Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-23-2003, 05:03 PM   #41
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Worst rules/regulations/practices in pro and/or college sports.

Another thing is make the Coin Red and Blue and make the team call it as the Color instead of head and tail. Some idiot refs can't tell from head to tail
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2003, 05:31 PM   #42
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: DNNF
Another thing is make the Coin Red and Blue and make the team call it as the Color instead of head and tail. Some idiot refs can't tell from head to tail
Red!!! No Blue!!! Arggggggghhhhh!!!! Red!!!! Blue!!!! Yellow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 08:03 PM   #43
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Worst rules/regulations/practices in pro and/or college sports.

Instant replay- good
Pass interference- bad, let them play football
NFL OT- good
NCAA Football OT-stupid
Two feet in-good(one knee = two feet-also good)
NBA star system-horrible
NBA traveling-insidious
Ties-what does this word mean again?
Uniform fines-silly, but the league is going to do it
Rules that protect the QB-overkill, he is another player on the field, I just don't want him hit after the play is dead, just like any other player
Old 10-23-2003, 09:08 PM   #44
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

any time you decide the outcome of a game largely on a coin flip,...you've gotta know that something's wrong.

NFL OT..gotta be changed
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:53 AM   #45
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I agree already with some of the rules already listed. But...

Although I understand those who want Sudden Death OT done away with, I would hate to see it changed.

I think we would see an increase in injuries if the league decided to go a full fifth quarter. Secondly, if a team loses the coin toss, then its up to the defense and the special teams to go out there and make a stop. If the league ever decides to make a change in this area, I would hope that's its only to allow one possession for each side. I wouldn't like it, but I could live with it.

I also hope instant replay is not done away with. I heard on tv last night that after this year, the teams will have to vote on instant replay again. Apparently its expected to be a fairly close vote.

As for other dumb rules....In hindsight, effectively penalizing a team 20 yards for kicking out of bounds seems a bit steep.

Also, I think its ridiculous that any sport would choose to pin home field advantage on the outcome of its Allstar game.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:59 AM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Mary, I think they could come up with a reasonable OT solution for the NFL without playing a full 5th quarter.

I see no problem with doing something similar to what college football does.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:16 AM   #47
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

ESQ, you don't want them to call pass interference? That would be a defenders dream, just kill the player before the ball comes....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:26 AM   #48
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Worst rules/regulations/practices in pro and/or college sports.

Why does the kicking team get another try if they kick a ball out of bounds on an onside kick?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:32 AM   #49
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Why does the kicking team get another try if they kick a ball out of bounds on an onside kick?
Didn't they change that rule a year or two back?
Old 10-24-2003, 12:40 PM   #50
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
ESQ, you don't want them to call pass interference? That would be a defenders dream, just kill the player before the ball comes....
I want the receivers to take out their defenders or get seperation from them, push-off as it were. If both players are doing it but neither is holding, I see no problem with it.

College OT is stupid. Football consists of three phases, special teams, defense, offense. If your defense can't stop the other team when it counts, then you lose. The coin flip is not the deciding factor.

I like penalizing out of bounds on the kickoff, it's designed to encourage runbacks. They definitely did change the onside kick rule btw, only one chance now.