Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3:10 to Yuma

What an awesome movie. I know a lot of people get turned off by westerns (well, a lot of young people) but I just watched this with some friends and it was awesome. It is a little bit slow at the beginning but it's absolutely worth it.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I enjoyed it..though its not your typical western..
Old 09-09-2007, 03:04 AM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

i definitely want to watch this

and also the jesse james movie with brad pitt

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:06 AM   #4
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Saw it tonight. How is it not a typical western. So much symbolism and story development. So many things you can analyze. That's what a lot of westerns are about!

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

did you like it ty?

Contact Me
Old 09-09-2007, 03:10 AM   #6
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Yah I liked it. Definitely stuff worth thinking about in that movie. Things that you don't really realize until you talk about it.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 09-09-2007, 03:12 AM   #7
alby
Guru

Dang, I'll go see it next weekend.. definitely don't watch War, worst dialogue of the year (although I wasn't expecting much, it was still that bad)

Looks like Russell Crowe is back from the grave.. with this movie and American Gangsta, another must see.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 09-09-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:14 AM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

Plus, who wouldn't want to see Batman vs. Maximus aka Spaniard aka Gladiator?

Old 09-09-2007, 03:17 AM   #9
alby
Guru

Batman Begins vs Maximus the Merciful sounds pretty freaking good.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 09-09-2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Just got back from this. The last 20 minutes was pretty damn incredible. I can't remember the last time I was that nervous watching anything. Bale continues his ascension up my list of great actors.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:20 AM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

5. Knocked Up
4. 3:10 to Yuma
3. Transformers
2. The Bourne Ultimatum
1. Grindhouse
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

^^^
transformers sucked
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, Transformers did not suck, in any way.

And, 3:10 To Yuma was greatness.

That is all.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
alby
Guru

knocked up was/is so overrated =\

Contact Me
Old 09-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
5. Knocked Up
3. Transformers
2. The Bourne Ultimatum
1. Grindhouse
is grindhouse really worth seeing? It looks like typical tarantino trash to me.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
is grindhouse really worth seeing? It looks like typical tarantino trash to me.
I suspect it is. It's just that he likes all of his trash.

Lots of people do, I guess.

I don't get it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 09-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #17
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's all up to one's taste, but grindhouse was a fun double feature to watch. It does not try to be groundbreaking or anything like that.

In my book, Nash13 grossly overrated it. When the director isn't trying to make a movie that is better than the other ones on the list, as clearly is the case with the two movies in grindhouse, then I don't think it's a top 5 movie this year.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #18
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Alby........................Knocked Up is not overrated. To me, it had more funny moments than Superbad. I think Superbad was a better overall movie though.

Dude & Thig.........................How come everybody i talked movies with like Tarantino's work. Then people on message boards call him a hack, trash, plagarist, etc. Yet on every review website, all of his movies are well recieved by the general public.........Maybe it's b/c a lot of people like his movies. Grindhouse is a unique movie with a unique style that hasn't been done for a few decades.

Bernados...............You're probably right. I am biased when it comes to Robert Rodriguez. Was it the best movie of the year? No. Was it my favorite? Yes.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dude & Thig.........................How come everybody i talked movies with like Tarantino's work. Then people on message boards call him a hack, trash, plagarist, etc. Yet on every review website, all of his movies are well recieved by the general public.........Maybe it's b/c a lot of people like his movies. Grindhouse is a unique movie with a unique style that hasn't been done for a few decades.
Beats me, different strokes I guess. I thought Pulp Fiction had some funny moments but after that not much that he's done I've liked. In general too violent or cartoonish for my tastes.
His resevoir dogs was interesting but again pretty violent.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Hey, I said lots of people like it. Not saying you're alone or anything, Nash.

I've never called him a hack or anything like that, I just don't like his stuff, at all.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-29-2007, 11:39 PM   #21
alby
Guru

Quote:
Alby........................Knocked Up is not overrated. To me, it had more funny moments than Superbad. I think Superbad was a better overall movie though.

Bernados...............You're probably right. I am biased when it comes to Robert Rodriguez. Was it the best movie of the year? No. Was it my favorite? Yes.
wait so how is superbad not ranked but knocked up is

Contact Me
Old 09-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #22
Nash13
Diamond Member

It's weird. I didn't find Superbad as funny, but i thought it was a better movie. Superbad actually had a plot and a decent storyline. Knocked Up just had a lot of funny jokes in it.

You know what, i'll change my top movies.

10. Superbad
9. 300
8. Rescue Dawn
7. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's end
6. Knocked Up
5. The Simpson's movie
3. Transformers
2. The Bourne Ultimatum
1. Grindhouse

~The Salesman
Old 09-30-2007, 12:16 AM   #23
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Hey, I said lots of people like it. Not saying you're alone or anything, Nash.

I've never called him a hack or anything like that, I just don't like his stuff, at all.

I'm not saying you called him a hack. I'll go to different websites to read other's opinions, and hack and plagarist are the two words that come up the most. Yet on imdb or rottentomatoes, all or most to all his movies have extremely high ratings.

~The Salesman
Old 09-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #24
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Beats me, different strokes I guess. I thought Pulp Fiction had some funny moments but after that not much that he's done I've liked. In general too violent or cartoonish for my tastes.
His resevoir dogs was interesting but again pretty violent.

I don't think Jackie Brown was too violent or cartoonish.

~The Salesman