Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #41
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I know this technically doesn't matter but...

I thought the official seeding rules said that the three division winners all get top four seeds, regardless of record. Of course, this wouldn't help Utah right now because Houston's better record still takes home court. But I thought we'd see a "4" next to Utah and "5" next to Houston either way.

But now the NBA website lists Houston as the official #4 seed. Am I missing something?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #42
And1

And1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
When scoreboarding the super awesome Utah Jazz is the coolest thing you can do.... I dont know... kind of sad.
seems like some of you are doing the same with the warriors

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27384

Last edited by And1; 04-10-2007 at 11:20 AM.
And1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #43
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1
seems like some of you are doing the same with the warriors

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27384
On the contrary, I think as a whole we're giving the Warriors too much respect. Not scoreboarding them.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #44
And1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Houston is 6-4 over the last 10, which isn't all that great. If you had caught them a couple of games ago you could also say that they were on a losing streak of their own, losing to the Utah Jazz, the Warriors and the Trailblazers.

Rockets also are 1-2 so far against the Jazz and are notorious for their ability to blow a good season with an awful first-round series.
First of all yes, these are explanations/excuses so sthu.
They are losing with their full squad, minus ak47 recently.

On the roxs 3 game skid: Portland loss: Tmac/Yao DNP
Warriors loss: Mutombo DNP(yes that matters)
Jizz 3pt loss: Luther head(who is cold blooded from the 3)DNP
http://www.nba.com/statistics/player...-1&sortOrder=4

Jizz 4 game slide: Warriors loss/Seattle loss: AK47 out
Portland/SAC: NO DNPs of significance

They lost a 22 pt lead to lose to the sonics in the 4th Q. They(seattle supercolonics) tried to do that with the Roxs and we beat them down. Their center Collison had a gang tackle on Yao Ming that would have made Mario Williams proud.
http://china.nba.com/200704houvideo/82575.html

Watch what happens to Portland when we play them on Wed. without any significant DNPs.

They took Dallas to 7 games 2 yrs ago, nobody expected that series to go more than 5 games. So, this yr nobody expects much and they will deliver in the postseason. How far, who knows. But the Jizz, not worried about them.

Last edited by And1; 04-10-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #45
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1
But the Jizz, not worried about them.[/COLOR]
jizz.....i've got the sense of humor of an 8th grader, and yet somehow i've missed this one.

the nba is gonna have a rocket-jizz series.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #46
And1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
jizz.....i've got the sense of humor of an 8th grader, and yet somehow i've missed this one.

the nba is gonna have a rocket-jizz series.

I just started calling them this recently. But I know I did not coin it.

Control F: Jizz here:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3D10%26hl%3Den
Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #47
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
I know this technically doesn't matter but...

I thought the official seeding rules said that the three division winners all get top four seeds, regardless of record. Of course, this wouldn't help Utah right now because Houston's better record still takes home court. But I thought we'd see a "4" next to Utah and "5" next to Houston either way.

But now the NBA website lists Houston as the official #4 seed. Am I missing something?
i just looked at the nba site and it shows houston in the 5 spot.

incidentally....I like the nba's seeding system, but I think the nba should give the higher seeded team the home court in at least the first round. A team wins its divisiion--it gets home court. A team can't finish in the top two of its division--it's going on the road. voila, divisions mean something.

cheers
Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #48
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:

incidentally....I like the nba's seeding system, but I think the nba should give the higher seeded team the home court in at least the first round. A team wins its divisiion--it gets home court. A team can't finish in the top two of its division--it's going on the road. voila, divisions mean something.

cheers
The seeding isn't as important as who won more games. Teams play enough games against teams from other divisions in their conference as to where what division you are in isn't as important...as far as saying team X played in the Pacific and had it rougher. This isn't true for conference play though. Whoever has the best record should always have homecourt.

I think this will be a good series as both teams are strong in the weak areas of the other team. They have us beat at the PG and PF spots, which will make it difficult, but they don't really have that one person to give the ball to in crunch time when things break down....that stabilizer to go to when you just need a bucket.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #49
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess they fired that intern then.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #50
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki
Whoever has the best record should always have homecourt.
....i disagree, obviously.

cheers
Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #51
alexamenos
Diamond Member

what's up with bonzi??? Sounds like the dude is pulling a Leon Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2831367

------------------

SEATTLE -- Bonzi Wells' trying first season with the Houston Rockets took a strange turn on Monday night when the veteran guard didn't join his team for their game against the Seattle SuperSonics, a 95-90 victory.

Wells was not with the team during their walkthrough on Monday morning and wasn't in the arena before the game, coach Jeff Van Gundy said. Wells left a voice message for Rockets' athletic trainer Keith Jones saying he felt he was disrupting the chemistry of the team, and Van Gundy was unable to get in touch with Wells.

"He's not here tonight. I don't know where he's at. I haven't talked to him," Van Gundy said. "I want to make sure he's safe first."

On the message, Wells told Jones he was fine and intended on staying in his room. That was before the Rockets' walkthrough and Jones had not spoken with him since.

"Once I know he's all right, then we'll take whatever the next step is," Van Gundy said. "We want to make sure he's all right first."

Old 04-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #52
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

whichever team is healthier will win the series.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #53
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
....i disagree, obviously.

cheers
So what if the Division sucks donkey-balls? The team that wins that division should be rewarded with homecourt over say, the team playing in the Division with arguably the two best teams in basketball (Dallas and SA)?

I don't know what the hell is wrong with Bonzi. I usually think JVG is a stubborn ass but I am 100% behind him this time. he has given Wells chance after chance after chance.......
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #54
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki
So what if the Division sucks donkey-balls? The team that wins that division should be rewarded with homecourt over say, the team playing in the Division with arguably the two best teams in basketball (Dallas and SA)?
yeah...and recall that last year that the Grizz had the 4th best record in the West -- I'm not just picking on the rockets here.

the point is that if the NBA is going to have 3 divisions in each conference (which it does), winning the division ought to count for something. Giving a division winner the 4th seed means nothing if that team doesn't get HCA over the 5th seed...ie, what's the difference for Utah if they're seeded 4th or 5th if the Rockets have HCA in the first round? There is no difference...none, nada, zilch.

So are the Rockets getting screwed by having a better record over the Jazz but no HCA in the first round? Yeah, but only if we agree that winning a division doesn't mean anything. If the winning the division means something I think it's fair to say that teams that place no higher than 3rd in their division should just be grateful to be in the tourney.

incidentally...I think the NBA would be wise to make schedules a little more division oriented -- say 6 games against each of the division foes. I think it'd go a long way in increasing the intensity of the regular season (by building rivaliries).
Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #55
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I guess they fired that intern then.
Stupid intern is back.

Now they're saying not only Houston is #4, but they're also saying Cleveland is #3 in the East.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #56
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Rockets will have the home court if they have the better record. Nothing has changed along these lines.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #57
And1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
The Rockets will have the home court.

Plus one.

Roxs have HCA.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #58
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

If T-mac doesn't win this first round series, then he never will.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #59
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

Quote:
Sweet Moses's Ghost that would be delicious
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:13 AM   #60
And1

Quote:

it takes 5, are you a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Gotta admit that was prime, And1. Nice work.

But yeah, the pressure's on, Tracy! You got HCA, an opponent that's backsliding in and an All-Star sidekick who's coming back into form. The set is prepped, the lights are on and the camera is rolling. Show us something, Trace-man.

thanks..and yes tmac has perform and help the roxs win this series, from there..who knows.

Last edited by And1; 04-18-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 AM   #61
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta admit that was prime, And1. Nice work.

But yeah, the pressure's on, Tracy! You got HCA, an opponent that's backsliding in and an All-Star sidekick who's coming back into form. The set is prepped, the lights are on and the camera is rolling. Show us something, Trace-man.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:43 AM   #62
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Has T-Mac already started talking about how great it is to win a series? Or is he going to save that gem for midway through the series?
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:52 AM   #63
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

For all the talk about TMac never getting out of the first round, it remains true that this is the first time his team has had the home court in the first round. He is finally in position to get out of the first round...and I fully expect that he will.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #64
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
For all the talk about TMac never getting out of the first round, it remains true that this is the first time his team has had the home court in the first round. He is finally in position to get out of the first round...and I fully expect that he will.
And this is why I said if he doesn't do it now, he never will. It's all but being handed to him right now.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #65
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are overlooking the Jazz in this series. They are very balanced, athletic
and create huge match up problems for the Rockets. I don't see who on the Rockets
can keep the Jazz guard Deron W. in check, The very quick front line of the Jazz will
cause all kinds of problems for the Rockets. The Jazz are a very physical team and
Sloan will out coach Van Gumby.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #66
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Somehow I think Utah is gonna win the series. Call it a hunch or whatever.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #67
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I'll pushing Houston because they got good guys. The peoples in Utah are just dirty (Sloan) or shady (Booze).

Plus, it'll make for a more interesting 2nd-round match-up.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #68
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Houston will win this series. If they don't I will change my avatar to a girl ballerina in a pink tu-tu (after the Mavs season is over and only for a month).

But I'm confident you won't be seeing any tu-tu's.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #69
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Golden State, Houston, San Antonio, Pistons.

Book it.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #70
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Book it.
????

I assume Pistons was meant to be Phoenix and you are predicting the 1st round wins?

So you don't have faith in the Mavericks?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #71
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
[We will play] Golden State, Houston, San Antonio, Pistons.

Book it.
I thnk is what he meant.

Last edited by Windmill360; 04-17-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #72
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

OH... thanks Windmill.

I thought his negativity was coming out prematurely again.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-17-2007 at 02:24 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #73
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
OH... thanks Windmill.

I thought his negativity was coming out prematurely again.

Come on u2....I have faith in Avery.

Dave Tippet however, gives me cancer when I watch his team play.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #74
paintingshade

paintingshade is on a distinguished road

I really hope we get a rematch in the second round. I do believe that the mavs will probably win but I just wanna watch a series as exciting as the 04-05 one (minus that hicup at the end)
paintingshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #75
And1

Quote:

Book it.
I hope GS wins tonight b/c Nellie vs. Avery ie gsws vs mavs will be very exciting.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #76
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Good game so far, who are you guys rooting for? Who would be the harder matchup for us?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 04-21-2007 at 09:19 PM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #77
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

Utah looks really strong right now.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #78
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

Deron Williams may very well get his first career triple double in this game.

8 Points, 6 Assists, 8 Boards at half.

Last edited by some-dude; 04-21-2007 at 09:49 PM.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #79
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Go Jazz.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #80
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

i like mcgrady but he gagged in the first half...

If derek fisher keeps playing the way he is right now, houston doesn't have a chance in this series.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote