Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-23-2002, 01:08 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Who here washes their cars by hand and how long does it take you on average? This is the first time I've attempted to detail my car (previously, with my jeep all I did was spray it down, dry it up, and maybe slather on turtle wax a couple times) and man it's a lot more work than I expected! It's FREAKING HOT AS HELL outside too! My gf bought me a car care kit and I've been reading up on how to clean a car properly (i.e., avoiding swirl marks, etc) and man it's a ton of work. Any time-saving tips from you car wash experts would be much appreciated!

Here's what I've got planned for today:

1. strip previous wax using Dawn
2. wash car with car wash liquid
3. spray tires/rims with cleaner, scrub, and hose down
4. dry car
5. clay bar car using Speed Shine (spray-on detailer) as lubricant
6. apply polish and buff
7. apply wax and buff
8. wax rims and apply rubber dressing on tires
9. clean windows inside and out with window cleaner
10. vacuum interior
11. dust interior
12. apply interior cleaner (leather/vinyl)

I'm only on step 5 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The ac man came to fix our busted up ac system and by the time he was done, the damn sun was out in all its frickin glory. I toweled off the car and am gonna finish it off inside the garage where it's a little cooler. Damn Texas heat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2002, 01:23 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't tell you how to make it go any faster, but watch your wash water. The grime and crap from the tires, etc will pool up in the water and when it evaporates it will leave you a nice stain in the driveway.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

BTW, it usually takes me a couple hours.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:33 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

It usually takes me a couple hours aswell. Which reminds me, I haven't washed my car in about 10 months [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] .

And your right, IT'S HOTTER THE HELL out their [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] . And I normally like the heat. Was gonna mow the yard but today but it's too damn hot.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:36 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Last night I was going to mow at about 8pm. Still fairly light outside, etc. Cracked open a cold beer, got on the riding mower and realized the beer was gone. Cracked open another, realized I was totally soaked with sweat, realized the beer was gone. The sun is now rapidly falling, so I got the rest of the six pack, sat on the porch swing, finished the sixer and took a shower. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 01:36 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a busy day doc [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2002, 02:21 PM   #7
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Yeah, I remember the heat and humidity in Texas, damn! (used to live in a Houston suburb) You literally just walk out to get the mail and you're sweating. It does have it's advantages over an extremely dry climate (Albuquerque in my case), though, such as not having to mess around with friggin' evaporative coolers.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:42 PM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

-hmm. I don't know what you guys are talking about. Takes me about 3 minutes to wash my car. All I do is push a couple buttons and then drive when the sign says 'go'. Plus, I get to watch a big, cool machine, and because my air conditioner is broke, I can crack the window and get a nice, refreshing spray of soap-water.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 03:45 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Irontoad- I used to live in Albequerque. Near Sandia HIgh. I lvoed it there. 100 in the summer (dry) and snow in the winter. I used to love Sandia Peak and the tram.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:27 PM   #10
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Cool, Doc, yeah I'm pretty happy here, I definitely like the mountains. Did you go to high school here?
Old 08-23-2002, 05:58 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Actually, I was a lot younger. I went to elementary school there. (It was called Comanche Elementary) About 3-4 blocks from the high school. I lived about a block from the high school on Rhode Island street.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:53 PM   #12
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Undertook the job of washing my car today. It's not as hot as when dj did his but its still pretty hot. I forgot how much work it took too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] . Started about noon with a vaccum and shampoo of the carpet, JUST now finished dryin the car off. Wax job comes next [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] . Need a break though, probably wax after dinner.

Old 09-27-2002, 03:56 PM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I wash my car the same way I mow my lawn.

I give my $$$$ to the guy and he does it so I don't have to.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 04:07 PM   #14
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

i say take it down to the place where the guys wash your car while you sit in the shade on a nice patio drinking bottled water and reading a nice magazine...

True confession: i've only used such a place once. it gets costly. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #15
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I much more prefer the hands-on approach. Like gettin my hands dirty.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:38 PM   #16
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

i hope you know i was kidding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i couldn't believe such a posh place existed! California will educate a country girl..

anyone willing to volunteer to wash my car? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] all i do to it is wash and rinse, and let it dry in the wind. lol
Old 09-27-2002, 04:39 PM   #17
djb
Administrator

I damn near passed out that day from dehydration..even though I drank 12 bottles of water throughout the course of the wash. It took me over 8 hours to finish the job, and I didn't even get to the interior! And of course it rained a few days later..
Old 09-27-2002, 08:19 PM   #18
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

FINALLY finished that sucker [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] . Did a pretty shoty wax job but I was too damn tired.

Old 09-29-2002, 02:13 AM   #19
Smiles
Diamond Member

great, now it should rain in a day or two. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]