Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default For just this once..I'm almost embarrassed to be an American

I just watched Remember the Titans. Why do people like this movie? The football action is sooo ridiculously unrealistic...It's over the top and poorly choreographed to say the least..

Can someone tell me why 99% of the audiences around the country just didn't get up and walk out of the movie? If I ever liked this movie, I apologize for my idiocy. I don't think that I did...but damn, this movie's sports action is nothing short of embarrassing... It's an embarrassment to our country as a whole that a movie such as this could find success at the box office...nothing like watching a Linebacker get up off the ground to run down a running back that has about a 10-15 yard head start on him even when the RB's in the open field.... that's realistic.

We're better than this crap, aren't we?

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-09-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

safe to say that any redeeming quality that this made-to-make-you-tear-up-flick has is not in its reinactment of football...I found it totally cheesy...but likeable.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

wow, took you this long to watch it?

yeah, the football scenes are ridiculous, ESPECIALLY for high school.

but the movie was about more than football, murph. Didn't you read the taglines?

"Before they could win, they had to become one."
Old 01-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah..and that was even cheesier than the football action.
It was soooo formulaic..so over the top...you could tell what was going to happen, and when it got there, ...just wasn't that great.

I know that unity between the races is a good thing and all, but that doesn't mean that every movie that happens to be about two races coming together is a high quality movie.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think that new basketball movie will be ridiculously unrealistic but I still wanna see it something awful
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

oh, remember the titans is FAR from a "high quality" movie. but it doesn't make me embarrassed to be an american. and as for being formulaic, it's a disney movie, after all...

plus, i'm a sucker for any movie with a "Denzel Speech".
Old 01-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

How does "Remember the Titans" compare to "Friday Night Lights"?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

The football action in Friday Night Lights is far more realistic. Plus, it's not nearly as cheesy when it comes to the dialogue off of the football field.

There are certain parts of RTT that I just cringe the action is so embarrassingly unrealistic.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

how do you feel about Varsity Blues?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

The football action in varsity blues is mediocre... On the whole, I'd say it's about on par with RTT. There are some outlandish moments in both. But, I'm not sure that Varsity Blues was quite going for the same angle as RTT...The great football action was more of a necessity in RTT whereas VB had naked women as a fall back.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

but RTT had overcoming racism as a fallback!

which would you rather have in a movie? naked chicks covered in whipped cream, or a group of young men overcoming their racist environment?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
but RTT had overcoming racism as a fallback!

which would you rather have in a movie? naked chicks covered in whipped cream, or a group of young men overcoming their racist environment?
Is this a trick question?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Why can't we have both? Then we'd have the makings of an Oscar-worthy film.
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

They don't overcome racism..The movie turns into a musical. Everyone turns gay. It's the football equivalent to Brokeback Mountain. Everyone sings and hugs and a couple of guys even kiss on the lips.

Maybe they do overcome racism, but they turn straight to homosexuality. Is it worth it?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

they overcome racism within their hearts, and change the hearts of many people in the town as well...

including kate bosworth. where was her whipped cream bikini scene?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

She was the only person in the movie that had a change of heart regarding racism that didn't break into a show tune.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

This movie sounds like a riot..... gay football players singing showtunes.

Think I'll visit Hollywood Video on my way home.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #18
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

and it's got randy from "My Name is Earl" and Turk from "Scrubs"

how can you not like it?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

..bad football action...like a linebacker running down a running back that has a 10-15 yard head start in the open field. What?...does the Running back run a 7 flat forty while the running back runs a 3.8?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
They don't overcome racism..The movie turns into a musical. Everyone turns gay. It's the football equivalent to Brokeback Mountain. Everyone sings and hugs and a couple of guys even kiss on the lips.

Maybe they do overcome racism, but they turn straight to homosexuality. Is it worth it?
Post of the day.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I enjoyed remember the titans. It was entertaining and had a positive message.

Since then however I have checked out on racism stories, no longer interested. Finally had my fill.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #22
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

so murph, i guess you are not looking forward to "Glory Road" aka remember the titans on the basketball court (same producer, writer, sappy previews).
Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

I'll watch it. Just because it's the same producer and writer does not mean that the basketball action will be absolutely abysmal and unrealistic.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #24
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
How does "Remember the Titans" compare to "Friday Night Lights"?
FNL's is definitely on my todo list. Has anyone seen it? I didn't have a problem with RTT, it was what it was.

I did have the misfortune of recently renting the Adam Sandler Longest Yard. There was no racism or gayness to overcome, but it was a complete waste of time.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 01-10-2006 at 12:30 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Friday Night Lights is pretty good. It's probaby better if you have some sort of angle of interest. For me, it was seeing it, and then discussing it with my in-laws and their extended family, who are all from Midland/Odessa and most of whom graduated from Permian..

They're not big fans, to say the least, although the book that inspired the movie was much tougher.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-10-2006 at 02:41 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

I guess I'm one of the few that are truly disturbed by disgustingly unbelievable sports moments in a movie.

Check this out...There is a point in the movie where one of the Titans picks up a fumble on defense BUT returns the ball into the endzone that his team was defending for a Titan TD. Anything seem just a little off with that?
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #27
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

no need to mention any other scene except the one you mentioned earlier in the thread (where the linebacker falls at the line of scrimmage, but catches the running back, who looks like he's basiclly running in slow motion).
Old 01-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

well, in my eyes, the one I just mentioned is even worse..they had the guy running to the wrong end zone to score a TD..
Old 01-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #29
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

communist
Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #30
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I'll watch it. Just because it's the same producer and writer does not mean that the basketball action will be absolutely abysmal and unrealistic.
a quick question, were players performing reverse dunks and such in 1966?

Last edited by irontoad; 01-19-2006 at 02:07 PM.
irontoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #31
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Friday night lights was nowhere near what it should have been. The football wasnt realistic (there is nowhere near that much blood on peoples faces in hs football as to varsity blues i thought it was pretty good since it basically is the story of corsicana texas. BTW its a D end or at least thats what they say at the begining even though not once in the movie does he get down in a stance that catches the running back who is clearly in the barely above walking, stage of running.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #32
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

so i saw glory road this weekend. good movie, but i liked Titans better. the story of the 1966 texas western team is a great one. And the basketball scenes were ok (although, liked someone mentioned, were they throwing off-the-glass alley oops and reverse dunking in 1966? and i rolled my eyes during a crucial play in the last game against Kentucky (i won't spoil all of it, let me just say it involves someone saving a ball before it goes out of bounds), but i think they made a HUGE casting error with the lead actor.

I like josh lucas, but he just was simply flat in the movie. how are we supposed to believe that he could motivate these players when every single one of his speeches falls absolutely flat emotionally. and then, if you compare it to denzel in Titans, it's even worse. but i could listen to denzel read the phonebook and get motivated.

anyway, glory road is worth the price of matinee admission, simply because of the true story on which it's based. plus, at the end, they do some "what happened to them?" subtitles, which i love in any sports movie.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:23 AM   #33
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'll see glory road just to see Bob Ortegal and Ralph

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:28 AM   #34
MavsMandy

MavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I'll see glory road just to see Bob Ortegal and Ralph
yeah, that was so weird. i didn't realize they were in it, and as we were watching the movie i thought to myself, "boy, that announcer sounds an awful lot like ortegal." then they showed him and it was just really strange because i wasn't expecting it at all.

i liked glory road, but then i'm a sucker for basically any sports movie. friday night lights, coach carter, miracle, remember the titans...anything, really. and, going back to when i was little...sandlot, rookie of the year, little giants...good times.
MavsMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 AM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

...a note about Glory Road... From all accounts that I've heard or read, the movie completely attempts to change the reality of the situation of the season in question. Many have been on record saying that the racial tension that was portrayed in the movie is grossly overblown. Amazingly enough, most involved including an assistant coach said that race really wasn't that big of an issue with the team or with opponents' fans or anything else.

The real story isn't that it was an all black starting lineup versus an all white starting lineup... The real story was that only a couple of the starters had really even been recruited by other schools. Everyone was amazed at how such talent slipped through the cracks of recruiting. However, as far as African American goes in college basketball, they were already dominating the game. All of the 1st team All Americans that year were African American. This just happened to be the first team that had all black starters to win a title.

It's a shame that they took a great story in itself and twisted it to make a buck in the manner in which they did.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #36
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

right, the key was the "all black starters". I don't think they make it seem like these were the only african americans in college basketball. they continuously repeat that JoJo White (of Kansas) is an all-american, during the Kansas/Texas western game.