Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
GNJONES
Banned

GNJONES is infamous around these partsGNJONES is infamous around these partsGNJONES is infamous around these partsGNJONES is infamous around these parts
Default Weaker Opponents

We tend to play down to people's level, I'm worried this could hurt us in the earlier rounds of the playoffs. What if we play the Spurs? If we give them the slightest bit of hope, they could destroy us. Another point I would like to bring up is our point differential over these past 13 games. If I'm correct, it's around 7.7 points, which isn't that great if you ask me. This looks like the 06-07 season to me.
GNJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

When did John Hollinger join DM.com?
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

They handled the Spurs pretty well last year and have gone 2 of 3 so far this season against them. Spurs have been erratic as hell this year-they really shouldn't be a worry.
Have you done research on the point differential issue or are you just parroting Hollinger? Because that's what your post looks like.
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNJONES View Post
We tend to play down to people's level, I'm worried this could hurt us in the earlier rounds of the playoffs. What if we play the Spurs? If we give them the slightest bit of hope, they could destroy us. Another point I would like to bring up is our point differential over these past 13 games. If I'm correct, it's around 7.7 points, which isn't that great if you ask me. This looks like the 06-07 season to me.
The only place I do NOT worry about playing down to a teams level is in the playoffs. What I have a concern with is dropping in the standings because of it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

In playoffs its usually win or go home. In the regular season some of the minutes of the players have to be heavily regulated, tinkering with line ups, etc. That has a lot to do with whether we play down with opponents or not.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

While the Mavs have continued their history of letting weak teams hang around and think they have a chance, these post-trade Mavs know how to step on the gas and rebuild leads they give up. They have been quite impressive at that.

I think its always dangerous when they play a long string of pasties, its like having too long a layoff between games. It would not surprize me to see them lose a game or 2 to weak teams. As long as they stay out of 4th, they'll be fine.

In reality, to be NBA champs, the Mavs will have to beat both Denver and LA. It doesn't matter much when they meet, they just have to win. Nothing much else matters.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNJONES View Post
A point differential of 7.7 points would be #1 in the NBA.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

Playing down to our opponents level isnt gonna happen come playoff time. We are just too talented. However, this losing to Minny and GS crap during the season is the exact kinda thing thatll keep us outta the 1 seed. We gotta step up to the competition, no matter their skill level. Shouldnt be giving bad teams breathing room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I still believe that the mavs pre-trade didn't think they had it, and they were correct. Without dampier or a replacement they knew they were going nowhere. They also knew that josh was no longer much of a part of the team and the best they had was going to be jjb at sg to start. Not very good budda'....It would be tough to get up for everygame when you are a vet team who's only reason for playing the game anymore is to compete for a ring.

Only the last game against the hapless nets have I seen a letup.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Playing down to our opponents level isnt gonna happen come playoff time. We are just too talented. However, this losing to Minny and GS crap during the season is the exact kinda thing thatll keep us outta the 1 seed. We gotta step up to the competition, no matter their skill level. Shouldnt be giving bad teams breathing room...
Each game is a battle, when these guys decide to take a night off, it hurts because that's one less game you have to do battle in. Look at the 72 win Bulls team, look at the KG championship Celtic team, they fought night in and night out. There was a sense or urgency for the Celtics when they faced the Sonics, or Clippers. This team, there isn't and there isn't much time to get it together.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
GNJONES
Banned

GNJONES is infamous around these partsGNJONES is infamous around these partsGNJONES is infamous around these partsGNJONES is infamous around these parts

For all those talking about the point differential being the best in the league, it is low for a 13 game win streak. As for playing down to our opponents, all I can say is I told you so. Ya'll can suck it.
GNJONES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jamyoa? is that you?, shut the fluff up!, thread fail