Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-06-2001, 10:20 AM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Kemp out for season; will enter drug rehab

The Blazers have no comment, but a source close to the team confirms that the veteran forward will not return

Friday, April 6, 2001

By Jason Quick of The Oregonian staff

SAN FRANCISCO -- Trail Blazers forward Shawn Kemp will enter a drug rehabilitation program and miss the remainder of the season, according to a source close to the team.

Kemp left the team for "personal reasons" after Monday's 94-92 loss at Denver, during which he played the last nine minutes. He did not rejoin the team in San Francisco on Thursday and will not be with the Blazers for tonight's game against Golden State.

Blazers spokesperson Sue Carpenter had no comment late Thursday and referred all calls to Kemp's agent, Tony Dutt. The Blazers are expected to make a statement before tonight's game.

Dutt did not return phone calls.

Kemp, 31, was traded to the Blazers from Cleveland on August 30 in a three-team deal that sent Brian Grant to Miami. A six-time All-Star, Kemp was drafted out of high school by the Seattle SuperSonics, for whom he played eight seasons. He is making $11.7 million this season, and is the third-highest paid player on the team behind Scottie Pippen and Rasheed Wallace.

Kemp reported to the Blazers overweight and played sparingly, appearing in 68 games, including two starts. Kemp was unhappy with his reduced role with the Blazers, which included averages of 6.5 points, 3.8 rebounds in 15.9 minutes.

Over the past month, Kemp had lost significant weight and had shown flashes of improved play. But those flashes included stints of erratic play, which limited his use.

He had one of his strongest games March 26 at home against the Los Angeles Clippers, during which he made four of six shots from the field, six of eight free throws and had 14 points in 19 minutes.

"It's been a tough year," Kemp said after the Clippers game. "We've got probably three or four guys in the same situation so you try to just not let the frustration get to you, even though it is tough sometimes.

"You figure if you get out there and you play well enough, they might keep you out there a couple of minutes longer. It felt good for me to just be out there on the court."

Kemp tried to remain optimistic throughout what was obviously becoming a difficult season.

"I just accept things the way they are. I have never been in a position like this before -- ever," Kemp said. "I pout, now I have a whole city mad at me.

"I don't think anybody in this city knew they wouldn't see me out there as much. I think it would be disappointing to the fans if they saw me over there pouting. So I'm keeping my head up, not just for myself, but also for the fans, the guys who are out there playing, and my family."

Source: Kemp out for season; will enter drug rehab
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2001, 12:13 PM   #2
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

they just confirmed it's for a coccaine addiction...i feel bad for the guy...

GET BETTER SHAWN[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2001, 02:46 PM   #3
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

i thought coke made you skinny???
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 06:35 PM   #4
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Dang I really used to like Kemp
Old 04-06-2001, 07:50 PM   #5
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

And strangely enough, this may actually improve the Blazers @.@ One less ego to have to fit with minutes, some more minutes to pass out to the other egos.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 03:43 PM   #6
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

haha...good one Crippler. His loss of talent and gain of weight did seem to happen simotaniously.