Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Read an 11 book series earlier this year.. each book about 600-800 pages. It was the largest undertaking that I've been able to complete....trying to remember the author, .. Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth series...

The first 4-6 books or so were as good as anything that I've ever read. But, as the series got into the later stages, he basically got so repetitive that it was hard to fight through at times. By repetitive, I mean that the characters would go through virtually the exact same struggle that they went through in an earlier book... and Goodkind would re-set the story over and over again. No one jumps into an 11 book series at book 8. You don't have to tell us 20 times what's happened already.

Another thing that bothered me was how much he pushed his beliefs on the reader. It was the oddest thing.. through the first few books, you would think that the guy was Christian. No, he wasn't pushing that or anything, but the story repeatedly mentioned an afterlife.. and underworld that was similar to hell... Well, as the series went on, Goodkind eventually started beating into our heads that religion is for fulls and there is no such thing as an afterlife... It was truly weird considering how his characters were beating home that fact while he had used an aspect of the afterlife repeatedly throughout his novels... So, once you're gone, you're gone? That was one of his messages.. But, one character in the book was raised from the dead or released from death (in the underworld) at least a couple of times...

It was just weird. He never tied that together. It's like he changed faiths at about book 5-6 or so and decided that he'd just gloss over that one aspect of his novels to beat home that there is no afterlife... How in the hell do you speak to the dead when there is no afterlife? They spoke to the dead repeatedly...

Anyways, just had to get that off of my chest. It was a brilliant series that went horribly wrong.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #42
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody into WoT, by Robert Jordan?

I agree abot Goodkind, I feel like he and Jordan started at the same time and place, and Jordan sayed true to his series, Goodkind went CRAZY!!

Last edited by rmacomic; 09-22-2008 at 11:02 PM.
rmacomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #43
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I got some Jordan stuff for Christmas.. I read the Goodkind series first..then went on to another series.. then started taking some classes along with work so haven't had much time for reading.. I'll hit up Jordan probably in December.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #44
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
Anybody into WoT, by Robert Jordan?
I've read books 1-4.....but they're always so freaking thick. I have books 5-6..waiting to get back into it...but I have a good amount of books in my queue.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #45
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

I finally finished Children of Dune (book 3) during Christmas time. I feel that it gets progressively worse . I am not the fan of all the politicking.

I currently just finished Hyperion and am starting the Fall of Hyperion. I am enjoying it so far.

edit: Has anyone read Watchmen? I read it over the summer and I did not tihnk it was that great. It was more about the superhero psyche than cool powers. That is not what I expect out of a graphic novel / comic book.

Last edited by nikeball; 02-18-2009 at 11:02 AM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #46
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

nike - you should watch the SciFi channel version of Dune. Don't watch the theater version that was released in the 80's.... that was pathetic. SciFi then did the last 2 parts of the original trilogy in one called Children of Dune. It wasn't as well made. So maybe they agreed with you.

I just finished reading Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's book 1 of a 3 part story. It was interesting. Book 2 isn't out until August or September.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 02-18-2009 at 11:04 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #47
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
Has anyone read Watchmen? I read it over the summer and I did not tihnk it was that great. It was more about the superhero psyche than cool powers. That is not what I expect out of a graphic novel / comic book.
Grow up 10 more years and read it again (that's what I did and it made more sense the second time around...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-18-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #48
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Based on your recommendation, I'll try it out.
So - how it's going?

If you want some .pdf to get an impression - I might be able to do something about that.

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #49
Murphy3
Guru

Actually, I just made the order... However, I'm currently reading some Robert Jordan.. It might be a couple of months before I get to it.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #50
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I once read "American Psycho" and - dumb ass - borrowed it to my girl. Now that she´s gone, the book is down the drain, too.

But it´s a good book-i recommend it.