Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #41
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Dirk just doesn't believe he can win a championship anymore after so many painful playoff exits. It is almost like he is scared to really give it his all again because of the pain of failing. He seems to just coast many games.

Dirk isn't getting the shots primarily because he is too timid to take the shots. Sure, there are plays that are called for Howard and Terry but there are also many opportunities where the ball is in the German's hands with a decent enough of an opportunity and he pump fakes, gets the guy to bite, steps up, and passes. Why pass there. The Dirk of old shoots that shot and knows it is going in.

This is in his head guys and I don't know if it will ever be fixed.

The window for this team to win a championship has closed if that problem doesn't go away, barring a major trade.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 12-06-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #42
VivaNajera
Golden Member

VivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
I call him the 4th best player. Howard, Jet, Harris, then Dirk!!!! I am not being too serious on that, but I feel that way too many times.
you forgot to include Bass so Dirk drops to 5
VivaNajera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #43
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Mavs problem is Avery's game day decisions. He needs to 1.) run more plays through Dirk, 2.) Actually put our defensive stoppers (hassell)in the game when someone like Manu is on fire. 3.) Let Devin play thru games until he figures it out instead of benching him when he starts out with a bad game. 4.) Start Brandon Bass and put Josh Howard at the 2. 5.) Don't let the other team dictate our game!!!! Duncan was out, Damp should have played a lot of minutes! Manu certainly wouldn't have been going in for slams with Damp in there.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #44
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
Maybe Dirk just doesn't believe he can win a championship anymore after so many painful playoff exits. It is almost like he is scared to really give it his all again because of the pain of failing. He seems to just coast many games.

Dirk isn't getting the shots primarily because he is too timid to take the shots. Sure, there are plays that are called for Howard and Terry but there are also many opportunities where the ball is in the German's hands with a decent enough of an opportunity and he pump fakes, gets the guy to bite, steps up, and passes. Why pass there. The Dirk of old shoots that shot and knows it is going in.

The window for this team to win a championship has closed if that problem doesn't go away, barring a major trade.
This I don't buy. I think it's obvious that Dirk is doing exactly what he's been asked to do, which is defer to his teammates more. The reason I don't buy this is because when Dirk has been asked to score this season, he's been more aggressive than ever with his drives to the basket, working to get into the lane, etc.

So I don't buy that it's Dirk coasting at all. Now, he does seem to have a lot less fire in his belly. But this whole team does. I think it's a product of their approach.

He's not playing well at all. Not even close to what he's capable of. But I don't think he's coasting, his lack of agression is something that has been asked for by Avery, I think.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #45
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i don't really have anything to say, i just wanted to make a comment.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #46
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Yea Josh is a #2 option in this league. The perfect #2. You can't rely on him to put the team on his back due to how ineffective he is in the 2nd half of games. Building this team around Josh would be mistake Avery has ever made as coach.
Its a shame that Josh is the best option for Avery. If Avery were able to groom Howard into the perfect Pippen, while Dirk does his best to be MJ type. But, the fact remains that Avery has his hands tied since, Dirk has decided to be a Pippen type himself. We have a team with two Pippen's. Last time I checked, Pippen never did anything w/o MJ. In the end, Avery is gone. I have said it many times. It will come down to Avery or Dirk. I see it coming. I feel so sad for Avery, because he is a great coach. I feel for Dirk, because it seems he is just lost, confused and decided to hid.

Maybe Dirk needs a fresh start in a new place, kinda like what happened to Nash. I think that LA is a good place to start for Dirk. Dirk would be in the spotlight like never before, and I think LA would enbrace him, and maybe it can re-store him. Here in Dallas, it seems right now that he has decided to be Pippen.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #47
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Oh, also, why the HECK does Avery play STACKHOUSE over 30 minutes?????? and play devin less than that?
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #48
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
This I don't buy. I think it's obvious that Dirk is doing exactly what he's been asked to do, which is defer to his teammates more. The reason I don't buy this is because when Dirk has been asked to score this season, he's been more aggressive than ever with his drives to the basket, working to get into the lane, etc.

So I don't buy that it's Dirk coasting at all. Now, he does seem to have a lot less fire in his belly. But this whole team does. I think it's a product of their approach.

He's not playing well at all. Not even close to what he's capable of. But I don't think he's coasting, his lack of agression is something that has been asked for by Avery, I think.
I couldn't disagree more.

Sure, he has been asked to get his teammates involved more and raise his assist numbers, but so has Josh. Hell, Avery is expecting 6 assists per game from him - more than from Dirk. Is that stopping Josh from putting it up 20 per game? Dirk is playing timid and seems scared to take a lot of shots. I do not think Avery wants him to play like a pussy if that is what you are suggesting, because that is definitely how he has played many games this year. Stop trying to shine a turd; you will find more layers of poo underneath.

Step up Dirk and put this team on your back like we know you can.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #49
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaNajera
you forgot to include Bass so Dirk drops to 5
I forgot all about that But, I kinda lump Bass with Dirk, since both play the same position.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #50
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:

Sure, he has been asked to get his teammates involved more and raise his assist numbers, but so has Josh. Hell, Avery is expecting 6 assists per game from him - more than from Dirk. Is that stopping Josh from putting it up 20 per game? Dirk is playing timid and seems scared to take a lot of shots. I do not think Avery wants him to play like a pussy if that is what you are suggesting, because that is definitely how he has played many games this year. Stop trying to shine a turd; you will find more layers of poo underneath.

I could not agree more..

If Dirk decides to step and carry this team, then he will figure out he does not have much to carry. Problem is that he does not carry the team, and Howard and Jet figures out that there is too much to carry. Sounds crazy, but I think that is real.

If Dirk decides to dominate, he has plenty of players around him to help him out. This is a perfect situation for Dirk, because he can help carry a team that is already carrying itself w/o a dominate Dirk..Simple as that.

Tonight MAY be ugly and the crowd may get out of hand. I truly believe Melo is going to score 40 pts tonight, while AI goes for 30 pts. UNLESS, Dirk decides to step up and match their intensity, while the rest of his team follows him. If Dirk steps up, then Avery can focus on defense with Hassel type of players. Right now, Avery has to find a way to score. That means 16 seconds for Hassel.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #51
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Come on, think about what you are saying. Do you really expect a 7 footer to take the ball at the 3point line and drive around a point guard?? It's ridiculous.

Nor COULD a 7footer on the wing dribble through a double team.

Nor SHOULD anyone take shots when they are being double-teamed, it's bad basketball.

So either dirk needs to be put into a position where he is singled up against a guy his size or he's placed closer to the basket so that he can just shoot over the guy. Teams used to try and play dirk straight up and then wait for him in the lane. Now they double him immediately and force the ball out of his hands. We don't have 3pt shooters on this team worth a damn but a bunch of folks who make their own shots.
So when dirk kicks it out (unless it's to jason) it becomes another pass around the horn or a bricked shot.

It seems to be a fundamentally flawed offense. Even if Dirk WERE Tim Duncan, Josh/Stack/Devin would be clanking three pointers instead of making them at the high clip that the spurs do.

We have not figured out how to:
- Get the ball to dirk with a single player for a shot, unless it's at the 3point line.
- Make the team pay for doubling him. (This seems to be the biggest problem).
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #52
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't buy it. You are comparing a 7footer with a 6'7 swingman. If dirk was as quick as josh or had his handles he could jack up 20 points a game as well. He could dribble away from the double team..He is NOT A SWINGMAN. He just has swingman skills when facing other bigs.

If dirk was jacking up 20 shots a game fully 25% or more would be against a double team or thrown up quicker before the double got there.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #53
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Sorry, don't buy it. Avery wanting Josh to raise his assist numbers is coach speak. This offense is not designed for Josh to get assists.

I agree that Dirk looks timid at times, but I think that's from him not feeling comfortable in this system. He doesn't know whether he should shoot or pass at times, because it's being preached to him that he needs to distribute more.

Seeing Dirk drive to the basket like he has is al the proof I need to know that he's not coasting. He's trying his best to do what is asked of him. He's not doing it well, at all. But it's not because he's not trying.

Dude is right on the money in talking about where Dirk gets the ball. When Tony Parker is guarding Dirk, and they're bringing a double team every time, Dirk should be on the blocks. Period. I've talked about how Dirk is not fighting for position on the blocks, but I feel pretty confident that he could get it on Tony freaking Parker.

Him not being on the blocks and closer to the basket last night was a coaching decision. And a stupid one.

Don't get me wrong. Dirk is not playing well. But it's not all on him. And he's not coasting.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #54
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Come on, think about what you are saying. Do you really expect a 7 footer to take the ball at the 3point line and drive around a point guard?? It's ridiculous.

Dude, what are you talking about, my example? I just used that specific example because I have seen it several times recently not because that is how I expect him to score all of his points. You are smarter than that man...

Again, when did I say anything about driving through a double team? Please tell me where man? I said he should step up and SHOOT when he gets the guy in the air, which happens A LOT. That was one example though. Another is him catching the ball and waiting for the double to come prior to PASSING. He needs to catch and move. Catch and drive and get fouled by the guy coming to double. Catch and shoot rather than waiting. HE IS NOT BEING AGGRESSIVE - THIS ISN'T HARD TO SEEDUDE!

Nor SHOULD anyone take shots when they are being double-teamed, it's bad basketball.

Sigh... Read above

So either dirk needs to be put into a position where he is singled up against a guy his size or he's placed closer to the basket so that he can just shoot over the guy. Teams used to try and play dirk straight up and then wait for him in the lane. Now they double him immediately and force the ball out of his hands. We don't have 3pt shooters on this team worth a damn but a bunch of folks who make their own shots.
So when dirk kicks it out (unless it's to jason) it becomes another pass around the horn or a bricked shot.

Yeah, Dirk is being played differently and for this team's sake he needs to figure out how to be effective under that scenario. Part of that is Avery, sure, but I am not an idiot that thinks that this team's sole issue is defense, (sorry Flac), or Avery. Dirk hasn't been Dirk since late last season and his ass needs to step up. I love the guy and will if he never brings us a ring but he is playing timid, scared, and he needs to get that fire in his eyes like we have all seen him do. I know his shot isn't falling and his confidence is low, but he is a rhythm shooter so he needs to friggin shoot. Trust me, a double can NOT get there fast enough if he catches, turns, and shoots his patented fade away jumpshot. They simply can't. So make excuses all you want. Pass blame all you want. But a GREAT DEAL of this falls on the shoulders of our only real superstar.

It seems to be a fundamentally flawed offense. Even if Dirk WERE Tim Duncan, Josh/Stack/Devin would be clanking three pointers instead of making them at the high clip that the spurs do.

Sure, consistent 3pt threats would lessen the amount of double teams Dirk gets, but he could still be more aggressive and beat the double-team. He could also re-post and demand the ball like we have seen him do many times in the past.

- Get the ball to dirk with a single player for a shot, unless it's at the 3point line.

Dirk gets the ball plenty with a double coming to him and without. It isn't like he gets doubled every single time he touches the ball - surely you aren't suggesting that. This offense is definitely flawed and Avery could help this more but Dirk is the primary one to blame IMO. He is the leader of this team, whether he wants to be or not. We have too much talent to be 12-7.
See posts above.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #55
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

The vast majority of Dirk's touches last night occured with him standing on the three point line at about the elbow extended, or a little higher.

You want him to turn and shoot a fadeaway from there? Come on.

If he's catching it on the blocks or the elbow I can see that argument. But that wasn't happening last night.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #56
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
The vast majority of Dirk's touches last night occured with him standing on the three point line at about the elbow extended, or a little higher.

You want him to turn and shoot a fadeaway from there? Come on.

If he's catching it on the blocks or the elbow I can see that argument. But that wasn't happening last night.
Forgive me for actually talking about all 19 of our games as opposed to just one Thig... I will try to remember that when I speak in a thread not titled Game Day Thread that I still have to remind you when I am referring to one game vs. the entire lot of them.

Yeah, last night he did catch the ball a lot at the 3-pt. line, but not all of the time. I would be happy to go back and count the amount of times he caught the ball inside the 3-pt. line and didn't shoot if you would like.

You come on. Don't be fucking stupid. Of course I am not talking about him doing that there.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #57
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
See posts above.
Dan I was responding to this post:
Quote:
Dirk is playing timid and seems scared to take a lot of shots. I do not think Avery wants him to play like a pussy if that is what you are suggesting, because that is definitely how he has played many games this year. Stop trying to shine a turd; you will find more layers of poo underneath.

With reasonings about why what you are saying "step up Dirk and put this team on your back like we know you can" statement with counter-arguments why it's not that easy. Never said that you said those things, but you should have thought them.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #58
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BTW, Dirk is currently averaging essetentially the same amount of FT attempts that he did all of last season.

He's only averaging two less shots than he did last season. And last season he averaged two less shots than the season before that. Was he not being aggressive last year?

Again, I think he's playing bad, and he does look timid AT TIMES. But he is not coasting. He's getting the same amound of FT attempts this season with fewer FG attempts.

And he's getting doubled more this season than at any point in his career. The aggressive argument doesn't hold any water imo.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #59
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, last night he did catch the ball a lot at the 3-pt. line, but not all of the time. I would be happy to go back and count the amount of times he caught the ball inside the 3-pt. line and didn't shoot if you would like.

You come on. Don't be f****** stupid(like Male26Dan). Of course I am not talking about him doing that there.
Don't be an ass. Dirk got 1 shot that was closer than the foul line last night, even though parker was the one switching on him. 1.

But I guess he's supposed to back parker down from outside the ft line.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #60
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

How does Dirk scoring a few more times, and subsequently, Bass and Terry a few less, equate to stopping Ginobili last night? 95 points should be more than enough to beat the spurs. The prevailing attitude around here seems to be that we need to score more rather than defend more. I thought we were done with that? Would you rather Mike, Dan, and Tony coach the team?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #61
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Forgive me for actually talking about all 19 of our games as opposed to just one Thig... I will try to remember that when I speak in a thread not titled Game Day Thread that I still have to remind you when I am referring to one game vs. the entire lot of them.

You come on. Don't be fucking stupid. Of course I am not talking about him doing that there.
Ok, I've seen every game this season. And maybe we just have vastly different memories. But when Dirk catches the ball in a good position, at the elbow extended or at the high blocks, I think he's been pretty aggressive during most games. When he catches way out high is when he waits for the double team.

I think the fact that Dirk is still averaging 15 shots a game with the dramatic change in our offensive philophy and the degree to which he's been double teamed this season shows that he's still trying to be aggressive within the framework of the offense most nights.

But, he's just not playing very well. That, to me, is the bottom line.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #62
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
How does Dirk scoring a few more times, and subsequently, Bass and Terry a few less, equate to stopping Ginobili last night? 95 points should be more than enough to beat the spurs. The prevailing attitude around here seems to be that we need to score more rather than defend more. I thought we were done with that? Would you rather Mike, Dan, and Tony coach the team?
Yes, this is getting lost in all this Dirk talk.

The defense is problem #1. That's easily the biggest difference between last season and this season to this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #63
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dan I was responding to this post:

With reasonings about why what you are saying "step up Dirk and put this team on your back like we know you can" statement with counter-arguments why it's not that easy. Never said that you said those things, but you should have thought them.
No I shouldn't have, because that is not what I expect him to do. I know his game has limitations and he can't just become superman and move faster, but there are ways to beat double-teams. Sure, making teams pay is a huge way, but if you can't do that and they aren't camping out on him he can catch the ball, turn, and shoot or he can aggressively request a repost.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #64
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Rep...Fending off the perennial dirk-bashing that goes on in this town takes all of my energy.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #65
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
No I shouldn't have, because that is not what I expect him to do. I know his game has limitations and he can't just become superman and move faster, but there are ways to beat double-teams. Sure, making teams pay is a huge way, but if you can't do that and they aren't camping out on him he can catch the ball, turn, and shoot or he can aggressively request a repost.
A repost at the 3pt line or 20 feet? For some reason the mavs have decided to QUIT posting dirk. He was posting the first 5 games or so, but since then nada. I haven't seen it worth a durn.

I don't know if it's devin's play-calling or what, but it is NOT happening.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #66
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Remember how great Najera was at dive cutting to the rim? Or Josh during his rookie year? Marquis? if we don't have cutters, Dirk will never beat a double team the way the team should allow him to. Avery is just coaching bad offensive basketball right now. Dirk should be averaging a hefty number of assists the way he's being doubled this year. However, we have players who a) can't make a outside shot to save their lives (stack) or b) decide not to move and give him passing angles when Dirk has the ball

great teams. great players. They make opponents pay for double teaming--under Avery, Dirk just isn't that guy. Sure, the entire team should shoulder blame--but as the head coach and the superstar (leader), you guys must step up.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #67
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
BTW, Dirk is currently averaging essetentially the same amount of FT attempts that he did all of last season.

He's only averaging two less shots than he did last season. And last season he averaged two less shots than the season before that. Was he not being aggressive last year?

Again, I think he's playing bad, and he does look timid AT TIMES. But he is not coasting. He's getting the same amound of FT attempts this season with fewer FG attempts.

And he's getting doubled more this season than at any point in his career. The aggressive argument doesn't hold any water imo.
I guess I mean agression with his shot more so than overall aggression. Yes, he is still attacking the rim but he is not allowing himself to find a rhythm with his jumpshot. You think it is because Avery has told him DONT SHOOT - ATTACK THE BASKET. I think it is because he is Fed up in the head right now and has no confidence. So when he is in shooting situations he doesn't force anything and when he is in driving situations he does, often leading to blocked shots and 5 second staring matches at the refs while the other team runs down the court playing 5 on 4.

Dirk is a shooter and he needs to shoot the ball more to be effective. Sure, getting to the line and driving has its purposes too, and he was really good at that a couple of years ago and still darn good the past two years but he just doesn't get the calls consistently so I am just constantly begging him to make them hurt him with his shot.

Do you remember those 4 3s in that game. While not necessarily 3s, he used to do that all the time. Just catch and shoot and swish. How often do you see him make 3 or 4 straight shots these days.

It is just really frustrating as such a huge fan of his to see him playing this way and letting the double-teams define his production rather than getting in position, catching, and shooting.

Maybe he isn't coasting, but his lack of shooter's agression gives me that feeling.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #68
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

The funny thing is..... right now the offense is run through Howard, yet Dirk is taking the blame for it.

Guys - Dirk is doing what he is suppose to be doing right now. He is working on passing out of double teams. Josh is doing what he is being asked right now -- trying to take over on the offensive end. Devin is doing what he is asked right now, trying to get to the rim. They are implementing a new passing offense that is trying to get more people involved, including the centers. They are also trying to integrate an athletic inside guy in Bass - although I don't like the fact he is shooting so many jumpers, even if they are going in right now at a high percentage.

They presently are not defending really any position well. The pick n roll defense is questionable at best. They are switching everywhere, and are a sieve for slashing guards. You stop that with a shotblocker, who Avery can't keep in the game because teams go small, and they produce nothing on the offensive end, slipping the picks (forcing the jumper to beat you), or zone. Just a NOTE: the defense sucks right now.

Get a two-way player to play alongside Howard, and everything opens back up. Terry is 6th man. I would rather they start Stack, and him be the 4th offensive option that for them to start Terry, so the other team automatically goes to the rim. Avery also needs to run the offense back through Dirk, and allow him to use his skills to hit a cutting Josh, not feed Josh, and let him go one on one. Josh can play either role, but if Dirk doesn't get more involved, then you are going to have losses.

Most are complaining about Dirk, but he is not looking immediately for his shot like he used too. That is due to the new offense, and what he is being asked to do. Time is needed for then to learn, and setbacks can be expected.

IMO, Dallas needs to start focusing more on defense, keep going with the Josh as batman for about another 10-15 games -- then go back to Dirk, and if they can trade for a two-way SG/SF that could put them over the top.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #69
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
No you are right Flac... Sorry. Team's only issue is on D. Right you are. Now find a way to say something else clever regarding "No Kobe" or "Defense Wins".
Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #70
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I guess I mean agression with his shot more so than overall aggression. Yes, he is still attacking the rim but he is not allowing himself to find a rhythm with his jumpshot. You think it is because Avery has told him DONT SHOOT - ATTACK THE BASKET. I think it is because he is Fed up in the head right now and has no confidence. So when he is in shooting situations he doesn't force anything and when he is in driving situations he does, often leading to blocked shots and 5 second staring matches at the refs while the other team runs down the court playing 5 on 4.

Dirk is a shooter and he needs to shoot the ball more to be effective. Sure, getting to the line and driving has its purposes too, and he was really good at that a couple of years ago and still darn good the past two years but he just doesn't get the calls consistently so I am just constantly begging him to make them hurt him with his shot.

Do you remember those 4 3s in that game. While not necessarily 3s, he used to do that all the time. Just catch and shoot and swish. How often do you see him make 3 or 4 straight shots these days.

It is just really frustrating as such a huge fan of his to see him playing this way and letting the double-teams define his production rather than getting in position, catching, and shooting.

Maybe he isn't coasting, but his lack of shooter's agression gives me that feeling.
I agree with a lot of this. I just think that it has a lot more to do with Avery and the offense he is trying to run this season than it does with Dirk.

It's still on Dirk to figure out how to play his best in this new system, but I just don't think it's Dirk deciding to change the way he plays.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #71
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
A repost at the 3pt line or 20 feet? For some reason the mavs have decided to QUIT posting dirk. He was posting the first 5 games or so, but since then nada. I haven't seen it worth a durn.

I don't know if it's devin's play-calling or what, but it is NOT happening.
This season there is only one person on the floor calling the plays. His name is Harris. And do we all wonder why Avery is so mad at Harris? Floor leadership is something I have already questioned with Harris. Looks like we will have to go back to Avery calling most of the plays again, since PG play is lacking on guiding this team on the floor. I am not giving Dirk an excuse, because we all know that Superstars can get the ball whenever they want. Problem is that Dirk does NOT want the ball whenever he wants.

I have heard about a Superstar not getting the ball when he wants it for an entire game. Maybe on a couple of plays, but clearly you can SEE/HEAR him demanding the ball when he wants it. Dirk is NOT only not DEMANDING the ball, he is NOT even ASKING for the ball.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #72
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No you are right Flac... Sorry. Team's only issue is on D. Right you are. Now find a way to say something else clever regarding "No Kobe" or "Defense Wins".

Fries with that?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #73
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:

Fries with that?
Good job.

Surely someone on this board can give this man some rep for his lone talent here...
Old 12-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #74
Silk Smoov
Banned

OK, that was extremely funny..LMAO!!! LMAO!!! LMAO!!

But one thing is for sure. I will take that guy over EVERY player in the NBA.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #75
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Good job.

Surely someone on this board can give this man some rep for his lone talent here...
I'm sorry I tried to make a basketball point, that was immediately dismissed by you. I'll go back to The Lounge and play with myself.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #76
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm sorry I tried to make a basketball point, that was immediately dismissed by you. I'll go back to The Lounge and play with myself.
Flac, you say the same things every time you post. The same tired things. I personally understand we need to work on our D, but maybe you can say it again just to remind me and the rest of the board.

So no, I didn't dismiss it, but I can probably find you saying it in every single game day thread this year. WE GET IT! Just like with the Kobe thing, I could tell you 20 different ways he could help and your opinion stayed the same. Now I can give you a way we could improve our team aside from D, but still D is the only problem.

So yeah, BACK, BACK, LOUNGE will get you there I think.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #77
Silk Smoov
Banned

How can I post this one?

http://www.seancoon.org/wp-content/p...tzki_drunk.jpg

or this one?

http://www.speakwell.com/well/2002_s...monanddirk.jpg

Or this one?

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/arch..._D_184268c.jpg

Or better yet this one?

http://static.flickr.com/56/148373079_1011c191d9.jpg

What about this one?

http://sports.gearlive.com/blogimage...nd_Boykins.jpg

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 12-06-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #78
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Flac, you say the same things every time you post. The same tired things. I personally understand we need to work on our D, but maybe you can say it again just to remind me and the rest of the board.

So no, I didn't dismiss it, but I can probably find you saying it in every single game day thread this year. WE GET IT! Just like with the Kobe thing, I could tell you 20 different ways he could help and your opinion stayed the same. Now I can give you a way we could improve our team aside from D, but still D is the only problem.

So yeah, BACK, BACK, LOUNGE will get you there I think.
Not until you can tell me how Dirk scoring 27 of the 95 rather than 15 of the 95 would've helped slow down manu ginobili last night, or deny Peja the ball? Or stop baron davis?

I just don't get it. It doesn't' matter how many dirk scores, as long as the team is near a hundred, they should win, no excuses.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #79
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not until you can tell me how Dirk scoring 27 of the 95 rather than 15 of the 95 would've helped slow down manu ginobili last night, or deny Peja the ball? Or stop baron davis?

I just don't get it. It doesn't' matter how many dirk scores, as long as the team is near a hundred, they should win, no excuses.
Apparently you don't believe the PER numbers for Dirk over his career and think a shot from him is the same as a shot from [insert Mavericks player here].

Thats all I really need to know about your opinion on all things Dallas Mavs.

Again, I know the D should be able to stop teams from scoring at will; however, if they can't there are still ways to win. Dirk stepping up and scoring much more effectively than anyone else on the team can is definitely one way Flac.

I know it is hard for you sometimes to do it, but you can look at multiple issues and talk about more than one. More than one problem can also lead to a loss, as opposed to just one. For example, we could have scored, wait for it, 98.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #80
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Remember how great Najera was at dive cutting to the rim? Or Josh during his rookie year? Marquis? if we don't have cutters, Dirk will never beat a double team the way the team should allow him to. Avery is just coaching bad offensive basketball right now. Dirk should be averaging a hefty number of assists the way he's being doubled this year. However, we have players who a) can't make a outside shot to save their lives (stack) or b) decide not to move and give him passing angles when Dirk has the ball

great teams. great players. They make opponents pay for double teaming--under Avery, Dirk just isn't that guy. Sure, the entire team should shoulder blame--but as the head coach and the superstar (leader), you guys must step up.
I do recall that, I've even recalled a few times when dirk has hit devin as a cutter. In fact he usually does hit those cutters..

But this seems a little contradictory. How does dirk make those passes when the team doesn't have cutters?

Tags
dirk