Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs 105 Nuggets 117

The start of the 4th quarter obviously killed us but like I said: Carlisle was stuck. We're completely thin without Josh and Dirk admitted he was out of gas late in Game 1. You need a fresh Dirk and Co. so you've gotta roll the dice and hope you survive. 2 of the 3 are definitely going to have to rest and you're guessing it's Dirk and Kidd. You're still going to have a pretty sluggish offensive line-up out there if it's just Jet. You just have to hope the bench guys contribute like they did in the 1st half...because they did contribute.

Same defensive strategy against Dirk and pretty much the same result. He showed a lot of aggression and he really put the pressure on the refs. He was very efficient with his scoring and the points just kept piling up. I really don't like the continuing trend of guys just Dirk-watching. He gets the ball and might have a few dribbles but maybe once in the past two games has anyone really decided to move and give Dirk another option.

Jet has really been in a funk in these 09 playoffs. I know I can't look for shining moments on defense all the time, but it seemed like he was just especially bad. It seemed like everyone was running right by him. He started getting rolling in the 3rd quarter and it was going to be pivotal to get a 2nd scorer going with Dirk if Dallas wanted a shot at this. You saw some classic Jet shots in the 3rd but this series just seems like one that is too fast for Jet. It looked like he was playing too fast in the Spurs series, and now the series is too fast for him.

I'm not sure either of the assignment for Wright, with him being on Billups. It seems like they're letting Kidd take a lesser assignment or be a spy. I mean, he can fill that role...but I'd rather have him go at Billups or have a shot at slowing down an offensive weapon for Denver. Either way, Wright is doing his job...he's making people work to get their shots off.

It was real subtle with the bench but everyone chipped in. Before I looked at the stats for halftime I would've said that it wasn't that good...but the fact that everyone scored was actually surprising. JJ really couldn't get his timely charging calls and didn't have a clear path to the lane. Bass wasn't a factor on the boards due to the taller bodies for Denver. In spite of that, they were all a factor in the scoring department and we needed it. The 2nd half was a different story, they weren't able to really do anything.

I'm REALLY getting tired of the Will He or Won't He with Josh. It's just getting to be too much for me. It's pretty scary when you see a lineup like:
JJ, Jet, Singleton, Bass and Damp. I can't remember if that's the exact lineup we had rolling in the 2nd quarter, but it was something very similar to that. We just get massively depleted if Josh isn't out there.

Damp really wasn't a factor in the game and it's hard to tell right now if he actually will be one in this series. Nene is just giving him issues with his versatility. Hollins was active on both sides of the court. It's almost a given you can say that night in and night out.

You're down 0-2 but Denver did what they were supposed to do and they're an incredibly good home team. They use the altitude and their style against you and it can usually get you run out of the gym in the blink of an eye. Dallas just can't bail out when they come home and they need to be ready to play. What did I learn? Josh is really really hurt...Denver is a very good home team and Dallas is a wishy washy road team. But I already knew that stuff. They've got a few days off so hopefully Josh can get some treatment...waiting game for him again. This wasn't going to be easy...but you can't give up yet. You have to see how the dynamic changes when it's back in Dallas.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Gotta have Josh. Let's hope 3 1/2 days is enough to get him back to 75% or whatever he was at coming into the series.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Mavs will win games 3,4 and 6 if Josh is mostly healthy and ready to go. They lose scoring, defense, rebounding, and lots of depth loss without Howard as Dallas does not get much from 9-10
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
NugsFan

NugsFan is a jewel in the roughNugsFan is a jewel in the roughNugsFan is a jewel in the rough

What an exciting game, I agree, Dallas needs to get Howard back and come at full strength. He has 4 days to rest, so my guess is he will be out there. Plus it will be in Dallas, I think the Mavs will come out fired up and healthy, and probably take game 3. I hope not, but Dallas is just too good to lose 3 in a row to anybody.

Last edited by NugsFan; 05-06-2009 at 12:48 AM.
NugsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Josh is good for about 60%, at best, the rest of the run...that might be generous.

Dallas seriously needs to control their turnover issue. It's like the just go through a huge mental lapse and it happens in one big stretch.

This is a stretch...
But I'm really wondering if we should start Hollins over Damp.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-06-2009 at 12:50 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugsFan View Post
What an exciting game, I agree, Dallas needs to get Howard back and come at full strength. He has 4 days to rest, so my guess is he will be out there. Plus it will be in Dallas, I think the Mavs will come out fired up and healthy, and probably take game 3. I hope not, but Dallas is just too good to lose 3 in a row to anybody.
Miami 2006?

And y'all have already beat us 4 times in a row this season and are 10-1 in their last 11 against us.
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Carlisle is going to have to play a center for 48 minutes. He cannot sit Dirk in the 4th quarter. And he cannot play midgetball. Carlisle did all three of those things. That is why they lost.

Simple as that. Dirk can rest in the offseason. Or he can rest while he doesn't play for Germany. But now the Mavs are two games away from elimination. And the solution is pretty damn simple.

Unfortunately Carlisle has dropped the ball so far in the first two games.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

My thoughts:

1. Nene is just difficult for Mavs to match up with
2. Too many turnovers in quarters 1, 3, 4
3. Dirk was brilliant
4. JET hit a few big shots but was too mistake prone
5. Very similar storyline to Game 1

It just doesn't feel like the nuggets are "blowing us out" despite the final margins. Unless they're toying with us for 3 quarters. both games were close for 3 quarters then a snowball effect due to turnovers/missed shots in the 4th.

I dunno, I expect the tempo of the games will be more favorable for the Mavs @ home... but there is a huge athletic disparity between the two teams.

We need Josh back
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
My thoughts:

1. Nene is just difficult for Mavs to match up with
2. Too many turnovers in quarters 1, 3, 4
3. Dirk was brilliant
4. JET hit a few big shots but was too mistake prone
5. Very similar storyline to Game 1

It just doesn't feel like the nuggets are "blowing us out" despite the final margins. Unless they're toying with us for 3 quarters. both games were close for 3 quarters then a snowball effect due to turnovers/missed shots in the 4th.

I dunno, I expect the tempo of the games will be more favorable for the Mavs @ home... but there is a huge athletic disparity between the two teams.

We need Josh back
Why is Nene too difficult for the Mavs? I mean should he be? I just don't understand why Hollins, Damp and especially Bass isn't enough to contain him. But he's destroying the Mavs and making it look easy.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #11
PerryGreen17

PerryGreen17 will become famous soon enoughPerryGreen17 will become famous soon enough

Okay, still bitter off the loss...so I'm going to say these things and feel damn better for some reason...it's my right as a fan:

First, the Nuggets have been the better team this series...no question. Every team deserves to be good at least once every decade and a half.

Josh Howard has played one healthy quarter in this series...Mavs won that quarter by 8.

Nene and Billups are the only two Nuggets I can look at without either getting sick to my stomach or wanting to punch them in the face.

Carmelo is the definition of volume scorer.

The fans in Denver show about as much class as the fans of a team who is not used to winning...oh, wait. Booing the best player on the court just cause?

The only two future hall of famers in this series both play for Dallas.

Is Birdman serious? About that hair? About those tattoo's? Wow, troubled past I guess.

George Karl looks like a smug, worn out mafia reject.

"Garbage thug ball" might work against a depleted Mavericks team, but I can't wait to see what happens later in the playoffs. What goes around comes around, remember that.

A double technical foul when one player was trying to hold the other one up from falling is ridiculous.

The fat yuppie yelling at Dirk when he complained about the ball going off of JR was laugh out loud hilarious. It was even funnier when the replay and the announcers proved that it did in fact go off the Nugget.

The whole Nuggets operation stinks of amateur. Act like you've been there before...oh, wait.

There, now I feel better. At least we beat those Spurs.
PerryGreen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
NugsFan

NugsFan is a jewel in the roughNugsFan is a jewel in the roughNugsFan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider972 View Post
Miami 2006?

And y'all have already beat us 4 times in a row this season and are 10-1 in their last 11 against us.
Well that was a fluke IMO, The Nuggets have a tendency to drop silly games, I sitll think this series is going 7, maaaaaybe 6 if the Nuggets get some more lucky bounces.
NugsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Why is Nene too difficult for the Mavs? I mean should he be? I just don't understand why Hollins, Damp and especially Bass isn't enough to contain him. But he's destroying the Mavs and making it look easy.
He's got a really good mix of athleticism and strength, he's got a pretty good first step too. Now our Centers aren't world beaters or anything, so he's definitely going to have a great shot of looking good against us.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #14
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I think Hollins would be the best defender against Nene. He is quick, athletic and strong but he doesn't have respect from the referees yet..and definitely not any experience. Damp is way too slow. They have a great PG who knows how to get him the ball in the right places. and..wtf Bass? That guy plays less defense than Dirk imo.

and it isn't like Nene is a terrible player. He is a good solid player. He isn't beating us with any spectacular moves. He is getting open looks, open dunks, great feeds, and transition baskets.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
I think Hollins would be the best defender against Nene. He is quick, athletic and strong but he doesn't have respect from the referees yet..and definitely not any experience. Damp is way too slow. They have a great PG who knows how to get him the ball in the right places. and..wtf Bass? That guy plays less defense than Dirk imo.

and it isn't like Nene is a terrible player. He is a good solid player. He isn't beating us with any spectacular moves. He is getting open looks, open dunks, great feeds, and transition baskets.
Is that a +1 for my start Hollins idea?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs will win Game 3. Game 4 could go either way.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #17
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Josh is good for about 60%, at best, the rest of the run...that might be generous.

Dallas seriously needs to control their turnover issue. It's like the just go through a huge mental lapse and it happens in one big stretch.

This is a stretch...
But I'm really wondering if we should start Hollins over Damp.
It won't matter he will just pick up 2 fouls in 5-6 minutes and then sit, go with Damp and play them both combined for 48 minutes.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #18
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Is that a +1 for my start Hollins idea?
I am fine with that idea. Diop would've been perfect for that matchup imo. Put in Damp to rebound and play defense when Birdman comes off the bench. His offensive boards killed us.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #19
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Hope we win two in a row at home.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #20
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
It won't matter he will just pick up 2 fouls in 5-6 minutes and then sit, go with Damp and play them both combined for 48 minutes.
I think that's possible in Denver...I dunno about Dallas.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #21
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Kidd has gone from being a significant part of the team in the Spurs series to being absolutely HORRIBLE. Turnovers. Horrible shooting. Horrible decision making. Horrible defense. Kidd is the main reason we've sucked.

And Terry...he makes shots but he also has fallen into the habit of shooting every time the ball is in his hands. And he's making just as many stupid turnovers as Kidd.

We need EXTREMELY better guard play or this is over in 4. Guard play is deciding this series. I say take a chance and give Barea's minutes to Green.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #22
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post
Kidd has gone from being a significant part of the team in the Spurs series to being absolutely HORRIBLE. Turnovers. Horrible shooting. Horrible decision making. Horrible defense. Kidd is the main reason we've sucked.
I agree. Kidd's decline is probably the single biggest reason why this series is going so much more poorly than the Spurs series.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #23
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I can't say I'm surprised. The Nuggets are just better than the Mavs. I'm honestly fine with it at this point. I really could not be more pleased with the way the season has played out. I went through most of the season dreading a first round ass-whomping from the Lakers. We not only managed to win the first series, but we did it against the Spurs, and in only 5 games too. Knocking their smug asses out is almost worth losing to Denver.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-06-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #24
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

the only real question is whether by saturday, jason kidd will have grown some balls.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #25
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

No Josh Howard, Dampier limping around on one leg... this series is done.

Mavs may win one at home, but done.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #26
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Again, I can't say I'm surprised. The Nuggets are just better than the Mavs. I'm honestly fine with it at this point. I really could not be more pleased with the way the season has played out. I went through most of the season dreading a first-round ass whomping from the Lakers. We not only managed to win the first series, but we did it against the Spurs, and in only 5 games too. Knocking their smug asses out is almost worth losing to Denver.
I can agree that this team might just be able to have their way with us. They have some Golden State in them but they have some guys like Nene and Billups, so that kind of steers you off that course. They might be better...but they still could be beaten, I'm not hesitant to say that. Of course, a lot of things have to go our way (healthy, bounces, etc etc.)...but it's still possible.

I know for sure I'd much rather have this than flaming out and missing the playoffs. I've stood firm on that since it ever came into question.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #27
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Again, I can't say I'm surprised. The Nuggets are just better than the Mavs. I'm honestly fine with it at this point. I really could not be more pleased with the way the season has played out. I went through most of the season dreading a first-round ass whomping from the Lakers. We not only managed to win the first series, but we did it against the Spurs, and in only 5 games too. Knocking their smug asses out is almost worth losing to Denver.
Unfortunately, this seems to be the same loser mentality engrossing the entire roster not named Dirk. "We've exceeded expectations. Let's call it a day."

I don't believe that, when both teams are completely healthy, the Nuggets are vastly superior to the Mavs. Take away Nene or Billups and how good are the Nuggets? Same goes for the mavs. Same went for the Spurs. Take away a top 3 rotational player and just what do you expect?

The Nuggets did what they were supposed to do. Maybe the Mavs do the same. Maybe they don't. But, hell, it's not impossible. It all starts with guard play, though. Dirk can't do it all himself.

Carlisle has GOT to come up with something better, offensively, than isolating Terry at the 3 pt line for basically a quarter and ignoring Dirk. Dirk went what seemed like a full quarter without getting the ball. To this day I'll NEVER understand how any supposed good coach would NOT get his best player the ball for even 3 consecutive possessions. It's beyond the height of stupidity.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #28
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I think the games will flow better for the Mavs at home. less sloppiness and less fast break points for Nuggets, just seem like things that a team does at home but not as much on road. Their shooters seem due to get hot though and Nene isn't a burden.

I'm not panicking yet I really feel like the Mavs haven't been as outclassed as some think. These games have been close for 3 quarters it's just two bad stretches in 4th! Hard to spin it since we gotta win 4/5 against a team we're 0-6 against but I believe!
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #29
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Oh. And I think Dallas will "all of the sudden" get some more foul shots due to their "aggressiveness" that happens to coincide with the series shifting back to Dallas.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:00 AM   #30
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unfortunately, this seems to be the same loser mentality engrossing the entire roster not named Dirk. "We've exceeded expectations. Let's call it a day."

I don't believe that, when both teams are completely healthy, the Nuggets are vastly superior to the Mavs. Take away Nene or Billups and how good are the Nuggets? Same goes for the mavs. Same went for the Spurs. Take away a top 3 rotational player and just what do you expect?
Well, forgive me for having a loser mentality, but I'm f*cking ecstatic that they got to the second round at all. I thought they looked about average for most of the season. And to answer your question, if you take away Nene, the Nuggets are still better then the Mavs. Not Billups, but Nene, yes I think so.

And frankly I don't see this mentality you're speaking of on the team. They don't look demoralized to me. They just look outclassed. Maybe the Nuggets aren't "vastly" superior to the Mavs, maybe they are, I don't know. Just how vastly is vastly? Vastly or no, they are a superior team.

Quote:
The Nuggets did what they were supposed to do. Maybe the Mavs do the same. Maybe they don't. But, hell, it's not impossible. It all starts with guard play, though. Dirk can't do it all himself.
I agree that it starts with guard play, but the problem is their guards are better than ours. Our backcourt has been a weak spot on this roster for several years now.

Quote:
Carlisle has GOT to come up with something better, offensively, than isolating Terry at the 3 pt line for basically a quarter and ignoring Dirk. Dirk went what seemed like a full quarter without getting the ball. To this day I'll NEVER understand how any supposed good coach would NOT get his best player the ball for even 3 consecutive possessions. It's beyond the height of stupidity.
And yet it happens year after year after year with this team. Who knows, maybe it's not the coach's fault after all, maybe I was too hard on Avery. Last year at least we had a point who could break the defense and get into the paint, but oh well, I know nobody wants to hear about that again. My point is that the personnel around Dirk is not nearly good enough to make good use of his talents.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-06-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #31
ray_sir_6

ray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

And Terry...he makes shots but he also has fallen into the habit of shooting every time the ball is in his hands. And he's making just as many stupid turnovers as Kidd.

We need EXTREMELY better guard play or this is over in 4. Guard play is deciding this series. I say take a chance and give Barea's minutes to Green.
...and what's with the "Everyone go for a 3!" mentality that the Mavs get when they get behind? Or when another team makes a big 3? Wehn you get behind, you drive, and drive and drive. Eventually you'll get a three, but you need POINTS, and the long ball (hailmary 3s) aren't the fastest way to get them. That pissed me off all season, and now in the playoffs. Drive, get fouls, get into the penalty, get the points. It hardly ever works just tossing the 3s up.
ray_sir_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #32
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
...and what's with the "Everyone go for a 3!" mentality that the Mavs get when they get behind? Or when another team makes a big 3? Wehn you get behind, you drive, and drive and drive. Eventually you'll get a three, but you need POINTS, and the long ball (hailmary 3s) aren't the fastest way to get them. That pissed me off all season, and now in the playoffs. Drive, get fouls, get into the penalty, get the points. It hardly ever works just tossing the 3s up.
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Whenever we get behind like in the 4th, JET and Kidd just start chucking up threes, it really compounds things.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #33
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
you're right..the other thing that it does is slow the game down -- denver won't be getting long rebounds and throwing outlet passes for easy dunks.

again, this is why denver will not be able to beat a team like LA who can throw the ball into Pau and Bynum to slow the game down and get quick fouls on the denver bigs.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #34
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Mavs will win games 3,4 and 6 if Josh is mostly healthy and ready to go. They lose scoring, defense, rebounding, and lots of depth loss without Howard as Dallas does not get much from 9-10
Josh will not be mostly healthy until next season. So forget that.

In fact, Josh will not be as healthy as he was in the San Antonio game even either, when he was maybe 85%.

The best you can possibly hope for is a 70% Josh... and a 70% Josh is almost no better than a healthy Josh since it means a Josh which stands around the arc and jacks up shots, because his ankles can't take the pounding.

That's not good enough to stop Denver.

I really would like to see more from Bass though. I don't expect him to shut Nene down, but he ought to be able to do SOMETHING against Nene. He's the only guy on this team that has the physical tools necessary to do anything against him either on the offensive or defensive end. He's the only one with any shot. I know Nene's bigger and stronger, but we've seen Bass take on Shaq and do well. Is it the combination of bigger, stronger AND just as fast as Bass that's killing him? Maybe. Usually he has either a speed advantage or a strength advantage against anyone he goes up against. He has neither against Nene and seems useless. Still, he and maybe Hollins are pretty much the Mavs only hope in the paint.

Maybe Damp might be of some use if he wasn't hobbling on one leg, I don't know. As it is now, they might as well sit him and start Bass or Hollins for all the good he's doing.

Of course Hollins can't stay out of foul trouble and Bass sucks as much as Damp, so it's not like they have any choice but to play Damp.

The Mavs just have no answers. None. Whether it's on the road or at home, it seems like the only way they can win is if Denver screws up.

Last edited by cinemablend; 05-06-2009 at 04:42 AM.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #35
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Old 05-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #36
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

We did a few things beter than in game 1 (mostly bench play) but there are still 2 big things that have been issues for a long time.

1.)Why do we still play the 3 Guard Terry,Barea Kidd lineup?
we played it for like 6 minutes yesterday and our line was -13 with us getting outscored in 5 of the 6 stretches - the last one was even.
2.) Our interior defense is just too slow. 96 minutes without drawing a charge now and letting them get half their points in the paint (if you include the FT's which were almost all coming from fouls in the paint. WE let them shoot like 20 FT's in the first half - if we manage to play some D without fouling we'd be up by 15 by the end of the third.
Hollins, Bass and Damp again picked up 13 fouls (14 last game) and none of them was a hard one. If you are going to make them shoot freethrows at least make them earn it instead of basically having them go to the hoop and then walk to the stripe

I suppose it comes down to Howard. If he can't play in the second halves we haveno depth and the other guys don't get quite enough rest or we fall behind too much during those stretches. If we dont get Josh for 4 quarters we can't steal one in Denver - and I##m not sure if we can win without him at home either.

Last edited by Lor20; 05-06-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #37
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Mediocre defense and 5 minutes of 4th quarter collapse, combined with Denver's crowd and our awful transition defense, and we lose by double figures.

I think things are different is A, we're at home, and B) we have Josh. But I don't know.

It was disappointing to see the turnovers, bad shots and lack of rebounds at the start of the 4th, something that plagued us all of last game, but the team really did make good adjustments in the 2nd and 3rd.

We really did adjust well for this game, I felt. If we can make a few more necessary adjustments for Game 3, then I think we should win it. However, we can't be the same Mavericks who got blown out in Game 1 and 2, otherwise, I'm not sure HCA can bail us out.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #38
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor20 View Post
We did a few things beter than in game 1 (mostly bench play) but there are still 2 big things that have been issues for a long time.

1.)Why do we still play the 3 Guard Terry,Barea Kidd lineup?
we played it for like 6 minutes yesterday and our line was -13 with us getting outscored in 5 of the 6 stretches - the last one was even.
2.) Our interior defense is just too slow. 96 minutes without drawing a charge now and letting them get half their points in the paint (if you include the FT's which were almost all coming from fouls in the paint. WE let them shoot like 20 FT's in the first half - if we manage to play some D without fouling we'd be up by 15 by the end of the third.
Hollins, Bass and Damp again picked up 13 fouls (14 last game) and none of them was a hard one. If you are going to make them shoot freethrows at least make them earn it instead of basically having them go to the hoop and then walk to the stripe
It looked to me that Damp was outside the restricted area on that one blocking foul, so it should have been called a charge.

But in general, the Denver bigs are really quick, and Dampier is just not mobile enough to keep up with them, like you said.

I thought Hollins might do a little better, but he wasn't a lot better. However, if Dampier and Hollins are performing about the same on defense, then Hollins has a lot more upside with the potential to alley-oop and/or swat shots.

Rebounding is another issue...our zone was working, but as is the problem with any zone, rebounds didn't really come. Second chance points were a KILLER.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #39
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:

I like Green, but we all know he's not going to play except for hte last 2 minutes of a blowout.

Barea has a place on this team. While he has been less than satisfactory this series, he is a good scorer and streaky. He's bound to have a good game soon, and when he does, he might score 20.

If Green got anyone's time, it would be some of Josh's, in hopes that Green could pick up the slack when Josh is out of the game while keeping Josh healthy and rested for long periods on the bench.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #40
tcat075
Diamond Member

A big problem so far is the inability to run with Denver.

Who thinks that might change when we get home? I sure hope it does.