Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-20-2004, 03:22 PM   #201
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE:Damned... Detroit Fans are Trash.

I dont know many people that wouldnt go nuts after getting pushed hard just below the neck, getting a towel thrown at, and getting beer thrown at.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:22 PM   #202
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see the league respond strongly and swiftly. I can only hope they throw Artest out for at least a year once they complete their investigtation.

NYCDog - It's ludicrous to suggest that "any NBA player" would react like Artest did. Moreover, it's reprehensible to suggest that his action was justified. A rational, mature adult would have just stayed on the court.

Old 11-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #203
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Just wondering how many of these football players saw SportsCenter.

South Carolina, Clemson players fight on field

Saturday, November 20, 2004

(11-20) 12:19 PST CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) --

Players from South Carolina and Clemson brawled late in the game Saturday, with 67-year-old coach Lou Holtz diving into the pile as peacemaker in his regular-season finale with the Gamecocks.

Police, security and coaches tried to separate the teams, who scuffled before the game started and continually pushed and shoved each other throughout.

The fight appeared to start at the line of scrimmage when South Carolina failed on a fourth-and-11. South Carolina offensive lineman Chris White was fighting with Clemson players and the others rushed to the center of the field to take part.

South Carolina receiver Matthew Thomas and Clemson cornerback Justin Miller also traded swings. The mass of players moved to the east end zone before security, state troopers and other law enforcement officers could break things up.

The public address announcer asked all players to clear the field.

Both teams were assessed unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. After a break of about 10 minutes, play resumed with Clemson ahead 29-7.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:09 PM   #204
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: Damned... Detroit Fans are Trash.

No matter who instigated this, no players should have touched any fans. If things were being thrown at the Pacers, they should have just walked to the locker room. They are supposed to be role models. They have no reason to get in fights.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:13 PM   #205
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Glad to see the league respond strongly and swiftly. I can only hope they throw Artest out for at least a year once they complete their investigtation.

NYCDog - It's ludicrous to suggest that "any NBA player" would react like Artest did. Moreover, it's reprehensible to suggest that his action was justified. A rational, mature adult would have just stayed on the court.

You sound like the United Nations. Only a coward with no self respect would stay on the court. Artest is a thug and for originally attacking the wrong fan he should have hell to pay, but I side with the players on this one.

Cowardly fan throws a cup of beer from the safe anonymity of the stands and tucks his hand in his pockets. Artest charges into the stands and the brave guy allows the guy next to him to catch the butt of the conflict instead of him. While he's restraining him the big brave fan decides to give artest 2 shots to the head from behind.

Fred Jones jumps into the crowd to break things up and he gets rewarded by being attacked from behind and rabbit punched by a Pistons employee.

While Artest is being restrained by multiple people another brave fan walks up and throws a cup of beer in his face. He's then rightfully bitch slapped by Stephen Jackson.

When Artest gets back down on the floor another big brave tough guy decides he's going to be a hero two. Artest hits him and the fat ass falls to the ground before he's tackled from the side by another fan. As the first fan is getting up J. O'Neal comes in and cold cocks the fat bastard, laying the tough guy on the floor where he deserves to be.

Then as the players are leaving the court the brave fans throw food and pour beer on them from the safe anonymity of the crowd once again. What a nice bunch.

Not only are Detroit fans come across as A$$holes, but they get shown up for being the cowardly wimps they are in the process.

I hope for the sanctity of what's right and justified the NBA doesen't get overzealous in it's prosecution.

Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:28 PM   #206
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I grew up in Michigan, but my career as a lawyer has been spent in Texas. Still, the throwing of the beer was at most a Class A misdemeanor, probably only a Class C misdemeanor--Artest and Jackson's actions were felonies. It is stupider than I can imagine from a legal standpoint to believe there is any self-defense justification (although defense attorneys have, of course, no shame) for their actions.

Artest should be suspended indefinitely, with a review of the situation before next year. I'd require Anger Management classes at a minimum before letting him play again.

Jackson should get 20 games. O'Neal should get 10 games. Wallace 2.

I suppose they can't be avoided, but I'd like to see no criminal or civil cases--the world is too litigious as it is (didn't expect to hear that from a lawyer, did you?).d
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #207
Mavs4skin

Mavs4skin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I'm ashamed of the guys on ESPN. They are an embarrassment to the network with the manner in which they are defending Artest.

I agree, I guess their just doing their job. As biased as it is.
Mavs4skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:22 PM   #208
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you guys have the term assault twisted. He threw a beer at him, but hitting the fan back is retaliation, not self defense. He could have easily avoided any more contact by escaping. So no, he can't claim he was trying to defend himself from the guy, by getting closer to him instead of avoiding him altogether, which would be easier.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #209
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Epitome22 wrote:
Quote:
You sound like the United Nations. Only a coward with no self respect would stay on the court.
Pathetic. Do you truly wish the message to America's youth to be, "When someone provokes you go after them"?

The cooler head prevails. Physical action should only be used if you are being directly attacked and absolutely must defend for your life. Otherwise the best thing to do is turn the other cheek and walk away.

Courage is seeing that violence doesn't equal violence.

We must lead by example just as Jesus led by example.

Romans 12:19 it is written that we should not avenge ourselves, but leave vengeance to God.
Romans 12:21: Do not be conquered by evil, but conquer evil with good.

Contrary to what you believe, the right thing to do was walk away to the center of the court.
The cowardice thing to do was retaliate and fight. Self respect is not to resort to violence, but portray strength through self control.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:51 PM   #210
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
I"m not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but....

Wasn't the incident with Dan Issel the result of his having beer poured on him by a drunken fan? Issel responded with a racial slur, and was fired by the Nuggets and is not heard from any more.

If Issel's punishment for a racial slur was dismissal, then how can the NBA justify anything less than an indefinite suspension for Artest, with his re-instatement to the league contingent on approval by a psychiatrist's evalution, demonstrated compliance with a medical regimen, extensive anger management counseling, and restitution to the fan(s) whom he assaulted.

It will be an utter injustice if Artest sets foot oncourt again this season.

So what are you saying? The Pacers should fire Artest? The NBA didn't fire Issel the Nuggets did so how is this situation even comparable?
It's obvious subjecting someone to a racial slur is much worse than trying to give them a concussion.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:00 PM   #211
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for the NBA, suspending them immediately and waiting to take their time before hopefully suspending artest at least for the year. I also think stephen jackson/oneal could just as easily be suspended for the year as well.

As far as bitching at the fans for fighting back AFTER artest, jackson come into the stands and start wailing on people, I would call that bravery. Some poor fan who didn't even throw anything probably was getting attacked by a 6'7' 240 pound lunatic. I guess they could have all stood back while he beat him to death but didn't. I applaud those fans because they sure weren't being chicken to tackle those three guys.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #212
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Epitome22
You sound like the United Nations. Only a coward with no self respect would stay on the court. Artest is a thug and for originally attacking the wrong fan he should have hell to pay, but I side with the players on this one.
So it's your position that the only self-respecting thing to do was to charge into the stands and attack the person that threw the drink at him?

The law calls what Artest did felony assault and inciting a riot. Common sense calls what Artest did an incredibly immature and juvenile overreaction to a classless act by a fan.