Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default Over the top!

What do the Mavs need to give themselves an over the top team sure to compete for a championship (please note this is a rhetorical question that I'm going to answer immediately)?

An all-star quality shooting guard that can light it up but still plays strong defense. Our frontline of Dirk, Josh, & Diop/Damp/DJ is strong, and the point is well covered with JET/Harris/ and the soon to arive Mike "I am what I am but I'm not Cheap" James. We simply can't afford to play a two guard and a center that doesn't score, and there isn't any way to get a center that can play both sides of the ball.

Who in the league fits this description (nota bene: another rhetorical question)?

Ray Allen.

So here's the deal: Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris & Jerry Stackhouse for Ray Allen and Luke Ridnour (works on RealGM). Maybe we have to throw in a 2099 1st round draft choice or what we have left to trade.

Yes, giving up Devin hurts, but you got to give to get. Dallas is now stacked:

James/Ridnour
Allen/Jet (who becomes the best Sixth Man in the league--start engraving the award)
Howard/Ager/Pops Mensu-Whatever (I'd be on the bandwagon if I could only spell his name)
Dirk/Powell/Pittsnoggle (got to get a player with that name)
Diop/Damp/DJ/Pavel

Maybe pick up Griffin again, or keep Marshall, or find someone else to help out at the 3.

Seattle--Young and strong with Harris/Daniels/Lewis/Collison/whichever of the twenty-seven or so young prospects they've draft at center they feel like playing.

Next year, when Stack comes off the payroll, they've saved a ton of money (which is important to them). Anyway, Allen at 31 is too old to still be around when Seattle's young guys are ready to compete.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

That's a good roster, a bit unrealistic though. I thought about the prospect of getting Allen, but my biggest fear is that he becomes the next Finley.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Ager/Pops can't be the answer when Howard goes to the bench (which happens a lot with foul trouble)

That lineup will have us going small a lot.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Interesting idea...

Allen would be great to have, but I doubt they'd trade him.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 07-04-2006 at 02:37 PM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:40 AM   #5
zico

zico is on a distinguished road

What I would like, it's a Kirk Heinrich type. A goot shooter that can also set-up his teammates.
zico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 AM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Yeah, a player like him would be very nice to have. Hopefully Harris can develop into that.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

allen, strong defender? maybe 3-4 years ago. but he's pretty mediocre in this area now.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

He can't be worse than terry.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

two words. N. O. Lets develop Harris' potential so that he can become twice the player that Ray Allen is.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #10
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I really don't get the feeling that the Mavs really like how Devin has progressed. If the right deal comes along they will move him. It seems that a lot of people on this board are ready to trade Stack but I don't think that is going to happen. In terms of being traded I'd rank 'em like this:
1) Daniels
2) Harris
3) Dampier
4) Stackhouse

I can't see the Mavs trading any of the other players under contract for a variety of reasons. Either they are too valuable: Dirk, Howard or Terry or have no value: PPod, Marshall, Powell. Right now Harris' value has peaked though he is certainly an interesting prospect. I just think he needs a major confidence overhaul. Until he can get his confidence higher I don't see how he'll ever be anything more than an interesting prospect who shows flashes of brilliance and inspiration. Unfortunately, people who lack confidence tend to be erratic perfomers.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

If the mavs trade harris and dont get a paul pierce or Ai or another superstar it will be an insanely stupid move.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

They won't trade Harris unless thay get a superstar back. Period.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I am not saying they should trade Harris or anything like that. I am just saying that they don't seem to be that high on the guy and frankly I am certainly not as high on him as you are. I do like guys with speed and quickness though and he's got talent to burn. He may develop into something great down the line but right now his game has a lot of holes in it. He is not a complete player by any stretch and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he gets traded in the near future. I certainly don't think he's going to net the Mavs Paul Pierce, AI, Ray Allen or any other exceptional player. As for progress he's light years behind both Livingston and Nelson.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

I don't understand the hatred for Harris around here. A guy that can penatrate just like Tony Parker, and is in his second season, which he was hurt most of it. His outside shot is not horrible, it's just inconsistant.

His defense is pretty darn good, so if you think about it, Steve Nash sucked when he came here, and he had already been in the league, but thru time he became an MVP. He's a true point guard, let's develop him... So no, I would not put Devin in a trade for Ray Allen.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #15
GP

So now I hate Devin Harris because I plainly state the fact that he isn't as good as the Paul Pierce or Allen Iverson who someone suggested the Mavs should get back in a trade for him? In fact Devin happens to be one of my favorite players and I hope that he doesn't get traded and he becomes a full time starter at point if he is able to improve. I am not the person who offered Mike James the MLE to play in Dallas. I am just a fan. I just don't think the Mavs are trying to sign James to be a 20 minute a night backup. Do you? They want a back court duo of James and Terry. If they keep Devin how much PT would he get? Would he ever be able to develop like he should. Honestly, one of my favorite all time players was Kevin Johnson. I think Devin reminds me more of him than anyone in the league. Unfortunately, he isn't there yet and may never get there.

As for Nash did you ever see him play when he was in Phoenix? He was great. I watched many, many games where he was on the court at the end of the game and Kidd and Johnson were on the bench. Nash always could penetrate, score and dish. Always. It wasn't developed by the Mavs or Nellie. The only reason that Nash was traded to the Mavs was because Phoenix had Kidd and wanted to draft Marion. Oh, and by the way Ray Allen is a tremendous player and I mean a tremendous player! Like I said earlier, I don't want the Mavs to trade Devin; however, to imply that he is as good as or ever will be as good as Ray Allen is incredulous.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:30 PM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

He isnt as good as those guys. I didnt mean to imply that but his upside is such that you cant trade him without getting a star back. Honestly when he was healthy during the regular season last year he was the mavs second most important player.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #17
GP

I definitely agree that he has star potential. I am just not sure that the Mavs like him as much as we do though. I wanted to see the Mavs put him in the lineup and start him at point, play him for 35 - 40 minutes a game and get him developed. If they would have or could have done that he could have been so much more valuable in the playoffs. I am hoping the James thing doesn't go through and they are forced to play the kid big minutes. Frankly, I like Terry but the man doesn't have good skills for a point. Devin has special talent and the Mavs need to develop it even if it means losing a few more games.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:42 AM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Yeah, a player like him would be very nice to have. Hopefully Harris can develop into that.
he is not far away....just you wait and see....06/07 we'll be talking about Dirk/JT/JHo/Harris/ Diop or Damp as the best starting line in the League.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:21 AM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
he is not far away....just you wait and see....06/07 we'll be talking about Dirk/JT/JHo/Harris/ Diop or Damp as the best starting line in the League.
Yep, I can't wait til that happens. I think both Jho and Devin can develop into all star players very soon. Once Devin can hit that 17 footer consistently, watch out!

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 07-07-2006 at 04:21 AM.