Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-06-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
JamisonJigga

JamisonJigga is on a distinguished road
Default College Football Anyone?

Anyone here follow college football? What are your predictions for the season? Personally, I think the championship game will be Oklahoma vs. Michigan. OU has such a great defense, while Michigan's offense is very tough.
JamisonJigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road
Default RE: College Football Anyone?

The Gooners have to get past my Pokes if they want to win a NC [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Best not to pick any team from the Big 12 south.
With the exception of Baylor that is the toughest half a conf to come out of lossless in the NCAA.

A&M
UT
Tech
OU
OSU

OU and UT have all the hype, but the others are very, very dangerous teams to have to play. My guess is that no one comes through unscathed this year or anytime soon as all these programs are recruiting hard and have great coaches.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:19 PM   #3
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Predictions Chance Mock screws up in a game , and vincent young bails him out. Miami wins it all once again what a game vs. Florida all the drama of probably one of the best college football games this year. Too bad they don't play again until 2008 at a nuetral site. Baylor they will go winless in conference once again, Oklahoma will once again lose to Okystate. And Nebraska comes out of no where to win the big 12. The fighting irish continue to show the magic with so many more close calls , Ty gets coach of the year.

Big 10 Despite Clarett being out Ohio State proves defense wins titles they win the big ten , and once again beat michigan.Colorado comes close to winning the big 12 but lose to nebraska to end its title hopes. Big East Virginia Tech once again makes it look close against Miami but lose once again. WAC This one is easy give me Fresno State Pat Hill always knows how to win the big game. Conference USA TCU five conference titles no reason to think they won't do it again. SEC Florida and Ron Zook show that the Gators are back. North Texas will win the sunbelt and finish in the top ten in overall defense in the nation. SMU shows it once again can't survive on the hill top, but do improve with a .500 record. ACC Fla State is back they win the SEC, NCST., Maryland just look like pretenders.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:40 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Vince Young is a badass. Wow!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:24 AM   #5
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Vince Young is a badass. Wow!
IMO Vince Young will be starting by the 5th week
and UT will win it all if they can beat OU in the cotton bowl, granted thats a big if. But otherwise I don't see anyone else beating them.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:01 AM   #6
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

Prediction:
Whoever is the starter for the ShortHorns will be hated by the fans, because they are so much in love with the stud backup kid who has never played a down before. He will be lauded as the NC winning OU beating QB. Texas fans are much are weird.

Goofy trade proposition:
Maybe OSU should trade our RW and Josh Fields for your RW and Mock when you play OU next year. That way OU will lose twice in the Big 12 south. Then the south title will be decided in Stillwater this year.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:51 AM   #7
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Well, I'm excited to see ND play this year. they seem to have two pretty good tailbacks, and their defense looked good in the second half Saturday.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:40 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

vince young looks like Roy Williams when he's running...he's so fluid. He looks like he's on a different level.

now, can he throw the ball at the college level?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

We certainly don't know that after the New Mexico State game. He choose to run whenever they gave him the option. He did say that's his fall back when he gets nervous. They need to spot him this year. He's a great change of pace QB. Hopefully Mock will be more accurate against the Hogs.

On another not: is Cedric Benson overrated. He was good his freshman year, but since then he has looked lany other back at a major college. The line has had problems, but you're supposed to be an all american candidate. Make somebody miss, run over somebody. His 10 yard run was impressive, but that's about it. I want to see Selwin Young more.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not overly impressed with benson or young...selvin young will fall down if the wind blows too hard in any given direction
Old 09-08-2003, 12:17 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

well, that miami game is awesome. i'm not a fan, but you heard it here first (or maybe not first, but i'm saying it). they will not lose another game this season. that intensity and performance solidified berlin as the man to his teammates. they will win the title.

also, looks like florida is going to have some good years ahead with leak...
Old 09-08-2003, 12:59 PM   #12
Butterball

Butterball is on a distinguished road

I say give Cedric Benson a break. Lets not forget he did rush for over 1000 yds last season, while injured. Give him a break....one bad game, with a jittery O-line, does not constitute him being overrated. Let it play out 2-3 more games before you start bearing down on him.....Selvin Young was awesome against NMST....thats one game against New Mexico Friggin State!!!!!!!.....Lets give Benson the benefit of the doubt...at least for now
would anything be worse than Parcells pulling an Al Roker, getting that stomach-stapling surgery, and looking like a skinny, mutated, shrunken version of himself? I don't think I could handle that emotionally. Some people should just be forced to remain overweight if it fits their persona. I would even make this a law. I feel very strongly about this
Butterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 01:16 PM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not ready to call him overrated yet, but it's a fair question to ask. As far as him reshing for 1000 yards, Texas played 13 games and he was their primary back. He could have run for 77 yards per game and got 1000. You should get 1000 when you get as many carries as he got. The key stat is that he rushed for less than 4 yards per carry.

I don't know that young would be a good every down back, partly for the reasons that Murphy 3 brought up. My point is that he has breakaway speed, and if he gets through the line he call make big plays. If we dont's have the line to grind out yardage (and it's still too early to tell) then we need big plays in the running game do keep defenses honest.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Personally, i think the o-line is ok...i'm just not impressed with either of the two main running backs.

i haven't been impressed with benson since about mid-way through his freshman season. he's just a pretty good college running back. at UT, that doesn't cut it.

it was a joke that some considered him a Heisman hopeful heading into last season.

with selvin young, start grooming him as a scat back, cornerback or a WR. i don't see him having a significant future as a RB.
maybe he can be a pretty good college RB, but if he makes it into the NFL because of his quickness and speed, he definitely has no future as a featured back
Old 09-08-2003, 01:45 PM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Well we're still in the running for Adrian Petterson, the top ranked RB and player in the nation per Rivals. Then again 6 other schools are too. Maybe he'll he our running game struggle and feel he can help us.