Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chris Young is pitching a gem....4 outs from no no

ESPN is showing it right now if you switch over.....wow.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

6-0 Padres....Young looks amazing tonight.

Strike out!!!!

3 outs from a no no!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Had a perfect game into the sixth inning. The only blemish tonight is one walk.

wow.

The 6 foot 10 Young is raking it tonight.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

is it still going? did you jinx it?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

ESPN cut away...they will go back when he is pitching.

It is a no no through 8...Padres batting.

The Padres were formed in 1969 and have never had a no hitter.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

It's back on and he is now 2 outs away......
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

The fans are absolutely great in San Diego tonight.

Every pitch is being cheered like crazy.

Nice atmosphere.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Oh man, I hope he does it. Wow a possible two no no's within a week or so?! Wow.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 09-22-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Walked a guy in the ninth.....his second walk.

Go CY!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

He's starting to show signs of being tired.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

91 pitches and counting...he should be fine.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Aw man.....he lost it but what an effort.

2 run homer and a standing ovation.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #13
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

and its over, the ump was squeezing him pretty good considering he had a no no that late.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #14
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Dang that sucks. Nice effort though.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #15
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks!

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Man no kidding....he couldn't catch a break on the last 9-15 pitches.

He earned a very nice ovation there.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:21 PM   #17
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Man no kidding....he couldn't catch a break on the last 9-15 pitches.

He earned a very nice ovation there.
I cant believe both sliders on the guy he walked and the 2-0 fastball to randa werent called strikes in that game situation..
Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

ESPN just reported that was Chris' second career no no into the ninth inning. Pretty impressive for a young guy.

I'm on the CY bandwagon now and wish he hadn't been traded, although I really like Aki O.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

CY>Aki

Old 09-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #20
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I like Aki, but you can't give up a starter for a closer...and Adam Eaton didn't even want to be here.

I'm sorry, but the majority of John Daniels' moves really sucked balls IMO.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 09-22-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:42 PM   #21
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

and wasn't aki brought in to be the setup man?

Old 09-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #22
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I like Aki, but you can't give up a starter for a closer...and Adam Eaton didn't even want to be here.

I'm sorry, but the majority of John Daniels' moves really sucked balls IMO.
Well lets see, we traded a piece of crap for our ace, we traded a horrible defensive second basemen who didnt want to be here for an outfielder who it turned out was damaged goods(horrible deal), we traded a blocked player and a decent relatively young pitcher(CY hasnt been that great and he wouldnt have been as good here as he was there) for a Closer and an equal starting pitcher who just happened to get hurt. As for the Carlos lee deal, we traded a setup man and an average outfielder for 2 better outfielders. Overall i would say he has done a pretty solid job outside of the soriano deal.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:30 AM   #23
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
ESPN just reported that was Chris' second career no no into the ninth inning. Pretty impressive for a young guy.

I'm on the CY bandwagon now and wish he hadn't been traded, although I really like Aki O.
Can't believe we traded away a young pitcher, who could actually pitch. I don't want to hear about the heat issues the fact is that the rangers messed up bad by trading him away.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:54 AM   #24
mary
Troll Hunter

The Wilkerson/Soriano deal is flat out embarassing. And guess what, he didn't exactly act like he was too thrilled playing for the Nats either...but 45, 40 and probably a Gold Glove.

As for the Lee deal....given that he'e going to want a ton of money to stay here, he's fat, slow and MIGHT be a marginally better outfielder then Mench...give me Mench and Cordero back. Please. Cordero was doing great in the set-up role, and losing him probably cost this club some games.

As for Young, I don't really care if "wouldn't have been that good here" as he was in San Diego. I care that he WAS GOOD when he was here. His 2005 ERA of 4.26 would be the LOWEST ERA on the current starting staff...just a tick lower than Padilla...our ACE. And lets not forget we also gave up A-Gon in that deal.

Solid job my ass.

Last edited by mary; 09-23-2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:09 AM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

A Gold Glove??? Are you talking about Sori??? The guy that leads the majors for errors by an outfielder? A gold glove? What on earth are you talking about?

Ok, look. The Sori deal is NOT flat out embarassing. You HAD to clear room for Kinsler. You had to. And there's no way Sori was going to move to LF for a rookie, on his current team. It just wouldn't have happened. It would have affected the lockerroom and the clubhouse.

It doesn't help that Sori went on and had his career year. But let's wait and see what happens next year. Wilkerson didn't work out, that's for sure. But Sori had to be traded. There's no denying that. But, let's also remember that the Padilla deal is generally tied to the Sori deal. We saved about 5 mil on that deal for this year, and that's about what Padilla cost us. So, Padilla, Kinsler and Wilkerson (who WILL have a good year next year) or Sori and waiver wirer pitcher?

On the Chris Young trade, I was against it from the beginning, and would still like a do-over. But, let's not kid ourselvesm Chris Young would not be putting up the same numbers over here. No only would he come back to a hitter's park, but you can add a half run onto the ERA just for moving to the AL, period.

Again, I'd love to have the deal back because I think Eaton is gone after this season, and Agon and Young is a lot to give up for Aki, but let's not act like this is a horrible trade. It's actually turned out better than I expected.

Let's not forget Ric Rodriguez for Padilla. That was thievery. Think Philly fans are mad at Gillick? Philly's in the playoffs right now if they don't make that trade.

Let's also not forget him picking up Rheinecker and Koronka in an emergency move after Eaton went down. Are those guys going to be all stars, or even be in the rotation next year? No, but they sure saved us this year. They gave us a shot to be competitive, and those are the kinds of good moves that good GM's make.

Now, the Lee deal. I was for the deal, but tempering excitement at the same time when it happened. Cordero is pitching very well for them, but he was our setup man, and was about to see a dramatic increase in his contract. Everything I've read suggests that there was no way the Rangers were going to pick up his option. So, you can't think about losing Cordero. He was gone. So, we traded Mench (who's been flat dreadful since the trade) and Nix, who is no longer a legitimate prospect, for Lee, and Cruz, who is a very highly regarded OF prospect.

From what I've seen of Cruz so far, he's our starting RF next year. Now I agree on Lee, I don't want him back. But I don't think we ever intended on bringing him back. We got him for the stretch run, which ultimately failed. But, assuming they don't get rid of draft pick compensation, we'll get two picks for him when he signs elsewhere.

Mench + Nix for Cruz and 2 months of Lee and a chance at a Division Title is a good deal. A lot of teams were offering a very nice package of prospects for Lee, and we got him for almost nothing.

Let's also not overlook the Delucci for Tejeda deal. Tejeda really appears to be turning a corner right now, and should be in the rotation all of next year. That's a great trade if that happens.

Daniels has had a mixed bag so far, but it's a mixed bag from being aggressive, and trying to clean up the complete mess that Hart left. He HAD to show he was willing to take chances in order to make this team better. I still believe the Lee trade had more to do with sending a message to the clubhouse as it did with winning the division. If you want to resign Young and Tex, you're going to have to repair all the damage Hart did.

Phew, this turned out long.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 09-23-2006 at 07:16 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #26
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
The Wilkerson/Soriano deal is flat out embarassing. And guess what, he didn't exactly act like he was too thrilled playing for the Nats either...but 45, 40 and probably a Gold Glove.

As for the Lee deal....given that he'e going to want a ton of money to stay here, he's fat, slow and MIGHT be a marginally better outfielder then Mench...give me Mench and Cordero back. Please. Cordero was doing great in the set-up role, and losing him probably cost this club some games.

As for Young, I don't really care if "wouldn't have been that good here" as he was in San Diego. I care that he WAS GOOD when he was here. His 2005 ERA of 4.26 would be the LOWEST ERA on the current starting staff...just a tick lower than Padilla...our ACE. And lets not forget we also gave up A-Gon in that deal.

Solid job my ass.
If you think sori has any shot at a gold glove theres not a whole to discuss... He is the worst outfielder in baseball with the possible exception of carlos lee who is downright awful...
Old 09-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #27
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

People look at the outfield assists and assume he's playing well. Actually, as the writers that comer him have noted, he has all those assists because he keeps misplaying balls, and runners keep trying to take the extra base on him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 09-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #28
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
People look at the outfield assists and assume he's playing well. Actually, as the writers that comer him have noted, he has all those assists because he keeps misplaying balls, and runners keep trying to take the extra base on him.
Yeah, lee is pathetic defensively too though. I cant believe how truly bad that man is in the outfield. Good lord. If ever there was a man meant to be a DH its him.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #29
mary
Troll Hunter

Yeah..I don't watch Nats games...so if you guys say Soriano is a bad outfielder - I'll just have to take your word for it.. I've also been told that GMJ is a horrible outfielder as well...but there's been plenty of local buzz about him winning a GG.

And if you want to use that as a convenient way to cop out of the rest of the argument, go ahead. I bow down to your vast knowledge of baseball....

For those that responded without being condescending..thank you.

Last edited by mary; 09-23-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #30
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Yeah..I don't watch Nats games...so if you guys say Soriano is a bad outfielder - I'll just have to take your word for it.. I've also been told that GMJ is a horrible outfielder as well...but there's been plenty of local buzz about him winning a GG.

And if you want to use that as a convenient way to cop out of the rest of the argument, go ahead. I bow down to your vast knowledge of baseball....

For those that responded without being condescending..thank you.
Ive already argued the trades with the exception of the Juan dom trade which was another plus for daniels. You did not honestly just compare GMJ and Sori as defensive outfielders did you??? please god tell me you are kidding. Thats the equivalent of comparing Jerry stackhouse and Bruce Bowen defensively. Give me a break. Sori is still leaps and bounds better than Wilk though so that was definitely a negative trade. I just think that at worst we came out even while trying to be agressive.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #31
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
On the Chris Young trade, I was against it from the beginning, and would still like a do-over. But, let's not kid ourselvesm Chris Young would not be putting up the same numbers over here. No only would he come back to a hitter's park, but you can add a half run onto the ERA just for moving to the AL, period.
Once again, he was putting up good numbers at the Ballpark so its not like he was Chan Ho-ing it up just because he was in a hitter's ballpark.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #32
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Ive already argued the trades with the exception of the Juan dom trade which was another plus for daniels. You did not honestly just compare GMJ and Sori as defensive outfielders did you??? please god tell me you are kidding. Thats the equivalent of comparing Jerry stackhouse and Bruce Bowen defensively. Give me a break. Sori is still leaps and bounds better than Wilk though so that was definitely a negative trade. I just think that at worst we came out even while trying to be agressive.
No...I did not say Sori and GMJ are similar outfielders..you're making that up. I simply made the comment that GMJ has been called a bad outfielder. After work, I'll find the link.

Last edited by mary; 09-23-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
No..I simply made that comment that GMJ has been called a bad outfielder. After work, I'll find the link.
To whomever said that, they are incorrect. By alot.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #34
mary
Troll Hunter

http://www.lonestarball.com/story/2006/8/28/14215/8115

Here - I wasn't making it up. And just for the record, I love me some GMJ.

ETA: I was probably too harsh last night when I said JD's moves sucked balls. To tell you the truth, I was pretty pissed..not just because Young had just lost the no-hitter, not just because Young was traded, but because that was the most exciting 15 minutes of baseball I've watched in months came from two teams I don't even give a crap about...and that sucks.

I do give JD some credit for being "aggressive". But at the same time, maybe a better assessment of the team would have prevented him from trading away a valuable bullpen guy for a one-dimesional player with an expiring contract.

Last edited by mary; 09-23-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #35
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Ok, first of all, I didn't mean to come off condescending Mary. I was more incredulous, as I've never heard Sori mentioned in that vein before. So sorry about that.

On GMJ, his fielding stats do show him to be a below average defender, even this year. I don't know how much stock I put in fielding stats, even serious statsheads admit they are seriously flawed. Although, before this year he was considered an average to below average defensive CF, so it's possible he's simply had several great plays that are tilting everyone's judgement. It's hard to say.

But yes, it is certainly not concensus that GMJ is GG caliber outfielder.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 09-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #36
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Ok, first of all, I didn't mean to come off condescending Mary. I was more incredulous, as I've never heard Sori mentioned in that vein before. So sorry about that.

On GMJ, his fielding stats do show him to be a below average defender, even this year. I don't know how much stock I put in fielding stats, even serious statsheads admit they are seriously flawed. Although, before this year he was considered an average to below average defensive CF, so it's possible he's simply had several great plays that are tilting everyone's judgement. It's hard to say.

But yes, it is certainly not concensus that GMJ is GG caliber outfielder.
No worries, I was out of line last night by mentioning Sori and GG in the same sentence. My bad.

Quote:
The guy that leads the majors for errors by an outfielder?
Not to nitpick, but Sori is currently tied with Vladi for second with 11 E's and Adam Dunn is leading everyone with 12.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #37
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Yeah, I looked that up after I posted.

Still, Dunn is a DH stuck in in the NL. NOthing to be proud of being 1 better than him.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game