Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boomer Sooner - Bomar kicked off team for shananigans

Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar will not play for the Sooners this season following an investigation by the team, ESPN's Doug Gottlieb and Joe Schad reported Wednesday.

Sophomore J.D. Quinn, who was expected to start at guard, was also dismissed.

Oklahoma said that two players had been dismissed by the team but did not identify them. The school said in a statement that the players violated NCAA rules by working at a private business and taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked."

Bomar had a job at a Norman, Okla., car dealer at which he'd work about five hours a week, but claimed, for tax purposes, that he earned $18,000 a year, Schad reported.
The car dealership in question is Big Red Sports/Imports in Norman, Okla., reports Mark Schlabach. When contacted by phone, the person answering referred requests to attorney Jeffrey Atkins of Oklahoma City. The dealership is part of the Sooner Schooner Car Program, which supplies vehicles to coaches and athletic department officials.
In April, Oklahoma cleared standout running back Adrian Peterson, who purchased a vehicle from the dealership before securing financing, drove it for several weeks and then returned the car. Oklahoma investigated the situation, but ruled Peterson did not violate rules because the dealership said it was normal business practice.

"We spend a considerable amount of time addressing our players regarding their personal conduct and the NCAA rules," head coach Bob Stoops said in a statement. "They know exactly what we expect from them. Ultimately, they have to make right decisions. The same holds true for our boosters. When they do not, the consequences are serious, and we will not tolerate this behavior.
"Our team and university actions are necessary because of the intentional participation and knowledge of the student athletes in these violations," Stoops said.

A top-rated recruit out of high school, Bomar redshirted his first season while 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Jason White completed his career. Bomar lost a quarterback competition to Paul Thompson last fall, but was named the starter after the Sooners lost to TCU in the first week.
Bomar set an Oklahoma freshman record with 2,018 passing yards. He started Oklahoma's final 11 games and completed 54 percent of his passes, while throwing 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Oklahoma finished 2005 by winning six of its final seven games, including a victory against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.
Quinn, who was Bomar's roommate, started four times at right guard last season but missed spring practice with an injury.
"I firmly believe that our program is stronger than any individual player and that a championship program cannot compromise its values," Stoops said in the statement.
Thompson, the only quarterback other than Bomar with experience at Oklahoma, was moved to receiver after Bomar became the starter. A backup in 2002 and 2003, Thompson played in a reserve role until he beat out Bomar last fall.
In his career, Thompson has completed 42 of 73 passes for 428 yards. He caught 11 passes for 106 yards after moving to receiver last season.
Other options would be Joey Halzle, a junior transfer who passed for 2,077 yards and 13 touchdowns in 10 games last season at Golden West (Calif.) Community College, freshman Sam Bradford and walk-on Hays McEachern.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Couldn't have happened to more of a scumbag. Rhett and his dad can both suck it and now they will get there's. There are some rumors around that this isn't the end of it either. Probably internet fodder, but I'm hearing as many as 16 players were on the payroll on Big Red imports in Norman. Where there's smoke....

Oh man, this makes my day.

Why does Texas not fall into the Gulf of Mexico??? Because OU SUCKS!!!

and now it's being proven that they not only suck, but they cheat as well.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Not that they are getting sympathy from me, because they aren't.... but I am afraid that alot of Colleges turn a blind eye to stuff like this. It's just too bad that they got caught. 18,000? 5 hours a week? That works out to 70 bucks an hour if he works all 52 weeks (including the Summer). I wonder if he got "council" on the amount to file for tax purposes.... because that right there looks pretty fishy.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...l/Bomared1.jpg

check the link for true Bomar humor. More to come, I'm sure.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."

Last edited by The Crippler; 08-02-2006 at 06:07 PM.
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Rhett is a beast as a player no question. He sucks as a person though. Adrian isnt exactly the least arrogant person in the world either but then again if i was as good as him i probably wouldnt be either. I guess i will have to settle for the fact that if he turns in to anything special in the nfl(which he will) i can tell my kids i tackled him. Adrian supposedly gets a new car every month from somewhere which im assuming is that dealership. This isnt the end.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Chicken Diavlo

Chicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really nice

Ouch. Crazy ass Oklahomans.
Chicken Diavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, rhett and adrian are actually texans.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
Chicken Diavlo

Chicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really nice

But the one paying them was prolly a full-blooded Okie. I hope. Maybe I should have said crazy ass Sooners.
Chicken Diavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

"Adrian supposedly gets a new car every month from somewhere which im assuming is that dealership. This isnt the end."

The dealership in question here is the same one that let Peterson drive around in a Lexus for 3 months last summer. I've heard speculation that the NCAA's investigation into that may have led to this thing being uncovered.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Yeah i know what you are talking about. Everyone knew about that, what im telling you is that according to quite a few mutual friends, adrian STILL gets a new car about once a month.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

They'll get a slap on the wrist...just wait.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #12
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Bomar had proven himself to be an idiot long before this. This still sucks. Stoops has always prided himself on running a clean program, and I'm very pleased that he was willing to kick his starting quarterback off the team right before a season where we could contend for the national title. That shows his commitment to keeping OU's image clean after the ugly Switzer years.

I'm just hoping the NCAA sees it that way, but somehow, I doubt it.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Screw the NCAA. I'm so tired of their sanctimonious bullshit. It's why I don't care much for watching college football. I'm sure the games are very enjoyable, and I'm sure there are some great personal interest stories there, but every time I hear about a BCS school getting bajillions of dollars from a TV contract and a kid who took the use of a car, or a few thousand dollars, seeing his career path ruined...I get outraged by the hypocrisy of it all.

The NCAA is probably the most carnivorous organization in the entire United States. "Amateur" athletes should form a union.

I bet Matt Leinart drives (or drove) a Lexus, too. But his daddy is wealthy enough to give it to him. Let someone besides his daddy give it to him, though, and toss the kid in a proverbial jail.

Screw the NCAA.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Wait a minute, hold on..... People live in Oklahoma?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #15
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler

More to come, I'm sure.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy

Bomar had proven himself to be an idiot long before this. This still sucks. Stoops has always prided himself on running a clean program, and I'm very pleased that he was willing to kick his starting quarterback off the team right before a season where we could contend for the national title. That shows his commitment to keeping OU's image clean after the ugly Switzer years.

I'm just hoping the NCAA sees it that way, but somehow, I doubt it.
This was purely to save the program from getting in trouble when the ncaa finds out how much Peterson has gotten. Stoops can say look, i threw my starting qb off, obviously i was doing as much as possible and that is a good defense. He had to boot one of them to make it look like he was trying to keep it clean and if the choice is peterson or bomar, as good as bomar is its not a contest. This completely ends what little title hopes OU had. THey will never see less than an 8 man box on first or second down.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #17
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

In eleven games, he threw 10 TDs and 10 INTs. He had a 54% completion percentage and a 113 QB rating. What is there to miss?
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

He was a FRESHMAN. VY didnt exactly light the world on fire as a freshman either. He can run and throw. He was a talent and i guarantee you we havent heard the last of him.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #19
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

He was a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Those are hilarious. I got a few of them in an email this morning. The photoshoppers are having fun today.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs413
He was a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman.
And that means he wasnt a freshman exactly how? He was still a freshman. Vy redshirted too. He isnt vince and anyone who has seen any of my UT homerdom in the other football threads or anythread that involves reggie bush knows there is no way i would compare a freshman to Vince but Rhett is a beast too. If you watched his last several games last year you would know why everyone was so high on him. He sucked early then adjusted(though some of that could be that he was playing crappy teams) and people expected him to continue to improve as did I.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #22
mavs413
Golden Member

It means he is only a freshman in eligibility. He had a full year of practices and watching game film at OU, throwing passes against the 1st team defense on the scout team. Huge difference from a true freshman who was playing against HS kids the year before.

Rudy Carpenter, QB - RS Freshman, Arizona State - Played in 6 games
156-228 or 68.4% - 2273 yards, 10 yards per attempt - 17 TDs to 2 INTs - 175 QB Rating

Rhett Bomar, QB - RS Freshman, Oklahoma - Played in 11 games
167-308 or 54.2% - 2018 yards, 6.6 yards per attempt - 10 TDs to 10 INTs - 113 QB Rating
Old 08-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

For one, What rudy carpenter did has nothing to do with bomar. Yes i know there is a difference between a true and a redshirt freshman but the FACT is that he was still a freshman as far as football is concerned and you can practice or watch game film all you want but that isnt anything close to a game. As for Carpenter, what he did was no doubt impressive but Playing for ASU(a passing offense) in that conference is alot different than playing for OU in the big 12.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Bomar never scared me either. This is just a gut feeling but whenever I look at Rhet Bomar I see Chris Rix. A QB with pedigree, size, an arm, and an uncanny knack for making the wrong play at the wrong time. I know he was just a freshman but that's the what everyone said about Rix after he got his head handed to him by the Canes in 2001.

I could be wrong but I hope not. The kids an ass.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #25
Five-ofan
Guru

You are definitely correct about the last part of your statement dirno and had i not promised to quit cursing i would have said it exactly the same way. As for his talent, he could pan out or not, you never know but he most certainly does have talent.