Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
juckie

juckie will become famous soon enoughjuckie will become famous soon enough
Default why do our centers never ever post up?

i mean absolutely no offense from damp or diop at all,and lately teams just drive to the basket like there is nobody there.i will give damp ansd diop some props on the late blocks which were crucial but the rebounds and offense are nill.if we had a lethal center this team would never ever lose.
juckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Because they are instructed to never floor the basketball.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
juckie

i understand that and the fact that we play to our strengths which is jumpshots and it works,just once in a while i would love to see damp take it to the rim.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I like them getting garbage points and tap outs.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Mavzy45

Mavzy45 will become famous soon enoughMavzy45 will become famous soon enough

Damp has the size to post up, but not the hands or the reflexes. He drops or fumbles way too many passes, it's almost as though he can't anticipate the pass well enough. What drives me bonkers is that every once in a while he is able to catch and finish, just not with any consistency. That being said, I still think he's having a pretty good year for the Mavs.

Mavzy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckie
i understand that and the fact that we play to our strengths which is jumpshots and it works,just once in a while i would love to see damp take it to the rim.
Once in a while damp does take it to the rim. He shoots 63%. He's doing about right. It would be wonderful to have him able to hit a 12footer or have a postup, but having him catch and finish is good as well.

Now diop is another story, he's a horrible finisher.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-04-2007 at 09:34 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Diop gives me cancer when he tries to post up
Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

They have no post up game at all. I believe our best post up player maybe Stackhouse.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Once in a while damp does take it to the rim. He shoots 63%. He's doing about right. It would be wonderful to have him able to hit a 12footer or have a postup, but having him catch and finish is good as well.

Now diop is another story, he's a horrible finisher.
Diop has improved dramatically when it comes to finishing. Popeye has been a huge help!
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
juckie

i wonder what kind of presence Willis will provide
Old 04-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #11
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

what scares me about the lack of any inside scoring from our bigs is that, while avery and co. preach a lot about going to the rim, when the mavs get down, it seems like the go away from the rim, and settle for jumpshots. maybe i'm crazy.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

^^^Especially Stackhouse and Howard. They both fall in love with that jumper and when it comes to the 3rd quarter of games when that jumper is cold then they try to get out of that slump and it ends ugly.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

lets see...

1. they cant catch the ball.
2. they cant dribble the ball.
3. they have terrible hands.
4. they have no go-to-move.
5a. they arent quick.
5b. they arent overpowering.
6. they cant really pass out of the post well.
7. again. they can't catch the ball.
------
8. avery tells them not to.
9. we want them to rebound / and if they are 1 foot from the basket..dunk it.
10. block shots.

but wtf? we do more than taking jumpshots? devin/josh/jet/dirk/stack all attack the basket.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
lets see...

1. they cant catch the ball.
2. they cant dribble the ball.
3. they have terrible hands.
4. they have no go-to-move.
5a. they arent quick.
5b. they arent overpowering.
6. they cant really pass out of the post well.
7. again. they can't catch the ball.
------
8. avery tells them not to.
9. we want them to rebound / and if they are 1 foot from the basket..dunk it.
10. block shots.
Swish
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Mavzy45 and mkat both hit the nail on the head. This is why we do not want to face a team like the Heat and the same way but our bench is much better than the Spurs. The way to try to beat us is what Miami did to us and make us a stand still jump shooting team and clog the middle on us and say no to all dunks and layups. I knew we had probs with a sensational outside/inside mobile shooter, jumper and great all around player. The likes of Wade, Kobe, Lebron, but i never thought Wade could beat 5 players and i knew we would have a hard time inside on Shaq and Mourning.

Riley just made them stand still in the paint and if Wade could have missed a few shots we could have won. You both are so right but we got a faster and younger Buckner for those type players out front and we lost a good but older Griffin. George is a long lanky player that is not scarred and will fight to win. Van Horn would run off. Croshere will help us in a slow downed physical playoff game also. We are better than last year but the only thing that scares me if a team makes us stand still and start bombing like Finley with no movement. So you are right, if we could involve Damp and Diop any it would make us almost unbeatable because all of our outside then opens. Riley and Pop know this and even the coach from Chicago.

Remember we have sucked for so many years at center and we wanted a defensive center and we have two good ones. Damp does have fumble fingers at times and he shoots a very high % but he shoots very little.

I have seen at times and this was talked about in the Yahoo forum last year many times and people begged Avery to try anything for any offense inside with our two bigs but i have seen Damp set a screen up high for Dirk and Terry, then cut fast and run to the basket. Tim Duncan does this so much. I have seen Dirk, Terry and even Harris hit him with a great pass and dunk. Very easy basket. Dirk is a much better passer this year. Now Amare, Duncan, Shaq, Mourning, Z, and so many other big power forwards and centers must respect Damp next time down and now Dirk and Terry are outside wide open.

I agree with Avery, defense is most important but in a tight playoff game, any dunks and layups are a major plus and any baskets in the paint by your big men. If we are smart, we will have something up our sleeve with Dampier at playoff time. Even if he fumbles the pass some, we need to try to get him some baskets early, where teams won't just try to stop Dirk, Terry and Howard and leave the others open.

Our combinned centers have had a good year but i am with you on wishing we could go down low and get a basket or run some plays for them and especially Damp to open our game and players up more.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #16
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Remember Damp averaged like 15 pts tht 1 year. i know it was his contract year, but so what. The reason they dont get points is that they are only asked to do certain jobs and scoring on set plays is not one of them. I believe Damp can be effective down low, but we dont go to him. One because there isnt tht many possessions to go around and two because it would slow the game down a lot and make the other players in effective.

Over all i think Damp and Diop do a good job at doing what they are supposed to and never get enough credit

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 04-04-2007 at 04:20 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #17
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I agree Axdem0, they might not because of slowing the game down some and because we have so many good offensive players. On the other end, i have seen Damp and Diop stop many layups this year. I just wish we could throw some pick and roll plays for them, slipping to the basket with dunks. I feel like you on just throwing the ball down low to him and say do something. He is not a create player and it would slow the game down.

One good thing, we use to have to shoot around 50% to win (Fin, Nash, Dirk) or we would lose. We shot about 35% against the Bucks and Avery said this was one great win. Why? This is Spurs basketball, you shoot terrible and win and you shoot good and win. This is because of defense and Diop and Damp are big parts of this.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote