Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-31-2009, 12:02 AM   #321
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we need a hoops press conference in this town...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #322
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the hold up ...

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 AM   #323
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they are gonna wait until the end of the year and just do a big one while were holding up the lombardi trophy

Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #324
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Maybe they are gonna wait until the end of the year and just do a big one while were holding up the lombardi trophy
That would be the Chargers
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:22 AM   #325
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
That would be the Chargers
Yeah that would be me excited too!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #326
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Drew Gooden will be wearing #90 this season.

He "twatted" (what?) this earlier on his page...

Quote:
I have to wear the #90 this season! My Mom said so. True story!! She's been following me on Twitter! Lol! Sorry.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 AM   #327
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah that would be me excited too!
Charger fan? I obviously said that because you called it the Lombardi trophy

Last edited by mavs777; 07-31-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:21 AM   #328
xavier

xavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the rough

I pray he only backs up Dirk cause we have no chance of competing in the west with gooden as our center!
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:03 AM   #329
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier View Post
I pray he only backs up Dirk cause we have no chance of competing in the west with gooden as our center!
Sorry to break it to ya...

"They want me to play center, and I'm fit for that. I started last season in Chicago at center. I'm comfortable playing the center position, and I think it will work to my advantage. It's the best situation for me." -Gooden

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.437a4b2.html

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 AM   #330
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I'm starting to wonder if the MBT doesn't just pay the $1mil on Buck's buyout and our team is set as is.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 07-31-2009 at 04:09 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:21 AM   #331
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
I'm starting to wonder if the MBT doesn't just pay the $1mil on Buck's buyout and our team is set as is.
Well I'd be OK with that if they kept Hollins. I still can't believe they would let him go if they don't get another reserve 5.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 AM   #332
NYMAVGUY

NYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura aboutNYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura about

why the hell do we think this is not better than Gortat?? Gortat is not that guy. I like the Gooden deal.
NYMAVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 AM   #333
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

We could have done a lot worse then Gooden. I think we have increased the strength of our bench this year and would put our bench against any in the league. I may be in the minority here but I feel even if we have to use Damp/Gooden at the five we can still make a run at the title.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #334
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
We could have done a lot worse then Gooden. I think we have increased the strength of our bench this year and would put our bench against any in the league. I may be in the minority here but I feel even if we have to use Damp/Gooden at the five we can still make a run at the title.
We made a run at the title using Damp/Diop at the five. We can certainly do so with Damp/Gooden.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #335
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
We made a run at the title using Damp/Diop at the five. We can certainly do so with Damp/Gooden.
I think Diop was playing some excellent defense, with a tad bit of offense. Gooden will play some offense (hopefully excellent) with a tad bit of defense.

It'll be a different dynamic. Hopefully it works out.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #336
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Is Gooden a Duncan-stopper? Diop was...

(well, as close to one as you can get...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-31-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #337
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

It's four years later... I'm not so sure that we "need" a Duncan-stopper anymore.

I'd rather have a Parker-stopper. Hopefully Ross and Boobie can work all year on their Parker-stoppage.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #338
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

Duncans knees/health are a Duncan stopper. I agree with fluid, we don't really need a Duncan stopper, just a Parker slower downer guy.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #339
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Duncans knees/health are a Duncan stopper. I agree with fluid, we don't really need a Duncan stopper, just a Parker slower downer guy.
Well, when you read about Parker twisting his ankle in France, you gotta think maybe Parker is our Parker "slower downer" guy (the same way Duncan's knees are a Duncan stopper...)

Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #340
SMC0007
Guru

I forgot about that, too bad he didn't die from it.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #341
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Duncan-stopper? Dampier has always shouldered the defensive burden against Duncan. Diop played a couple of minutes of good defense in game six after damp had fouled out. I'll give him all the credit in the world for those couple of minutes, but please don't make Diop out to be anything more than what he was.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #342
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, when you read about Parker twisting his ankle in France, you gotta think maybe Parker is our Parker "slower downer" guy (the same way Duncan's knees are a Duncan stopper...)

That's not objective analysis. You're supposed to constantly kiss the ass of the entire Spurs organization and label anyone who doesn't a "homer". That will put you on a superior intellectual level.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #343
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Duncan-stopper? Dampier has always shouldered the defensive burden against Duncan. Diop played a couple of minutes of good defense in game six after damp had fouled out. I'll give him all the credit in the world for those couple of minutes, but please don't make Diop out to be anything more than what he was.

A couple of minutes? It should be well known that Diop played Duncan very well and did at least his fair share on guarding him.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #344
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Somebody correct me if my memory fails me, but it was Diop who had that terrific overtime in Game 7 against Duncan, right? Not Damp?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #345
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

My recollection of that game was that diop came in, in overtime after dampier had beat on duncan all game. Duncan also was whupped. He was spent wrestling with dampier. I thought diop got way too much credit for that game.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #346
Underdog

Bruce Bowen doesn't think Gooden can play center either...

(ignore the Comments section - those people make some of our dumbest posters around here look downright brilliant by comparison!)

Last edited by Underdog; 08-01-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #347
SMC0007
Guru

Hey bro, Thx for posting that Bra.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #348
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that question to Bowen was phrased appropriately. It made it sound like the Mavs are going to regularly throw Gooden out there against Dwight Howard, Shaq, and the like.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #349
mavs777
Diamond Member

Again i like the addition, I still think we need a upgrade at center to be up there with L.A but I like our chances against everyone else in the west, the team looks very deep at this point
Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #350
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares what that pile of trash says honestly? He's washed up and would have been out of the league years ago had it not been for his uncanny ability to get away with things that would get most players suspended from the league.

He may be right, but I dont give a crap what he thinks.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #351
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Offensively, Gooden at center will make us tough to stop. You're talking Kidd, Howard, Marion, Dirk, Gooden (if he starts). You get three pointers from Kidd, Howard, Dirk and occasionally Marion. Finally some closer-to-the-basket scoring from Gooden and Marion. Midrange from Howard and Dirk, sometimes Gooden/Marion. Pretty sick if you ask me.

Now defense at the 4/5 is another story...

Old 08-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #352
tomly

tomly will become famous soon enough

would we be able to trade Buck and others for Boozer and then trade Boozer for chandler? Why not , why it would or wouldnt work?
tomly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #353
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomly View Post
would we be able to trade Buck and others for Boozer and then trade Boozer for chandler? Why not , why it would or wouldnt work?
It wouldn't work because Utah said it wants talent in exchange for Boozer, not just cap relief.

BEAT LA

Last edited by badfish22; 08-01-2009 at 04:43 PM.
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #354
andrew76110

andrew76110 is on a distinguished road

I hope Drew will be able to make an impact inside this year, with Damp aging and the loss of Bass we need to get some more presence down in the paint!
Just hope he sports a new hairstyle...

http://callitmilehigh.files.wordpres...7/00020ecf.jpg

Last edited by mary; 08-08-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: remove spam
andrew76110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #355
tomly

tomly will become famous soon enough

I heard that but might they change their minds mid Sept,especially if they must pay tax. Charlotte mentioned chandler playing pf seemed strange to me ,so got me thinking.
tomly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #356
sportsfreak475

sportsfreak475 is on a distinguished road

Ahh Dude. Warrick would've been so much better for Dallas.
sportsfreak475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #357
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Gooden Plenty: The Sleight-Of-Hand Benefits Of The Mavs' Tricky Contract
By David Lord -- DB.com

My thoughts -- quick-and-random, dollars-and-sense and nuts-and-bolts -- on Dallas’ crafty one-year deal with Drew Gooden, which is a now-you-see-it-as-$4.5-mil/now-you-don’t-because-it’s-really-just-$1.8-mil bit of front-office sleight-of-hand:

*I've been somewhat critical of Donnie and Dallas' front office due to what I viewed as something less than maximized use of resources. But if we've got our facts straight on this one, Gooden's contract is validation (vindication?) of the creativity of Nelson, Cuban, Grant and the rest.

*Gooden's contract is for $4.5M … but he only gets paid the full amount if he's not waived.

*If he's waived before Jan. 10, he gets to keep everything he's already earned (prorated to that point) with there being a minimum of $1.9M

*After Jan 10, the contract becomes 100% guaranteed for the full $4.5M amount under general NBA rules

*The earliest he can be traded under general NBA rules is Dec 15

*If he's traded, he gets a bonus of $225,000 which: a) can be paid by either team, b) cannot be used by the old team for trade matching in the trade, c) will increase his cap charge to the new team, and d) may be waived by Gooden if necessary for trade-matching purposes. (But given the size of the bonus and the fact that he's likely to be traded merely for the purpose of getting released after being traded, I can't see Gooden waiving the trade bonus)

*A team can get him in trade and waive him and will end up with a cap/tax hit of $2.125M rather than the amount they traded away, which can be as high as $5.725M ... As a result, Gooden's contract between Dec 15 and Jan 10 will be similar to Buckner's, in that it can instantly erase up to $3.6M in salary. (By comparison, Buck's can currently instantly erase about $4M from a team's 2009-10 cap/tax numbers)

If my quick math is correct....

*The contract is cleverly written so that Gooden's per-day rate on the guaranteed amount takes him until around Jan 6 ... as a result, during the trade window beginning Dec 15 and ending Jan 6, the cap/tax hit for the team getting him in trade (if they waived him) would not change from the $2.125M figure ...between Jan 6 and Jan 10 it would go up by about $26,470 per day

*A team that gets him and waives him would have to actually pay very little of his $1.9M salary guarantee ... on Dec 15 he'll only be owed about $576,000 if he's waived that day, and the outstanding amount of guaranteed pay declines by about $26,470 per day

*Gooden's contract can be combined with other contracts as needed

*A deal using Gooden's contract doesn't solve the Mavs' roster crunch because the Mavs have to cut down to 15 players by opening day in late Oct ...One possible scenario, if the Mavs don't find a preseason use for Buck's deal they like: the Mavs could cut to 15 by waiving Buck, with the ability to come back and re-address the trade front using Gooden in December

*If he's traded-and-waived, Gooden can then sign with any team for whatever he can negotiate including Dallas, but the Mavs won't be able to sign him for 30 days if they want him to come back ...on such a signing the Mavs would be limited to offering him the balance of their MLE, their BAE, or the minimum salary, all of will be prorated to partial season amounts by the time they can bid on him ... The point being, the Mavs will be at quite a competitive disadvantage monetarily in a later signing, so if the Mavs like what he's doing on the court, they'd be very unlikely to get him back via a sign-waive-and-return boomerang

In summary: When the Mavs acquired Greg Buckner, they did so with only his value as a trade chip in mind (not really needing his services as a player). If you consider that a coup, the acquisition of Drew Gooden is a multi-faceted coup, a triple-whammy: They got a player they need, they got him cheap, and they can eventually get Buck Shot-like value of out him if and when a trade is wise.

There you have it, for now. Quick-and-random, dollars-and-sense, nuts-and-bolts … and sleight-of-hand.
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1928
Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #358
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

FYI this is being discussed in the Offseason thread. I don't think anyone had posted that article yet though.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote