Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Mike James meets with Mavs coach

Mike James meets with Mavs coach

08:31 PM CDT on Monday, July 10, 2006
By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

Avery Johnson met with Mike James on Monday in Las Vegas as the Mavericks continue to woo the free-agent guard.

Sarah Melton, media-relations director for the Mavericks, said James met with owner Mark Cuban last week and met privately with Johnson before the Mavericks played Houston in a Vegas Summer League game.

James averaged a career-high 20.3 points and 5.8 assists in 79 games last season for Toronto. He also has received interest from Houston, where he spent part of the 2004-05 season, and Minnesota.

Mavericks/NBA
Mike James meets with Mavs coach

Bios, stats: James

NBA Summer League sites

More Mavericks
In five seasons, James (6-2, 188 pounds) has played for six teams: Miami, Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Houston and Toronto. His career average is 11.9 points. Instead of attempting to re-sign James, the Raptors traded for UT-ex T.J. Ford.

The agent for 6-8 forward Darius Songaila said the Mavericks also have talked with his client. Songaila averaged 9.2 points and 4.0 rebounds for Chicago last season, but the Mavericks' interest may be tempered after acquiring Austin Croshere in a trade from Indiana for Marquis Daniels. Songaila and Josh Howard were teammates at Wake Forest.

The NBA signing period begins Wednesday. The Mavericks already have reached an agreement with guard Jason Terry on a six-year deal worth slightly more than $50 million.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

There aren't quite as many secrets anymore in this day and age, are there? I was particularly struck by that in following this year's draft. The pattern has continued in the free-agency season. Information flows much more quickly these days.

One wonders what impact the knowledge of Cuban and Johnson wooing James would have on Terry and/or Harris, if the Mavs failed in their quest to nab the sharp-shooting guard. One wonders how the fans would feel to see the Mavs so publicly lose a recruiting war.

Not that the latter matters, really. But you do wonder about the former.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

it will get spun either way.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well you just can't help it can you. If you don't pursue the guy then you aren't doing yourselves any favors, if you do and he turns you down, well you gotta take a shot.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:14 AM   #5
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
One wonders what impact the knowledge of Cuban and Johnson wooing James would have on Terry and/or Harris, if the Mavs failed in their quest to nab the sharp-shooting guard. One wonders how the fans would feel to see the Mavs so publicly lose a recruiting war.

I think it might worry them more hade the Mavs not just dumped Quis. clearly they want to upgrade the 3rd guard and have a dependable shooter there. It might make Harris wonder if he will start. But he hardly started any last season, and heknows his production is iffy, so I don't think his expectations are all that high any way, as he knows Terry is still the likely started at point.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Devin imo has had two seasons and it's about time he become more consistent. If he'd have been able to consistently hit a 15 footer there is not doubt that we'd be champs now.

He needs to get his but in the gym, playing times not going to help his jumper imo.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure he is working on his shot. He better be if he wants to become a starter in this league.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

he needs more ways to finish around the rim too. He has some of the same skills as AI, but AI has incredible versatility finishing around the rim even around shotblockers.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
There aren't quite as many secrets anymore in this day and age, are there? I was particularly struck by that in following this year's draft. The pattern has continued in the free-agency season. Information flows much more quickly these days.

I doubt anybody in the front office loses sleep over this. Much like Bill Parcells, Avery Johnson is in the talent acquisition business. As such, JT and Devin are not only competing with the other players in the room, they're competing with every player he thinks he can get his hands on at their position.

I'm sure that sentiment will be echoed in a couple of weeks here as we head to California.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
he needs more ways to finish around the rim too. He has some of the same skills as AI, but AI has incredible versatility finishing around the rim even around shotblockers.
It would help if he had a left hand. I think a big percentages of his misses around the basket are a result of him trying to finish with the right on the left side of the basket. He's bringing the ball right to the shot blocker.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #11
One_Good_Shoe

One_Good_Shoe will become famous soon enough

hmmm, Im I the only person who wonders what Devin could bring us via trade? Maybe now would be the time to explore. If the Mavs could add James, could the Mavs get something of consiquince for a young pg with upside? Im on the fence on Devin. He looks brilliant in one game & looks like Khalid Reeves the next. Im willing to chalk it up to "growing pains" for one more year. Not sure what he could net you, just thinking out loud.
One_Good_Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:29 AM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Good_Shoe
hmmm, Im I the only person who wonders what Devin could bring us via trade? Maybe now would be the time to explore. If the Mavs could add James, could the Mavs get something of consiquince for a young pg with upside? Im on the fence on Devin. He looks brilliant in one game & looks like Khalid Reeves the next. Im willing to chalk it up to "growing pains" for one more year. Not sure what he could net you, just thinking out loud.
I think we could get a lot for him, but I think the Mavs are going to stick with him. He can be an all-star once he can hit that 15 footer consistently.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #13
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I think they need to start Devin and Terry in the backcourt next year, period. James as backup PG and Stackhouse as backup SG, with Ager getting some minutes.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:04 AM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

James 'wowed' by Johnson, approaches final answerBy Sam Alipour
Special to ESPN.com

The NBA's top remaining free-agent point guard should be off the market soon.

Mike James is expected to announce his next team Tuesday after meeting face-to-face Monday in Las Vegas with Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson. James then returned to his offseason home in Houston to choose between the Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves, all of whom have been negotiating with James during the Vegas Summer League. It's believed that each of those teams is offering the 31-year-old a three-year deal starting at the $5 million mid-level exception.

The front-runner?

Judging by James' comments over the weekend in Los Angeles at a charity basketball game hosted by Baron Davis and Paul Pierce, it's the Mavericks.

And that's largely because of the former pass-first point guard chasing the shoot-first point guard who's coming off a breakout season in Toronto.

"The biggest 'wow' in this whole situation has been Avery Johnson," James says. "I respect him as a coach, but we have a relationship beyond the court. We've been friends for some years now. I've always respected Avery, even as a player when he had that broke jump shot. But he has a ring and he knows what it takes to win. He's been the person who has wowed me the most through this process."

James added that potential suitors must meet two requirements.

Championship contention is No. 1.

"These three teams want to win," James said. "Kevin Garnett tells me he doesn't want the playoffs, he wants to win the championship. Houston wants to get back to that point, and they've already got two superstars.

"Dallas was two games away," James continued, noting that the Mavs are closest to meeting the first prerequisite. "That's a very important factor for me."

No. 2?

"I want a team that wants to win, but also believes that I'm a significant piece," James said. "It's about trust. That's one of the main things I'm focused on. Do you really believe in me?

"These teams tell me they do. For them to say, 'Mike James, you're a significant piece,' that humbles me. With all the stuff I've been through -- everyone telling me I can't, can't, can't -- I'm humbled that these three teams believe in me."

While he stops short of requiring a spot in the starting lineup, James isn't shy about his belief that he should remain a starter.

"I was top 20 in every category besides rebounding, blocked shots and steals," James said. "There's over 400 players in the NBA, so I think I've proven what I'm capable of. All I can do is continue to work and erase all the critics minds."

And according to James, the critics have been hard at work, hounding him throughout his career. Following a stellar college career at Duquesne, James went undrafted before eventually singing with the Heat as a free agent in 2001. Over the next four seasons, James bounced between Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Houston, respectively, before the Rockets dealt him Toronto on the first day of training camp last October.

James went on to establish new career bests in minutes per game (37.0), assists (5.8), rebounds (3.3) and points (20.3). He became just the second undrafted player in NBA history, after John Starks, to average 20 points in a season.

While some might credit the jump in production to contract-year motivation, James says it was a product of increased playing time, a lifetime of hard work and a love for the game that saved him.

"If it wasn't for the game of basketball, I know what I would have done, and it wouldn't have been nice," he said, referring to his rough childhood in Amityville, N.Y. "The only other thing I knew was the streets. Basketball was my way out, so the only thing I can do to give back to the game is play with my heart."

While James continues to ponder a decision that will alter the course of his career, he already knows where he'll be when that decision is announced.

He dreams of a press conference.

"I never had the chance to wear that hat on the podium in front of the media," James said. "I told my wife, I'm going to the podium because I've never done that before. For me to just do that once, I'm awed by it. I'm thankful."

Sam Alipour is a contributor to ESPN The Magazine

Devin has size and quickness to be great. He showed flashes of brilliance against San Antonio. He was still basically a rookie last year since he rode the bench the season before. The only part about James is a diminished role for Devin scares me.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #15
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

If James is signed with the Mavs, most definitely, Devin's role will be reduced significantly. He will not get the PT that he needed going to his 3rd year. Number 1 thing Devin need to improve is his finishes around the rim, ala Tony Parker. I believed that is harder than to learn to hit the 15 ft jumpers.

James addition will definitely will not help that. Either sign James and trade Devin, to find Dirk's backup. or not sign James at all
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Devin imo has had two seasons and it's about time he become more consistent.
I think the best part of this comment is the fact that Devin has had two NBA off seasons...but the idea that he has had to NBA seasons really off. Nelson pretty much screwed with the kids mind in year one and injuries kept him out of a ton of games in season two. Its not like he has been given a fair shake for two seasons...

but I AM expecting to see major progress in his game next season...I heard Chuck Cooperstien say that Devin should be shooting a 1000 jumpers and 1000 free throws a day...and Chuck also felt confident that AJ had given him some strenuous off season commands...I expect his game to have a serious "jump" by the time next season rolls around...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNNF
If James is signed with the Mavs, most definitely, Devin's role will be reduced significantly. He will not get the PT that he needed going to his 3rd year. Number 1 thing Devin need to improve is his finishes around the rim, ala Tony Parker. I believed that is harder than to learn to hit the 15 ft jumpers.

James addition will definitely will not help that. Either sign James and trade Devin, to find Dirk's backup. or not sign James at all
well, it looks as if the Mavs do want Devin to be their point of the future AND mike james to be in their present...I am concerned with the minute break down for the next couple years if James is signed, I'd love to say "I'm sure that AJ will only play those who deserve it", but then theres the Stack situation...

Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #18
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
well, it looks as if the Mavs do want Devin to be their point of the future AND mike james to be in their present...I am concerned with the minute break down for the next couple years if James is signed, I'd love to say "I'm sure that AJ will only play those who deserve it", but then theres the Stack situation...
Sike... I'm beginning to wonder if AJ indeed wants James as a Stack replacement and play that all important 6th-man role for the next few years.

Stack's trade value is quite high this offseason and this may be the best time to ship him off, a la NVE a few years ago!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #19
sike
The Preacha

I, like you, have dared to dream such a blissful dream....

but I just see no way of AJ getting rid of his boy...

Old 07-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Well, that second article says we're the front runners. I think it will effect Stack's minutes more than Devin's, but yes it will effect him some.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Well, that second article says we're the front runners. I think it will effect Stack's minutes more than Devin's, but yes it will effect him some.
bless you, you dear boy....I hope you are correct.