Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys (12/16/07 - 3:15PM CST)

McNabb must play a mistake-free game for the Eagles to win
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Info
TV: Fox
Time: 3:15PM CST
Line: Dallas by 10
Scouts Inc.: In the first meeting between these two teams the Cowboys embarrassed the Eagles. This is a classic NFC East rivalry with two storied franchises heading in opposite directions. The Cowboys need a win to stay in front of the Packers for NFC supremacy, while the Eagles must win to keep their slim playoff hopes alive.

Look for Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to use the combination of running backs Marion Barber and Julius Jones to open up the backend for QB Tony Romo. Can the Eagles' defense slow down the Cowboys' high-powered offensive attack? Eagles QB Donovan McNabb must play a mistake-free game, while relying on RB Brian Westbrook. Expect the Cowboys' defense to play better this week after getting exposed last week against the Lions.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Game Plan: Shut down Brian Westbrook.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys 41
Iggles - 13
Old 12-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

it's going to be a blood bath!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I will be there, so WE WILL CRUSH THEM BY AT LEAST 28 POINTS!!!

Dallas - a whole bunch
Eagles - not so much
Old 12-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting read on our defense...

Quote:
Source: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.2743771.html
Dallas Cowboys' 'D' has delivered

Players say most important number is the 12 in win column
11:55 AM CST on Friday, December 14, 2007

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News IRVING – On a wall in the Cowboys' defensive meeting room is a large poster, listing the unit's goals.
1. Stop the run
2. No big plays allowed
3. Create takeaways

Through 13 games, the Cowboys have consistently met those goals. They have not allowed a 100-yard rusher. In the seven games since their only loss to New England, they have allowed just three touchdown passes of 20 or more yards. They have 25 takeaways with 18 interceptions and seven fumble recoveries.

"Anything that aligns to prove that," defensive coordinator Brian Stewart said, "then that's what we are."

Peer inside the numbers a little closer, especially the last two weeks. Against Green Bay and Detroit, the Cowboys gave up their most rushing yards (124, 152 yards). The Packers put up 27 points, including 17 after Brett Favre was hurt. The Lions collected 25 first downs, the second-highest total allowed this season.

From coach Wade Phillips to Stewart to the players, there is a 'What me worry?' attitude. They prefer to look at it like a Monet, with a wide view.

"I think we're 12-1. I don't think many teams have that record," Phillips said. "I think New England is 13-0 and Green Bay is doing pretty well. We have the second-best record in the NFL, that's where we are. The defense is 12-1."

The Cowboys are ranked eighth in the NFL (fourth vs. the rush, 20th vs. the pass). They are allowing 6.4 yards per pass attempt and 3.9 yard per rush, both slightly better than the league average. Opponents are converting 39.7 percent of the time on third down.

Though Dallas struggled to stop Detroit's running attack, the Cowboys' defense ranks eighth overall. But late last season the Cowboys faltered defensively. In the last four games, they allowed 425 yards and 33 points per game.

"Everybody's running out to conclusions," linebacker Bradie James said. "We're going to give up something. It just so happens that it happened in Week 14. Each week brings a different challenge."
The Cowboys have shown the ability to stop the hiccups quickly after spotty defensive outings.

A week after allowing 438 yards and 35 points to the New York Giants, the Cowboys allowed 334 yards and 20 points to Miami. After allowing 448 yards and 48 points to New England, they allowed 196 yards and 14 points to Minnesota. After allowing 423 yards and 23 points to Washington, they allowed 180 yards and three points to the New York Jets.

"There's no way getting around hard work," defensive end Chris Canty said. "The teams that win games on Sunday prepare on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Tuesdays, Mondays."

But do "defenses win championships," as the old axiom states?

"I just think certain things have been handed down to people and regurgitated," Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman said. "Don't get me wrong, you're not going to win a championship without a good defense."
The Cowboys had defenses ranked No. 1 in 1992, No. 10 in '93 and No. 9 in '95 in their Super Bowl run the last decade. Since 2000, only two Super Bowl winners had defense ranked outside the top 10 – 2006 Indianapolis (No. 21) and 2001 New England (No. 24). In the same span, five championship teams had offenses ranked 15th or lower.

The Patriots held St. Louis, which scored 503 points in the regular season, to 17 points to win Super Bowl XXXVI. In three of the Colts' four playoff wins to Super Bowl XLI, they did not allow more than 17 points.

"They didn't have what people consider a great defense, but they had an explosive defense," linebacker Greg Ellis said of the Colts. "The formula worked good because they scored a lot of points and got people in bad situations. Now, if they had to go toe to toe maybe they come up short. But get in a foot race with them and they're going to sack the quarterback, knock the ball loose.

"Our defense is a good defense. We're explosive. We can make big plays."

Eagles (5-8) at Cowboys (12-1), 3:15 p.m. Sunday (Ch. 4)
Go Cowboys.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

No LJ Smith (Roy Williams must be happy)

8 in the box

we win this one with ease, 34-10

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote