Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-24-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Die, VHS, Die!

Die, VHS, Die!
The DVD format takes over the rental market. VidTrac numbers inside.

June 20, 2003 - Sound the fanfares, the battle is turning! According to a Video Software Dealers Association press release today, the DVD format has scored an important victory over the venerable grandpa of movie storage devices, VHS. For the first time in the history of the format, more DVDs were rented in American video rental stores than VHS tapes.
"Home video is the most popular way for Americans to watch movies, rental is the most popular home video option, and now DVD is the most popular rental format," said VSDA President Bo Andersen. "Video renters are attracted to the quality, convenience, and special features of DVD."

VSDA VidTrac numbers show that 28.2 million DVDs were rented during the week ending June 15, 2003, compared to 27.3 million VHS cassettes. Weekly revenues from DVD rentals have been consistently exceeding VHS rentals since March 16 of this year, and last month, year-to-date numbers have surpassed VHS rental revenues as well.

While DVD is now the most popular format in both the home video sales and rental markets, the VHS format isn't going away any time soon. "According to the Consumer Electronics Association, approximately 50 million American homes have a VCR but no DVD player," said VSDA Director of Research Brad Hackley. "That's a very large market, and the home video industry will continue to serve those consumers."

IGN would like to add that those same 50 million homes also don't contain bathrooms and may or may not have wheels.

According to VidTrac data, Americans rented 2.6 billion VHS tapes in 200 versus 168 million DVDs. In 2001, the number of DVD rentals increased to 445 million, while VHS dropped to 2.55 billion. In 2002, the gap narrowed to 2.02 billion tapes versus 915 million DVDs. This year, the DVD format will finally have overtaken the 25-year-old format -- and the moment rental chains start to stock widescreen DVD versions of movies released in multiple aspect ratios, we'll proudly add to those numbers as well.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2003, 03:47 PM   #2
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all
Default Die, VHS, Die!

Yeah, DVD's are definitely my first choice for rental format. Can't beat the picture and the interactivity features are nice. One major thing I think VHS tapes have over DVD's though is that they DON"T GET SCRATCHED and skip all over the place like half the rental DVD's out there. God that drives me nuts...
Old 06-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Die, VHS, Die!

I've got them both. DVD will now forever bitch slap VHS, but I seriously doubt that VHS will die any time soon. There are jsut too dadgum many VCR's out there.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #4
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default RE: Die, VHS, Die!

Whats a VHS?

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:46 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Default Die, VHS, Die!

oh my....
Old 06-24-2003, 05:23 PM   #6
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Die, VHS, Die!

picture quality and letterbox. That's why I go with DVD. It usually costs a bit more, though, so if it's a comedy or drama, I'll go vhs. Sci-Fi and Kung Fu means DVD, though. Always.

DVD's do get messed up a lot easier, though. And blockbuster has this stupid damaged goods refund in which your only option is a free rental of the same movie. Why would anyone want to watch a movie again when they only missed one bad chapter on a DVD? It's enough to ruin a movie, but not enough to rewatch the whole thing. That's why I'm a hollywood video man now. I don't know if they have the same stupid policy, but I'll bitch at that bridge when I get to it.

Can't wait till we can download movies from the internet conveniently.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:37 PM   #7
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Die, VHS, Die!

I like the Blockbuster pre-viewed DVD deals, you can get some seriously cheap movies at practically new quality that way. I'm looking at DVDs for my brother's birthday. I was thinking Fight Club. Anyone know any other good ones?
Old 06-24-2003, 06:06 PM   #8
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road

Until you can record onto a DVD directly from the tv like on VHS, VHS will be around for a while. I love my DVD player but I have to my tape player to record Mavs games etc.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:39 PM   #9
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default Die, VHS, Die!

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavs_afroman
Until you can record onto a DVD directly from the tv like on VHS, VHS will be around for a while. I love my DVD player but I have to my tape player to record Mavs games etc.
Apex ADR1000 Progressive Scan DVD Player, with 40-Hour Digital Video Recording

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:05 PM   #10
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

seriously at least half of the dvds i rent are scratched and skip a lot. but i still prefer dvds over vhs by a lot.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:17 PM   #11
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default Die, VHS, Die!

In germany (at least where I live) you can´t get any VHS tapes for over a year now in the video stores around. All they got is DVD (and a couple very old VHS tapes somewhere in the corner). So I guess we´ve been a little faster on this one.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:48 PM   #12
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default Die, VHS, Die!

europe and asia have always tended to be ahead of the curve on most everything.

fashion, electronics, etc..
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:28 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

actually, i've been buying up some cheap VHS movies for around a couple of dollars...just bought a couple of Lethal Weapons and some other movies last weekend. why? well, why not..it's cheap and they're movies i'd rent once a year or so anyways..maybe i'll eventually record them to dvd..but, for now, i'll just have to go with dvd and vhs
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:26 PM   #14
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Die, VHS, Die!

I go to Wherehouse Music to rent my DVDs. They are just $1 per night - which is great to preview them. If you hate it you're out a buck.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:41 PM   #15
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

wow, that is a good deal, mffl. i hadn't heard about that. what is the selection like?
Old 06-24-2003, 11:21 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Die, VHS, Die!

Decent - they go through a TON of movies so it's hard to catch the "new" title sometimes. But patience is a virtue.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:22 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Default Die, VHS, Die!

Our Warehouse Music just went under and closed up shop. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2003, 11:45 PM   #18
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i don't know if ours is still open. i will have to check it out though because that sounds like a great deal.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:52 PM   #19
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Die, VHS, Die!

Just go to flea market if you wanna buy vhs tapes for a buck. You get a wide selection and I bought movies like MIB, FAMILY MAN for a buck.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:04 AM   #20
MFFL
Guru

Default Die, VHS, Die!

Order Pizza Hut and get a free DVD - Mr. Mom, All Dogs Go To Heaven 2, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, or Honeymoon In Vegas

Old 06-25-2003, 12:07 AM   #21
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

what a quality selection of movies!
Old 06-25-2003, 08:39 AM   #22
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Die, VHS, Die!

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Our Warehouse Music just went under and closed up shop. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
My Peaches Records and Tapes closed up shop; was bought by Sound Warehouse; then was replaced by Blockbuster Music; and finally called Warehouse Music; and now it is gone for good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Oh well, I will always have Best Buy and CD World.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:05 PM   #23
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road
Default Die, VHS, Die!

I still have a Beta and 5-tracks
Old 06-25-2003, 03:17 PM   #24
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I still have a 8 track player. I only have two 8 tracks though, Kenny Rogers the Gambler and The Muppet Movie soundtrack. Sad, but true.