Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-12-2003, 01:16 PM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Preseason Stats/Analysis

Been messing around on Patricia's site and this is what I've found after the first 3 preseason games compared to last year's numbers:

Dirk Stats
Last year: He took a shot every 2.09 minutes
This year: He takes a shot every 1.89 minutes

Last year: He grabbed a rebound every 3.9 minutes
This year: He grabs a rebound every 3.5 minutes

Last year: He made an assist every 13 minutes
This year: He makes an assist every 17 minutes

Last year: He went to the FT line every 5.7 minutes
This year: He's going to the line every 4.5 minutes

Last year: He blocked a shot every 38 minutes
This year: He blocks a shot every 17 minutes

Last year: He had a steal every 17 minutes
This year: He has a steal every 68 minutes

What do those numbers tell me? Dirk is becoming more aggressive offensively, with taking more shots and getting to the line more frequently. Yes Michael Finley is out but the FT line number is the most impressive stat offensively. If he can get to the line on average 7-8 times a game this year... it will benefit the Mavs. Anytime an 85% gets more FT attempts is a definite plus. Defensively, he seems to playing more inside. The two games I watched he is more content on contesting shots in the post, as well as keeping his man in front of him. He's been holding his position pretty well, and haven't given up a lot of cheappies. If Nellie keeps him guarding power forwards and centers I wouldn't be suprised to see him average 2 blocks a game and a steal a game. Suprisingly with all of the rebounders on our team now... Dirk is averaging more rebounds than he did last year. And that is good because our rebounders compliment each other. Fortson, LaFrentz, and Jamison are good offensive rebounders, and Dirk is a great defensive rebounder. They concentrate on their strengths while on the court and it will improve their overall effectiveness.

(Edited for clarity and typos.)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

nice research Bayliss.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:04 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

agreed although preseason doesnt mean a thing.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I agree to a certain extent about preseason not meaning anything. But the preseason is when players incorporate what they've been practicing on in the offseason. The three main things Dirk wanted to work on this summer was athleticism, post defense, and passing.

Those three things can be semi-measured when looking at stats. His assists are not up so far this year but he is iniating the offense from the wing. And that is a step in the right direction of his passing skills and "vision." Dirk is slowing becoming the point forward that Nellie wants him to be. A player that can start the offense and let others run screens etc for Nash, Fin, Welsch for perimeter shots.. and Jamison for underneath shots. His improved athleticism will help him draw more fouls on the opposing team as will as grab more boards. And his post defense can be seen by blocks but also how well he keeps his position and keeps the opposing power forward from their "comfort" zone on the offensive end.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
Bayliss

I updated it from the latest game.

Dirk Stats
Last year: He took a shot every 2.09 minutes
This year: He takes a shot every 2.13 minutes

This year: He grabs a rebound every 4.36 minutes

Last year: He made an assist every 13 minutes
This year: He makes an assist every 10.7 minutes

Last year: He went to the FT line every 5.7 minutes
This year: He's going to the line every 5.6 minutes

This year: He blocks a shot every 24 minutes

Last year: He had a steal every 17 minutes
This year: He has a steal every 48 minutes

Amazing how one game affected his rebounding and, assists, and steals.... Will be interesting to see how they pan out when he gets a few more games under his belt.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Come on now Bayliss. This is preseason we are talking about here. I don't think anyone really cares about any wins or losses here. That could also mean the best is yet to come from Dirk this season but with Fin being out and this being preseason I don't think these stats are reliable.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:50 PM   #7
Bayliss

Quote:
Come on now Bayliss. This is preseason we are talking about here. I don't think anyone really cares about any wins or losses here. That could also mean the best is yet to come from Dirk this season but with Fin being out and this being preseason I don't think these stats are reliable.
You can take some of it with a grain of salt. But isn't it some things he wanted to improve on? That I believe is what I'm showing. Notice I'm not putting his average... because those numbers aren't that important during preseason. But the minutes per number is a better reflection of how his stats have improved over a certain time. And with a bigger sample.. the more accurate the sample.

(And personally... if you don't care about preseason stats... don't post or read this thread.)
Old 10-16-2003, 06:34 AM   #8
DrtyFlthyNasty

DrtyFlthyNasty is on a distinguished road

when the real season starts and players get down to it.. lets see if the hunger is there. they have to be foaming at the mouth from what happened in the playoffs. especially dirk!...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] cant wait!...
"I know what I can do,'' Van Exel said. "I'm not really worried about what other people say, that I'm just a scorer or a ballhog or whatever. I know when I need to score, and I definitely know how to make players better.'' - Nick Van Exel

"The ROC handle like Van Exel,
I shake phoneys man, You can't get next to.."

-Jayz
DrtyFlthyNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:59 AM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
I updated it from the latest game.

Amazing how one game affected his rebounding and, assists, and steals.... Will be interesting to see how they pan out when he gets a few more games under his belt.
not very amazing considering how few games you've got in your analysis.
Thanks for keeping track of things, we can see how much variation there is game to game, but conclusions are premature.

How did Dirk's preseason stats last year compare to his regular season stats last year? That might help people decide whether they can trust preseason stats this year to predict regular season stats this year.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:20 PM   #10
Bayliss

Dirk Stats
Last year Reg: He took a shot every 2.09 minutes
Last year Preseason: He took a shot every 1.66 minutes

Last year Preseason: He grabbed a rebound every 4.06 minutes

Last year Reg: He made an assist every 13 minutes
Last year Preseason: He made an assist every 13.8 minutes

Last year Reg: He went to the FT line every 5.7 minutes
Last year Preseason: He went to the line every 4.96 minutes

Last year Preseason: He blocked a shot every 51.75 minutes