Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #161
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
What stuck out the most to me with Powell wasn't his 2 blocks at the end but the new defense he was trying on Gasol. The "I'm going to leave you wide open every play so I can stay close to the rim and watch jj barea rebound it" defense.
Lol. Well, it's not like Noel wasn't getting killed too. Conley is dangerous and he was eating up Noel off the PnR and switches. When we adjusted Gasol starts raining 3's. Tough to cover those two guys, especially when Gasol is popping out and hitting time after time.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #162
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Powell is the worst big man help defender in the league, and it's not even close. That's what bothers me the most.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #163
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I'm not understanding why there is bash on Powell for last nights game. He played hard and made solid decisions.
It took him exactly 10 minutes to add anything to his 0-0-0-0-0 statline. During this 10 minutes Gasol also completly killed him.

At the end he could do some stat padding but overall: there was nothing to see.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #164
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not understanding why there is bash on Powell for last nights game. He played hard and made solid decisions.

Coach overplayed Noel in the middle stretch and then left him on the bench too long...even tho Powell was playing well enough to stay in.
Ah yes the wide open strategy to knock down practice 3s. Except it wasnt practice.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #165
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Ah yes the wide open strategy to knock down practice 3s. Except it wasnt practice.
Wow, I'm not sure what game some of you guys watched last night. Soo Noel wasn't giving the same or maybe more open 3's, and getting beat to the hoop and giving up and1s to Conley?

This may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ_wNlI4J60

Old 10-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #166
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
It took him exactly 10 minutes to add anything to his 0-0-0-0-0 statline. During this 10 minutes Gasol also completly killed him.

At the end he could do some stat padding but overall: there was nothing to see.
I have almost no interest in stats alone.

They both got "killed" because Gasol is a baller and so is Conley. Tough duo to deal with.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #167
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Gasol is a baller and still how you tried to stop him makes a different.

I know the Powell hate so i pretty much watched him all game long...how he was moving etc..and he just sucks...he got lost so often but then of course he jumps nice trying to close out etc. His attempts to rebound are always just weak sauce. He has just no clue how to move and work to get into a good rebounding position. He always tries this lame reaching from far away with one hand because his position sucks.

Keep an eye on him the entire game...its an eye opener. Now he tries hard to get average three point range so he can be the new Andrea Bargnani

Last edited by sefant77; 10-26-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #168
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I didn't get to start watching until about 9 mins left in the 3rd. I guess I missed Powell's terrible first half+ because I thought he played pretty well when I was watching. Sucked Noel was a little limited with the foul trouble, but I kept waiting to see him come on to close it out. No reason he shouldn't have been in even after picking up the 5th foul. Sure, sit him with 6 mins left, but bring him back at some point. Perhaps they were saving some of him for tonight? I dunno. The Powell I saw seemed to come in spurts, which is good since that is what his role should be for maybe 10-15 mpg. Downside is you pay $10mm annually for that. Hopefully he can build on his decent 2nd half last night.

Edit: DSJ was just fantastic. I just focused on the elephant on the court (Powell vs Noel PT).

Last edited by saclare; 10-26-2017 at 01:47 PM.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #169
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a great video posted somewhere online of a pumped up DSJ dapping up fans en route to the tunnel after the game last night that I can’t find now. Anyone have a link?
Old 10-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #170
SMC0007
Guru

I guess my point is that while I'm not a Powell supporter overall (yet), I prefer to look at each game individually this season and guage what I see and give my opinion from a blank canvas, as opposed to judging him on his past.

I thought Powell had positives last night and no one really had much success vs Gasol. Noel had moments where he did positive stuff overall too, but I don't think he outplayed Powell last night.

side note, The thought briefly crossed my mind at one point in the game that RC is leaving Noel in for a bit too long in a couple of stretches so he can say "see told ya so" to prove a point about his rotations.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #171
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I guess my point is that while I'm not a Powell supporter overall (yet), I prefer to look at each game individually this season and guage what I see and give my opinion from a blank canvas, as opposed to judging him on his past.

I thought Powell had positives last night and no one really had much success vs Gasol. Noel had moments where he did positive stuff overall too, but I don't think he outplayed Powell last night.

side note, The thought briefly crossed my mind at one point in the game that RC is leaving Noel in for a bit too long in a couple of stretches so he can say "see told ya so" to prove a point about his rotations.
Yeah, I don't think Powell deserves any bashing for last night's game but the problem I have is more with Rick giving him the opportunity to look good ONCE IN A WHILE, while other young players with more talent have very limited opportunities.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #172
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I get why they play Powell. They obviously know Noel is better, but there isn't a microorganism that thinks Powell is good. The only way you can trade him is by trying to get something, anything out of him. If you bench him for good, then it's just a dead ten million on the bench through 2020.
Very valid points but I think that strategy could come back to bite them in the butt in the end.
I really don't mind seeing him get some PT at PF with a true center in the game but we stop absolutely nobody on defense and get killed on the boards when Powell is at the center position with either Dirk or Barnes at PF.
My biggest problem with Powell isn't so much with Powell himself, but more with how Rick plays and utilizes him.

Last edited by rimrocker; 10-26-2017 at 02:28 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #173
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Yeah, I don't think Powell deserves any bashing for last night's game but the problem I have is more with Rick giving him the opportunity to look good ONCE IN A WHILE, while other young players with more talent have very limited opportunities.
Fair.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #174
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Other young players aren't making 10 mil a year and desperately need to be traded. It really has everything to do with that.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #175
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
There was a great video posted somewhere online of a pumped up DSJ dapping up fans en route to the tunnel after the game last night that I can’t find now. Anyone have a link?
LOL, he started hyping up the crowd before the clock even expired, starts at the 3:20 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ltRoIEoCo

@Dennis1SmithJr: First win at AAC is something I’ll never forget!! #MFFL #PeoplesChamp

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-26-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #176
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Other young players aren't making 10 mil a year and desperately need to be traded. It really has everything to do with that.
Yeah, I think it's one of two things with Powell...

1) We're paying him $10m, so Rick is giving him every opportunity to GROW INTO the type of player who deserves to get paid that much.

2) We're paying him $10m, so Rick is giving him every opportunity to APPEAR TO BE the type of player who deserves to get paid that much -- so we can trade him.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #177
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, I think it's one of two things with Powell...

1) We're paying him $10m, so Rick is giving him every opportunity to GROW INTO the type of player who deserves to get paid that much.

2) We're paying him $10m, so Rick is giving him every opportunity to APPEAR TO BE the type of player who deserves to get paid that much -- so we can trade him.

I'll take whats behind door number 1. IF he grows into the player worth what he is making...keep him. Dirk is never coming back and we have no back up plan yet.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #178
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
his first ten minutes were horrible, his last ten was solid.

So overall again too less. Too less for ten million and too less to play him over Noel (if he doesnt have foul trouble)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #179
Underdog

Quote:
I'll take whats behind door number 1. IF he grows into the player worth what he is making...keep him. Dirk is never coming back and we have no back up plan yet.
I've seen enough of Powell to know that he will never be a starting PF on a playoff team.... Plus, we can sign at least one max free agent next summer -- a guy like Jabari Parker would be a helluva back up plan.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #180
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I've seen enough of Powell to know that he will never be a starting PF on a playoff team.... Plus, we can sign at least one max free agent next summer -- a guy like Jabari Parker would be a helluva back up plan.
Absolutely, but Parker seems like another pipe dream that wouldn't sign here.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #181
Underdog

Quote:
Absolutely, but Parker seems like another pipe dream that wouldn't sign here.
Depends on if the rest of the league sees him as a max player.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #182
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LOL, he started hyping up the crowd before the clock even expired, starts at the 3:20 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ltRoIEoCo

Here I found it!

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/statu...83995739574272
Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #183
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Nice, hadn't seen that one.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #184
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Parker had two ACL tears in the same knee withhin two years....no thanks.

Free agent class sucks. Either unrealistic or too old or center or point guards.

I would go for Covington. really underrated and like a better Jae Crowder.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #185
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Parker had two ACL tears in the same knee withhin two years....no thanks.

Free agent class sucks. Either unrealistic or too old or center or point guards.

I would go for Covington. really underrated and like a better Jae Crowder.
Covington would be a great get. 3 and D, like what they were hoping for with Wes. Hard to say this early without knowing the market but would be happy to see him here for 15m per instead of Seth.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #186
SMC0007
Guru

I'm tired of the 3 and D guys as much as I am undersized guards that can't finish. I'd prefer a sizeable slasher that can play decent defense.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:09 AM   #187
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah I don’t know why people keep talking about Powell like a prospect. We know what Powell is. It’s not his fault but he doesn’t have the ability to do what needs to be done at that position. He’s reached his peak. There’s no more what Powell can “grow into”.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #188
Melonhead
Guru

Mirotic wants out of Chicago. Feel like Cuban could work a deal right?
Old 10-28-2017, 01:14 AM   #189
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Mirotic wants out of Chicago. Feel like Cuban could work a deal right?
Seems like the type of buy-low deal that we're known for. I like the potential fit with Mirotic since he has potential as a floor spacer at the 4, but he's also a very streaky shooter. That said, I don't think I'd give much up for him... I'd happily unload Powell or maybe Roberts, but beyond that I don't think we have a lot of workable pieces to trade for a $12.5M salary.

Also worth noting he is ineligible for trade until January 15th since he re-signed so late into the offseason. I'm not sure if he or the Bulls would petition for some kind of exception given the circumstances, but it sounds like Portis is much more likely to be moved if it comes to that.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote