Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-04-2005, 01:33 PM   #81
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:Star Wars: Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Please tell me you are kidding. Supershadow is a complete F'ing moron.
I repent for not being quite in the know as you....to me, a casual fan, it appeared as if his site is full of good stuff. So he does not know Lucas as he claims and How do you know this?
I started following the making of the prequels in the fall of 1997 right after the prequels started filming. aintitcool.com was cutting its teeth on spoilers for Episode 1. Theforce.net had just changed its name from the Star Wars Fan Page at Texas A&M. Back then, Lucas really did not know how to control spoilers and the desimination of spoilers by fans. There was tons of stuff out there.

Supershadow was around then. He put up all kinds of crap. It contradicted everything everyone else was saying about it. Then Lucas would put out official info that matched up (for the most part) with what everybody was saying EXCEPT SUPERSHADOW. He'd then "update" his site, stealing what other sites were saying, and saying he was working with "old drafts". He is full of it-has been for 5 years. Make no mistake, there was lots of misinformation out there then, but Supershadow was crazy.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #82
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Star Wars: Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

"and now you know......and knowing is half the battle."

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #83
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
"and now you know......and knowing is half the battle."
lol
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #84
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Harry Knowles' (aint-it-cool-news) review.

Awesome.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:07 PM   #85
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice review Dooby. That crack about Palpatine being Karl Rove's hero made me laugh out loud.

I'm just glad this is apparently an adult film and not some gushy Jar Jar bumping uglies with the ewoks while swimming in jello type cartoon fest.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #86
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

wow...that guy is a fan.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-20-2005, 03:28 AM   #87
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

is it any good?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:45 AM   #88
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

yes.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #89
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

There were light sabres..and stuff...and lots of anghst..and in the end, Anakin suffers some third degree burns, and then he turns in James Earl Jones.

Other than that - General Greivous (sp?) was seriously cool.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #90
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I don't want to give it away but... Anakin turns out to be Darth Vader. Who knew?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:03 AM   #91
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I just caught the movie today, and whereas I would say that it is easily the best of the three Lucas CGI prequels, the movie still had some problems. Unfortunately, the dialogue was atrociously written, many of the principal characters (Annakin, Padime, Obi-Wan) still seemed as listless and wooden as they did in the first two movies, and most unforgivably, there seemed to be a real disconnect between the young Annakin/Darth Vader character of the prequels and the Vader of the original trilogy.

I was hoping that Annakin would be portrayed as being an intelligent, capable, but flawed character in this third prequel- somewhat more akin to the ruthlessly intelligent, powerful Vader that we all grew to love in the first three movies- but instead Lucas wrote Hayden Christensen's Annakin as some kind of a naive mope who never seems to really grasp what is going on and who serves as a ridiculous child-like cat's paw to Senator Palpatine (a role ably filled by Ian McDiarmid, in what was probably the best acting performance in the movie), and who whines incessantly and vacuously about his visions of Padime dying in child-birth, about the fact that the Jedi Counsel won't make him a master, about how he should be going on a certain Jedi mission instead of Obi-Wan, etc...

Perhaps the most ridiculous Hayden Christensen-Vader moment came near the end of the movie, as at the emperor's behest, medical droids reconstructed Annakin's mangled, burned body into the form of the iconic Darth Vader body, and after this resuscitation, the old, deeply familiar James Earl Jones voiced Vader was forced to read Lucas' horrible lines and hysterically pleads the question to the emperor, "Where is PADDIME?! Is she Alright!?!?". Darth Vader then proceeds to break free from the restraints of his medical table (looking very Frankenstein's monster-like), and shrieks in dismay as Ian McDiarmid tells him that Vader himself had killed the Nabooian princess. Of course my judgement is completely subjective, but I just cannot imagine the original Vader behaving as ridiculously as he did in that scene (perhaps my simple synopsis does not express the ridiculousness of the scene adequately, but to my eyes it was patently comical), and my great complaint is that I cannot imagine the naive, dopey Hayden Christensen-played Annakin of the prequels developing into the powerful, sardonicly brilliant Darth Vader of the first trilogy. And considering the fact that I grew up loving the Star Wars franchise (y'all should have seen my toy collection when I was a kid), I found that fact to be greatly disheartening.

Aside from that though, I thought the CGI was amazing, the fight scenes (both large scale battles and light saber fights) were excellently executed, and I greatly enjoyed seeing the long sequence illustrating the happy slaughter of the insipidly wordy, stupid Jedi's by squads of storm troopers (that was the high point of the movie for me), and I was happy to see Annakin unleash some chop-socky on the young Jedi 'younglings' in the Jedi temple, killing them all and leaving their respective body parts rended and mouldering for Yoda to find. All in all, I found the movie to be well worth watching (as did most of America, considering the fact that the movie pulled in a record-shattering $50 million gross on it's first day of release), but ultimately a bit disapointing, as Lucas just seems to have lost much of the directoral magic that made the first three movies so special, and he leaves the end of his second trilogy feeling disconnected from his original great work, almost superflous to the overall narrative of the Star Wars story, and horribly disjointed in execution...
Old 05-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #92
yukmunky

yukmunky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Perhaps the most ridiculous Hayden Christensen-Vader moment came near the end of the movie, as at the emperor's behest, medical droids reconstructed Annakin's mangled, burned body into the form of the iconic Darth Vader body, and after this resuscitation, the old, deeply familiar James Earl Jones voiced Vader was forced to read Lucas' horrible lines and hysterically pleads the question to the emperor, "Where is PADDIME?! Is she Alright!?!?". Darth Vader then proceeds to break free from the restraints of his medical table (looking very Frankenstein's monster-like), and shrieks in dismay as Ian McDiarmid tells him that Vader himself had killed the Nabooian princess. Of course my judgement is completely subjective, but I just cannot imagine the original Vader behaving as ridiculously as he did in that scene (perhaps my simple synopsis does not express the ridiculousness of the scene adequately, but to my eyes it was patently comical), and my great complaint is that I cannot imagine the naive, dopey Hayden Christensen-played Annakin of the prequels developing into the powerful, sardonicly brilliant Darth Vader of the first trilogy. And considering the fact that I grew up loving the Star Wars franchise (y'all should have seen my toy collection when I was a kid), I found that fact to be greatly disheartening.
I found this scene to be brilliantly unsettling. The whole point of this movie was to try and present Anakin in a different light than the Vader we all previously know. There were points in the movie where the Jedi Council did seem like they were mistreating Anakin and I felt for him. There were more times where I felt like Anakin was just being a brat and I wished someone would kill him. There were times I could sympathize with his confusion and attitude because he was a kid who grew up as a slave, whose mom died, and who had infinite power but hardly anyone who trusted him.

About the Frankenstein like motions...what else do you expect from someone taking their first steps on robotic legs? I thought his reaction was totally believable too. The guy has just had his legs and an arm chopped off, his body burnt to a crisp, he killed his wife (even if it was indirectly), he performed countless dispicable acts to try and save his wife (whom he ulitimately killed), was turned into a monster(the scene with his computerized mask closing in seemed like the prison door slamming shut to me), and realizes that he has been nothing but a pawn this whole time.

From then on, all he had left to do was to serve his master and work on building his empire (which all comes in due time and which distracts him from his terrible past), but the recency of those events are simply too much for him to know how to handle at first. There is lots of time between episodes III and IV in which Vader honed his skills for pure ruthlesness. I think it is peoples own minds and love for what they are used to Vader being that is preventing them from seeing just how great this scene really was.
yukmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:00 PM   #93
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said yukmunky, my judgement is completely subjective, but I appreciate the things that you liked about the scene, and I'm glad that Lucas' vision found more resonance with you than with me.

I guess I was just disapointed that we never really got any good time getting to watch a Vader more akin to the one of the first trilogy, and I find myself almost wishing that the first Jar-Jar/pod race movie had never been made, and that instead we would still have a third movie coming down the pipe that would showcase the establishment of the Empire and actually show Darth Vader and the Emperor crushing rebellious planets of the Republic with Star Destroyers, Storm Troopers, Tie Fighters and all of the other familiar Imperial tools of the first trilogy (and perhaps show the Jedi order being destroyed in that hypothetical third movie instead of in this last Sith movie). Essentially, I think the trilogy might have been a lot stronger and more entertaining if the first movie had focussed on the disintegration of the Republic, the second movie had shown Annakin turn to the darkside and betray Obi Wan and the Jedi, and the third (imaginary movie) had shown a young, but maturing Vader crush the Jedi order using the tools of the Empire...
Old 05-23-2005, 09:16 AM   #94
Dooby
Diamond Member

Lucas gets it right.

Finally saw it Saturday night. Without going into too much detail, this is what I wanted to see in each prequel. Lucas hit the tonal notes that were hit in the old trilogy. Repetitive use of dialog from the old trilogy; inverted dialog. It is what I always wanted. I loved C3PO saying he was getting used to space travel. I liked it a lot. This is the first of the prequels that I think will grow on me.

Anybody notice they set the upcoming TV show up perfectly?

Old 05-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #95
MeMavsFan

MeMavsFan is on a distinguished road

i heard the new TV series is supposed to take place after the ROTJ. Word has it that Mark Hammel has already been signed to play Luke again although the show will feature new younger Jedi and Luke will only make occasional appearances with more of a Yoda like role.
MeMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #96
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure that the TV series covers the time in between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #97
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
I just caught the movie today, and whereas I would say that it is easily the best of the three Lucas CGI prequels, the movie still had some problems. Unfortunately, the dialogue was atrociously written, many of the principal characters (Annakin, Padime, Obi-Wan) still seemed as listless and wooden as they did in the first two movies, and most unforgivably, there seemed to be a real disconnect between the young Annakin/Darth Vader character of the prequels and the Vader of the original trilogy.

I was hoping that Annakin would be portrayed as being an intelligent, capable, but flawed character in this third prequel- somewhat more akin to the ruthlessly intelligent, powerful Vader that we all grew to love in the first three movies- but instead Lucas wrote Hayden Christensen's Annakin as some kind of a naive mope who never seems to really grasp what is going on and who serves as a ridiculous child-like cat's paw to Senator Palpatine (a role ably filled by Ian McDiarmid, in what was probably the best acting performance in the movie), and who whines incessantly and vacuously about his visions of Padime dying in child-birth, about the fact that the Jedi Counsel won't make him a master, about how he should be going on a certain Jedi mission instead of Obi-Wan, etc...

Aside from that though, I thought the CGI was amazing, the fight scenes (both large scale battles and light saber fights) were excellently executed, and I greatly enjoyed seeing the long sequence illustrating the happy slaughter of the insipidly wordy, stupid Jedi's by squads of storm troopers (that was the high point of the movie for me), and I was happy to see Annakin unleash some chop-socky on the young Jedi 'younglings' in the Jedi temple, killing them all and leaving their respective body parts rended and mouldering for Yoda to find. All in all, I found the movie to be well worth watching (as did most of America, considering the fact that the movie pulled in a record-shattering $50 million gross on it's first day of release), but ultimately a bit disapointing, as Lucas just seems to have lost much of the directoral magic that made the first three movies so special, and he leaves the end of his second trilogy feeling disconnected from his original great work, almost superflous to the overall narrative of the Star Wars story, and horribly disjointed in execution...
though I liked it more than evil, I agree with just about all his comments...

and to evil, I'd say that Darth Vader has about 19 years or so to become the character you and I love so don't be too critical of this one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2005, 01:21 PM   #98
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

A few thoughts on Ep. 3:

1) I'm too old to go to midnight showings, and therefore didn't enjoy this movie like I should. So, after watching it a second time this Saturday, I appreciated the movie more and feel like Lucas has gained a little some redemption from the kiddie Ep. 1 and the poorly acted/scripted Ep. 2.

2) All the sabre-play was excellent. If you were a fan of Ep. 1's "Duel of Fates" soundtracked sabre-battle between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan and Quiagon (forgive the misspelling), then you have to love the ones in this movie.

3) The effeccts were beautiful and added to the enjoyment of the movie.

4) The dialogue was stil cliched and cheesy, but maybe it is because I'm a more sophisticated viewer (yeah right), then when I was nine (not by much).

5) I just did NOT buy Annakin's leap from regret-ridden Jedi to ruthless-killing Sith Lord when he went from accepting his Vader monicker to suddenly slaying little Jedi younglings. It was just to far to go for a character, and it almost ruined the movie for me.

OVERALL: Thank you for the PG-13 rating and sparing me from watching this with little kids who are wondering what's going on. I give the movie a thumbs up with the one caveat NOT to expect too much and NOT to watch it at midnight.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #99
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
I'm pretty sure that the TV series covers the time in between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
Quote:
OBI-WAN: I've recalibrated the code warning all surviving Jedi to stay away.

YODA: Good . . . For the Clones to discover the recalibration, a long time it will take. To change it back, longer still. Hurry.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #100
kingrex
Platinum Member

Which network is going to show this TV series?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #101
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Which network is going to show this TV series?
I'm sure they're that far along yet....

Old 05-24-2005, 10:18 AM   #102
kingrex
Platinum Member

One more thing . . .

Natalie Portman looked absolutely stunning in this movie, except for one scene early in the movie. She was on the balcony of their high-rise apartment, and the lighting just made her face look off somehow. Did anyone else catch this?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:31 AM   #103
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

i thought she looked awful...it was probably that scene...just hideous...
Old 05-24-2005, 10:31 AM   #104
sike
The Preacha

I dont know about the lighting, but I did not feel she did a good job of acting....every line seemed so melodramatic...

Old 05-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #105
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
I dont know about the lighting, but I did not feel she did a good job of acting....every line seemed so melodramatic...
That's how she played it pretty much in all three from Ep. 1 to 3. She seemed like a better actress as a young kid than she does now as an adult. Did you see her in The Professional? Much better acting job there than here.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:39 AM   #106
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Almost every actory in this entire series was brought down by the terrible writing. Portman was terrible, Samuel L. Jackson was just God awful. The only guy I found believable in Episode Three was Palpatine. Sad really, because the movie was still enjoyable despite the terrible dialogue.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #107
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jthig32
Almost every actory in this entire series was brought down by the terrible writing. Portman was terrible, Samuel L. Jackson was just God awful. The only guy I found believable in Episode Three was Palpatine. Sad really, because the movie was still enjoyable despite the terrible dialogue.

For me, the performance of Palpatine (along with the incredible CGI) was about the only thing that made this movie half way palatable.

I'm not convinced it was the crappy dialogue that brought the actors down (however, bad actors certainly make bad dialogue even worse). Star Wars dialgoue has never been that great (although I think "New Hope" won a screenplay oscar), but the original cast was waaaayyy more enchanting than the newbies. There's hasn't been a single human performance in the new trilogy that comes close to matching the brilliance of Harrison Ford - with perhaps the exception of Sen. Palpatine, as noted above.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:24 AM   #108
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
For me, the performance of Palpatine (along with the incredible CGI) was about the only thing that made this movie half way palatable.

I'm not convinced it was the crappy dialogue that brought the actors down (however, bad actors certainly make bad dialogue even worse). Star Wars dialgoue has never been that great (although I think "New Hope" won a screenplay oscar), but the original cast was waaaayyy more enchanting than the newbies. There's hasn't been a single human performance in the new trilogy that comes close to matching the brilliance of Harrison Ford - with perhaps the exception of Sen. Palpatine, as noted above.
Unfortunately, now that Lucas has the budget to create all the effects he wanted to have in Ep. 4 to 6, he forgot why those first 3 movies worked. We actually cared about the characters. He tried to do that by force, by inserting characters from the earlier movies into these 3 movies. The result was:

1) R2D2 flying around with side-rocket propulsiong
2) C3PO piloting ships and showing up in Tatooine with no plating.
3) Chewbaca giving Yoda piggy-back rides
4) Bobba Fett needing a foster home

I'm surprised we didn't see Han Solo stealing milk money on behalf of the local bully Jabba.

Having said all that, Ep. 3 was still the third best movie of the Sextology behind Ep. 4 and 5. It had it's faults, but it also did what it needed to do which was entertain the audience and tie it into the first 3 movies.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #109
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

"Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo..."

hell.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #110
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
"Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo..."

hell.
Lucas' attempt to appeal to the fairer sex.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:31 PM   #111
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Nat can still act.. see "Closer" for evidence of this.. but I really enjoyed the movie, say what you will about the acting. But I'm also a Star Wars geek.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:34 PM   #112
kingrex
Platinum Member

I'm a Star Wars geek too, and I liked the movie overall, but you have to admit the faults of the movie too.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:44 PM   #113
sike
The Preacha

I agree with poo about Portman...she has the chops...but her Amadala was a stick figure at best.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #114
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I think she's usually pretty good, although she's usually in movies that beat me into submission, but my wife loves (Closer, Where the Heart Is, Garden State).

Plus I love Sam Jackson, and love most of his movies, but they were both terrible in this series.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #115
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

aghh i missed sw3 last weekend which means i have to wait until this weekend comes..i feel so left out lol

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #116
sike
The Preacha

you should....because you are.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #117
Dooby
Diamond Member

[quote]
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:

I'm surprised we didn't see Han Solo stealing milk money on behalf of the local bully Jabba.

I have read several places that in the first draft, Solo was in it for a moment. Lucas thought better of it.

I hear that complaint a lot, as Bob Sturm on the radio said, "It sure seems like a small universe." I don't agree with the criticism. It goes back to one word "destiny". People (or droids or aliens) being in the right place at the right moment, there lives interweaving.

First, I don't think people realize how often similar coincidences happen throughout history. Is the civil war too obvious? How many times did West Point roommates just happen to line up against eachother on the field of battle? Or brothers for that matter? Patton in WWII just happened to liberate the POW camp where his son in law was.

Second, I don't think most people realize how many movies or books or TV shows the same can be said about. Everybody just so happens to be dating... or the brother of... or run into on the street... the one person that is able to solve some impossible situation or has some extremely specialized field of expertise. Read through another thread in this forum on "LOST"; if you go by that show the world must be the smallest place on earth.

If the elimination of cosmic coincidences is a requisite for a good film or story, then there have been precious few good films made.

The C-3po drivvel relates back, believe it or not to the Empire Strikes Back. Chewie with 3PO on his back goes nuts and knocks a stormtrooper off the ledge and Boba Fett raises his weapon and Vader pushes Fett's rifle away.

I do kind of wonder why R2 has to fly in Ep. II. He was supposed to fly in Ep. I, too. But in ep. III, I think it is used to good effect and I liked how it was done quite a bit. Doesn't explain why he never flies in IV-VI, though. Although you could argue that there was no other way for R2 to get aboard the X-Wing on Dagobah-think about it. I halfway expect that to be shown in a bonus scene in a few years when the high definition DVD's come out.

Chewbacca-I think that when you make the decision to show battles on a number of planets, the wookie homeworld was a logical choice. And therefore, Chewie being in a cameo logical as well. I am just thinkful they didn't have a little kid chewie running around.

Boba fett-In almost 5 hours of film in Ep. V and VI, Boba Fett had less than 10 minutes of screentime, but yet was one of hte most popular characters. Lucas wasn't going to get away with doing episodes I-III without having someone in mandaloran armor in it. It wasn't going to happen. I don't like how it was done and I thought it could have been done differently for better effect, but at some level it had to happen.

Old 05-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #118
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have read several places that in the first draft, Solo was in it for a moment. Lucas thought better of it.
I'm glad Lucas showed restraint there.

Quote:
I hear that complaint a lot, as Bob Sturm on the radio said, "It sure seems like a small universe." I don't agree with the criticism. It goes back to one word "destiny". People (or droids or aliens) being in the right place at the right moment, there lives interweaving.
I agree, if it makes sense in the overall story like seeing Yoda and Obi-Wan makes sense. However, some of these characters are forcibly placed in the story. Was it really necessary to have young Anakin build C-3PO? In 20 years, wouldn't they have developed a more advanced version of an Astro Droid than R2D2? I'll accept Boba Fett, Yoda & Obi-wan, but there's no need to have the droids and Han Solo in these prequels.

Quote:
Although you could argue that there was no other way for R2 to get aboard the X-Wing on Dagobah-think about it. I halfway expect that to be shown in a bonus scene in a few years when the high definition DVD's come out.
You don't think Yoda might have obliged R2D2 into the X-wing? I mean he did lift the X-wing out of the muck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Chewbacca-I think that when you make the decision to show battles on a number of planets, the wookie homeworld was a logical choice. And therefore, Chewie being in a cameo logical as well. I am just thinkful they didn't have a little kid chewie running around.
With Lucas' track record, I'm surprised he didn't have mini-Chewie running around. It would have been fine not having Chewie there. It's not as if he really added to the story anyway. And by the way, is he wearing the exact same gunbelt that he wears 20 years later? C'mon! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
I don't like how it was done and I thought it could have been done differently for better effect, but at some level it had to happen.
Like I said, really Boba Fett's back story was fine, but just leave the droids out of it, or at least use other models of the droids. Most of my "gripes" are petty, and God knows I couldn't have doen better than Lucas, but part of being a fan of this saga is to love it so much that you hate it when Lucas does something to screw up its perfection.

Wow, I have spent too much time on this post, but as with all things Star Wars, I thoroughly enjoyed it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #119
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Saw it last night. Easily the best of the three prequels (or whatever you want to call them). Parts of the dialogue still sucked and the acting was often just silly, but this film managed to hit a note of darkness and intensity that the others had lacked and that I'd hoped since I first learned they were making these movies would be captured in Ep. III. I left the theater happy, which is something I hadn't done with a Star Wars movie in a very, very long time.

And btw, I'm assuming some other people must have seen the Narnia trailer. That's the first time I've caught it and it looks freakin' awesome!

Also, Fantastic 4 looks like it's going to have some cool action scenes but other than that is pretty much going to suck. That movie with Jamie Foxx and Jessica Biel (good god that girl's fine), despite having the worst plot line since Short Circuit, looks like it might be cool (did I mention Jessica Biel is a hottie[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]). And what's up with the SUV-from-hell batmobile? The philosophy behind that decision just rubs me the wrong way.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:46 AM   #120
Dooby
Diamond Member

The plot of Stealth looks like the second half of "Deal of the Century" with Gregory Hines and Chevy Chase. Word to the wise on "Stealth", Jamie Foxx is barely in it. They edited the trailers to capitalize on Foxx's oscar buzz from Colateral and Ray. Knowing that watch the trailer again and it is obvious. Foxx plays the Dead Meat character from Hot Shots II or Goose from Top Gun. He is the obligatory wingman guy that dies in the middle of the film. Josh Lucas, the guy that played the husband in Sweet Home Alabama, is the real protagonist of the film.