Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #1321
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
I don't think my three would be keepers are first 3 round caliber players.

Actually, after thinking about it... there's no point in keeping any of your players unless its a top top tier guy in this format.

I may end up keeping zero. I think the way we're doing it is kinda unfair.
I don't think it's unfair, for the reason that every player has the same options available to them. What it does is add a lot of intrigue. If you somehow knew that every other manager was keeping three players, you would know that you essentially could have picks 34, 35, and 36 in the draft...also knowing that there are likely several players "kept" that don't rate high as those draft choices of yours will. That would be a good-good for you. Also, you would essentially still have the option to "keep" anyone on your former roster, just by drafting them when your turn comes up (others are "drafting" their keepers). How terrific would that be? You can keep your guys if you want, or if there's something better then you can go that route instead.

Which, of course, is why you probably won't get that option all to yourself. If it was such a good thing, everyone would do it...and...then it wouldn't be such a good thing anymore.

As I said, it adds intrigue!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #1322
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This is turning into poker real fast.

I want to make a decision based on what I think other people are doing....actions that I believe are based in my idea of common sense and logic.

But people aren't going to do what I expect them to do, because they don't think like me, or they're just stupid. You know who I mean.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #1323
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to those who repped me for the spreadsheet.

I guess I'm in a bad spot because I only hold one keeper to be projected to go in the first three rounds.

I'll probably just keep that guy and take my chances in the pool of players.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #1324
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Think again, Flaco. You'll have to take Braylon Edwards from my stone-cold hands.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #1325
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Think again, Flaco. You'll have to take Braylon Edwards from my stone-cold hands.
Yeah. You're going to cut one of your three first rounders for Butterfinger Edwards.

edit....Geez...the more player rankings I read, the more they vary wildly.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-18-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #1326
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

good grief...I go to work and miss 2 pages worth of stuff.

What is the consensus right now for how things are hoping to go?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-18-2009 at 06:12 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #1327
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
good grief...I go to work and miss 2 pages worth of stuff.

What is the consensus right now for how things are hoping to go?
Can we push back the keeper deadline from July 1st to somewhere closer to our draft? I have no idea who to keep this early in the offseason...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-18-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #1328
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't wanna push it back too far...still keep things fresh and not forgotten between now and the presesason.

For this draft last year, the draft itself was on September 6...just for a frame of reference. Preseason games start in the second week of August.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-18-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #1329
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

People are either not thinking straight or are posturing to entice people to leave players unprotected.

Not protecting any of your players would be utterly idiotic. I'd like to protect more than three, personally. Looking at draft projections is pretty silly given the unique makeup of our league. I'll stop at that, I've said too much already.

I have no idea if it's a concensus yet, but it makes zero sense to force people to keep players they don't want.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 06-18-2009 at 06:28 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #1330
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
People are either not thinking straight or are posturing to entice people to leave players unprotected.

Not protecting any of your players would be utterly idiotic. I'd like to protect more than three, personally. Looking at draft projections is pretty silly given the unique makeup of our league. I'll stop at that, I've said too much already.

I have no idea if it's a concensus yet, but it makes zero sense to force people to keep players they don't want.
I guess I'm just overthinking the situation. You're keepers aren't your 1, 2, and 3rd round pick...they're already going to be on your roster. The 1st pick is going to be out of the remaining pool of guys left.

I haven't officially set anything up in the league other than the scoring. I haven't sent any invites yet because I wanna solidify the settings, especially for the keepers and then send stuff off. I don't want to run into the problem we had with the bball league.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #1331
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Well actually that's exactly what they are, your first, second and third round picks. My understanding is that's exactly how it works.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 06-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #1332
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just don't wanna push it back too far...still keep things fresh and not forgotten between now and the presesason.

For this draft last year, the draft itself was on September 6...just for a frame of reference. Preseason games start in the second week of August.
I at least want to get through training camp before making a decision...

It's hard to know whether or not to keep Randy Moss until I know what Tom Brady looks like post-injury, or Megatron until I know if Stafford can play at the NFL level, or Witten until I know that the Cowboys aren't going to acquire another WR, or Portis until I know who the heck their QB is even going to be...

What can I say, I'm a 90's guy - I like to know if a woman is clean before I sleep with her...

Last edited by Underdog; 06-18-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #1333
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Well actually that's exactly what they are, your first, second and third round picks. My understanding is that's exactly how it works.
Ok, then let me make sure I've got this understood.

Keeper Rules for 2009
Use this option to set Keepers for this year's Live or Autopick draft. If 'Yes' is selected 2008 Keeper players can be drafted by adding them to team rosters before the draft begins. This can be done via the 'Edit Rosters' tool found on the 'LM Tools' page. When the draft begins the number of keepers set per team will automatically be drafted. This editing can be changed until your draft.

That's what I sent you before. Reading that, I gather that once they're sent to me I can place them on the roster and...
if I understand correctly, let's say everyone but 1 person keeps 3.
The first 2 rounds will be automatic, and then they'll be automatic until that 1 person (they'll pick whoever is available out of the pool).

That's how it'd be in that example but it could vary based on how many each team keeps...right? Would that mess up the format since the first 3 rounds won't be snake format?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #1334
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I at least want to get through training camp before making a decision...

It's hard to know whether or not to keep Randy Moss until I know what Tom Brady looks like post-injury, or Megatron until I know if Stafford can play at the NFL level, or Witten until I know that the Cowboys aren't going to acquire another WR, or Portis until I know who the heck their QB is even going to be...

What can I say, I'm a 90's guy - I like to know if a woman is clean before I sleep with her...
LOL

Well, like I said...first preseason games start in the 2nd week of august. That's a decent frame of reference on when to decide who to keep.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #1335
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
That's how it'd be in that example but it could vary based on how many each team keeps...right? Would that mess up the format since the first 3 rounds won't be snake format?
The fact that the first three rounds don't snake should offset Nike's concerns about the situation not being fair to the teams that didn't do as well last season.

If U2 wants, he can have the very first pick in the first four rounds of our draft. (although the first three rounds will obviously be much, much thinner than your typical first three rounds of a draft).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 06-18-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #1336
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
The fact that the first three rounds don't snake should offset Nike's concerns about the situation not being fair to the teams that didn't do as well last season.

If U2 wants, he can have the very first pick in the first four rounds of our draft. (although the first three rounds will obviously be much, much thinner than your typical first three rounds of a draft).
True true. I guess we need to establish the order after Rd. 3.
Points For or W-L. I know W-L would result in a better instance for me haha, but I think the majority was starting to favor PF...which is cool by me!

But was what I was saying correct? The keepers are selected and then placed on the respective teams as the first 3 picks...but there is a chance that people only select 1-2 guys instead of 3 and then they'll get to make a selection out of what is available. That shouldn't be a problem with ESPN should it? I don't think it would be one.

If that's true, is that information not released until the beginning of the draft? Like you know what YOUR intentions are, but it's unknown for the field until we're rolling who really is out there. It would seem silly NOT to protect/keep any of your guys, you'd at least want to keep 2.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #1337
Underdog

Okay, I just set up a 4-team keeper league with a July 2nd draft date (the soonest I could do it) - I'll run a simulation with two teams retaining 3 keepers, one team retaining 2 and one team retaining 0 and tell you guys exactly how it turns out...

(I hate guessing games...)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-18-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #1338
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I'm not sure if the info is out or not, but it doesn't matter because your keepers are locked in and you can't change your mind once the draft starts.

But yes, I believe you're correct on how it works.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #1339
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Okay, I just set up a 4-team keeper league with a July 2nd draft date (the soonest I could do it) - I'll run a simulation with two teams retaining 3 keepers, one team retaining 2 and one team retaining 0 and tell you guys exactly how it turns out...

(I hate guessing games...)
...To Be Continued!
That should work, thanks for doing that btw.

The next immediate issues should be the order:
W-L or Points For, with it leaning towards Points For

And the keeper selection date and the draft date

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-18-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #1340
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I posted this earlier and it seems people should read it if they're still confused.

Quote:
OK...found this on ESPN

Quote:
Q. What if I, as a team manager, choose not to keep the maximum number of players allowed in my keeper league?
A. If an owner chooses not to keep the maximum number of players allowed, they will draft a new player from the available pool once all keepers have been retained. For example, assuming a four team league with a maximum of three keepers, where two owners choose not to keep three players, a straight (not snake) draft will occur as follows:

1st round:

Adam obtains first of three keepers

Brian obtains first of two keepers

Chris obtains first of three keepers

Dave drafts a player from available player pool

2nd round:

Adam obtains second of three keepers

Brian obtains second of two keepers

Chris obtains second of three keepers

Dave drafts player from available player pool

3rd round:

Adam obtains third of three keepers

Brian drafts player from available player pool

Chris obtains third of three keepers

4th round (regular draft selections for all owners):

Adam drafts player from available player pool

Brian drafts player from available player pool

Chris drafts player from available player pool

5th Round (regular draft selections for all owners and snake format begins):

Dave

Chris

Brian

Adam

etc.
It amounts to this...if you keep 2 players, you're going to be watching the draft until round 3, when you'll have to actually make your first pick. Your first two picks would happen automatically and would be your keepers, presumably in no particular order.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #1341
BGMaverick9
Guru

thanks!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #1342
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

May we make trades before we anounce our keepers?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #1343
BGMaverick9
Guru

Trades will be able to occur...but nothing is happening until we finish laying the groundwork and take care of the more important issues and we're completely settled.

please direct further comments to the 2009 thread.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-18-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Tags
6 points per fluff, fantasy, fantasy fluff, your mom is my fantasy