Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-29-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Regarding Wood: i mean like almost the entire league was wrong about him.

Also the Pistons were high on Stewart, means they always like 16 much more than 18...so its not that easy
Wood was an unrestricted free agent. If we sold him on the Mavs and the Pistons wanted to ensure they got assets in return, they would have to play ball and take #18 in exchange.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Wood was an unrestricted free agent. If we sold him on the Mavs and the Pistons wanted to ensure they got assets in return, they would have to play ball and take #18 in exchange.
Yeah I'm kind of confused because that was what I recalled as well.

Him being a UFA this past off season

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-29-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even in that case, Rockets were also high on him and had the better pick
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even in that case, Rockets were also high on him and had the better pick

Them having the better pick is irrelevant. We didn't have to convince the Pistons, we had to convince Christian Wood.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Them having the better pick is irrelevant. We didn't have to convince the Pistons, we had to convince Christian Wood.
Exactly. And Stewart would’ve been there at 18. OKC taking Poku at 17 was the worst kept secret in the league.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:48 PM   #6
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First, "just" to convince Wood to pick us over the Rockets. Rockets had a more sucessul past season with a MVP type player longterm under contract. They also didnt have someone like KP under contract with Wood maybe thinking "Yeah if our pairing doesnt work out im the one off the bench". So i totally see why Wood would pick Houston over us last offseason.

And yes, you had to convince the Pistons too, specially when they had the offer for #16 too. And they had some leverage against Wood too. Wood didnt want to sign with a trash team that had cap space, he wanted to play for a good team and for that a S&T was necessary. So all they had to tell him was "Hey, you want the S&T, so work with us...we prefer Houston...we can also just decline the S&T and let you sign with a shitty team"

So yeah...at the end, even IF we were after Wood i see how Wood likes Houston much more and the Pistons liked it of course also more.

Last edited by sefant77; 03-29-2021 at 08:49 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
First, "just" to convince Wood to pick us over the Rockets. Rockets had a more sucessul past season with a MVP type player longterm under contract. They also didnt have someone like KP under contract with Wood maybe thinking "Yeah if our pairing doesnt work out im the one off the bench". So i totally see why Wood would pick Houston over us last offseason.

And yes, you had to convince the Pistons too, specially when they had the offer for #16 too. And they had some leverage against Wood too. Wood didnt want to sign with a trash team that had cap space, he wanted to play for a good team and for that a S&T was necessary. So all they had to tell him was "Hey, you want the S&T, so work with us...we prefer Houston...we can also just decline the S&T and let you sign with a shitty team"

So yeah...at the end, even IF we were after Wood i see how Wood likes Houston much more and the Pistons liked it of course also more.
That's all speculative because I never read any reports where the Mavs even tried to get him

I mean to not even try would be something that concerns me about the scouting dept.

Seems like they put more resources into scouting Delon Wright of all players.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-30-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1) It's pretty hard to get a guy talked into choosing you and rejecting others. Good agents simply won't allow that and I'm not sure why a guy like Wood would go out and reject guaranteed money while spoiling his future with other teams just so he might have ended up with us. Would he say yes to the Mavs? Absolutely, but he would have also had to say no to the Rockets and potentially 3-4 other teams. For a guy trying to get his first deal after his rookie contract, he'd be stupid to go out and say that he wouldn't play for any team.

2) We couldn't talk to him without the Pistons' permission until FA season opened and once free agency opened, he was snapped up within an hour. We would have not only have had to do the impossible, but we'd also have had to do it fast.

3) I'm not sure he even was a high priority. I'm surprised so many fans here wanted him so bad. If you listen to Mavs fans, you'd think we had a shortage of starters at three different positions. I'm not sure why the Mavs would offer their entire cap to a guy that plays the position of our max player when we need a starting SG, SF, and PF that offseason.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-29-2021 at 05:51 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:10 PM   #9
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
1) It's pretty hard to get a guy talked into choosing you and rejecting others. Good agents simply won't allow that and I'm not sure why a guy like Wood would go out and reject guaranteed money while spoiling his future with other teams just so he might have ended up with us. Would he say yes to the Mavs? Absolutely, but he would have also had to say no to the Rockets and potentially 3-4 other teams. For a guy trying to get his first deal after his rookie contract, he'd be stupid to go out and say that he wouldn't play for any team.

2) We couldn't talk to him without the Pistons' permission until FA season opened and once free agency opened, he was snapped up within an hour. We would have not only have had to do the impossible, but we'd also have had to do it fast.

3) I'm not sure he even was a high priority. I'm surprised so many fans here wanted him so bad. If you listen to Mavs fans, you'd think we had a shortage of starters at three different positions. I'm not sure why the Mavs would offer their entire cap to a guy that plays the position of our max player when we need a starting SG, SF, and PF that offseason.
Are the Mavs the only non-“tampering” team? You don’t really believe that no discussions are had about players until literally the moment FA opens? Teams have openly tampered and not been punished for it. And Wood is a PF who can play Center. He is equal to Powell as a rim roller only longer and more athletic, a better defender and a guy that can space the floor as a 3 point shooter. He is also only making nominally more than Powell. He’s good enough to carry an offense on a night like Saturday when KP and Luka both sit. And also young and good enough to headline a deal for a player like Beal if you want to go that route. That’s what the fuss is about. I like Josh Green more than almost anyone else on this board I reckon and I would’ve done #18+ 10 times out 10 for Wood. Assuming of course that he would want to be here. But the clusterf**k in Houston was already happening when they signed him. If they couldn’t sell him and his agent on Dallas over that mess then that’s a problem.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:40 PM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

I'm not sure anyone here wanted him so bad. I was was on him way early and then maybe 2 or 3 others as well. I didn't read anyone on Twitter wanting him either.

Again, you get talent when you can over fit IMO, especially if you can buy in low early. If it doesn't fit, then flip them for what you think is a better fit. Now basically the same guy in Collins is going to cost max money if he would even want to come here. We pushed basically the same player down the road over a year and will potentially pay double.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-29-2021 at 07:41 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote