Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #41
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default RE:NVE/Dampier to Dallas...Screw Portland

Quote:
I'd also love to make that deal.......as long as it involves NONE of the Hawaii-Five-O's
--MT, I have to assume that you're talking about the Big 3 plus Walker and Jamison...you may have to get used to the idea of Toine leaving since nearly every trade idea that's being floated in the press involves him.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:45 PM   #42
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: NVE/Dampier to Dallas...Screw Portland

I know Dampier is having a great year... but this is still ERICK DAMPIER. He's spent his whole career sucking. Now he's had a good third of a season and we're ready to dump our three time all-star power forward for him. Sorry, but I have too many memories of the Mark Jacksons, Isaac Austins, Jim McIlvaines, Calvin Booths, and Eric Montrosses of the world to invest that much in Dampier right now. This summer, someone stupid is going to break the bank to aquire this scrub who's flopped around for eight years to the tune of 8 points and 6.9 rebounds. Let's hope that stupid team isn't the Mavericks.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:00 PM   #43
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

MADAPE ... I agree with your skepticism. I would love to have the Dampier of this year, long term on the Mavs. But I am leery of whether he will give you that, on a long term basis. If I was CERTAIN, that would definitely be one to go after.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #44
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road

What does Golden State want? Salary cap space. What does Dallas want? A big man and a backup PG. What does Portland want? A talented player who does not have a big contract. Hmm.....

Golden State trades NVE and Erick Dampier
Golden State receives Rasheed Wallace, Travis Best, Marquis Daniels, Cash, and a 2nd round pick

Dallas trades Antoine Walker, Travis Best, Marquis Daniels, Cash, and a 2nd round pick
Dallas receives NVE and Erick Dampier

Portland trades Rasheed Wallace
Portland receives Antoine Walker and Tony Delk

The trade works. Golden State gets salary cap relief this year with Wallace and Best coming off the books. Daniels, Cash, and draft pick are nice, cheap throws-in the deal. Dallas takes care of two big needs. Portland gets something for Wallace. I believe it makes sense for all three teams involved. Your thoughts?
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #45
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: akaarod03
What does Golden State want? Salary cap space. What does Dallas want? A big man and a backup PG. What does Portland want? A talented player who does not have a big contract. Hmm.....

Golden State receives Rasheed Wallace, Travis Best, Marquis Daniels, Cash, and a 2nd round pick

Dallas trades Antoine Walker, Travis Best, Marquis Daniels, Cash, and a 2nd round pick

The trade works. Golden State gets salary cap relief this year with Wallace and Best coming off the books. Daniels, Cash, and draft pick are nice, cheap throws-in the deal. Dallas takes care of two big needs. Portland gets something for Wallace. I believe it makes sense for all three teams involved. Your thoughts?
Sorry but thats not worth it for dallas...and why would portland take walker and delk when they can get dampier and nve
Old 02-05-2004, 04:22 PM   #46
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: akaarod03

You would need to kiss this seaon goodbye. We would be trading all backup to Steve Nash for a gimpy NVE. We'd have a very short bench as well since we'd only have 12 players total counting those on the IR. It's too much of a turnover this late in the year to expect the new team to jell by the playoffs. We pay way too much for what we're getting.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:38 PM   #47
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

This revision works better....

Trade Walker and Delk to Portland, and send Best to GS. Get back NVE and Dampier.

Portland gets Walker and Delk (neither is a long term contract, both have talent) and gets rid of Wallace.

GS gets 2 expiring contracts in Wallace and Best, for NVE and Dampier.

Old 02-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #48
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein

Trade Walker and Delk to Portland, and send Best to GS. Get back NVE and Dampier.

Portland gets Walker and Delk (neither is a long term contract, both have talent) and gets rid of Wallace.

I like this idea. It seems as reasonable as everything that's being thrown around. In my mind, that would instantly make Dallas huge contenders - maybe even favorites. Just look:

Dampier/Bradley/Fortson
Dirk/Williams
Jamison/Najera
Finley/Howard/Daniels
Nash/Nick

Unfortunately, I just don't think we have all the assets to pull that deal off. Truth is, Portland is better off as long as Dallas isn't involved.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:03 PM   #49
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I like this adaption. Except it won't work. NVE and Damp for Wallace won't work. Portland doesn't have any other one person to make it work either. Their has to be more added to it.

This works:

Golden State trades: PG Nick Van Exel (13.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.9 apg in 34.1 minutes)
PF Troy Murphy (7.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 0.6 apg in 20.6 minutes)
C Erick Dampier (11.9 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 0.7 apg in 32.0 minutes)
Golden State receives: SF Rasheed Wallace (17.5 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 2.5 apg in 38.0 minutes)
SG Ruben Patterson (8.0 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.0 apg in 24.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -7.3 ppg, -9.3 rpg, and -2.7 apg.

Portland trades: SF Rasheed Wallace (17.5 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 2.5 apg in 38.0 minutes)
SG Ruben Patterson (8.0 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.0 apg in 24.5 minutes)
Portland receives: PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 29 games)
PF Antoine Walker (15.9 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 5.4 apg in 47 games)
PF Danny Fortson (3.7 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 0.1 apg in 35 games)
Change in team outlook: +0.7 ppg, +5.1 rpg, and +1.8 apg.

Dallas trades: PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 16.3 minutes)
PF Antoine Walker (15.9 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 5.4 apg in 37.9 minutes)
PF Danny Fortson (3.7 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 0.1 apg in 11.8 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Nick Van Exel (13.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.9 apg in 30 games)
PF Troy Murphy (7.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 0.6 apg in 11 games)
C Erick Dampier (11.9 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 0.7 apg in 45 games)
Change in team outlook: +6.6 ppg, +4.2 rpg, and +0.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Portland gets out of Wallace, and Patterson: and they aquire Walker, Delk, and Fortson...major coup if Wallace is gone at the end of the year anyway.
Golden State gets out of NVE contract, and gets the cap space for Wallace: They have to take Patterson though.
Dallas loses Walker, Delk, and Fortson: but gains a starting C, a legitimate backup PF, and a legitimate backup PG.

IMHO, this makes sense for all involved, and will push Dallas over the top as far as talent goes.

C Dampier 26, Bradley 16, Williams 6
PF Nowitzki 32, Murphy 16
SF Howard 18, Jamison 30
SG Finley 32, Daniels/Howard 8, Van Exel 8
PG Nash 32, Van Exel 12, Best 4

IR ICE, TAW, Eddie

Nellie would be in matchup nirvana....He could go big, small, etc. What a matchup nightmare.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:06 PM   #50
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

DDH ....The HUGE problem I have with that, is you dont know what you get with NVE and Dampier.

Dampier, do you get the longterm stiff, or do you get the excellent C from this season?
NVE, do you get the electric contributor from last year in Dallas, or the creaky kneed overpaid backup in GS?

To me the key would be Dampier - if you KNEW he was going to be this good every year, BAM you jump all over that. But thats a huge risk, and you will be adding big bucks this summer to that gamble (when he opts out, and you pay him more to keep him) if you make it. Scary.

Old 02-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #51
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

DALM ...since when does NVE+Dampier not work for Wallace? You mean Portland would need more? Or is this a cap issue?
Old 02-05-2004, 05:12 PM   #52
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
DALM ...since when does NVE+Dampier not work for Wallace? You mean Portland would need more? Or is this a cap issue?
According to realgm cap issue.
By talent I would agree, but by realgm..it wouldn't.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 02-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #53
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
According to realgm cap issue.
By talent I would agree, but by realgm..it wouldn't.
I believe if Dallas sent it's trade exception to GS in that deal it would work. Is that legal, or does a team have to use a trade exception by itself?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:46 PM   #54
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

DALM, SPEEDY .... I think realGM just messed up.

If the numbers at HoopsHype are accurate (and typically they are), then only Dallas would be getting back more salary than it sends. Both Portland (Wallace for Walker-Delk) and GS (NVE-Dampier for Wallace-Best) get back less salary than they trade away.

Dallas trades away Wallace - Delk - Best = 17.35M total ..... gets NVE - Dampier = 18.76M total. That is easily within the 15% cushion. So no trade exception or changes would be needed.

I think realGM just screwed up. I have found that happens at times with their software, so I just check the numbers myself rather than use them.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:53 PM   #55
akaarod03

Everyone is concerned about Dampier...if he's legit or not...if he's just playing well to get a new contract. My thing is this...is Dampier better than the Bradley/Williams/Fortson combo? Yes. Is he better than Lafrentz? Yes. Likewise about NVE...his knees are definitely a concern. But a 75% NVE is way better than Travis "used to be good but is now a spare" Best.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:01 PM   #56
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

AKAA ...yes they would both be an upgrade. But if you are trading away Walker, that is likely THE TRADE CHIP that you have available to upgrade at C. Thus the question becomes "is what we will get with Dampier the most that we can get for Walker?" If Dampier reverts back to form, then we get screwed badly out of a shot to get someone feasible. If Dampier remains very good, then it is a wise use of Walker. But how can you know?

And you dont have time with Dampier to wait-n-see ...this summer he will opt out, and you will have to plop about 80M in his lap and commit to him long-term, if you think he is the answer. You dont want to trade Walker and then end up with zero, so if you trade for Dampier you are basically committed in a HUGE way.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:06 PM   #57
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

It looks like realGM has NVE's salary this year at almost 12M, while HoopsHype has him at a bit under 11. That is the problem.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:28 PM   #58
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
AKAA ...yes they would both be an upgrade. But if you are trading away Walker, that is likely THE TRADE CHIP that you have available to upgrade at C. Thus the question becomes "is what we will get with Dampier the most that we can get for Walker?" If Dampier reverts back to form, then we get screwed badly out of a shot to get someone feasible. If Dampier remains very good, then it is a wise use of Walker. But how can you know?

And you dont have time with Dampier to wait-n-see ...this summer he will opt out, and you will have to plop about 80M in his lap and commit to him long-term, if you think he is the answer. You dont want to trade Walker and then end up with zero, so if you trade for Dampier you are basically committed in a HUGE way.
PE: I think you are correct that Walker is our most likely trade chip for a center. What is not likely is that you would be able to trade for Shaq or Duncan. Now I am not advocating this trade idea, but---

Even if Dampier reverts back to prior years he is still an upgrade a center for the Mavs. Who else is available and is considerably better than Dampier even at his prior two year performance level? I don't see a whole lot of people in that category. So, the question should be is there anyone pure center who is available that is worth using the Walker chip on?
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:40 PM   #59
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

PE, good points on Dampier. If the trade was made, Dallas may be looking at a situation similar to Raef's. Only this time our future starting center would be about 3 years older at the beginning of his contract. On the topic of Walker's value, It's very difficult to judge his trade value since teams constantly change the direction they want to go in as the season progresses, such as Phoenix. However, we know what AW's value was when we acquired him, and at the time that was the best deal Boston could get.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 07:42 PM   #60
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

UBERFAN ... I dont know how good Dampier is, but no doubt the Mavs have the ability to scout him in detail. The fact that he will cost a HUGE commitment, right up front, without a chance to make sure of what you have, is the part that would make me hesitate the most.

As to "what better choices do you have" - there are several ways to go that might be just as good or better, especially if the Mavs scouts are not certain how good Dampier will play.

On the trade front - Out of the young options, Chicago has publically stated that EVERYONE there is available, which means Curry and Chandler are possible targets. Kwame Brown in Wash is also said to be available. There are the usual older vet types, of course, as a fallback.

On the free agent front, Ostertag appears to be the most promising option this summer. Names like Rebraca, Divacs, KThomas, Camby, and several others might also fit.

If I was trading for a C solution, my prime target would be Chi. They no doubt would LOVE to get rid of vet ADavis, who has a monstrously bloated contract, so perhaps an offer that includes Davis plus Curry (or Chandler) for a pair like Walker and Delk would work. Then the Mavs would have the vet for now, plus the kid to work with, in exchange for THE TRADE CHIP. If either trade were doable, I would prefer that one over the Dampier trade.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:47 PM   #61
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick side-point (probably completely off-topic, but w/e): Travis best came here, accepted a not-so-great contract for himself, 1 year, vet. minimum, cause he wanted to play in Dallas and wanted to have another shot at a title... hardly ever do I see a trade where Best's name isn't thrown out there. NVE is great but the injuries this year make me doubt his durability from now on. Travis Best has been playing pretty well lately, nothing spectacular but night in night out, he'll give you some solid minutes. So finally we get a free agent that wants to sign with us, and we trade him the first chance we have? That would really give some credit to the rumor of free-agents not wanting to sign with Dallas because they're afraid of being traded. Anyway, the trade-talk may resume now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2004, 07:58 PM   #62
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

SPEEDY ...you said "we know what AW's value was when we acquired him, and at the time that was the best deal Boston could get."

I dont see a lot so far that impresses me, with Ainge's GM and deal-making results. So I am not persuaded that Boston got the BEST deal for Walker - rather, I am more inclined to think that this was the best AINGE could get for him. Ainge trashed him, slammed him as a player, then tried to find someone to make a good offer for him - sorry, but "deal making" in the NBA is the same as any other biz: salesmanship matters. Everyone knew that Ainge wanted badly to ditch Walker, at any reasonable price, and they had to think: apparently he knows something bad that I dont know.

Contrast that salesmanship with the salesmanship when Cuban peddled Juwan Howard to Denver or when NVE was sent to GS - the other team grabbed a "key Mavs player" in each case, rather than someone who was seen as trade bait.

And even at that, Boston got a fairly strong package for Walker, on the face of it. They got Welsch, whom they wanted a lot. They got Raef, who many figured would (and still might) be a top-tier C in the East (with his shooting, shot blocking, and finesse for a C) and who is still fairly young. They got rid of Delk's contract. They got Mills as a big cap-reducer. And they got a #1.

With Cuban's salesmanship, plus the fact that Walker this year is slimmed down, more athletic, and has exhibted greater teamwork, it is very logical to think the Mavs could get a good return for him if they chose to trade him.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:01 PM   #63
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

BERNARDOS .... I would trade Best, if NVE was coming back as a backup PG. Otherwise, I'm with you. But if the trade brings someone who will keep Best from playing, it seems to make sense to have him traded.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:26 PM   #64
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

PE: I had to leave before I made all my points earlier so I problably should not have posted anything.

My preference is to wait until the offseason and especially until the expansion draft to see what all shakes out. I am satisfied to finish this season with the current roster barring any serious injuries. Ideally, it would be nice to bring along a young center and work him into the mix a little bit at a time. I just keep thinking there are only so many we can protect in the expansion draft and don't want to get caught up in a numbers game trying to develop a young guy and then risk having to expose him to draft.

Now is the time for patience, I think, and wait until the summer.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:43 PM   #65
akaarod03

Poindexter: "Thus the question becomes "is what we will get with Dampier the most that we can get for Walker?""

Honestly...what do you think we can get for Walker? There's talk about Ratliff...but give me Dampier. What big man will all of a sudden become available? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Now I know Ostertag may come to Dallas in the summer...which is terrific...but we're trying to win a championship...and I think adding Dampier and NVE for essentially Walker can help us get there. Again...a rotation of Nash, Finley, Howard, Nowitski, Dampier, NVE, Jamison, Bradley, Williams, Najera, Fortson...pretty damn good.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:53 PM   #66
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

AKAA ..."Honestly...what do you think we can get for Walker?"

Read my post marked at 6:42 pm, where I already answered this exact question with all the options in detail. My personal choice would be Davis-Curry (or Davis-Chandler) if doable.

By summertime, there will be quite a few options, and many are apparently in play already. I am not opposed to playing the season as is, with Williams filling the gaps, and see how far it can go with the talent depth onboard.

Additionally, continuity counts for more than raw talent, at this point of the season - if you trade for Dampier RIGHT NOW, you probably dont get as far this year. So unless there is a HUGE upgrade trade that you just cant walk away from, I would prefer to wait til summer.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:59 PM   #67
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

UBER ...expansion draft has interesting ramifications on a trade, no question about it .... the opt-out factors with Walker and Nash, and the free agent status of Daniels, make for some interesting scenarios that could play out. The big money contracts that the Mavs have also might make for some interesting gamesmanship - would the Mavs essentially "dare" Charlotte to take a big contract player by exposing someone with talent but also with a huge contract? Should prove interesting.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #68
akaarod03

Poindexter: Davis/Curry or Davis/Chandler for Walker and filler? Sure where do I sign? The question is does Chicago do it? I think Dallas does it...just for the simple fact that Davis still has a little something left in his tank and Curry or Chandler has the potential to be stars...by the way...I would prefer Curry...I'm worried about Chandler's back.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:26 PM   #69
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

AKAA ...Chicago is getting frustrated and is apparently ready to remake that team. Getting someone to take Davis' contract will be a major focus, and there wont be ANY takers unless they add in value. So maybe they give up Curry also to make the deal happen.

In return, they get back a player (Walker) who was a major force in getting the Celts to the playoffs with very little help. Pair him with Chandler and they might see that as a huge leap forward to being a playoff team. Adding Delk, who doesnt have a big contract and plays both G spots and both ends of the floor, might also give them the veteran flexibility to be able to move Crawford to another team for even another good piece - Crawford has good trade value but is on the outs there because he wont play D.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:34 AM   #70
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

There's no denying that both Van Exel and Dampier have a lot of questions. I think they would be worth the risk however.

Nick has a role here - still. I think he would be an upgrade over Best and would spare Nash better than anyone we currently have.
Dampier is a big guy who has always had talent. I always thought that injuries held him back more than anything. That, and the fact that he played for the Warriors. I think a change of scenery would really help his career. He would be a beast here.

Walker is a big part of this team, and I'm one of his fans, but I think we would be getting the better end of this hypothetical deal. As good as Walker is, I would take two good players for him. I think it would balance our team much better. Jamison could move into the starting lineup, while Nick and Howard (for the time being) came in with instant offense and energy off the bench. I think that deal would clear a logjam and make us better.

Despite any questions, I think Dallas would be getting a huge upgrade.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #71
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
There's no denying that both Van Exel and Dampier have a lot of questions. I think they would be worth the risk however.

Nick has a role here - still. I think he would be an upgrade over Best and would spare Nash better than anyone we currently have.
Dampier is a big guy who has always had talent. I always thought that injuries held him back more than anything. That, and the fact that he played for the Warriors. I think a change of scenery would really help his career. He would be a beast here.

Walker is a big part of this team, and I'm one of his fans, but I think we would be getting the better end of this hypothetical deal. As good as Walker is, I would take two good players for him. I think it would balance our team much better. Jamison could move into the starting lineup, while Nick and Howard (for the time being) came in with instant offense and energy off the bench. I think that deal would clear a logjam and make us better.

Despite any questions, I think Dallas would be getting a huge upgrade.
I agree ddh... Anyone who loves BBall should love watching some of the things that Walker does. But, trading him for Damp and NVE resolve the weakest part of the Mavericks game at the present time. They need a Big C, one who can bang, rebound, and has a little O. Also they need an upgrade at backup PG. As far as Tag goes, why wouldn't you just drop Williams in the offseason, pick him up, and still use a 3-headed center rotation. I wouldn't mind seeing Damp, Tag, and Bradley in the C position - but I don't think other teams would like it much. I can see the game now, Dallas up by 20 and XXX coming back....Nellies inserts Bradley, Tag, Damp, Dirk, and Howard to run the point. That would be a BIG lineup. The Nellie goes small at the end of the game and puts in Nash, Van Exel, Fin, Jamison, Dirk. 5 Scorers to end games. 5 Big Defenders for the Zone. Matchups for other teams would be a nightmare.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:11 AM   #72
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read this thread, but I thought I'd post this here (found it at LMF) rather than start a new thread. I scanned the last page and I don't think this has been pointed out...

Quote:
I just heard this on The Ticket. I don't know how true/false it is, but it would be a great move for the Mavs........

A. Walker for NVE & E. Dampier

The word is, Golden State wants to dump salary and aquiring Walker would make him opt out next year. Also, NVE is trying to force Golden State to move him by saying that he will retire if he doesn't end up playing in Texas by next year (Texas = Dallas). Dallas would get the big man they originally tried to get in the earlier trade in Dampier and the much needed umph in the middle. Dampier is averaging 12 points & 12 rebounds.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #73
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread, but you have to throw in more on the Dallas side to make the salaries work. For example, Delk and Najera would balance it out...

Old 02-06-2004, 10:16 AM   #74
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I haven't read this thread, but I thought I'd post this here (found it at LMF) rather than start a new thread. I scanned the last page and I don't think this has been pointed out...

Quote:
I just heard this on The Ticket. I don't know how true/false it is, but it would be a great move for the Mavs........

A. Walker for NVE & E. Dampier

The word is, Golden State wants to dump salary and aquiring Walker would make him opt out next year. Also, NVE is trying to force Golden State to move him by saying that he will retire if he doesn't end up playing in Texas by next year (Texas = Dallas). Dallas would get the big man they originally tried to get in the earlier trade in Dampier and the much needed umph in the middle. Dampier is averaging 12 points & 12 rebounds.
I heard this as well. I don't know where they were getting this story. I frankly thought they might be getting it from here. Their basic point was that the Mavs would be crazy not to do this deal. I agree. As much as I wanted NVE traded, I'd love to see him back here and I'd like to see Dampier here as well. Plus Walker's game still bugs me.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #75
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Erick Dampier and Nick Van Excel are both long-term question marks. Dampier because this his best year and it is a contract year, and Van Excel because of his knees and age. The Mavs will do this trade depending on whether they want to look long-term or not.

What I mean by that is, no doubt these 2 guys will help in the playoffs this year (if they both stay healthy). So, the Mavericks do this deal with the thought that they will make a push this year.

However, if the vision is to continue to build the Mavs into a championship team, than uber's post regarding patience is necessary.

I believe this Mavs team is still a work in progress, and that though it is very tempting to get NVE back and get a 12 pt./12 reb. guy for this year's run, the Mavs can set themselves up for a multiple year run if they maintain more cap flexibility. I would do this deal if Nowitzki and Nash were later in their years, but we still have Nowitzki and now Howard to build around for a strong team for the long term.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 11:52 AM   #76
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Erick Dampier and Nick Van Excel are both long-term question marks. Dampier because this his best year and it is a contract year, and Van Excel because of his knees and age. The Mavs will do this trade depending on whether they want to look long-term or not.

What I mean by that is, no doubt these 2 guys will help in the playoffs this year (if they both stay healthy). So, the Mavericks do this deal with the thought that they will make a push this year.

However, if the vision is to continue to build the Mavs into a championship team, than uber's post regarding patience is necessary.

I believe this Mavs team is still a work in progress, and that though it is very tempting to get NVE back and get a 12 pt./12 reb. guy for this year's run, the Mavs can set themselves up for a multiple year run if they maintain more cap flexibility. I would do this deal if Nowitzki and Nash were later in their years, but we still have Nowitzki and now Howard to build around for a strong team for the long term.
I don't understand the "cap flexibility". Dallas has 6 players that have 4 more years left on their contract. They are not talking about trading any of them. They are over the cap. They will be over the cap. It is Mark Cubans money, and thank him for spending it. If they trade for Damp, he might opt out at the end of the year. If they keep Walk, he might opt out at the end of the year. Damp is younger than Nash, Fin, Bradley, TAW, Delk, and Williams.

What more could you get for Walker, if you are holding out? Is he the final piece to the puzzle of winning a championship? Is he the one that will put you over the top? Why patience? What am I to be patient for? Does this let them trade him for something better later? If he stays, does this fix the weaknesses of the Mavs in the future? If we make the trade, we have the Exception to work with in the off-season. If we don't, we have the Exception to work with in the off-season.

You call Damp and NVE long-term question marks. I can agree to an extent. NVE won't be asked to carry as big of a load in Big D though, so he should be very servicable at lesser minutes. Damp won't be asked to play as many minutes. You can't count on the health of any player (look at Grant Hill), but these two would be a great fit at the roles needed here.

The bottom line comes to this. What piece is it going to take to put them over the top? IMO A big man with the ability to play post defense, rebound, and score trash points. Damp can do that. The next weakness on the team is backup point. Best slows down the Mavs too much. NVE would fill that role nicely.

Our strengths, that we can afford to lose and still be "on top". The glut at forward. AW is our most tradable piece. I like his game. I don't think he will be traded because I think Nellie loves the "point forward". But he is also our most inefficient piece. Delk has been in/out and hasn't really made the leap. So if you can move Walk, Delk, and filler for NVE, Damp. You make the trade - this is a Mark Cuban no brainer IMO.

Looking long-term. If we stay pat. Within 2 years we will have to pay Walk, and will have even less money because we will have paid Nash. We will have the MLE to get a "Big". If we make the trade, it will be Damp instead of Walk to pay. Only we will have a big, and a backup PG. We will still only have the MLE to use to sign anyone. Plus we will have the "Bird Rights" on Damp.

I would do this trade in a heartbeat, and look to sign TAG in the offseason for the MLE, and keep it rolling for the next 4 years.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #77
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Maybe we can offer GS the $3mill cash that is allowed with all trades...

2 push this along
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:30 PM   #78
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I would do this trade in a heart beat. Talk about an explosive bench: Van Exel and Jamison coming off is down right nasty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Dampier is a perfect fit for what the Mavericks need. Walker is a plus but we could live without him. With this trade we are more equipped to win the title this year

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:20 PM   #79
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

DALM ... you said "What piece is it going to take to put them over the top? IMO A big man with the ability to play post defense, rebound, and score trash points. Damp can do that. The next weakness on the team is backup point. Best slows down the Mavs too much. NVE would fill that role nicely. "

Your analysis of what the Mavs need is very good.

But it is VERY UNCERTAIN if Dampier and NVE provide that.

If you get the Dampier from the last 4 months, then yes you have the big man - but if you are getting the Dampier from the last 4 years, then you didnt get what you were needing.

If you get the electric NVE from last year, then you have the backup PG. But if you get the injured creaky NVE from this year, then you whiffed again.

Which Dampier and NVE would you be getting? Right now, you have a really nice surplus trade chip (WALKER) to use to upgrade at center. If you use that chip and whiff, you will be talking a huge step backwards in the longterm quest for a title.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:23 PM   #80
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Excellent points PE. I also fear that NVE would log significant minutes at SG which could hurt us tremendously defensivewise and rebounding wise. IMO that's a high price to pay for getting a good backup PG.