Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-17-2002, 09:14 AM   #1
mpb319

mpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the roughmpb319 is a jewel in the rough

Well now that the cap has gone, Oh my god, DOWN....what will happen in FA?
Money just went from tight to non-existant.
I believe that the NBA should work with the players association and make the players contracts similar to what they are in the NFL. I realize thats not gonna happen without some real heavy sacrifice from the players and it is against their interests. There are just WAY to many cap chewers out there...marginal to just plain BAD players eating up valuable cap space. These players' contracts should not be guaranteed for the lifetime of the deal IF they are not producing....injuries that basically end a career should not count against the cap and their cap slot should be re-opened for the team to use.
It looks like owners and general managers will be getting a dose of fiscal responsibility and that some decent players will also learn to play for less or play in Europe. The whole system needs some tweaking so that the FANS, the people who pay the money that runs the league, are not stuck with a product that STINKS. They could learn some things from the NFL.
mpb319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2002, 12:35 PM   #2
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

Good article with some valid points:

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/headline_b.asp?pr=

Old 07-17-2002, 01:36 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Well.. I think the current CBA is pretty decent.. it's working to keep stupid contracts from being signed (for the most part)... making it easy for teams to sign rookies, and keep their own players if they're willing to pay.

I don't like the way that free agency has just seemed to shut down the last two summers, because it could lead to a panic from the players and they might start crying for a different CBA.

I think that if everyone would be patient, both sides would be fairly satisfied once they give it a couple more years for the Shawn-Kemp-like contracts to be shaken out.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote