Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default WEIRD

Is it just me - or are there tons more legit, available big men than ever before?

We've been barking for years that the Mavs need a legit 5 and there seem to be soooo many available this year - like never before.

Big Z
Dampier
Zach Randolph (according to espn.com)
Theo Ratliff (who went last night)
McDyess
Yada Yada (he's my favorite)

Supposedly, the Mavs have more 'tradeable assets' than ever before...and like I said, I can't remember there ever being this many available big men...

WEIRD
Old 02-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE:WEIRD

Well hopefully we can acquire a big man without having to give up too much. Dampier would have to be my choice of preference as of now.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

X...neither Randolph or Dice is a 5. Not even close....

I'm not sure if you meant "Big Men" or 5's since you used both in your example. Sorry.

Old 02-10-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Last year it was Brad Miller, Kandi and Rasho...

2-3 move around every year...no big deal about this year.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

OP - those guys walked as FA's (or sign-and-trades). I just don't remember this many being available in a trade scenario.

McDyess and Randolph are definitely 4's who would be 5's in Dallas.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
X...neither Randolph or Dice is a 5. Not even close....

I'm not sure if you meant "Big Men" or 5's since you used both in your example. Sorry.

I'll agree this is true from an idealistic perspective, however, to be honest I wouldnt mind having either of those two manning the middle for the Mavericks. Clearly an upgrade to what we currently have at that position.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Obviously, Randolph is a fine scorer/rebounder...not much of a passer and a PITIFUL defender and could possibly do a pretty decent job (a real upgrade from Fortson and Williams FOR SURE) but HE"S NOT ON THE BLOCK.

I read the same insider article that you did, X (most probably)...and it was just another Chad Ford IDEA...given the fact that the Blazers have created a problem for themselves contractually AND at the 4 spot (his words, not mine). There's NO indication from the Blazers that they're trying to trade him. I'd like to see him here just based on talent, but not necessarily at the 5.

Dice is definitely damaged goods...before he tore up his knee, he blocked some shots...but now, he's a shell of his former self.

Both these guys block about .5 shots per game. They're both 6'9"...Not exactly the kind of 5 that I want banging around on the inside with the other 5's in the West.

Since Z is off the market (per the Cavs) ...the 5's (of any decent quality) that were available yesterday were Dampier and Ratliff. You could include spares like Dale Davis, kurt Thomas etc. but I don't even want to go there.

Just a difference in tastes, I guess.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

There are an awful lot of big men who are rumored to be available. As OP mentioned, it's not too surprising since a few of them change teams every year. The bigger surprise to me is why the Mavs never get one? I guess we grabbed Raef, but...

Like many posters, I believe this team still needs a legit 5. They need someone who is comfortable in the post, someone who can score down low, block a shot every once in a while, and play a little D. This idea is only reinforced when Dirk says that he's not a shotblocker so Atlanta just had a free pass to the goal. I know we have a three headed center now, and that may help a lot when the playoffs role around, but I would still be willing to move out one of our forwards in exchange for the right center.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote