Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road
Default Draft Chris Taft (The Perfect Move)

I love this kid. He is sooo talented.

I say buy the grizz pick(#13) for 3 mill and draft him.

Check out what draftexpress says about him: http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=162

Also check out what nbadraft.net says: http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/christaft.asp

I say he is a perfet fit, what do you think
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
bob_sacamento

bob_sacamento is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Draft Chris Taft (The Perfect Move)

From draftexpress: "His work ethic has been questioned, and his coaches won't go as far as to refute that. The way he jogs up and down the floor sometimes, his half-assed efforts to establish position and call for the ball in the paint, his lazy attempts at showing on the pick and roll or in the half hearted screens he sets for his teammates, this guy just doesn't look like he cares all that much most of the time."

Also Memphis owns the 19th pick (I think that was just a typo).
bob_sacamento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

I've never heard of a team selling a first-round pick for cash.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
dashthemavfan13

dashthemavfan13 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Draft Chris Taft (The Perfect Move)

New Jersey did it last year. Well, they did get Eddie Gill as well, but they immediately cut him.
dashthemavfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I don't want Chris Taft and that is as honest as I can be about it.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #6
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dashthemavfan13
New Jersey did it last year. Well, they did get Eddie Gill as well, but they immediately cut him.
Good point, didn't know that. If we could get the #19, I think Taft would probably be a good choice. I'd prefer Ike Diogu if he's still around though. Johan Petro's scouting report is intriguing, although I've never seen him play of course.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:41 AM   #7
Lebanese_Fan

The grizz publicly expressed interest that they wanted to sell their #19 pick.

Remember what people said about Amare when he was in the draft, he was attacked severely for stupid reasons. This guy could be a sleeper. He has been ridiculed because of his so called bad work. He wasn't invited to the draft on Tuesday. I think he is gonna be on a mission to prove everybody wrong. Anger is a great motivator.

His positives are unbelievable, I don’t know how we can not even consider him.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
riDIRKulous41

riDIRKulous41 is on a distinguished road

The knock on Amare was that he had moved around so much there was question as to why. He didn't have character issues. Taft has shown to be lazy in game film. I'm not a fan of his at all. I'd much rather find a way to deal up and get Channing Frye. He is a great athlete, good rebounder, shot blocker and everyone has nothing but glowing reports about his work ethic and effort.

Here is his scouting report from Draftexpress.com:

His biggest strength has to be his size, at nearly 7 feet tall. For a player his size, he runs the floor extremely well and can get up off the floor to finish plays at the basket, change shots defensively and rebound in traffic. On top of that, he has a very nice wingspan which makes him an excellent shot blocking threat at the college level, especially coming from the weak side. When he is focused and motivated, his timing can be very impressive.

Offensively, Frye is a finesse player who prefers to face the basket and owns a very nice looking jump shot. He has range out to about 16-18 feet and can consistently knock down the mid-range jumper if you give it to him. His numbers from the free throw line most certainly back that up, at 83% which is outstanding for a big man. In the pros, the pick and pop should be a great play to run for him. Around the basket, Frye can score as long as he isn't being contested too fiercely thanks to his height, length and athletic ability. He has a nice little jump hook shot that could become his go to move in the pros. Frye is an efficient scorer who makes the most of his touches, shooting 56% from the floor in his four years at Arizona on over 700 field goals made.

In terms of character and intangibles, Frye is about as solid as you'll find. He is an intelligent, soft spoken kid who carries himself well both on and off the floor and will be an excellent locker room presence in the pros.

riDIRKulous41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
Lebanese_Fan

Fye is a top 10 pick, much more expensive than taft. I really like frye, but getting taft is easier and will not require shaking up the roster.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #10
riDIRKulous41

That is true and he is really talented. If they go that route, I expect they will have done their homework on him. I just hate to add bad character/work ethic guys to the roster. Look at what Antoine Walker did to the chemistry. I'm not categorically opposed to Taft, just worried about the things I've read. If they got him and he turned out to he even Amare-light, I'd be ecstatic.

Would you trade Damp to Memphis for that pick if they wanted him? I know Jerry West tried really hard to get him last year. I can't get to Hoopshype right now to see where they are in relation to the cap, but maybe Damp for Lorenzen Wright and #13? Wright asked to be traded and he could play some center for us.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Damp for Wright and the #19 that would definately be intriguing. Memphis has the 19th, not the 13th. I guess it would depend on who is available at the 19th pick, and what they think of that person.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:00 AM   #12
Lebanese_Fan

Yeah, I had a typo and put 13 instead of 19. My bad. But Taft is available at 19.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:06 AM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

If Taft is available at 19, and the Mavs want him, would they do the Damp - Wright, or just give Memphis the 3M for the pick, and get him that way?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 06-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #14
Lebanese_Fan

I doubt Memphis will take Damp's big contract. They want to decrease the salary cap. That is why they don't want to give him an extension. Get the pick straight up is the easiest and best move because damp is better and more intimidating on defense. He can also handle slow centers really well. Remember guys that Damp is the best center that plays Shaq 1 on 1. Shaq HATES damp to death.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:15 AM   #15
riDIRKulous41

IF Memphis will sell the pick. That is a big IF. I know it has been done before, but if they are looking at dumping salary, selling the pick doesn't help, it hurts. The pick is a lower paid guy than a veteran.
I don't know that they would balk on Damp's contract. That may spur them to move Gasol in a different deal, if they get a center they covet (West does covet Damp).

Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 AM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Draft reports are wrong 90% of the time, and 88% of the time the reports make it sound like players are allstar prospects.

Quote:
A versatile Power Forward with sensational fundamentals. Can also play either in C or cause headaches when used at SF. Very intelligent with great understanding of the game. Has a wingspan of a 7'1" man. He's a great talent with a good work ethic. Showed great improvement over the last 3 years. Has gained a bunch of experience that has resulted in maturity and given birth to leadership skills. Has tremendous ball-handling skills combined with quickness, great reflexes and court sense. Creates his own shots using his point-guard-like ball-handling skills, has a nice, hard to block, jump-shot with a quick release. Penetrates smoothly into the paint from both sides either finishing with a lay-up or finding the open man with an assist, even when faced with a double team. Great agility that causes problems against bigger bodies. He outruns his opponents. Very impressive in the open court, goes with great energy to the basket. He's not afraid of "traffic" in the paint. Puts up high percentages in shooting. He can shoot facing the basket, he can post up against smaller bodies, and can kill opponents with a long range shot... Defensively he is close to solid. He is keen on stealing balls and grabbing offensive rebounds for garbage points.
Sounds like Dirk, eh? Who was that? Zarko Cabarkapa

And this beauty

Quote:
A prolific scorer with great toughness and competitiveness. Has a very good crossover. It's not Tim Hardaway deadly, but it's very good. His outside shot is much better than Tim Hardaway's and his quickness and low center of gravity (style of play) are both reminiscent of Hardaway. Can run the point guard position, and has excellent character, leadership abilities. Has a great release on his shot, and a killer instinct.
Steve Logan

And guess which current Mav this describes:

Quote:
______'s athleticism is not overwhelming and wont stand out on the next level. His first step isn't as quick as many NBA wing players. His overall speed is average. His feet aren't the quickest, making him a little slow with his lateral quickness. Has good leaping ability, but explosion on his jumps is average. Not as fluid an athlete as someone such as ex-Minnesota wing Quincy Lewis, however his intangables are much better.
all bios from NBAdraft.net
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Draft reports are wrong 90% of the time, and 88% of the time the reports make it sound like players are allstar prospects.

Quote:
A versatile Power Forward with sensational fundamentals. Can also play either in C or cause headaches when used at SF. Very intelligent with great understanding of the game. Has a wingspan of a 7'1" man. He's a great talent with a good work ethic. Showed great improvement over the last 3 years. Has gained a bunch of experience that has resulted in maturity and given birth to leadership skills. Has tremendous ball-handling skills combined with quickness, great reflexes and court sense. Creates his own shots using his point-guard-like ball-handling skills, has a nice, hard to block, jump-shot with a quick release. Penetrates smoothly into the paint from both sides either finishing with a lay-up or finding the open man with an assist, even when faced with a double team. Great agility that causes problems against bigger bodies. He outruns his opponents. Very impressive in the open court, goes with great energy to the basket. He's not afraid of "traffic" in the paint. Puts up high percentages in shooting. He can shoot facing the basket, he can post up against smaller bodies, and can kill opponents with a long range shot... Defensively he is close to solid. He is keen on stealing balls and grabbing offensive rebounds for garbage points.
NBAdraft.net

Sounds like Dirk, eh? Who was that? Zarko Cabarkapa

And this beauty

Quote:
A prolific scorer with great toughness and competitiveness. Has a very good crossover. It's not Tim Hardaway deadly, but it's very good. His outside shot is much better than Tim Hardaway's and his quickness and low center of gravity (style of play) are both reminiscent of Hardaway. Can run the point guard position, and has excellent character, leadership abilities. Has a great release on his shot, and a killer instinct.
Steve Logan

And guess which current Mav this describes:

Quote:
______'s athleticism is not overwhelming and wont stand out on the next level. His first step isn't as quick as many NBA wing players. His overall speed is average. His feet aren't the quickest, making him a little slow with his lateral quickness. Has good leaping ability, but explosion on his jumps is average. Not as fluid an athlete as someone such as ex-Minnesota wing Quincy Lewis, however his intangables are much better.
NBAdraft.net

Thanks for posting EL, you gave me my laugh for the day...........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #18
Lebanese_Fan

"______'s athleticism is not overwhelming and wont stand out on the next level. His first step isn't as quick as many NBA wing players. His overall speed is average. His feet aren't the quickest, making him a little slow with his lateral quickness. Has good leaping ability, but explosion on his jumps is average. Not as fluid an athlete as someone such as ex-Minnesota wing Quincy Lewis, however his intangables are much better."

Josh Howard, right?!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

you are correct
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote