Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future
Default Kearns, Felipe Lopez Traded in an 8 Player Deal

Reds get Majewski in eight-player deal with Washington

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
July 13, 2006

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Worried their rickety bullpen was dragging them out of playoff contention, the Cincinnati Reds swung an eight-player trade with Washington on Thursday, getting relievers Gary Majewski and Bill Bray but giving up two everyday players.

The Reds gave up right fielder Austin Kearns and shortstop Felipe Lopez, hoping to shore up one of the majors' worst bullpens.

"We paid a steep price," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "I'm sure this will be a controversial trade. I know a lot of people will be leaving nasty messages on my voicemail, and I'll have some who think it's great."

Besides the with right-handed Majewski and lefty Bray, the Reds acquired shortstop Royce Clayton, infielder Brendan Harris and pitching prospect Daryl Thompson. The 36-year-old Clayton, will take over at shortstop for Lopez, who made his first All-Star team last year.

Cincinnati returned from the All-Star break trailing St. Louis by four games in the NL Central. The Reds are also in the middle of the wild-card race.

The Reds also gave up reliever Ryan Wagner, a first-round draft pick in 2003. Nationals general manager Jim Bowden acquired all three players when he ran the Reds.

"Philosophically, we believe that when you have a chance to trade a middle reliever for an everyday player, that's helpful," Bowden said. "Over the long run, if you look at a player for the next five to seven years, pitchers are more of a risk to injuries than everyday players."

Outgoing Nationals president Tony Tavares, incoming president Stan Kasten and the new ownership group approved the deal.

Bowden didn't rule out more moves by the Nationals, who are in last place in the NL East.

"Do these deals turn this team around? Of course not," Bowden said. "But it heads us in the right direction."

The deal also signals a new day in Cincinnati, which has traded away players for prospects and moved cautiously since Bowden was fired during the 2003 season. New owner Bob Castellini took over in January and promised to be aggressive.

The Reds have had five consecutive losing seasons, their deepest slump in 50 years. Piece by piece, Krivsky has overhauled the roster since being hired in February.

Most of the moves have worked. The Reds took over first place in the NL Central on May 8, making them one of the league's biggest surprises.

A 1-8 slide before the All-Star break left them foundering at 45-44, and underscored the need to do something about the bullpen.

A week ago, the Reds sent a minor leaguer to Seattle for Eddie Guardado, a former All-Star closer who moves back into the role in Cincinnati. Krivsky and Bowden first discussed their deal last Friday, and it quickly grew into the eight-player package.

"I personally love it," Reds utility player Ryan Freel said. "I'm not knocking Kearns and Lopez, but we all knew that most of the problem has been with the bullpen."

Kearns, one of the team's building blocks during Bowden's 11-year run in Cincinnati, was soaking in a whirlpool Thursday when he got called into the manager's office for a private meeting.

"These guys, since the first day they were here, they're not afraid to make a move," Kearns said. "So we'll see how it works.

"I'm not surprised something was done because things are going in the right direction here."

The 26-year-old Majewski was 3-2 with a 3.58 ERA in 46 games. He led the Nationals with 79 appearances last season and had a 2.93 ERA.

The 23-year-old Bray was the 13th overall pick in the June 2004 draft and was considered one of the Nationals' top pitching prospects. He was 1-1 with a 3.91 ERA in 19 relief appearances this season, his first in the majors.

"As far as the bullpen goes, these guys aren't just for now," Krivsky said. "They're for the future as well."

To get them, the Reds had to give up a pair of 26-year-old regulars.

Kearns was hitting .274 with 16 homers and 50 RBIs. He became a fixture in right field after Krivsky traded outfielder Wily Mo Pena to Boston in March for starter Bronson Arroyo, who represented the Reds in the All-Star game.

Lopez is hitting .268 with nine homers and 30 RBIs, but has occasionally failed to make the routine play. The Reds are second-to-last in the NL in fielding.

"In order to win, we've got to make the routine play every time," manager Jerry Narron said.

Majewski, Clayton and Bray are expected to join the Reds on Friday before the second game of their series against Colorado. The Reds called up outfielder Chris Denorfia and infielder William Bergolla from Triple-A Louisville to fill the vacant roster spots on Thursday. Denorfia will get a chance to be the primary right fielder.

AP Sports Writer Howard Fendrich in Washington contributed to this report.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get this at all. I Kearns and Lopez are young, valuable position players, and they traded them for middle relievers.

Now, I've never seen the guys pitch, but they're MIDDLE RELIEVERS!

People that know more about this than me have called this an unbelievable steal for the Nats.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-13-2006 at 10:22 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I don't get this at all. I Kearns and Lopez are young, valuable position players, and they traded them for middle relievers.

Now, I've never seen the guys pitch, but they're MIDDLE RELIEVERS!

People that know more about this than me have called this an unbelievable steal for the Nats.
Definetly. Both Kearns and Lopez are great young players that have been getting better and better. I thought they were important pieces to their team, but I guess the Reds don't think so. They are trying to build up their bullpen to try and make a run. I still don't get it though.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote