Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #41
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Angry

prepare to suffer in both leagues...I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
Well... based on my emails, it looks like at least a poster or two would like to participate in our now full D-M league, and seeing that said league has been filled (and getting above 12 teams on a league isn't a lot of fun), I figure I might as well start a second 10-team league. Just like the last one, registration is first-come, first-serve basis- although we can easily expand the league to 12 or 14 teams if registrants so desire. Additionally, I am changing the rules up a bit for this league to be a receptions/passing yards friendly league, so if any of y'all who are participating in the first league want to jump over and play a game with a different wrinkle, obviously that would be a darned good thing ...

League ID#: 49344
League Name: DM_D_League
Password: PacManEra
Custom League URL: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo....gue/dmd_league
Draft Type: Live Draft
Draft Time: Sat Aug 23 1:30pm CDT [ Add to My Calendar ]
Max Teams: 10

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #42
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Alrighty then, five of ten spots are now filled in the D league, and the teams as currently constituted are:

TheSikedelics
OnLikeKeyshawn (Chumdawg)
Bear Run Ballers
Black Storm (Scoobay)
Evil Enraged

To anyone reading this and interested in competing this season, I'd say please register, because this should be a pretty darned good competitive season...
Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #43
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default I will join if nobody else will. (1) is usually all I can do.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #44
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way we could change the settings to make this league less AFL-like? I hate following individual defensive players, for one thing. I hate huge starting rosters for another, because they drastically reduce the options on the waiver wire. As I recall this league from last year, it was either draft and trade or draft and watch, because every decent player had been taken a long time ago.

Maybe we could vote and award a league winner at the conclusion of the draft? Because with twelve teams and so many roster slots, you might be looking at a guy like Isaiah Stanback if you want to make a move at WR.

Of course, not that this wouldn't be a shrewd and prudent move, but still...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #45
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't take you long, did it?

Isaiah Stanback might take offense to that...or he might be thrilled, who knows.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #46
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Is there any way we could change the settings to make this league less AFL-like? I hate following individual defensive players, for one thing. I hate huge starting rosters for another, because they drastically reduce the options on the waiver wire. As I recall this league from last year, it was either draft and trade or draft and watch, because every decent player had been taken a long time ago.

Maybe we could vote and award a league winner at the conclusion of the draft? Because with twelve teams and so many roster slots, you might be looking at a guy like Isaiah Stanback if you want to make a move at WR.

Of course, not that this wouldn't be a shrewd and prudent move, but still...
Those are valid points, CD, and I'll say that if folks want it, I'll drop the IDP and I can also drop the bench spots from 6 to 2 to facilitate a bigger free agency pool , but the only additional change that I would consider beyond that would be to possibly change the active spots to drop one QB- and that's not a change I'm wild about, and it's one that I will only effect if a sizable number of managers let me know they want it, because I think that forcing folks to utilize two QB's makes folk's draft and bye-week management strategies very interesting, and it forces managers to very seriously weigh the +'s and -'s of some of the leagues crappier and younger quarterback's on a week to week basis- thereby making the game more challenging and engrossing...

So thusly, I'll wait a couple of days, and if nobody objects in this thread or via PM to me, I will drop the IDP and reduce the bench spots from 6 to 2 to expand the free agency pool.

Last edited by Evilmav2; 08-11-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #47
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for being open-minded Evilmav2

I haven't drafted IDPs before, as I was telling chum, so that would be new to me...but I'd be willing to try it. The W/T pos. seems a little redundant with the other 3 WR/1 TE spot. I'm just throwing this out there, brainstorming...what if you made one flex spot but make it WR/RB/QB...I dunno, just thinking out loud. I haven't really thought it out yet to see if that messes with the makeup of what you're wanting to get out of the draft.

It'll definitely be interesting if it's just a 2-man bench, I've never had that small of a bench before. It does go along the lines of keeping the FA pool strong though. You basically have to take the hit on the bye weeks of the DST and Kickers.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-11-2008 at 11:55 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 PM   #48
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your willingness to consider setting changes. Dropping the IDP's alone makes this a much more palatable league as far as I am concerned. I am concerned about a two-man bench, though. I don't think we need to go quite that far. I'd rather see the W/T flex spot dropped. We are already starting three WR's in a 12 man league, plus two RB's and a flex. That means we are starting 72 WR's and RB's, when the entire league is starting, what, 90? With the second flex we are starting 84.

I don't know...I'm not really a long-time vet of FF...only been at it a handful of years...but it seems like a 12-team league ought to tend to a smaller roster rather than a larger one. It would seem to make sense to me for us to start two WR's and two RB's with one flex position and a handful of spots on the bench. It seems that THAT is how you reward good drafting and a solid bench. Oh, and strict waiver priorities.

The way the settings presently are, our league of twelve could start 60 WR's, which is basically the whole NFL.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 AM   #49
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't know...I'm not really a long-time vet of FF...only been at it a handful of years...but it seems like a 12-team league ought to tend to a smaller roster rather than a larger one. It would seem to make sense to me for us to start two WR's and two RB's with one flex position and a handful of spots on the bench. It seems that THAT is how you reward good drafting and a solid bench. Oh, and strict waiver priorities.
I agree. (I think I'm in the league you're talking about )

I'd say drop a WR, the IDP if you like, and make 3 BN positions...

Dangit where's sike? I liked how sike made his league last year.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #50
BGMaverick9
Guru

Well this IS the D-M.com Fantasy Football League...it could rival the NFL someday!

I think if you went to a 4 man bench, everything would be settled
QB, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, Flex 1, Flex 2, DST, K
if you had 4 bench...that's 15 rounds right there.

or like Flacolaco said...that sounds good as well.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-12-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #51
chumdawg
Guru

I don't mind starting two QB's, since they don't really impact the size of the bench. (In other words, you don't necessarily need to carry a third.) But I'm all for trimming the starting roster as a way to increase the size of the bench. A two-man bench is going to be chaos. And a six-man bench is going to stifle mobility throughout the course of the season. Waiver claims need to be potentially meaningful.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 AM   #52
BGMaverick9
Guru

I think 4 is the sweet spot for the bench. I think you would need to carry a 3rd QB for the bye week of one of your 2 QBs...?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-12-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 AM   #53
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what I like....if anyone cares. You probably shouldn't.

QB, QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN
Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #54
BGMaverick9
Guru

I care!

This is what I like...but I'm game for anything.
QB, QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, DEF, K
BN, BN, BN, BN
Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #55
chumdawg
Guru

Why do we need to reinvent the wheel? Why not the Yahoo! standard: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, W/R, TE, K, DEF? We can throw in the second QB starter and not have it impact the size of the bench (trust me, you aren't going to want to carry the 25th best QB on your bench). Just the same, we can start two kickers and two defenses if you like. But when we start four or five WR's and three or four RB's, we are basically deciding the games before we play them.

We need a good flux of movement at the WR and the RB.

And I still say, the W/T position is the most insidious thing I've ever seen. There is absolutely no reason for it.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #56
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I care!

This is what I like...but I'm game for anything.
QB, QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, DEF, K
BN, BN, BN, BN
Co-sign! I'll even take a bench spot on top of that, if need be.

Last edited by chumdawg; 08-12-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #57
BGMaverick9
Guru

adding a bench makes it 15 roster slots, nice round number.

The only thing I'm confused about is the bye week issue, like with QBs...or the DEF and K. Does that fill out your bench or just take the 0s?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-12-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #58
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Ok that sounds fine. I definitely like the 2nd QB.

As far as the bye week goes...well that's part of the fun now isn't it?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #59
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

If this is palatable to folks, I definitely think BG's suggestion represents a good compromise:

QB, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, W/R, DST, K + 4 bench spots

And if that's agreeable to folks, I'll be happy to change the league setting immediately...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 08-12-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #60
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

No TE spot?

I'd say change one of those WR to strictly TE and you've got a deal, no?

(Mind you I've only done this twice before, so if I'm being ignorant just let me know)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 08-12-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #61
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
No TE spot?

(Mind you I've only done this twice before, so if I'm being ignorant just let me know)
Whoops... That was my oversight. With the TE we have a nice even 15 rounds with this:

QB, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, W/R, TE, DST, K + 4 bench spots

That kind of a lineup would make the FA pool run pretty darned thin in a 16 person league (not to mention the fact that we would run out of QB's), but I think we'd be able to facilitate free agency movement in our 12 team league pretty darned well with this set-up. So again, if folks are amenable, I'll be happy to make the change forthwith...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 08-12-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #62
chumdawg
Guru

I'm about 100 times happier with that than before...so I am completely on board!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #63
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Ok that sounds fine. I definitely like the 2nd QB.

As far as the bye week goes...well that's part of the fun now isn't it?
I figured that would be the answer...or aggressive drafting?

Quote:
No TE spot?

I'm thinking...or hoping it was a typo
Old 08-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #64
chumdawg
Guru

If we traded a starting WR for a bench spot, we would (I believe) be at the Yahoo! standard...which wouldn't be a bad thing, in a league as deep as ours.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 AM   #65
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
If this is palatable to folks, I definitely think BG's suggestion represents a good compromise:
Sweet, it's all going according to plan mwhahahahahah.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #66
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
If we traded a starting WR for a bench spot, we would (I believe) be at the Yahoo! standard...which wouldn't be a bad thing, in a league as deep as ours.
that'd be a 2:1 starting to bench ratio, which might be weird to some, but I don't see it as a bad thing. I'm down for either of them: WR, WR, WR + 4 bench or WR, WR + 5 bench.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-12-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #67
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
that'd be a 2:1 starting to bench ratio, which might be weird to some, but I don't see it as a bad thing. I'm down for either of them: WR, WR, WR + 4 bench or WR, WR + 5 bench.
When you draft as well as I do, you can often leave your DEF or K or TE position empty and still handily win a match. Or, not need to. But...I'm thinking about the common man.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #68
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
When you draft as well as I do, you can often leave your DEF or K or TE position empty and still handily win a match. Or, not need to. But...I'm thinking about the common man.
oh chum..thank you for keeping me in mind

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-12-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #69
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Alrighty. Going once... Going twice...

QB, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, W/R, TE, DST, K + 4 bench spots, it will be then ...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #70
chumdawg
Guru

Gear up, bitches. I've already got a stock strategy for that lineup.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:37 AM   #71
BGMaverick9
Guru

Wow...we got a lot done in about an hour. This should be an fun season.
Thanks again, Evilmav2 for being a commissioner for the people.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-12-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 AM   #72
chumdawg
Guru

True. EvilMav for pres. Of course, he just made it a whole lot harder on you fools to take on the likes of fantasy football gurus like Evil and me.

Trojan horse??
Old 08-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #73
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Good suggestions, y'all, and I can't wait to get this draft going . I just completed my first real draft of the Summer last Saturday and I haven't been able to stay away from FF stuff since then, so I am greatly looking forward to getting our leagues underway...
Old 08-12-2008, 02:24 AM   #74
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I like the change to the rosters, I would make it 2 WR's 1 TE and 1 W/R with 5 bench but I'm also fine with the way it is now. Looking forward to this season!

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #75
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the changes. I'm not a fan of the IDP. Thanks Evil!

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #76
BGMaverick9
Guru

I was racking my brain all day today trying to figure out the question I meant to ask before I went to bed last night. Finally figured it out and it's one I didn't need to ask.

The draft order is randomly selected 30 minutes before...haha
The one draft I did a few weeks ago with my buddy we knew in advance of the draft what our pick was. Is this format how ya'll are used to doing it, or is it somewhat new for everyone else too?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #77
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
I was racking my brain all day today trying to figure out the question I meant to ask before I went to bed last night. Finally figured it out and it's one I didn't need to ask.

The draft order is randomly selected 30 minutes before...haha
The one draft I did a few weeks ago with my buddy we knew in advance of the draft what our pick was. Is this format how ya'll are used to doing it, or is it somewhat new for everyone else too?
We've always had the draft order determined randomly on Yahoo leagues. The commish can set the order (say if you are running a keeper league where the draft order is determined by the last year's order of finish), but in a standard league the random draft order has always been standard...
Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #78
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
We've always had the draft order determined randomly on Yahoo leagues. The commish can set the order (say if you are running a keeper league where the draft order is determined by the last year's order of finish), but in a standard league the random draft order has always been standard...
Cool, cool. It definitely keeps you on your toes b/c you have to think of different routes based on your position!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #79
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I am just posting this as a reminder to all participating managers that the second D-M league is drafting this Saturday at 1:30 PM CDT, although we still need one team to register in order to reach 10 teams.

If anybody reading this wants to participate, please feel free to sign up using the information posted below, otherwise I'll get my younger brother to register at the last minute so we have a full league, but he doesn't really want to participate, as he's only a casual football fan, so it would be much preferable to have another of our old fantasy stalwarts take the spot. Have a great one, and I look forward to the draft in about a day and half's span of time .

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
League ID#: 49344
League Name: DM_D_League
Password: PacManEra
Draft Type: Live Draft
Draft Time: Sat Aug 23 1:30pm CDT
Max Teams: 10

Last edited by Evilmav2; 08-21-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #80
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

---Bump---

We've got one spot left and the draft is 1 day, 13 hours, and 43 minutes away. Again, if anyone is interested in participating in a wide-open and very active, competitive league, please feel free to register (the registration info is posted in my preceding post). Again, have a good one, and I look forward to the upcoming draft ...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 08-21-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Tags
6 points per fluff, fantasy, fantasy fluff, your mom is my fantasy