Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #481
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
But, C) One of the last things said in this article (quoting a GM in the league) "... it will be hard to offload salary, and if you want to, the teams with space will probably charge high prices to take money from your books." Which means there is hope the Mavs can pull off something major because there might be a team out there desperate enough to unload salary & avoid the luxury tax next year. The Mavs are one of the few teams with plenty of salary cap space, so we might find ourselves in the rare position of getting a team to overpay to take on salary.
This is a VERY interesting tidbit, plays into the MBT's strengths.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #482
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Jaren Jackson Jr. Is the Most Complete Big Man of the 2018 NBA Draft
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/2...-big-man-draft

Quote:
He’s certainly the best two-way player of the bunch right now, better defensively than Deandre Ayton and Marvin Bagley III and better offensively than Mohamed Bamba.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #483
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Jaren Jackson Jr. Is the Most Complete Big Man of the 2018 NBA Draft
Yeah, give me Jackson all day long. Right now the Mavs are in gold land regarding the draft. The best deadline news we could receive will be hearing that the Mavs are tanking harder than ever. No deadline move can match this upcoming draft's top players.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #484
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Jackson is so raw, but dear lord. His numbers are insane.

Per 40 he's averaging 20pts, 11reb, 6blk, 2ast, and shooting 59% from the field and 43% from three. I know that team is stacked with talent, but jeez!

Anyone know anything about his team/man defense? Haven't watched any Michigan State this year.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-06-2018 at 04:25 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #485
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Jackson is so raw, but dear lord. His numbers are insane.

Per 40 he's averaging 20pts, 11reb, 6blk, 2ast, and shooting 59% from the field and 43% from three. I know that team is stacked with talent, but jeez!

Anyone know anything about his team/man defense? Haven't watched any Michigan State this year.
Jackson is definitely pretty raw, but he should be as one of the youngest players entering the draft... And his defense?

Quote:
Jackson is a new kind of defensive anchor. At 6-foot-11 and 242 pounds, his frame is right in the sweet spot between size and speed. He’s big enough to be a dominant presence inside without sacrificing his ability to guard on the perimeter. Jackson is the cornerstone of the no. 9 defense in the country as a freshman. According to the tracking numbers at hooplens.com, the Spartans give up 0.87 points per possession when he’s in and 0.98 points per possession when he’s out. He’s the only starter the team defends better with when he’s on the floor than when he’s off.

Bamba gets the Rudy Gobert comparisons, but Jackson is the more effective defender. While he doesn’t have Bamba’s freakish physical dimensions, he actually blocks more shots per minute. He blocks 15.4 percent of the opposing team’s 2-point field goal attempts when he’s on the floor, which would be the highest block rate of any player drafted in the lottery since they began tracking the stat in 2010. He has everything an elite interior defender needs: He has a 7-foot-4 wingspan that covers the rim, he’s fast enough to rotate across the court quickly and cut off dribble penetration, he keeps his head on a swivel and always knows where the other nine players on the floor are, and he never gives up on plays.

At this point I'd take Jaren Jackson Jr over Bamba, but he's also starting to bump up against Bagley/Porter/Doncic for me since Bagley and Doncic aren't strong two-way players, and I have no idea what's up with Porter's health.

Like, if I'm ranking guys with a hard slant toward confidence/fit over raw talent, my top-10 are as follows:

DeAndre Ayton
Michael Porter Jr. (if 100%)
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Marvin Bagley
Luka Doncic
Michael Porter Jr. (if not 100%)
Mo Bamba
Mikal Bridges
Trae Young
Wendell Carter
Miles Bridges

Last edited by Underdog; 02-06-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #486
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I tend to agree with that list, Underdog, except there is no way I take a less than 100% Porter over Bamba.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #487
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I tend to agree with that list, Underdog, except there is no way I take a less than 100% Porter over Bamba.
I guess it depends on if he's still on his way to recovery, or if there are doubts that he'll ever be 100% again... I agree about taking Bamba over him if he'll never be 100% again, but if he just needs a bit more time to recover, then he still has the potential to be the best player in this draft. Porter is easily the biggest question mark heading into the draft, and therefore the hardest to rank.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-06-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #488
Underdog

Cavs had a 21 point lead on the Magic, lost by 18... Hawks beat Grizz.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-06-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:04 PM   #489
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cavs had a 21 point lead on the Magic, lost by 18... Hawks beat Grizz.

Can we just forfeit the rest of the season?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #490
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Gasol played 19 minutes tonight for MEM. No reported injury. Seems like MEM threw this game to ATL. (scared face emoji)... MEM beating ATL was the 1 win I gave them awhile back when I said we gotta be careful about MEM they could go 1-6 heading into the break.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #491
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately, PHX couldn't hold off LAL. Looked primed for an upset win through 3 qtrs, but couldn't hang on in the 4th. With Booker out, it'll be tough for PHX to pick up any Ws. They should tie us for worst record in the West tomorrow playing the second game of a back to back vs SA. Thankfully, we get Golden State on the road Thurs night & OKC just embarrassed them tonight. Should be a guaranteed loss for us.

On the brightside, the Lakers move to 5.5 games back of us for worst record in the league. At the rate we're going, I can't see LAL catching us. I think it's safe not worry about them anymore; especially because they don't own their 1st round draft pick this year & have no reason to tank.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #492
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Tues: MEM @ ATL
Thurs: ATL @ ORL
Mon: ORL @ CHI

Who are we rooting for in these games? I kinda feel like ATL sweeping their 2 games would be pretty sweet. Also, as bad as the Cavs have been it's not inconceivable ATL could knock them off at home on Fri (although that's the 2nd night of a back to back for the Hawks). On the other hand, ORL sweeping their 2 games would be just as sweet!
ATL & ORL both won tonight!! So now somebody has to go on a 2 game winning streak Thurs. Not to mention, ATL hosts CLE on Fri, and even though it's the 2nd night of a back-to-back, it's right after the trade deadline. Well, first off the Cavs lost to ORL tonight & were blown out actually. CLE could lose to anyone at any time with how bad their defense is. But, if CLE makes a move at the deadline, then we could see CLE short-handed for Fri. Very similar to how the Pistons were short-handed their next game after the trade for Blake Griffin.

Also, ORL faces CHI on Monday, so if they beat ATL, it's plausible to see them get to 19 wins before the break. A number I don't see the Mavs matching. With any luck at all, the Mavs won't win another game before the break. *fingers crossed*
Old 02-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #493
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the tank is down to 8 teams but dear lord, everything from 1-8 is possible.

Again, i think the Grizzlies are going to shut down Gasol pretty soon to ensure their tank.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #494
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Looks like the tank is down to 8 teams but dear lord, everything from 1-8 is possible.

Again, i think the Grizzlies are going to shut down Gasol pretty soon to ensure their tank.
Only 2 games separate 1-8... Gonna need some extreme tanking to hold onto the top spot.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #495
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Only 2 games separate 1-8... Gonna need some extreme tanking to hold onto the top spot.
This is why I was so upset about winning Saturday night vs SAC. I think you or some other poster asked why get so butthurt over 1 game. Looking at the remaining schedule for each of the 8 teams, it figures to be a VERY tight race for worst record.

I also think NBA teams realize this is a very good draft class, especially at the top, and they're going to be even more inclined to tank & tank earlier. It figures to be a very competitive race. I sure hope the Mavs are going to get off the starting line. It looks like they finally did so Mon night vs LAC letting the young guys play late. We need more of the same from here on out.

If the Mavs had lost to SAC on Saturday, we'd be a full game ahead of everyone & SAC would be 1 game further back.

Man I'm hoping Barnes' ankle injury keeps him out awhile. We need more injuries too. Would love to see Barea dealt before the deadline. Imo, Barea is Enemy #1 for our tanking efforts. He's always sparking a run when we could fall behind by too many points to catch up.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #496
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Last ten games of the season is going to be epic resting and throwing games...
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #497
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

I'm worried about MEM. Gasol only getting 19 minutes last night. I mean, Memphis obviously has to keep Gasol happy & that's what the Fizdale firing was reportedly about. I doubt Gasol wants to sit out games. If they decide to sit him or limit his minutes tho, that's a very depleted roster. Tyreke Evans is out the door & there's next to nothing on the Grizzlies roster to suggest they can make it to 25 wins. Dillon Brooks & who else???

ATL is another interesting situation. Reportedly Ilyasova won't waive his no trade clause and there's reportedly a lot of interest. If I'm the Hawks, I just sit him for the kid Collins & limit him to a back up role. I think ATL's roster is a little better than a Gasol-less MEM roster. They have more winnable games vs weaker opponents in the East too.

PHX all depends on Booker's health imo.

SAC I actually think the Kings have good young talent. Good enough to pull out a few wins at least. They have a solid group of vets too that when they get minutes keep the Kings in games. I can see the Kings pulling a few upsets like they did with that 12 point rally in the 4th qtr to knock off MIA. We just need De'Aaron Fox to get healthy & stay healthy.

BKN I'm happy they're giving Jarrett Allen time. He'll struggle as all rookies do, but he should be good to pull out a win or two. I still would like to see De'Angelo Russell get back into form. Hopefully, he gets back to his 20+ ppg early season form post ASB because he hasn't shown many flashes the past few weeks. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Nets have just enough talent to stay behind the Mavs. I think they do & them not having any incentive to tank helps a lot. But, they're still not very good.

ORL is the team I actually think is trending towards winning a few games. They have young guys who they're trying to make decisions on. Guys like Elfrid Payton, Mario Hezonja, even Aaron Gordon to a lesser extent. They should get Vucevic back at some point in the 2nd half & Jonathan Isaac too. Their schedule has enough winnable games that I could see them finishing in the 27-29 win range. I'm less worried about the Magic than I am some of the other teams. I mean, they've shown that they have some talent lately & that they're not tanking like with their come from behind win vs CLE last night.

CHI they're a wild card imo. I'm basically holding onto the hope that Zach LaVine's return keeps them behind the Mavs in the worst record race. They're on a 7 game losing streak tho. They've dropped games to SAC & LAL. They seem to always have someone injured, they're weak at PG. They're in perfect position to tank & you'd have to think the front office is thinking the same. Guys like Bobby Portis, Kris Dunn, and Jerian Grant need to prove something tho, and they'll want Markkanen to develop. We have to hope that's enough to keep the Bulls behind the Mavs.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #498
sefant77
Guru

BKN wont tank because they dont own their pick. I think they actually would like to get the pick down to #7 or #8 so they dont look like total idiots again at draft night
Old 02-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #499
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Would love to see Barea dealt before the deadline. Imo, Barea is Enemy #1 for our tanking efforts. He's always sparking a run when we could fall behind by too many points to catch up.
I understand your reasoning for wanting to trade Barea, but I and probably most of the people on this forum would disagree. Rather than trade, it would be better to either have him nurse some "injury" or severly limit the remaining playing time. After this season, tanking will be much less prevalent in the league due to the new draft rules. And JJB will is a very valuable asset both coming off the bench and mentoring the young guys on how to play and prepare for games.

For what we would get in return which is at most a 2nd pick now, it's not worth literally dumping him.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #500
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
I understand your reasoning for wanting to trade Barea, but I and probably most of the people on this forum would disagree. Rather than trade, it would be better to either have him nurse some "injury" or severly limit the remaining playing time. After this season, tanking will be much less prevalent in the league due to the new draft rules. And JJB will is a very valuable asset both coming off the bench and mentoring the young guys on how to play and prepare for games.

For what we would get in return which is at most a 2nd pick now, it's not worth literally dumping him.
A couple of things here.

A) They could of kept him out of Sat night's game with SAC because of his oblique injury. That was his first game back. No one could of stopped them from being extra cautious & keeping him out one more game. They choose not to do that & he had the highest plus/minus of any Mav that night. When he & Powell were on the floor together the Mavs outscored the Kings 46-27 or something ungodly like that. If you're not going to keep him out vs SAC, then when are you going to do it? I don't trust the Mavs to do something like that. Maybe they'll limit his minutes. Maybe... Also, maybe he does just enough in those minutes to push the Mavs over the edge and into a win.

B) I fully expect this to be an extremely tight race for the worst record in the league. Just 1 or 2 wins could very well mean the difference between picking 2nd & picking 5th. See my post a few posts back where I projected win totals for the bottom 8 teams... If the Mavs wind up with Marvin Bagley III instead of DeAndre Ayton, we could look back at that 3-5 years later & see it as a TREMENDOUS difference. Something far more valuable than a solid veteran back up PG with 15 min per night & an extra vet in the room for guidance. That stuff is pretty overrated imo. Not to mention we have Dirk here, Harrison Barnes, Wes Matthews, Devin Harris and the staff Coach Carlisle, and guys like Darrell Armstrong, Michael Finley, etc. I don't think JJ makes the big difference there that we need to keep him around just for his leadership. If he's that valuable in that role, then cut him as a player & sign him as a coach. DSJ has already said that the guy who helps him the most is Wes Matthews, anyways.

Bottom line. We don't even have to get anything back. Just keeping Barea out of the lineup is valuable enough for me. We have a legit shot at the top pick. It'd behoove us not to dick around with this & actually tank the best we can. NO HALF MEASURES. Personally, I could give a rat's ass about JJ Barea, but that's just me.

C) I don't think it's true that Barea can only return us a 2nd round pick. You're right in that straight up that's all Barea's value is on the open market. However, a team like Indiana for example could look to dump some salary & upgrade for a playoff push this year. They really only have Darren Collison at the point. Imo, Barea is better than Cory Joseph as a back up. They already have Myles Turner, Thaddeus Young and Domantas Sabonis in the backcourt. Al Jefferson and his $10 mil per year for this year & next are expendable. He's only playing 13 mpg, anyways. If the Mavs offered Barea, Kleber, and maybe threw in their 2nd round pick this year, I could see Indiana giving up their 1st round pick this year if we also took Jefferson's salary back.

That's away to help the tank, and increase both of our draft picks this year to higher spots in the pecking order.

Edit: I could see a similar deal working with Denver. They're pushing for the playoffs, they don't have a true PG on their roster, they still have their 2018 first round pick, and they have a player like Al Jefferson whose skills are becoming obsolete in today's NBA in Kenneth Faried & he's making $12.9 mil this season and $13.7 mil next season. That exact same deal works for Denver too.

Last edited by Magnum_3_Ball; 02-07-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #501
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
I guess it depends on if he's still on his way to recovery, or if there are doubts that he'll ever be 100% again... I agree about taking Bamba over him if he'll never be 100% again, but if he just needs a bit more time to recover, then he still has the potential to be the best player in this draft. Porter is easily the biggest question mark heading into the draft, and therefore the hardest to rank.
Ah, well, I was assuming in listing him twice, that Porter at or close to 100% is definitely above, even with little doubt he returns to 100%. However, like you said, if any doubt, Bamba is too good to pass on to take the risk of Porter.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:19 AM   #502
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Effectively PHX is tied with us now, and even though they were blown out in ridiculous fashion tonight by the Spurs. I watched the 2nd half. I like the young guys hustle. I see why the Suns took Josh Jackson.

I hope Booker can stay healthy in the 2nd half. If you're the Suns, you wanna tank, but you also have Booker, Jackson, Chriss, Warren, Bender, and to a lesser extent Len, Daniels, and Ulis who you want to see develop. They're a talented bunch. I'm feeling pretty good, at the moment, about their chances to fall behind the Mavs for worst record. Not to mention, if it comes down to it, we host PHX our last game of the year. Should be able to tank that game, if needed.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:09 AM   #503
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Man, MEM is going to go 0-7 on that 7 game run I predicted 1-6, if they don't take a game from the Thunder before the break. They have a home & home with them coming up. It's possible, I might even say probable, MEM doesn't win a game in the month of February.

Looking at their remaining schedule a season win total of 23 is definitely within the realm of possibility. The tank force is strong with this one.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #504
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Just for laughs, if the Mavs could acquire the DEN pick in a Faried deal, and it fell in the 15 to 21 range, who are some players you guys like in that range?

If the pick is say 15-18, I could see a surprise player slipping to us. A Kevin Knox type or Miles Bridges (altho I'm not very high on Miles Bridges personally).

There's been a lot of talk about Keita Bates-Diop here. I think he falls in the 18-21 range, at the moment. I can see Troy Brown of Oregon being drafted in the 15-21 range. Lonnie Walker from Miami, Brandon McCoy (UNLV), and Trevon Duval from Duke all interest me in that range. I haven't watched enough of Mitchell Robinson or Robert Williams to say confidently that I'd be on board with taking them there, but I think they'll go in that range & they interest me.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #505
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just for laughs, if the Mavs could acquire the DEN pick in a Faried deal, and it fell in the 15 to 21 range, who are some players you guys like in that range?

If the pick is say 15-18, I could see a surprise player slipping to us. A Kevin Knox type or Miles Bridges (altho I'm not very high on Miles Bridges personally).

There's been a lot of talk about Keita Bates-Diop here. I think he falls in the 18-21 range, at the moment. I can see Troy Brown of Oregon being drafted in the 15-21 range. Lonnie Walker from Miami, Brandon McCoy (UNLV), and Trevon Duval from Duke all interest me in that range. I haven't watched enough of Mitchell Robinson or Robert Williams to say confidently that I'd be on board with taking them there, but I think they'll go in that range & they interest me.
I like Khyri Thomas and Gafford in that range, along with some of the other guys you mentioned. Really hope we can pull off a deal with Denver. Give them JJB or Devin and McRoberts for Faried and their 1st. Even with Faried we can probably carve out decent cap space this summer.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-08-2018 at 12:44 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #506
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I like Khyri Thomas and Gafford in that range, along with some of the other guys you mentioned. Really hope we can pull off a deal with Denver. Give them JJB or Devin and McRoberts for Faried and their 1st. Even with Faried we can probably carve out decent cap space this summer.
From a post I made in the Mavs at the Trade Deadline thread about a possible Faried/1st round pick deal with DEN.

Quote:
Any argument you have for not wasting the cap space on Faried, so you can sign a big FA, is only postponed by a season. Ok, so it's really that important to spend the cap money & get a FA in here to contend. Great. Do it in 2019 & not 2018. Take the pick & profit. Easy game.
Faried would limit us to only being able to sign a mid level exception FA this offseason. But I say so what? Say we luck out & draft Ayton and our early 2nd round pick winds up being some impact player like Kyle Kuzma was for the Lakers this year. DSJ, Barnes, Ayton, Impact player, Dirk, Wes, etc... and what FA are we going to sign that's going to take that group & make it a contender next season? My answer would be no one.

So why not just absorb the salary, take the extra 1st round pick (and get a young player who's cost-controlled for 4 years), win less games next year, get a higher pick & then hit the FA market in 2019 when Faried drops from the books, the team is a year older & year closer to being ready and you've accumulated more assets?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #507
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Btw, I haven't seen any film on Khyri Thomas. What do you like about his game? Any weaknesses you're concerned about?

I've heard some speculate that Gafford will return for his sophomore year. I do like his potential tho.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #508
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
From a post I made in the Mavs at the Trade Deadline thread about a possible Faried/1st round pick deal with DEN.

Faried would limit us to only being able to sign a mid level exception FA this offseason. But I say so what? Say we luck out & draft Ayton and our early 2nd round pick winds up being some impact player like Kyle Kuzma was for the Lakers this year. DSJ, Barnes, Ayton, Impact player, Dirk, Wes, etc... and what FA are we going to sign that's going to take that group & make it a contender next season? My answer would be no one.

So why not just absorb the salary, take the extra 1st round pick (and get a young player who's cost-controlled for 4 years), win less games next year, get a higher pick & then hit the FA market in 2019 when Faried drops from the books, the team is a year older & year closer to being ready and you've accumulated more assets?
I meant that there always remains the possibility of opening up more cap space later. Move JJB. Or even better, Powell. Unlikely but not impossible. See if Wes will opt out for a longer term deal (*vomits*). Could save 5m that way.

All that said, the safe play is to not do anything that isn't an obvious slam dunk trade for us. That way if something better presents itself, we have max flexibility. As much as I value and want another pick in the teens/early 20's, those deals may still be there later(Brooklyn/TOR deal last draft)-- and potentially something much better. Worst case scenario we have 20-25 mil to throw at FA's, Gordon and Capela are great RFA targets.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #509
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Btw, I haven't seen any film on Khyri Thomas. What do you like about his game? Any weaknesses you're concerned about?

I've heard some speculate that Gafford will return for his sophomore year. I do like his potential tho.
Thomas is a stud on ball defender, only about 6'3 but long arms. Is hitting around 40% from 3 and keeps adding to his game incrementally. He doesnt have a ton of off the bounce game but can slash occasionally to the rim and seems like a pretty good finisher. A more athletic Avery Bradley type is probably a good descriptor. Or smaller, less athletic Anonouby. Potentially can guard 1 thru 3.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #510
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
I meant that there always remains the possibility of opening up more cap space later. Move JJB. Or even better, Powell. Unlikely but not impossible. See if Wes will opt out for a longer term deal (*vomits*). Could save 5m that way.

All that said, the safe play is to not do anything that isn't an obvious slam dunk trade for us. That way if something better presents itself, we have max flexibility. As much as I value and want another pick in the teens/early 20's, those deals may still be there later(Brooklyn/TOR deal last draft)-- and potentially something much better. Worst case scenario we have 20-25 mil to throw at FA's, Gordon and Capela are great RFA targets.
I like the thinking. It's definitely one way to go. I did hear one anonymous GM quoted as saying it'd be easier to trade picks at the deadline if you knew where teams were drafting (eluding to the fact that more deals get done on draft night for that reason). So, I'm on board with that idea. Say DEN slips to 8th, gets bounced by Golden State in the 1st round of the playoffs & their pick is 16th. Yeah, you feel better about trading away a player & taking on a contract for that pick, then you do if the DEN pick winds up being 23rd or something. Plus, by that time you've had more time to scout the college players & you should have a better idea of how valuable that 16th pick really is. So, I'm all on board for waiting til the draft to make that kind of move. (The only problem with that is if another team jumps out there while you're waiting & snatches up that 1st round pick along with Faried. It's the risk you take).

Personally for me, I don't want to sign any difference maker type FAs this summer. I'd rather take the approach the 76ers did & be bad for a few years and collect 3 or 4 young talented players. I'm not saying tank next year, necessarily. But, I don't think even if we did add Capela or Gordon next year that it would make us a playoff team. I'd rather let nature take it's course, take the extra year (hopefully leds to a higher pick) and target 2019 to make that kind of a move.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #511
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Thomas is a stud on ball defender, only about 6'3 but long arms. Is hitting around 40% from 3 and keeps adding to his game incrementally. He doesnt have a ton of off the bounce game but can slash occasionally to the rim and seems like a pretty good finisher. A more athletic Avery Bradley type is probably a good descriptor. Or smaller, less athletic Anonouby. Potentially can guard 1 thru 3.
Daddy likes! Lol
Old 02-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #512
mac222b
Diamond Member

Idk if you can add Capela or Gordon, depending on whether you get a big or wing in the draft, you have a nice under 25 core of Capela or Gordon, DSJ, Draft pick with Barnes turning 26 and expiring after next season. 3 studs under 25 with a max salary slot open sounds pretty appealing. Maybe try to add end of prime Klay?

Last edited by mac222b; 02-08-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #513
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Idk if you can add Capela or Gordon, depending on whether you get a big or wing in the draft, you have a nice under 25 core of Capela or Gordon, DSJ, Draft pick with Barnes turning 26 and expiring after next season. 3 studs under 25 with a max salary slot open sounds pretty appealing. Maybe try to add end of prime Klay?
Yeah see my dream scenario looks more like DSJ, 1st round pick this year, Barnes, and adding RJ Barrett or Cam Reddish or Kris Wilkes i.e. some other player in next year's draft who could be in the top 5. I don't see Capela or Gordon having that kind of potential.

I'd want to keep the cap space & use it to continue to collect assets (draft picks) from teams who still need to get under the tax for the next 2 years. Kinda copy what Boston did & stockpile assets for a few years; not immediately run out & spend on Capela/Gordon & hope a guy like Klay Thompson would come here.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #514
Underdog

Quote:
Yeah see my dream scenario looks more like DSJ, 1st round pick this year, Barnes, and adding RJ Barrett or Cam Reddish or Kris Wilkes i.e. some other player in next year's draft who could be in the top 5. I don't see Capela or Gordon having that kind of potential.

I'd want to keep the cap space & use it to continue to collect assets (draft picks) from teams who still need to get under the tax for the next 2 years. Kinda copy what Boston did & stockpile assets for a few years; not immediately run out & spend on Capela/Gordon & hope a guy like Klay Thompson would come here.
Boston traded major assets (the Big 3) to acquire a bunch of picks at once, which is the only reason they were able to build the way they did (which also included trading several picks for players)... Dallas has no such assets, and will probably be rebuilding for the next 5-10 years if we stick strictly to building through the draft. Plus, after this upcoming draft there's no reason to assume that we'll still be bad enough to get a top pick in 2019. If we end up with a mid-first, then chances are their ceiling will be somewhere in the range of Capela/Gordon anyway -- might as well just cut to the chase.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #515
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Boston traded major assets (the Big 3) to acquire a bunch of picks at once, which is the only reason they were able to build the way they did (which also included trading several picks for players)... Dallas has no such assets, and will probably be rebuilding for the next 5-10 years if we stick strictly to building through the draft. Plus, after this upcoming draft there's no reason to assume that we'll still be bad enough to get a top pick in 2019. If we end up with a mid-first, then chances are their ceiling will be somewhere in the range of Capela/Gordon anyway -- might as well just cut to the chase.
I can't predict the future, and I'm definitely not well-versed enough on the salary cap to say anything definitively, but I'm suggesting our asset could be taking on bad contracts in exchange for draft picks. You're right. We don't have the big 3 to deal, but it seems like the new currency is taking on salary. Seems to be a 2 year window to capitalize on this & the Mavs are one of the few teams with that cap space. I don't see the Mavs going anywhere in the next 2 years, so we might as well stockpile (if that's an option).

I'd rather have two mid 1st round draft picks and two mid 2nd round draft picks than Capela or Gordon for a non-playoff team.

I could be wrong. I will say this. I think you're over-estimating what our 1st round pick will do for us next year. Unless it's Ayton or Doncic, I don't see that player impacting next season significantly. If it's a guy like Bamba, he could actually be a detriment his first year until his body fills out & he figures things out.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #516
Underdog

Quote:
I'd rather have two mid 1st round draft picks and two mid 2nd round draft picks than Capela or Gordon for a non-playoff team.
I'd rather have one mid-first and Capela or Gordon than two mid-firsts -- both of those guys are already what you'd HOPE a mid-first could max out at. And it's not like we'd be trading for these guys, they're restricted free agents, so we'd keep our pick.. Which means you can sign them to a 4-year contract, locking them up long enough to grow alongside DSJ and whoever we draft this summer. At their age (Gordon 22, Capela 23), it's not much different than getting a draft pick, except they've already proven not to be busts. I'd say that's a MUCH better use of our cap space than absorbing useless overpaid players who are just going to waste a roster spot, keeping the "next Motley" from being called up from the Legends.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-08-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #517
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
I'd rather have one mid-first and Capela or Gordon than two mid-firsts -- both of those guys are already what you'd HOPE a mid-first could max out at. And it's not like we'd be trading for these guys, they're restricted free agents, so we'd keep our pick.. Which means you can sign them to a 4-year contract, locking them up long enough to grow alongside DSJ and whoever we draft this summer. At their age (Gordon 22, Capela 23), it's not much different than getting a draft pick, except they've already proven not to be busts. I'd say that's a MUCH better use of our cap space than absorbing useless overpaid players who are just going to waste a roster spot, keeping the "next Motley" from being called up from the Legends.
I agree with your points. Especially with a proven NBA player being more valuable than an individual draft pick in a comparable draft position.

We disagree on where the Mavs are headed next year, though. I full expect the Mavs to be a bottom 10 team in the league next year too, no matter whether they sign a big FA or not.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #518
Underdog

Quote:
I agree with your points. Especially with a proven NBA player being more valuable than an individual draft pick in a comparable draft position.

We disagree on where the Mavs are headed next year, though. I full expect the Mavs to be a bottom 10 team in the league next year too, no matter whether they sign a big FA or not.
Depends on who we get in this draft, but I'd say a core of DSJ/Jaren/Barnes/Capela or DSJ/Gordon/Barnes/Ayton is going to be good enough to put us outside the top-10, especially since we'll still have cap space left to make more moves... Hell, if we can get Wes to opt out and sign a longterm deal elsewhere, then we could even add another max FA to our core (not that we will, just illustrating how much cap space we'll have to work with).

Old 02-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #519
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Depends on who we get in this draft, but I'd say a core of DSJ/Jaren/Barnes/Capela or DSJ/Gordon/Barnes/Ayton is going to be good enough to put us outside the top-10, especially since we'll still have cap space left to make more moves... Hell, if we can get Wes to opt out and sign a longterm deal elsewhere, then we could even add another max FA to our core (not that we will, just illustrating how much cap space we'll have to work with).
Not saying you're wrong. I just think it'll go the other way. Outside of Harrison Barnes, we don't have a good history of getting FAs to come here.

Wes will not opt out of his deal. He'd literally have to hate money to do that. The narrative in the NBA this offseason is backup players signed in 2016 will be earning more than starters who sign this offseason. Wes is on 2015 money. He's not giving that up. He can opt in to $18.6 mil next year. There will be better players this offseason who sign 2 year deals for less than $18.6 mil.

We all do it. But, you're just saying what you'd wish for, but it's not reality. Wes is opting in. It's foolish to think otherwise.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #520
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm sure Wes is either opting in with us or doing a longer term deal with us for lesser per year. The other thing that I expect to happen is Seth coming back. But on like $8-10million a year (instead of the close to $20 he could have commanded if we had a healthy season with production like last Dec./Spring).

If we can get an Ayton in the draft + a nice early/mid 20 yr old free agent + Seth back healthy and 15ppg level productive, I'm all for being excited about the playoffs again and think it would be very likely they make it. Then, see how that core starts gelling.... A lot of ifs though I guess.

Last edited by Robillion; 02-08-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote