Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well the JJ Abrams Star Trek is really its own entity. I view it more as a movie that lives in its own world versus being wholly in the Star Trek one. Of course, I've only seen the first so I can't speak for the second.

And a Star Wars that has fan service? PLEASE! That is exactly what Star Wars needs to be after the last three abominations that Lucas gave us. It almost seemed like Lucas purposely pissed off fans with Jar Jar and Metichlorians because he could. We need a movie that goes back to the heart of what the Force is all about and not a genetic disease.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well the JJ Abrams Star Trek is really its own entity. I view it more as a movie that lives in its own world versus being wholly in the Star Trek one. Of course, I've only seen the first so I can't speak for the second.

And a Star Wars that has fan service? PLEASE! That is exactly what Star Wars needs to be after the last three abominations that Lucas gave us. It almost seemed like Lucas purposely pissed off fans with Jar Jar and Metichlorians because he could. We need a movie that goes back to the heart of what the Force is all about and not a genetic disease.
By "fan service" I mean the inclusion of Boba Fett('s dad) and Chewbacca for no other reason than to have Boba Fett and Chewbacca in the movie... Or a pod race scene that's totally reminiscent of the speeder bike scene... Or the asteroid field, AGAIN... And didn't the C3 unit at the beginning of Phantom Menace say "how rude" just like C3PO did in Empire? Or how about Anakin getting his hand cut off at the end of the second movie just like Luke did?

I could go on and on and on - these things were included solely for the sake of nostalgia, rather than because they were relevant to the plot.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-24-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
By "fan service" I mean the inclusion of Boba Fett('s dad) and Chewbacca for no other reason than to have Boba Fett and Chewbacca in the movie... Or a pod race scene that's totally reminiscent of the speeder bike scene... Or the asteroid field, AGAIN... And didn't the C3 unit at the beginning of Phantom Menace say "how rude" just like C3PO did in Empire? Or how about Anakin getting his hand cut off at the end of the second movie just like Luke did?

I could go on and on and on - these things were included solely for the sake of nostalgia, rather than because they were relevant to the plot.
That's true, but I view those as minuscule items for the purpose of not having all Star Wars fans in open rebellion against the franchise. The big stuff like plot, writing, dialogue, Jar Jar, and Metichlorians were anything but fan pleasers. Honestly, if Lucas had just remade four, five, and six with a younger cast and better effects it still woulda been better than that crap he gave us in one, two, and three.

As long as Abrams gives us something that we won't wipe ourselves in the morning with plot-wise, then I've got nothing against those small fan pleasers.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
As long as Abrams gives us something that we won't wipe ourselves in the morning with plot-wise, then I've got nothing against those small fan pleasers.
Go see Star Trek Into Darkness and get back to me on that one... Although I did enjoy the movie, there was a callback at the climax of the movie that was so ham-fisted that I literally rolled my eyes when it happened. The rest of the audience either cheered for the nostalgia or laughed at the total unoriginality.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-24-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Some parts were definitely nostalgia (C3 unit), while others may appear that way but could just be central to Lucas' attempt to show how connected the universe was (jango fett, chewy in the prequels). Then you have moments like anakin losing his hand that I always took as an attempt to show the parallels between Luke and his father.

Now don't get me wrong, I generally disliked the prequels. I thought including jango fett was ridiculous on all levels. But I can't just dismiss that as simply fan service - who knows what Lucas' original intent was? It could have been in his head all along...