Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity View Post
Toronto, GS, Lakers, Clippers, Miami .... all the "cool" spots and big markets which have been mentioned as possible destinations for Giannis seem to have old rosters that would need considerable retooling to have a good team around him. He doesn't just leave Milwaukee without making sure that he has a stable team around him for years to come/

Houston is in the same boat with two stars over 30, and Harden not being his best friend, even though basketball wise they might have the best style to attract him. Plenty of shooters, open space to drive, and other ballhandlers ... though again, Harden might be too much of a ballhandler. Russ would need to leave though.

I really think that basketball sense it makes sense for him in Dallas, Donnie has old connections with him, and KP and him have a basketball friendship as well. For the first time, I think we really have a chance.

I just want to make sure we don't want to over-emphasize the "Euro" connection with Luka, KP or even to Dirk. They are all from three different countries with few links with each other. KP and Luka also played for years in Spain before coming over, whereas Giannis was playing in Greece's second division without ever facing other elite players in the continent. (Side note, this is very similar to Dirk who was also an unkown in Europe, playing Germany's second division, which is even more of a basketball backwater than Greece. He never faced any of the European elite while in Germany). Giannis was also the son Nigerian immigrants to boot, who probably didn't even get a chance to travel outside Greece before getting his citizenship at age 18, in his last year living in Greece. "Europe" is probably a foreign concept for him to begin with. I know he feels partly Greek and partly Nigerian, but "Europe" to him probably means nothing.

If he comes to Dallas, it's because it's a good situation, with a stable franchise, and with basketball people he knows and trusts.
I agree on one level. On the other hand, he could see a 5 year window with any of GSW, LAC or Miami. Depends on if this move comes through trade or FA signing. Miami would have to give up almost all its young talent to get him unless he says: trade me there or I sign outright. Future low picks, Herro, Robinson, Nunn still isn’t getting it done. And Miami loses all shooting. Bam and Robinson and picks? GS can offer the motherload. Toronto would be building around Giannis, Siakam, OG and FVV presumably so he would have to trust Masai/Nurse to fill in around the edges. LAC could sign and trade Harrell, Zubac, Shamet, Lou Williams on a value contract and some scattered picks. Pretty meh.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I agree on one level. On the other hand, he could see a 5 year window with any of GSW, LAC or Miami. Depends on if this move comes through trade or FA signing. Miami would have to give up almost all its young talent to get him unless he says: trade me there or I sign outright. Future low picks, Herro, Robinson, Nunn still isn’t getting it done. And Miami loses all shooting. Bam and Robinson and picks? GS can offer the motherload. Toronto would be building around Giannis, Siakam, OG and FVV presumably so he would have to trust Masai/Nurse to fill in around the edges. LAC could sign and trade Harrell, Zubac, Shamet, Lou Williams on a value contract and some scattered picks. Pretty meh.
Steph is 33 next summer and Klay will be 31. As good as those guys are, and as good as shooting ages, Giannis would be a fool to invest his prime with guys that will be on the downside of their career. Most of the other situations are similar as well, with key stars over 30.

In Dallas he would have KP at the same age, and Luka being 4 years younger. I think that is a tremendous asset if he is thinking about consecutive opportunities to win a ring, not just a few runs.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity View Post
Steph is 33 next summer and Klay will be 31. As good as those guys are, and as good as shooting ages, Giannis would be a fool to invest his prime with guys that will be on the downside of their career. Most of the other situations are similar as well, with key stars over 30.

In Dallas he would have KP at the same age, and Luka being 4 years younger. I think that is a tremendous asset if he is thinking about consecutive opportunities to win a ring, not just a few runs.
Fair enough. You may be right. I could see them maybe trading Dray if they did get Freak. Try to get back a couple younger pieces.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Fair enough. You may be right. I could see them maybe trading Dray if they did get Freak. Try to get back a couple younger pieces.
Oh, it for sure makes sense for THEM. Smartest possible thing they could do. Maximizes Steph's career and bridges the gap to post Steph relevance. I just don't get how you're pining for that if you're Giannis, unless he's just a huge fan of the bay area, I guess. And, if Milwaukee for some reason shifts into trade mode for him, I feel like they'll get much better offers than what GS can provide.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Oh, it for sure makes sense for THEM. Smartest possible thing they could do. Maximizes Steph's career and bridges the gap to post Steph relevance. I just don't get how you're pining for that if you're Giannis, unless he's just a huge fan of the bay area, I guess. And, if Milwaukee for some reason shifts into trade mode for him, I feel like they'll get much better offers than what GS can provide.
They have the #2 pick in a weak at the top draft and a top 3 wolves pick next season in a strong draft and Wiggins, who is useable, as salary match. What if they really like Wiseman or Devi and figure they can still be decent with Wiggins and the rest of remaining cast? Or they could quickly pivot to rebuild and sell Middleton and Lopez as well to the highest bidders. Bottom out and have two top 10 picks next season and more on the way for Middleton. I’m not saying they would or should. But they would have options.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #6
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
They have the #2 pick in a weak at the top draft and a top 3 wolves pick next season in a strong draft and Wiggins, who is useable, as salary match. What if they really like Wiseman or Devi and figure they can still be decent with Wiggins and the rest of remaining cast? Or they could quickly pivot to rebuild and sell Middleton and Lopez as well to the highest bidders. Bottom out and have two top 10 picks next season and more on the way for Middleton. I’m not saying they would or should. But they would have options.
I'm with you - those picks are valuable. I think that's a good haul, but idk...I feel like if I'm Milwaukee and I decide I have no choice but to trade the guy I'm trying to get a haul that's ridiculous.

You'd rather get what OKC got for George than what NYK got for KP, right?
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote