Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #31
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

2 of 9, anyway...

Quote:
Schein's Nine: Cowboys could be last year's Giants

1. Dallas = New York

The Dallas Cowboys could be the Giants from a year ago.

That's right.

The Cowboys, assuming they are done fighting amongst each other, can still go to the Super Bowl because of their defense and star power on offense.

That is, of course, if they make the playoffs.

Dallas' defense is finally clicking. DeMarcus Ware had three of the eight sacks against Eli Manning on Sunday night. Fellow linebackers Greg Ellis, Bradie James and Zach Thomas have been playing great ball. Terrence Newman is back and playing at a Pro Bowl level. Jay Ratliff is the most underrated defensive tackle in the game.

And then there's Wade Phillips, the beaten-down head coach. Cue the Mike Holmgren rumors. Or the Bill Cowher rumors. Jason Garrett, anyone?

But did you think Phillips was distracted by the nonsense this week?

Ellis tells us about a genius coaching move Phillips made for the Giants game.

"DeMarcus and I switched sides for most of the game. We didn't do that any this year. In the playoffs last year, I still remember when the Giants drove down at the end of the first half. I could've kicked myself in the butt. DeMarcus is much better on the left side based upon what kind of rusher he is, plus factoring in the Giants lineman he's facing. I'm better on the right side. When we got the opportunity to make the switch, we embraced it. It made such a difference in getting to the quarterback."

Stop the presses — Phillips actually coaches the team!

The next two games, against the Ravens on Saturday night and in Philly to end the season, aren't easy. But I think Dallas' defense is ready.

2. Dallas drama

I made the point on Sirius NFL Radio last Friday that the T.O.-Romo-Witten drama was overblown. Not that there wasn't a problem, perhaps. But I thought it would have no impact on the actual Cowboys versus Giants game. There was no way to argue the Cowboys defense would be impacted at all.

Ellis totally agreed with that assessment and then explained in his mind what happened last week and how Wade Phillips went out of his way to make sure the 'controversy' didn't effect the defense.

"Wade addressed that," Ellis said. "He had some concern that it was going on at a high level with T.O. supposed to do this and Witten wanting this and Romo thinking this. But I am here to tell you it was never that way. The media is doing its job. Their job is to report. And sometimes it is without all the facts. That's fine. We put it all on the back burner. Everything the media writes about isn't 100 percent accurate. I understand the job to make it hot and juicy to gain attention of the readers. But in this case they over- exaggerated what was going on. What was going on is everyone comes from a different background, the way T.O. talks versus Witten versus Romo versus a Greg Ellis. How we address each other can be misinterpreted."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote