Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-22-2003, 11:54 AM   #1
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default Last 2 Books You've Read

Letters To A Young Poet written by Rainer Maria Rilke

& I'm just wrapping up Wandering Hill (the second in the Berrybender Series) by Larry McMurtry.

Old 08-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Atlas Shrugged, Think and grow rich
Old 08-22-2003, 12:53 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Godfather and Godfather--- I read that for 99th and 100th time.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Daredevil #1 (I cheated. It was part of a collector's edition book.)
since I can't think of what would have been another last book I read all the way through, I'll cheat some more and say
Daredevil #2 (part of the same collector's edition book.)
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Last 2 Books You've Read

geez, i haven't read anything in like 3 years... book wise. i suck.

last books i read were 3 of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy books (i need to finish the series) and The Lord of the Rings.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:06 PM   #6
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

nemesis by isaac asimov
dune by frank herbert
Old 08-22-2003, 02:04 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Mandyahl... you need to read Children of Dune and Dune Messiah... the original trilogy. Pure greatness.

I just finished reading a boring book. Sybex Cisco CCNP Remote Access.

And am in the midst of reading What to expect the first year.

Up next? Sybex CCNP Switching
Old 08-22-2003, 02:10 PM   #8
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

sounds like you are reading some horrible stuff, u2!

i need to go out and buy the other dune books. i read the first one while i was babysitting because the family had it...they had the whole trilogy, actually, but i only had time to finish the first one.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:27 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Nah Amanda.. the Remote Access book was boring because it covered material i had almost zero interest in. The switching I am looking forward to.

It's the exams that are horrible. I think the people that write those things laugh their aces off at the pain everyone attempting them goes through.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:16 PM   #10
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
nemesis by isaac asimov
dune by frank herbert
I love asimov. I, Robot is one of my favorite books of all time.
anyway,
Black Like Me (for about the 5th time)
Isaac Asimov's Book of Facts (not one to be read straight through, but i pick it up every time i'm bored)

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 03:19 PM   #11
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

haven't read the book of facts, but i did read black like me earlier this summer.

i also liked i. robot, and i enjoyed the foundation series as well.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:24 PM   #12
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

without Remorse-Tom Clancy
&
Economics book for grad school [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:37 PM   #13
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Dave Barry Does Japan (awesome) & Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy (long).
Old 08-22-2003, 04:42 PM   #14
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

and there's a book by Frank Herbert and his son I really liked, it's called Man of Two Worlds or something like that.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:10 PM   #15
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Man this will probably be a short thread. lol ...I like it though, lets you know who the intellectuals are.

These are recreational reads of course, I'm not counting texts and other school related books.

LotR FotR and TT....all three books are in one volume as Tolkien intended....he only released them separately at the behest of the publishing company (starting return of the king now)

And, before that I read "The Intelligent Traveller's Guide To Historic Scotland" by Philip A. Crowl
Old 08-22-2003, 09:30 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
and there's a book by Frank Herbert and his son I really liked, it's called Man of Two Worlds or something like that.
Frank Herberts son, Brian, should have left Dune alone. But Frank was a science fiction genious.

I think after my technical books I am going to read Red Rabbit.... has anyone read this?

Jack Ryan is AWESOME!!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:33 PM   #17
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Man this will probably be a short thread. lol ...I like it though, lets you know who the intellectuals are.

These are recreational reads of course, I'm not counting texts and other school related books.

LotR FotR and TT....all three books are in one volume as Tolkien intended....he only released them separately at the behest of the publishing company (starting return of the king now)

And, before that I read "The Intelligent Traveller's Guide To Historic Scotland" by Philip A. Crowl

Did you read the ITGTS as preparation for a trip to Scotland, Rod? If so, where all did you go while you were there?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:44 PM   #18
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bruce Catton's Grant moves South, and The War Amongst the Angels by Michael Moorcock.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:20 AM   #19
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
Quote:

Did you read the ITGTS as preparation for a trip to Scotland, Rod? If so, where all did you go while you were there?
Actually, I read The ITGTHS recently to reminisce about my trips to Scotland in 88' and 92' I went all over.....to many locales to list.
After reading TITGTHS, I realized there is so much more I must see.....

Old 08-23-2003, 03:02 PM   #20
XERXES
Diamond Member

It's one of my favorite places in the world. Especially North of Edinburgh: Inverness, Perth, the Highlands and such...(alot of my family is from Wick - up at the far far NE coast.)
Old 08-23-2003, 03:17 PM   #21
Rod1975
Golden Member

Yep, it truly is my favorite place besides TX. I felt at home there. I visited where my family's clan came from in Struan.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:36 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

George Orwell - Animal Farm
Currently reading Dante's The Divine Comedy.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:10 PM   #23
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Had to read Animal farm in high school, along with Farenheit 451, Brave New World, all the "utopian society" type novels, but school kind of sapped the joy out of it.

Old 08-23-2003, 06:27 PM   #24
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
Had to read Animal farm in high school, along with Farenheit 451, Brave New World, all the "utopian society" type novels, but school kind of sapped the joy out of it.
Yeah, I can see that. I had never heard about animal farm til recently...
Old 08-23-2003, 06:34 PM   #25
thebac

thebac is on a distinguished road

1984 by George Orwell and S. by John Updike.

1984 hits a little too close to home, I must say, what with all the various Patriot Acts and Victory Acts being passed in Congress.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:51 PM   #26
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Hey Rod,did you read "The silmarilion" or "Unfinished Tales",or a book from the history perhaps???

The silmarilion is just amazing,i have no other words to describe it,simply an amazing book.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:55 PM   #27
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Rules Of Attraction & Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:10 PM   #28
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

WHY MEN DON'T LISTEN & WOMEN CAN'T READ MAPS by allan & barbara pease

full house by janet evanovich
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 10:04 AM   #29
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
Hey Rod,did you read "The silmarilion" or "Unfinished Tales",or a book from the history perhaps???

The silmarilion is just amazing,i have no other words to describe it,simply an amazing book.
I plan on reading the Silmarillion after LOTR but Unfinfished Tales...I dunno...
I do have a book called "A Guide to Tolkien" and it has a ton of silmarillion info in it without giving away the story.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:18 AM   #30
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin

Kiln People by David Brin

Both books were VERY good.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 03:51 PM   #31
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy

I plan on reading the Silmarillion after LOTR but Unfinfished Tales...I dunno...
I do have a book called "A Guide to Tolkien" and it has a ton of silmarillion info in it without giving away the story.
there's one out there called the tolkein beastiary. It's full of info on races and creatures and has some great art. Another great reference. I first read the hobbit in middle school, and after all this time i still can't get over the sheer expanse and detail of the world tolkein created.

Old 08-24-2003, 04:13 PM   #32
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

1.- The Punch by John Feinstein

I needed several months to finish it cause it is very sad in some parts; I read others in the meantime and retook this when I had forgotten about it. The good parts of the book come with facts around the NBA those days.

2.- Sofies Verden. Sophia's World. By Jostein Gaarder.

Excelent novel about the history of philosophy. Easy reading for people not very familiarized with the study of philosophy.

Old 08-24-2003, 09:04 PM   #33
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas

2.- Sofies Verden. Sophia's World. By Jostein Gaarder.

Excelent novel about the history of philosophy. Easy reading for people not very familiarized with the study of philosophy.
Chiwas, I have to ask since you posted the Norwegian title-- are you reading it in Norwegian?

It's a great book that is both educational and entertaining. An all-too-rare combination, really.

My two most recent books:

The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers
Nickel and Dimed, by Barbara Ehrenreich
Old 08-24-2003, 09:11 PM   #34
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

hey, i just read nickel and dimed too sturm! craziness...
Old 08-24-2003, 09:25 PM   #35
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

-Nietzsche "Zarathustra" (for about the fifth time, I love it).
-Anton Cechov "Rothschilds Geige" (too lazy to look up the english title).
-A. Roth "Das Gehirn und seine Wirklichkeit" (a scientific book about neurobiology and constuctivism).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:36 PM   #36
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Catherine Coulter- "Blind Side"
Karen Robards- "Beachcomber"

Currently reading Dawn Atkins- "Friendly Persuasion"
Old 08-24-2003, 11:39 PM   #37
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
[Q
Chiwas, I have to ask since you posted the Norwegian title-- are you reading it in Norwegian?

It's a great book that is both educational and entertaining. An all-too-rare combination, really.
No sturm, it's the version in spanish. And it's a great book indeed.