Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-09-2003, 01:04 PM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I didn't think Kidd should have been MVP last year, but look at his numbers, and the Nets are playing some great ball.

20.5 Points (Career High)
8.8 Assists (Second in League)
5.9 Rebounds
2.29 Steals (2nd highest in Career, 3rd in league)
46% From Field (Career high)
38% Form 3

Nets 26-9, Winners of 10 Straight.

Who is your MVP?

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I still got to go with Dirk. Best player on leagues best team.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
MavsManiac

MavsManiac is on a distinguished road

That's a tough one...

I'd have said Shaq hands down if LA had sprung to life after his return, but that hasn't been the case, yet.

Dirk's the best player on the Mavs team, but is he the most valuable? Where'd we be w/o Nash? Where'd we be w/o Fin?

Kidd *is* the Nets. Without him, they're nothing. As much as it pains me to say this, he DOES elevate his team's play & he is playing better'n I think he's ever played.

That all said, I'd still vote Dirk, since I'm a homer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

dirk is the most valuable player on the mavs team..closely followed by nash..then fin and bradley.
the mavs can kiss their playoff season goodbye without dirk.. however, nve or aj could play solid enough pg for the mavs to maybe survive in the playoffs..and at the two guard, well, fin is an integral part of this team but 2 guard is the easiest position to replace on the court.. you could always get enough minutes out of griff, nve, and rig to cover for fin if he was out during the playoffs.
obviously, there would be a drop off..but the mavs would be much better off than with missing dirk or nash.

what about bradley?..well, the mavs are probably gonna come to a point to where it is almost a certainty that they must have solid play out of bradley in the playoffs if they hope to advance..versus the kings or spurs most notably

Who's the MVP? at this point, i'd have to go with kg, dirk or kidd.. kidd will likely slump..his shooting will start to fall enough to where "I" would throw him out of the running. He's just not a good shooter and it will eventually show up at some point.

Dirk, well, he's not quite shooting well enough but he's getting there. he's gonna need to up his scoring average to around 24 per game though and keep his rebounds around 11.

Garnett, solid all around year but he's not a winner so you can skim over his numbers a bit. you need him in the 4th in an important game, well, he won't be there.

obviously, people like duncan and shaq can instantly get back in the race. duncan has struggled a bit so far this year, but his season is picking up.

in the end, it should be a 4 man race between dirk, kg, kidd, and duncan.

kidd, he'll begin to struggle shooting the ball but the East Coast media bias will keep him in the race
KG doesn't have a heart and will choke on his chicken in the 4th quarter of many crucial games.
Dirk will lose some votes because a few people will still struggle with realizing who the best player on the team is..and who the most valuable player is
Duncan, he is the spurs and we'll see how well they hold up over the long haul
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:17 PM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Kidd may very likely see his shooting % fall. Without question here is careering as a scorer. If it diesn't though I give it to him hands down this year. As for last year, Duncan got screwed.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:20 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeah, grbh..with the east coast media bias..and if kidd keeps his fg% above 45%, you probably have to give it to the guy
Old 01-09-2003, 06:26 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Nájera. Period.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:35 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< oh yeah, grbh..with the east coast media bias..and if kidd keeps his fg% above 45%, you probably have to give it to the guy >>

Yeah especially since he has that whole wife beater thing going. I can see the headlines now: &quot;Wife Beater Beats Odds Wins MVP&quot;

&quot;So Jason know that's you've won the MVP where are you going now?&quot;

&quot;To domestic abuse counseling.&quot;

To many good stories to do out of this one for the media to do. Maybe if Dirk would slap his girlfriend around some he might have a decent chance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 06:55 PM   #9
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Dirk or Webber is the best player on the best team in the NBA...

...however neither of them should even be starting for the west in the all-stars game
(Both get edged by Duncan and Garnett)

I think its between Kidd and Garnett, however Shaq and Duncan could still pick things up and make some noise
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:02 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

Garnett? How can you give an MVP to a player from a team which is barely over .500. The MVP is not just about stats, but stats do matter especially Team Wins and Team Loses. Garnett is not doing well at all in those stats.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:06 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

garnett is having a solid year and will eventually fall out of the race LR8..
one big reason, he's simply not a winner..
we hear the b.s. that he's forced to do it all on his own when last year his teammates actually accounted for a higher percentage of the team's points than most of the teams that qualified for the playoffs
Old 01-09-2003, 07:19 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

I've always liked KG and think he is a great player. But I've always seen him as more of a Scottie Pippen than a Michael Jordan. He is at his best being a complimentary player and not the Man. That not to dis KG. I'd love to have him on my team, but he is at his best with someone else taking the forefront.

I really think that this year's MVP is Dirk's for the taking. If he keeps playing like he has since coming back from the ankle injury and the Mavs keep winning, I don't see anyone taking that trophy home but Dirk. That being said, Dirk needs to keep steppin it up. I'm not dissing any of the players, just complementing Dirk.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:41 PM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

I can´t imagine another MVP than Dirk, winning Mavs the championship. Nash and Finley are always underrated (nowadays) compared with Dirk and with good reasons, I think. In a long final series, the Nowitzki factor is going to be the heaviest.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:23 PM   #14
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

What about Stockton?

Seriously, the guy is 40 years old and is still scoring 11 points and dishing out 7.6 assists in just 26 minutes. I hate the Jazz, but the guy is amazing (and no he can´t really be MVP but he deserves some credit IMO).

And Malone is also still going strong. Who had the Jazz at 20-14 and sixth place at that point of the season? No one.

The real MVP is probably Kidd right now, athough I think the east shouldn´t count. Just look at the Sac-Nets game today.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 10:45 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

<< Just look at the Sac-Nets game today. >>

It was a joke. I can´t believe (or understand) the huge difference between both conferences.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #16
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Ranks #12 in the NBA in Points Per Game(22.5)

Ranks #6 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(10.5)

Ranks #18 in the NBA in Free Throws(174.0)

Ranks #4 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds(299.0)

Ranks #4 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(9.3)

Ranks #6 in the NBA in Total Rebounds(335.0)

Ranks #17 in the NBA in Points(719.0)

Ranks #15 in the NBA in Steals Per Turnover(0.98)

Ranks #5 in the NBA in Double-doubles(18.0)

Ranks #18 in the NBA in Free Throws Per 48 Minutes(6.71)

Ranks #6 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(11.5)

Ranks #11 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes(27.7)

Ranks #6 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(842.0)

Ranks #6 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking(26.31)

Ranks #5 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(32.46)

Dirk will win the MVP. Kidd won't win it b/c they discriminate against point guards. KG won't win it b/c his team can't win a playoff series. Kobe Bryant will never win it b/c he's on a team with Shaq, and he tries too hard.

Basically, it will come down to Dirk or Duncan.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 04:22 PM   #17
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

My MVP is Derrick Coleman. just trade him to the team of your choice, and voila! just like magic, watch that contender go down in flames.
NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote