Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future
Default best love song??

I'm trying to plan a little romantic evening with the husband and want to put together a cd of good love songs. suggestions? so far I've chosen:

"Shameless" (the version sung by Garth Brooks)
"You and Me" Lifehouse
"I Knew I Loved You" Savage Garden
"Let's Make Love" Faith Hill and Tim McGraw

I would love to find 5 or 6 more really good ones.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is Gay

but click here.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
This thread is Gay

but click here.
come on, U2...you know you are a softie and this is right up your alley! plus, this thread would only be gay if I was looking for love songs so I could romance my girlfriend. and thanks for the suggestion!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but a guy that is posting in a thread entitled "best love song" HAS to proclaim it gay so as not to give opportunity to his fellow guy poster friends to call him gay. So that was simply to deflate any attack should someone try to harrass me for posting here. See, I already said it was gay, so that means I can say I don't think it's cool, regardless of the the fact I posted the best love song ever anyway.

Get it?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
FahQ

FahQ will become famous soon enoughFahQ will become famous soon enough

Mazzy star - fade into you
The Sundays - Wild Horses

And, I know. I feel gay right about now.
FahQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
raefformvp
Golden Member

totally get it! men are such strange creatures...

Old 01-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FahQ
Mazzy star - fade into you
The Sundays - Wild Horses

And, I know. I feel gay right about now.
Well obviously you are. I mean, you didn't proclaim the thread gay so you must be.

What is up FahQ? Long time no see. I guess it took a gay thread to bring you out of the woodworks.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
FahQ

FahQ will become famous soon enoughFahQ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well obviously you are. I mean, you didn't proclaim the thread gay so you must be.

What is up FahQ? Long time no see. I guess it took a gay thread to bring you out of the woodworks.
Yep, I was really tempted to chime in on the brokenback mountain thread, but this really drew me to it for some strange reason.

BTW- Raef, are you looking for romantic songs or mood music, or both. Because you might want to try, Telefon Tel Aviv - Sound In A Dark Room. It doesn't have many lyrics but for the music alone it might be something your looking for.

Last edited by FahQ; 01-15-2006 at 06:11 PM.
FahQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
raefformvp
Golden Member

Glad you are back and that my "gay thread" is responsible! =) I'm looking more for slow songs with romantic lyrics. thought we might have a nice candelight dinner and some dancing by candlelight. he is the girl in the relationship and the one who enjoys that kind of thing. weird, I know.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

What a gay thread..... It would be gay if I were to tell you that the song I suggested was my wife and I's first song to dance to after the wedding. So I won't tell you that.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
What a gay thread..... It would be gay if I were to tell you that the song I suggested was my wife and I's first song to dance to after the wedding. So I won't tell you that.
that is sooooo sweet! we had our reception at our church so there was no dancing. we made up for it on the honeymoon tho! there was a great band (actually they weren't a band, just 2 guys) that played every night in the bar at our hotel. we went down there all 4 nights and danced, so that was cool.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Dance
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Do Right Woman - Aretha Franklin.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 01-15-2006 at 11:04 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

The wife said "Can you feel the love tonight" by Elton John is her personal favorite.

*Shakes the gay off*

EDIT... She just hit me and told me to say ONE of her favorites, not her actual favorite...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-15-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is gay.

If you posted a link to anything gay, it totally invalidates the gay disclaimer and smacks you straight back into gaydom.

This thread is gay.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

[lie]Oh yeah, I forgot to add that my wife also told me to post that link to that song I mentioned earlier.[/lie]
Old 01-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
[lie]Oh yeah, I forgot to add that my wife also told me to post that link to that song I mentioned earlier.[/lie]
LMAO...

I swear dude...
Old 01-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #18
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I think I responded to a similar thread before. And once more, as a totally heterosexual, macho and masculine man, I recommend Felicity's many soundtracks.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to watch Felicity.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Marvin Gaye - Me and Mrs. Jones

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused. You think you need romantic music to impress your husband?

If you must...Lady in Red, Take My Breath Away, Open Arms are classics.

If that makes me gay, well, you boys don't know good music, I suppose.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:02 PM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

Barry White - Kiss and Say Goodbye

Old 01-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #23
raefformvp
Golden Member

Thanks guys for all your suggestions! We had a wonderful, romantic evening. And KG, no I don't NEED romantic music to impress my husband. I just wanted to make him feel special and loved. Mission accomplished.

The Felicity idea is fantastic. That show was great. I still catch episodes on WE (women's entertainment). In fact, I watched one this morning! I will make sure to find some songs there for the next time I decide to make the hubby feel special.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #24
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
VERY impressive song choice U2, always one of my personal favorites. Although I do have to say it's a song only white people would try to dance to... 'cause it's rather beatless. Awesome song, though.

I'm late to the party on this thread, but I would have to say that the Beatles' "In My Life," John Lennon's "Woman," Springsteen's "If I Should Fall Behind," and Prince's "Forever in my Life" and "Adore."

$$$$$$$$$$$
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

I'm sure you could make your husband feel special by making him watch any particular episode of Felicity in which she's trying to decide between Ben and Noel. It was such a poor decision by Keri Russell to cut her hair. She ended up looking like a Chia Pet.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:23 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

I never understood the fascination with Prince. I've always considered him among the most luckiest people in the world to not be flipping burgers at McDonald's.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:27 PM   #27
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I never understood the fascination with Prince. I've always considered him among the most luckiest people in the world to not be flipping burgers at McDonald's.
Because there are a host of guys flipping burgers at McDonald's that can play 20+ instruments?

This generation's Duke Ellington, my brother. I've got upwards of 80 CDs of Prince & Prince related-artist songs.. written, produced and most or all instruments played by the one guy. Plus plenty of otherwise "acquired" unreleased mp3s.

He's released some crap, though, too. Like anybody else.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:38 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

I could care less about what instruments he can play. There's thousands of people that could play multiple instruments that never made a dime in music. By the time I was 12, I could already play 4 so it's not that impressive.

Regardless, my point is that his voice sucks dog nuts in my humble opinion.

But, to each their own.

Last edited by Murphy3; 01-15-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #29
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Prince never seems to amaze me. (sorry, that's a bit too inside but I couldn't resist. There is only one board member that will get that and he/she hardly ever comes here... but if he does and reads this it will be worth it... so carry on).
Old 01-15-2006, 11:53 PM   #30
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
I'm sure you could make your husband feel special by making him watch any particular episode of Felicity in which she's trying to decide between Ben and Noel. It was such a poor decision by Keri Russell to cut her hair. She ended up looking like a Chia Pet.
wasn't that almost every episode? that didn't work out so well for me as I was a Noel supporter. that always happens to me. I feel like the character should be with the one he/she left behind. Joey so should have chosen Dawson not the loser Pacey. neither of those shows ended the way I wanted them to. I think it all goes back to when I saw Grease at the movie theater in like 2nd grade. As a child I thought Sandy looked better as a plain jane type of girl. (I'm about to reveal a very embarrassing tidbit....) I cried at the end of the movie and didn't stop for at least 10 or 15 minutes. my parents threatened to never take me to a movie again.

and I agree about the hair thing. once it grew out a little though, it wasn't so bad. but going as short as she did was a big mistake.

Last edited by raefformvp; 01-15-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #31
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

at the risk of sounding gay...

when my wife and i were planning our wedding, i had a HUGE hand in the songs we chose. And I quickly found that the problem is that most songs that are slow and seem to be love songs are actually songs about heartbreak and loss. not so loving.

but we did play "Fade Into You". My wife and I both love that song. you can call me gay if you want.

A Willie Nelson song was our first dance ("If My World Didn't Have You")

Obvious other choices are the Tim McGraw/Faith Hill duets (although i think "It's Your Love" is MUCH better (and less cheesy) than "Let's Make Love")

Good call on "Wild Horses", whoever said it. But I prefer the Stones' version.

Is "The Dance" really a love song? Isn't it about lost love?

One of my personal favorites is "Green & Dumb" by Roger Clyne and The Peacemakers, as well as their song "Your Name on a Grain of Rice". I 'd recommend that band to anyone.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-15-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:08 AM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Another good one is 'You were Always on my mind" by Willie Nelson

As for The Dance, you're probably right BBL..but, it's a good enough song to use in whatever manner you choose.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:10 AM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i mean, i love the song, and it's great, but i remember listening to it closely before our wedding and thinking it wasn't a good thing to play that song. it's all about looking back on a past relationship and remembering one special dance they had.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #34
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

"Something" by the Beatles: FWIW, Frank Sinatra called it the best love song of all time.

Last edited by mercury_rev; 01-16-2006 at 02:00 AM.
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 AM   #35
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

For a wedding dance, I can only think of one song:

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart

especially that specific rendition of it

Last edited by bernardos70; 01-16-2006 at 03:01 AM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #36
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
By the time I was 12, I could already play 4 so it's not that impressive.
Windchimes and school recorders don't count as instruments Murph!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-16-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #37
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

"We've Only Just Begun" by the Carpenters also qualifies as a classic love song.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #38
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Marvin Gaye - Me and Mrs. Jones

That's pretty Gay"e". Well done.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #39
raefformvp
Golden Member

come on Doc, you know you have a favorite love song. fess up! what is it?? this thread has enabled me to learrn more about our male members (wow, that didn't sound right!).

Old 01-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #40
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
I could care less about what instruments he can play. There's thousands of people that could play multiple instruments that never made a dime in music. By the time I was 12, I could already play 4 so it's not that impressive.

Regardless, my point is that his voice sucks dog nuts in my humble opinion.

But, to each their own.
And I am sure you play all 4 of those instruments as well as this.