Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dalm's thoughts on what they should do this offseason and why....

Plan as a "whole" and don't do it if you can't do it all.

Trade Dampier/Marshall to Memphis for Battier/SNT Bobby Jackson

Why Memphis would do this... Memphis is stagnated if they don't make some changes. They have liked Damp for years, and frankly he would be better with Memphis than what Battier is with them. They would have the player to work with Pau, that could allow him to get to anther level, and take the defensive nightmares away from him. Bobby J could easily be gone either way, so this is basically a Damp for Battier swap, but they also get a young swingman in Marshall.

Why Dallas would do this... Dallas needs a defensive minded (but with some offensive game) player to back up Dirk. Someone who would actually do some of the "dirty" work, but could still knock down an occasional three. Damp is an assett, but one who's skills are basically duplicated by Diop and PPod. Diop is the better shot blocker, but Damp is stronger, PPod should be heavier and stronger than both. If they see any game in PPod at all, then him and Diop should be able to compensate for the loss of Damp. DJ is the player who will grow and benefit the most. This would allow for DJ to get lots more playing time, and allow for his game to improve greatly. DJ is one of the few players in the league I see with the potential to be a descent defender against Amare, TD, and KG. Is he raw, yes. Would I take the chance -- from what I have seen - probably. Do Mark, and Avery know better than I -- I would have to say yes here as well since they see him every day, and in practice. BJackson becomes the backup 1/2 swingman and shooter. It is a role he would excel in.

SNT Terry, Daniels, #1 pick to Seattle for R. Lewis and Watson.

Why Seattle would do this.... Seattle needs a change, and are having all kinds of trouble with their arena, etc. They don't want to lose money by going over the lux tax line, but they really don't have much to be trading either. They just need a change. JT is from Seattle, and would be coming home. JT running the point with Ray Allen would be good, and if you gave them Daniels to take the place of R. Lewis in their lineup and kicked in the #1 this year, I think you could convince them to make this trade. Watson hasn't been starting anyway for them, due to his offensive inefficiency.

Why Dallas would do this..... Robin...... R. Lewis is a player with very good length, can shoot the three, drive, and play some D. He would be coming back to his home state. He is still young, and is used to playing Robin to Ray Allen already. This would move Howard to the SG position which is a role that he could fill in nicely as a defensive player, with offense. Watson would be the defensive point guard that the Mavs need anyway. They don't need offense out of their point at times during the game.

Resign DJ, Griff, extend Howard, move DA to the coaching staff.

PG: Devin Harris*, Earl Watson
1/2: Bobby Jackson
SG: Griff
2/3: Howard*, Stackhouse
SF: R. Lewis*
3/4: Battier, Powell
PF/C: Dirk Nowitzki*
C: Diop*, DJ, PPod
* starters

This team could run, bang, shoot, defend, Be Big - even when going small.
Harris, Jackson, Howard, Lewis, Dirk -- could run with Phoenix and play right with them.
Harris, Howard, Lewis, Battier, Dirk -- could cause major defensive nightmare for people.

I could see this team playing any style, any time, any way, and still being able to play on the defensive end of the court. Admittedly PPod, Griff, Powell and Watson would be situational guys who had one skill so valuably needed at times, but they could play with any team.

Now you would have more shooters, and slashers which would cause other problems for teams.

Thoughts?

I like the Paul Pierce idea, but don't see it happening.
I like Terry, but he is the one trading piece that could go, because Devin Harris really needs to be the starting PG next year.
I like Damp, but if PPod, and DJ are to get playing time, his skills have already been seen in other players.
I like Daniels, but I don't see him starting for Avery, and Dallas has to many needs to not utilize him if they can. His shot will not allow him to be a true SG, and that is a problem when Howard has many of the same if not better slashing skills.
KG will never be traded inside the division.
Kirilenko I can't see happening.
Not enough D in Peja.

Who else is there that could be Robin, and still play D.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I like where your head's at, but please also include a "Why Terry does it" on the s-n-t. Don't you figure he wants to stay here instead? I know he's from Seattle and all, but now that he has tasted winning I'm sure he wants to stay.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I like where your head's at, but please also include a "Why Terry does it" on the s-n-t. Don't you figure he wants to stay here instead? I know he's from Seattle and all, but now that he has tasted winning I'm sure he wants to stay.
Terry does it to get paid. At least if I were Dallas, I wouldn't offer him 8M+ a year for 5 years, and I think he could get that from Seattle. Rashard Lewis (Sea) .......... $8,571,429

Allen, Lewis, and Watson or
Allen, Terry, and Daniels + #28 pick in the draft.

I could see Seattle doing it, and Terry wanting to get paid. My personal opinion is that Terry is really only worth 6-7M a year for 4 years max.

Who else would pay Terry, except say Atlanta, where he doesn't want to go back to?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Cybertx

Cybertx is on a distinguished road

if you bring battier or lewis where would that put howard at sg i doubt that he could be effective at sg and we still don't have a low post player that takes the triple team away from dirk, saying that i like more the seattle trade than the memphis but i don't think seattle would ship lewis.
If seattle would trade lewis it would be for talent plus less money and if jet gets 6 or 7M, seattle would be getting less talent and 1M less in the trade.
Why would they do it.

Last edited by Cybertx; 06-22-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Cybertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Terry and Daniels and 28th pick are less talent than Lewis and Watson?

I guess I judge talent a little differently from you, because to me Terry and Daniels would have a slight edge on Lewis and Watson, and then Dallas kicked in the 28th pick.

Why don't you think Howard could be effective at SG? He basically guards SG all the time now, if that is their best player, and on O - the SG and SF are interchangable in the Mavs offense.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

We don't want Bobby Jackson.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
We don't want Bobby Jackson.
Why?

He is a lights out streaky shooter, much in the Steve Kerr mold.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

He would be a locker room cancer. He said that he respects dirk less than ANYONE in the league... I'm not sure how the two would work well together after that comment.

Plus he is old and gets injured a lot.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
He would be a locker room cancer. He said that he respects dirk less than ANYONE in the league... I'm not sure how the two would work well together after that comment.

Plus he is old and gets injured a lot.
All it would take is a few practices of Dirk knocking him on his backside, and all would be forgiven. Yes he is old and injury prone, but you are only looking for a specific role for him to play, and I think he would play that role very well.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
Cybertx

Cybertx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Terry and Daniels and 28th pick are less talent than Lewis and Watson?

I guess I judge talent a little differently from you, because to me Terry and Daniels would have a slight edge on Lewis and Watson, and then Dallas kicked in the 28th pick.

Why don't you think Howard could be effective at SG? He basically guards SG all the time now, if that is their best player, and on O - the SG and SF are interchangable in the Mavs offense.
Lewis it's better than any of the 2 of them and for the league terry it's the only that it's worth something daniels no matter how you see it it's a one dimensional player that hasn't done anything and if you look at his numbers he has regressed from the damiels of two years ago when it comes to talent daniels and watson are at the same level except that watson it's a pg that can shoot better than daniels and when it comes to lewis and terry lewis it's better he can shoot as well as jet does and he's a better defender lewis is a top 10 in SF when jet it's not even a pg at least not what a point guard means.
Jet it's a very good shooter a good dribbler a decent defender a mediocre passer and a really bad at field vision and a bad turnover.
Cybertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
All it would take is a few practices of Dirk knocking him on his backside, and all would be forgiven. Yes he is old and injury prone, but you are only looking for a specific role for him to play, and I think he would play that role very well.

He didn't look too good in the role for memphis, and I don't see him getting better.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Bobby jackson is like steve kerr??? I understand your ideas though i thoroughly disagree with them. The mavs get horribly worse defensively. The second(defensive nightmare matchup) is horrendous defensively. As long as you have lewis(he would play pf not battier) and dirk as your bigs you are screwed. I think dirk is better defensively than most but he isnt the last line of defense type guy. Not to mention that lewis is terrible defensively. If you want to see what kind of defense that type of lineup plays look at what happened to the kings early in the year. One of your bigs needs to be a banger. Battier is a sf. He cant play the 4. Good idea i just disagree.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 06-23-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Bobby jackson is like steve kerr??? I understand your ideas though i thoroughly disagree with them. The mavs get horribly worse defensively. The second(defensive nightmare matchup) is horrendous defensively. As long as you have lewis(he would play pf not battier) and dirk as your bigs you are screwed. I think dirk is better defensively than most but he isnt the last line of defense type guy. Not to mention that lewis is terrible defensively. If you want to see what kind of defense that type of lineup plays look at what happened to the kings early in the year. One of your bigs needs to be a banger. Battier is a sf. He cant play the 4. Good idea i just disagree.
Huh? -- Bobby Jackson is a one dimensional offensive shooter. Just like Steve Kerr was. He doesn't play much defense at all, but has the knack of being able to score. He is the shooter off the bench that you utilize to force teams out of the zone. When healthy, he was very good at this with Sac.

Lewis would be the starting SF and seldom would you ever play him at PF. I am not sure why you think that Battier would be the SF and Lewis move to PF (only when Dirk is on the bench). Lewis is long and athletic, and is a good off the ball shot-blocker from what I have seen. He plays a little better than average defense, but not much better. Battier plays better than average defense, but is limited on the offensive end. They are within 1" of listed height with each other, but Battier has the better inside game, and I think the better strength inside. Both players can fill a very needed role.

I thought the Mavs needed a banger inside as well, except that when did they have one in the Phoenix series? Yes, Damp banged with TD in the SA series, but mainly stayed in foul trouble. Could PPod and DJ not bang just as well? You get no offense from them for the most part either way.

No Dirk can't be the last line of defense against most teams, but against say Phoenix, or Lakers, or Detroit, or well most teams that are not SA, Miami, Houston, Clippers, Minn, or NY, then he could easily in small amounts of time force teams out of what they want to do because they would just outscore them with a Phoenix type offensive burst.

These trades I am talking about would allow Dallas to be a force in all aspects of the game, either from running, or from a half-court set.

Maybe Seattle and Memphis wouldn't do them, but the skillsets you would be aquiring would allow you to be extremely versitile -- even more so than this year -- with better defense and offense. At least if DJ and PPod can fill the role of 8/8 that Damp did all year.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I'll admit it is my opinion, and I thank you for disagreeing. Back to my thought though.
Devin Harris needs to be starting next year. For him to develop, he needs the time, and the pressure to become a diamond instead of a piece of coal. What he needs for a backup is a shutdown defender who can shoot the spot-up 3. I think Watson could fill that role.

At SG, they need a nasty long defender who can play good D, can't be doubled off of, and can slash/shoot average. Josh Howard is perfect in that role, IMO. Griff and Stack as offensive and Defensive style backups work wonderfully.

At SF, you basically need a Robin for Dirk, IMO. It could be at SG instead of SF, but I just didn't see any available Robin's out there that I thought might be attainable. I chose Lewis because of the Terry/Lewis home-state issues, the Seattle problems, and because he fits the role of a Robin who is long, can play some D, and might cause some match-up problems for Phoenix, and SA. Battier would definately play some SF as well, as he should, but Battier is more of a "hustle" player with a descent shot, who will take you off the dribble if you give it. He is fairly strong, and seems to have a little inside game. I think he is a better version of Eddie Najera. This is what would allow him at time to either spell Dirk, or play with Dirk in certain situations.

At PF, Dirk will get 35+ minutes a night, so Battier, Lewis, Powell, etc all could get a few, but who cares because come playoffs - Dirk is on the floor either way.

At C, Diop has already moved into the starting lineup for Damp. Damp is a banger. My only issue with it is that Shaq, Curry, Wilcox, and Yao are the only other offensive minded bangers in the league. The rest of the time, Damp becomes a liability. DJ on the other hand, if he gets the playing time, could develop into a player that could stay with Amare, Chandler, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Wallaces, etc. He needs to develop, but the potential is there, IMO. As far as being able to be Big and Bang, PPod is 7'5" and Big. Yes he has miles to go, but he doesn't get there if he doesn't get some burn. He would only be good situationally and for short times, but that is all he would be asked to do anyway.

For versatility I think this lineup would be awesome, and would cause major problems for every team in the leage.

Harris, Howard, Lewis, Dirk, Diop --- who you gonna have Bowen/Marion guarding? One of the top 4 there are going to go off, unless you go zone. Go zone, and Dallas goes zone as well, but brings in Jackson for Diop. Who you going to come off of?

Might not win the championship, but would be one of the most awesome, and versitile teams in the league.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #14
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

2 words: Post Player.

dirk is somewhat evolving into one, but it sometimes doesn't look natural.

where's the bruiser low post guy like say sheldon williams, but he wont be around when mavs pick.
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #15
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

God people need to wake up and realize tht Harris will not get it done and def does not need to be starting. Pleaseee people relize this ...it will take a cup of more years for Harris to be ready if he ever gets ready and he is just not the answer at pg for us.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:01 AM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched03
2 words: Post Player.

dirk is somewhat evolving into one, but it sometimes doesn't look natural.

where's the bruiser low post guy like say sheldon williams, but he wont be around when mavs pick.
I understand this one. He will have to be an inside post for offense, and a defensive last line of defense though, as long as you have Nowitzki. This means a Post-up Center, who can be that last line of defense.

Let's see. There is Shaq, and TD. Then there is "who" that can play a post-up game on the offensive side and be the last line of defense. Someone who can demand double teams in the post, and still play D........hmmmmmmmmmmm

Might better take a different route, because I don't think either of those teams trade those two players.

Sheldon Williams might be the answer eventually, but I don't think even he would be the answer for the next year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
God people need to wake up and realize tht Harris will not get it done and def does not need to be starting. Pleaseee people relize this ...it will take a cup of more years for Harris to be ready if he ever gets ready and he is just not the answer at pg for us.
Why? Devin Harris is one of the quickest guards in the league. He plays very good defense, but gets no and I do mean no respect for it from the officials. Yes, he needs to improve both his passing and his outside shooting, and could even improving on his finishing, but he has the skillset to be a top 5 guard in the league. How will you know, if you don't start seeing how he finishes games, or did they make a mistake with that pick?

I don't think they made a mistake, they just need to get some burn out of some people.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #17
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

I hate this plan. Its well thought out and has lots of ideas, but to me it really makes the team much worse.

It downgrades the Mavs at center when they could actually use a bit of an upgrade. If you cant get better at center, you sure dont want to get worse. Thats a very vital position for Dallas, with Dirk at PF.

And what do you get for your downgrade? A backup player. Not a starter. Just someone to fill in a few minutes behind Dirk, to replace KVH. Wow we have a great player who sits on the bench. Yuck. Will he play at the 3? Nope, you already got Lewis and Jho both.

In reality, this ends up being a team with a whole pile of SF types. Jho. Lewis. Battier. You are trying to use them at SG and at PF, but in essence you are playing them out of position just to get them on the floor. That lessens their natural skill advantages.

There is a huge hole at SG, with Terry the best solution the Mavs had this year. In this plan, it gets even worse. Bobby Jax is done. JHo is not a 2. Neither is Lewis. Daniels and Marshall are gone, which removes them as options.

You wind up with depth all over the place, at postions you already have covered. But you can only play 5 players at a time, and you weakened 2 positons just to get deeper.

The result is a very unbalanced roster. Skinny raw centers. Superstar PF. A slew of PFs that all should play, but who knows where. Weaker than ever at SG. PG nothing special.

Sorry but this just kills the team imo.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #18
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I think they made a mistake....simple as tht .... or if not thn he is taking way too long to develop.....if ur gona start him thn dont even bother resigning Jet and watch the team go down the drain.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:16 PM   #19
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

The mavericks just made the finals and you want to turn over the entire roster?

Battier is so overrated it isn't funny.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:46 AM   #20
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i agree with rakesh.s.

everyone needs to chill.

pick up Dale Davis at C and be done. If you can get a guy who can come out and shoot threes, that'd be great. other than that, don't mess with anything.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter Einstein
I hate this plan. Its well thought out and has lots of ideas, but to me it really makes the team much worse.
Thank you Poin. I love when someone actually takes the time to disagree with reasoning, instead of just "that sucks - my opinion is better than yours". Now, I'll take it part by part and address my thinking everywhere.

Quote:
It downgrades the Mavs at center when they could actually use a bit of an upgrade. If you cant get better at center, you sure dont want to get worse. Thats a very vital position for Dallas, with Dirk at PF.
I am not sure it is a downgrade at Center. It very well could be, but whether it is or not totally depends upon how much DJ and PPod develop. I must agree that they need to get better at Center, but do you think Damp will improve the team more than say 8/8 next year? I am not trying to downplay 8/8 because that is good for an average defensive minded center in the NBA. I just think that DJ is much more athletic, as strong, quicker, better leaping ability, and has better form on his shots. I think he is much more of an offensive threat, and although not as good defensively, could be better due to his size and strength.

Quote:
And what do you get for your downgrade? A backup player. Not a starter. Just someone to fill in a few minutes behind Dirk, to replace KVH. Wow we have a great player who sits on the bench. Yuck. Will he play at the 3? Nope, you already got Lewis and Jho both.
Yes, but Battier is a backup SF and PF. He would make the 9 man rotation, and would allow for Dirk to play C against lots of teams, including SA, when he would have Duncan, and the Mavs would go small -- just as they did in this years playoffs. The NBA is getting more and more away from the Big Brusing Centers because of the hand-check rules on the perimeter. If the backcourt can't stop ANY player from driving by putting a hand on them, because if they get in front of them, it is a blocking foul, then you have to have a quick off-side blocker in the game to deny the rim. If not, then every team with a SG or SF or PG that can drive, can always get to the rim. This was always Bradley's problem -- he got there to late.

Quote:
In reality, this ends up being a team with a whole pile of SF types. Jho. Lewis. Battier. You are trying to use them at SG and at PF, but in essence you are playing them out of position just to get them on the floor. That lessens their natural skill advantages.
Why is JHo a SF instead of a SG? With the offense that Dallas has been running, the swingmen have basically utilized the same roles. JHo is often times defending the other teams best offensive threat. What is the difference in JHo/Stack and say JHo/Lewis? I think JHo/Lewis would be better on both the offensive and defensive ends while playing the swingmen positions.

Quote:
There is a huge hole at SG, with Terry the best solution the Mavs had this year. In this plan, it gets even worse. Bobby Jax is done. JHo is not a 2. Neither is Lewis. Daniels and Marshall are gone, which removes them as options.
Why is JHo not a SG? He usually guards TMac, Carter, lots of time on DWade, Lebron, Ginobili, and Kobe. He plays one of the swing positions on offense. How is he not a SG? His height is consistent at 6'6" for many SG. He is a slasher with some inside moves. I just don't understand how you say he is not a SG. As far as Bobby Jax, I still think he would be a great 12th man that comes in off the bench as a shooter, and zone buster. Dallas needed a player with his skillset badly at times this year.

Quote:
You wind up with depth all over the place, at postions you already have covered. But you can only play 5 players at a time, and you weakened 2 positons just to get deeper.
Weakened? That only depends on whether DJ and PPod develop into what Damp does or not. PG could be weakened, I guess, but I think Devin and Watson would be better defensively, and could possibly better offensively if Devin develops into the player that many think he can be. You strengthened the SG position by default. You further strengthened the SF position. You got stronger and more athletic across the board. You added some tough defenders in Battier and Watson that you could really use. I have to believe that Lewis/Howard in general would be one of the best swingmen defense in the league with their abilities.

Quote:
The result is a very unbalanced roster. Skinny raw centers. Superstar PF. A slew of PFs that all should play, but who knows where. Weaker than ever at SG. PG nothing special.

Sorry but this just kills the team imo.
A slew of PF that all should play??? NO. A slew of forwards that should get some time, yes. At forward you would have Dirk, Lewis, Battier, and Powell. Griff, Stack, Howard can be classified as SG. Yes, Griff, Stack, Howard could play SF, but all are really just swingmen that can fill either role.

I respect your thought that it kills the team, thanks. I hope I have shown where it wouldn't weaken the team, it would have the probability of strengthening it significantly.

I do totally agree that an upgrade at Center, and a major upgrade at shooting guard would work just as easily to improve the team dramatically. I just don't see that upgrade available. Everyone wants to upgrade at Center save about 3-4 teams. Some are even starting to change how they do things, like San Antonio. They will move Duncan back to Center and find a player that is an athletic 4, who can be the last line of defence. They will be back to awesome again then, and looking for another title.

The game is changing, and hopefully Dallas will get ahead of the curve, instead of getting behind.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Again i appreciate the time you took in putting this together(i know it sucks to come up with a plan and then have people just say hey youre an idiot with no logical reasoning whatsover) The problem is there is no way in hades that dj and ppod give you 8 and 8 next year and counting on that is a mistake imho. DJ just cant play enough minutes because he fouls all the time, not to mention that he has no clue what he is doing. Physically i think he is the most talented player on the mavs roster when you just look at size and athletecism but he cant use it because of his incredibly low bball iq. As for ppod, im a ppod fan but he isnt ready yet. I think damp is the most underrated player on this team hands down. There arent 10 centers in the nba whom i would rather have than him.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #23
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Again i appreciate the time you took in putting this together(i know it sucks to come up with a plan and then have people just say hey youre an idiot with no logical reasoning whatsover) The problem is there is no way in hades that dj and ppod give you 8 and 8 next year and counting on that is a mistake imho. DJ just cant play enough minutes because he fouls all the time, not to mention that he has no clue what he is doing. Physically i think he is the most talented player on the mavs roster when you just look at size and athletecism but he cant use it because of his incredibly low bball iq. As for ppod, im a ppod fan but he isnt ready yet. I think damp is the most underrated player on this team hands down. There arent 10 centers in the nba whom i would rather have than him.
I appreciate your thoughts as well.

Put me down for the person who thought Diop couldn't contribute this year in any way. Before Dallas got him, I thought " NO WAY". He wasn't even offered a low end contract by the Cavs. They let him go for nothing. They allowed a very young 7' with an upside to go for nothing. That 7' came in and took over the starting position from the guy you are defending. Now, it may have been mainly to keep Damp on the floor because he always picked up two cheap fouls early when the refs were "defining" how they were going to call the game, but never the less Diop proved he had an upside, and was useful.

Just for the record, " I WAS WRONG ABOUT DIOP".

Now if Damp were worthless, do you think anyone would give anything for him? I don't think that Damp is great, but by no means do I think he is aweful either. He is what he is, and I expect about 8/8 from him. He is a very useful trading chip though, if you can replace the skills that he brings, and still bring in more talent or a skillset you don't have.

My point is that you do not let young 7' with lots of potential go -- under any circumstance. Look at J. ONeill. He was nothing in Portland. He got burn in Indy, and became something.

I know that it is only my opinion, but I think within the next 3-4 years DJ (if he can learn to stay on the floor) ends up being a 12/12 guy or so. At least as good as Damp was ever, and possibly better. In fact his up side is much better. Who knows if he will ever reach it though, if he doesn't get the burn to learn?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #24
Five-ofan
Guru

Oh i have high hopes for dj as well dont get me wrong, i just dont think they will be realized this year. The other thing to note about dj is that he isnt particularly young. He is 25 i believe which is still young but not the age jo was. About diop damp is better than him, i dont think that is in question. As for his turnaround it was largely due to losing weight, i dont think dj has any major change like that coming. In closing, i had no intention of letting him go because he could always blossom if he ever figures it out but i dont think i would want a team with title aspirations going into the season relying heavily on him either.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I like the part about the Terry SnT for Lewis. Unfortunately we'll have to outbid the Matrix offer.

But if we could do that Terry/Lewis deal and combine it with the rumored deal of James for Daniels then you have a great offseason.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote