVP": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMSe1Injiw

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #2392
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
1998 Nike Hoop Summit - Dirk Nowitzki 33pts 14rebs "MVP": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCMSe1Injiw
awesome, skywalker. Thanks.. rep.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #2393
DMOC

DMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of lightDMOC is a glorious beacon of light

Who knew that one game would help lead to such a great career?
DMOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #2394
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Young Scola, and Dirks short shorts

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #2395
dude1394
Guru

Thanks much... I really enjoyed that...also isn't it funny that dirk is still answering the same questions, only with better english.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #2396
jleefilled
Platinum Member

I'm actually surprised by what I saw in that video. I didn't expect to see a scowling Dirk after a vicious dunk attempt so early in his basketball career. Somehow, I had figured that the "toughness" part of his game evolved a bit later. Now I'm realizing that this guy was born tough.

Moreover, watching that footage makes it pretty clear that it didn't take a rocket scientist to know that Dirk was going to be a very special player. If the Mavericks didn't draft him (and they didn't), the Celtics would have and he would have been Celtic great, no doubt. I still marvel that a person his height can do the things that he does, and it is amazing that he could do those things at such an early age.

Last edited by jleefilled; 08-05-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: the Mavs didn't draft Dirk!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #2397
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I would give up A LOT for him to have the same lift he did back then, just for one more season. Just to see him smash on people a few more times.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #2398
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
I'm actually surprised by what I saw in that video. I didn't expect to see a scowling Dirk after a vicious dunk attempt so early in his basketball career. Somehow, I had figured that the "toughness" part of his game evolved a bit later. Now I'm realizing that this guy was born tough.

Moreover, watching that footage makes it pretty clear that it didn't take a rocket scientist to know that Dirk was going to be a very special player. If the Mavericks didn't draft him (and they didn't), the Celtics would have and he would have been Celtic great, no doubt. I still marvel that a person his height can do the things that he does, and it is amazing that he could do those things at such an early age.
But you see Harrington and rashard lewis right there with him. It was the work that has made him a one name superstar.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #2399
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
But you see Harrington and rashard lewis right there with him. It was the work that has made him a one name superstar.
I agree that work has been integral in making Dirk into what he is today, but I'm not really sure how you see Harrington and Lewis right there with him from that footage. What I saw was Lewis and the entire U.S. team for that matter unable to stay with Dirk whenever he got a head of steam toward the basket. Perhaps, you could say Harrington looked somewhat Dirk's equal in that he was defensively dominant with all the steals and break away dunks, but I think Lewis finished that game with what, 18 points and 3 boards.

Again, I didn't get to watch that entire game so I'm not sure how many minutes one player got compared to the next, but from that footage, it really looks to me like Dirk was a can't miss prospect.

Actually, after a second viewing of that video, Harrington did look impressive on a number of plays, and it was Lewis who had all the break away dunks in the first half. So yeah, Harrington, at least, did look like he was just as much of a prospect as Dirk was in that game, but it was the work that Dirk put into his game that set him apart in the long run.

Last edited by jleefilled; 08-06-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #2400
twelli
Diamond Member

19-23 free throws? Man, did he suck when he was young...

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, playoff clutch, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, top-10 all time scorer, top-6 all time scorer