Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Greg Buckner Rumor-ESPN

Seven Teams Eye Buckner
Jul 6 - The Denver Post reports Steve Kauffman, agent for Nuggets free-agent Greg Buckner, counted Dallas and Miami, as well as Denver, among seven teams courting his client.

Getting him would make absolutely no sense to me. We might as well just sign Griffin if we're actually interested.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Bucknor is both younger than Griff, and a better shooter.

I can see him in a Dallas uni, only if the Mike James stuff falls through. Makes lots of sense though, if James signs in Houston.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love it if Uncle Buck came back to big D, but I don't see where he fits in with a team that is splitting offensive two-guard minutes amongst Josh, Maurice, and Jerry (not to mention the possibility that we have JET, possibly James, and KJ jr cutting into those same minutes)...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 07-06-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Replacement for the stumblebum. Better D than Griff.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Sounds good... let the opposing teams' queers get prepared for the butt Bucknerization that would soon come...
Old 07-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

He is like Maurice Ager except with no upside. Ager is also listed as a much better rebounder. I can't see Avery being happy with his pourous rebounding skills. He played well in the playoffs but that screamed contract to me.

If Mike James falls through, there still won't be anytime for him to play. I'd give time to Ager, Stack, Howard, Terry at the 2-3 positions over him. If he's cheap then whatever I guess.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Quote:
The Denver Post reports Steve Kauffman, agent for Nuggets free-agent Greg Buckner, counted Dallas and Miami, as well as Denver, among seven teams courting his client.
Yeah that doesn't scream attn please, my client needs a contract, at all..
Old 07-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Anything above the vet minimum screams contract to me. I watched every game that guy played for us. He is just an injury prone spare. Wonderful that he can shoot the three, but with Ager and Croshere already pluggin that hole even further, just seems more logical to bring back Grif for pennies if he costs anything more then the vet.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Just like every baseball agent says the Yankees are interested in his client. It's all about trying to increase your clients' perceived market value. "Dallas and Miami are interested, and they were both in the Finals last year--imagine how much my client will help your team next year--and it'll only cost you the full MLE. Don't you want to go to the Finals?"
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather keep Griffin at this point.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely rather have Buckner. He's better across the board if you ask me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontoad
Sounds good... let the opposing teams' queers get prepared for the butt Bucknerization that would soon come...
Hahaha...

Bring Buck Back!

Hopefully his value's not too inflated from getting so many minutes in SG-starved Denver- I love what he brings but I don't think he really quite deserves a full MLE. If we can get him cheap, bring him aboard. He'd be redundant here but honestly I've never felt comfortable watching him in anything other than a Mavs uni... Plus he and Griff have so much catching up to do. Now if we can just reacquire Eddie Najera, Johnny Newman, and Bastard Raja...
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #13
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

If there is one thing I've learned about the Mavs front-office, it's that if we hear a trade rumor, it's almost guaranteed to *not* happen.

Donnie runs a tight ship.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #14
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I love Buck. I would rather have Buck than Griff or Rawle. He'll come cheap. Plays EXCELLENT defense. And can nail 3's. Basically...he's an upgrade.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #15
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I would definitely rather have Buckner. He's better across the board if you ask me.
I agree completely.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #16
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

Looking at Buck is perhaps a sign the James thing isn't gonna happen.
mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd
Looking at Buck is perhaps a sign the James thing isn't gonna happen.
I doubt it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #18
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I don't see why the Mavs couldn't sign both Buckner and Griffin or neither. They do have options. This isn't a mutually exclusive business. Get one so you can't have the other. Solid veterans to man the bench isn't a bad thing when you are trying to win a championship. Neither player are elite but you do know what you are going to get from them every time they take the floor. You can't say enough about how important that is.

Last edited by GP; 07-06-2006 at 11:29 AM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Buckner and Griffin are too repetitive to have both of them. There is no need for both of them.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #20
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I say we sign them both: we get experience and tough gritty defense. It would also give us some protection if one were to become injured.

I would much rather do this than sign the hot-head spare who is known as Mike James.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

20 ppg 6 assist a spare? You can call Mike James overrated but he has proven he is not a spare but playing hard and tough on every team he has been on. You can have any opinion of James you want but calling him a spare is stretching it on the negative end.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #22
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Who called mike james a spare, DevinHarriswillstart?

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #23
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah-vit-ski
Who called mike james a spare, DevinHarriswillstart?
One post up dude. Need to work on those reading skills.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #24
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Damn, i think i looked at every post except that one......anyway, it would be nice to have a james posey/raja bell type player who is a hard defender and can shoot the 3,but he is kinda injury prone......

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #25
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Bring those freaking calves to D-town!! They are bigger than most peoples thighs.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #26
bsmit

bsmit is on a distinguished road

DB.com brings up a good point. Right now Dallas has 13 active players on the roster. If James signs thats 14 and the Mavs will most likely decide between DA and Griff. Most likely Griff. For me the only upgrade would be Buckner is a better outside shooter but I dont think that is enough for the Mavs to let go of Griff and sign Buckner. James signs, Griff re-signs and there is your roster.
Everyone makes fun of the flopping (in soccer), it's hideous... It's the one thing that will ever keep soccer from becoming a bona fide force in this country. Americans won't stomach such dishonesty. We see right through it. No way Dwyane Wade pulls that crap; we'd never allow it. OK, bad example.
-Bill Simmons, my new hero
bsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #27
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I think this is one of those instances where a agent is using the Mavericks as a bargaining chip. I'd take him as a backup 3. If he was to sign with us today he'd automatically be our best perimeter defender so he definately fits a need.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #28
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I love griff...but he doesn't have the range we need. We need a defensive stopper type who can also hit big 3's. Someone like Raja, Bowen, Posey, etc...I think Buckner can fill that role. And, perhaps, given that we are fairly deep at the 2/3 he probably won't be as susceptible to injury.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #29
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
I love griff...but he doesn't have the range we need. We need a defensive stopper type who can also hit big 3's. Someone like Raja, Bowen, Posey, etc...I think Buckner can fill that role. And, perhaps, given that we are fairly deep at the 2/3 he probably won't be as susceptible to injury.
Word.

I vote Buckner.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #30
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I'd LOVE to have Buckner here. A real tough SOB.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #31
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no doubt.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #32
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Buckner is an upgrade over Griff. I don't think this means the Mike James thing has fallen through at all.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #33
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

We're one of seven teams that have inquired?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #34
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
We're one of seven teams that have inquired?
Agents always stretch the truth

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #35
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yep. I'd prefer Buckner to Griff any day.

Of course I wouldn't mind having both - Griff woulb be an extra insurance policy.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #36
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Yep. I'd prefer Buckner to Griff any day.

Of course I wouldn't mind having both - Griff woulb be an extra insurance policy.
do we have space for both?

harris
terry
Stack
Ager
howard
griff
buckner
dirk
Austin C.
Powell
Diop
Damp
DJ
(No DA or KVH)

that 13 right there...and thats assuming we do nothing else in free agency

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #37
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

P-Pod makes 14. That leaves one more slot for DA or Marshall or the unidentified FA.

Last edited by MFFL; 07-06-2006 at 04:04 PM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #38
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I love me some griff.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #39
Strokepod

Strokepod is on a distinguished road

would you want this player on your team?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12111041_31a7d3eddf_m.jpg (13.8 KB, 54 views)
Strokepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #40
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Compelling argument Strokepod. I do hate that Argentinian.