Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Golf Help

I've decided since I am getting older now (20), it's time for me to look into less physically rigorous sports lol. I'm thinking about golf but I honestly do not have a clue about it. I mean I follow the sport, I know the players, but I don't know the other things that make up the game. The equipment and what not. If any of you guys know anything about the different types of golf clubs today and like the technology that goes along with it, please help me out =) I am looking for a full-set for beginners and I don't want to spend a rediculous amount of money since I am just starting to get into golfing. I am right-handed and 5' 10". Thanks.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Golf Help

Stick to a sport that you will actually get exercise from....
Old 07-19-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Golf Help

I play ultimate =p

looking for alot less running and more walking lol

Contact Me
Old 07-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The golf doctor is here. Ask away.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
alby
Guru

If you were to get a set of golf clubs for a beginner, where would you start looking? and what would you be looking for? like brand, head size, graphite, steel, etc.. I need info.

Anyone please =)

You can reply here or message me.

Contact Me
Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

I highly recommend meeting someone at a Golfsmith shop or similar store and letting them talk to you. It's tough to size and recommend clubs without seeing your physical stature and talking to you. For instance, I use a stiffer shafted club because my swing speed and strentgth are too much for traditional graphite shafts. When I use the regular graphite shafts, I often swing through the ball and it produces a nice slice. The best thing to do is speak to a golf shop. You are under no obligation to buy and they (if reputable) will assist you. Also, the pro shops at your local courses should be able to help you.

Another issue is price. Not knowing your budget, I will assume that you are looking for decent clubs. I recommend callaway big bertha irons or a similar cavity backed club. This type of club is good for beginners and experts alike because of the balance and Callaway has the S2H2 (short shaft hollow hosel) technology which improves the club in my opinion.

Honestly though...if just starting out, I'd borrow some clubs and take a class at your local junior college. The course should be inexpensive and you will learn the basics for a lower price outlay. Either way you go, consult a pro shop and let them show you what is available. Just don't buy the first day or two that you are looking.

Any other specifics questions?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:01 AM   #7
alby
Guru

Which clubs should I being with in my set cause my understanding is that you don't need every club out there, right? And what are these 'hybrid' clubs? Thanks Doc

Contact Me
Old 07-20-2005, 12:24 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Hybrids are clubs like a 3h. It is a mix between a wood and iron. I'd consider those a little more advanced clubs, but not everyone agrees. A good starter set should include at least a driver and fairway wood, a 3, 6, and 9 iron, a wedge and a putter. Those clubs should get you started.

Be careful....golf is damn addictive. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 AM   #9
alby
Guru

I need something to pass the time =)

Thanks for the help

Contact Me
Old 07-20-2005, 07:55 AM   #10
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

i was an assistant golf pro back when i was in college and what Doc is saying is correct - you should talk to a golf pro about the process since there's a lot more to it than the average person knows about. if you find a reputable pro that makes custom clubs, i'd say that's the way to go. generally he'll make you a nice beginner set (driver, 3or5 wood, 5,7,9,wedge, putter) for a fair price. chances are he'll include a set of 3 or so golf lessons as well. a custom fitting will factor in a lot of personalized swing mechanics (lie angle, swing speed, etc.) so the clubs will fit your game, not someone elses. if you want a name brand - ping is really good about personal fittings.

i myself am not a big fan of graphite shafts - though i have a true temper stiff graphite shaft in my 3 wood i've been too lazy to replace. when they were first introduced, they were suppose to help the older golfer as his swing has slowed, but the snap of the shaft would help replace the distance. it's my belief that a 20 something year old man definitely doesn't need them in his irons, however having them in the longer (shafted) woods isn't too bad. again, if your have a custom fit, the pro should steer you in the correct direction.

on that note, a good pro will watch you hit a handful of balls, then give you one or two adjustments, and continue with your for the rest of the lesson on those things. he will not overload you with information on day one - i always focused on grip and stance with beginners. lesson two he will watch you hit a handful of balls again, verify you're still gripping and standing correctly, then pick another area to work on. the point i'm trying to make is, don't let him overload you with material and make sure his attention is always directed at your swing. he may not offer suggestions after every swing, but he should watch every one.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #11
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

Golf is a great sport. I busted up my knee playing soccer, and golf is the only sport i play now (albeit horribly).

I just starting playing 2 years ago and i bought a full set of clubs from a Dick's sports for about $150. They are not very good (i ended up buying a new driver) but if you are only playing 10-15 times a year and you are a beginner, you dont need great clubs.

What i would recommend though is find a used club place (second swing golf, etc.) and buy a set of irons, a driver, a wedge, and a putter. You could spend as much or as little as you wanted and you would be getting nicer clubs, even if they are used.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

alby, I hardly play anymore, but I would have to add a 7-iron to Doc's list of essential clubs, over a 3. Especially as a new guy starting out...low irons are hard as hell to hit. You'll be using your fairway wood instead of the 3 anyway. Plus, the 7-iron is just a sweet club in my opinion. It's the only club that I can pick up after a year, two-year, three-year-plus layoff and hit sweet and straight.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Rhylan can't hit the 3 iron.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 AM   #14
alby
Guru

I just recently moved out here to California, and I literally see a golf course every 5 minutes driving around town so I figured that it was time for me to see what the big fuss is about =]

Thanks for the help guys

Contact Me
Old 07-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Golf is great. I revisit it every few years. My advice for starting out: find a nice pitch n' putt. A short course of par 3's (anywhere from 3 to 9 holes, probably). Then just head out with a 7 or a 9 iron and a putter. Have fun. Drive at the range for a while.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:07 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

My reccomendation to ANY golfer who is just starting out is to not worry nearly so much about the clubs. Find anything pretty cheaply. Spend the first couple hundred bucks on some decent lessons. You will go further, faster and more correct than anything else you can do.

I'm a self-made golfer as many of my friends are, to see folks out at hank haney's with just beautiful swings makes me realize that bad habits are very hard to break in golf. Start out correctly, you'll not limit yourself that way.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:10 PM   #17
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Rhylan can't hit the 3 iron.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
But you should see me rip the 7!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

It lloks like a 583 yard par 5 at Augusta.....Rhylan steps up to the tee with his trusty 7 iron in hand......

....Whoooooosh.......he got all of that one....it went about 295 yards I think.....yeah....

Rhylan stops to enjoy the look on his fans faces.....there are thousands of them.....

suddenly, a 20 something supermodel-esque golf bunny drops her compact....

Rhylan mutters....work it baby ....work it....

(with apologies to Bill Murray....I couldn't resist). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hey.....it could happen. Rhylan's money.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
alby
Guru

just spent the last 2 hours of my life updating the handy dandy Yahoo Handicap Tracker, instead of sleeping.

FYI, I'm sitting at around a 25 handicap.

Contact Me
Old 04-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #20
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
just spent the last 2 hours of my life updating the handy dandy Yahoo Handicap Tracker, instead of sleeping.

Then you and I should play sometime. Give me about 8 wks though.

BTW, Where do you play?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #21
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post

Haha. I´m member for way more than 15 years and i AM still a crappy 27er...
Well. 2 Meter Guys better play Basketball or cards.

Last edited by GermanDunk; 04-07-2009 at 06:50 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this thread has been around since 2005 and has 21 posts. I guess golf is a slow game. I have a six handicap and am still using the Wilson clubs I bought from Walmart. Retiring and getting to play several times a week has had a lot to do with my handicap going down.

Last edited by left texas; 04-08-2009 at 05:04 AM.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #23
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

left texas owns

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas View Post
Wow, this thread has been around since 2005 and has 21 posts. I guess golf is a slow game. I have a six handicap and am still using the Wilson clubs I bought from Walmart. Retiring and getting to play several times a week as had a lot to do with my handicap going down.
What woods and wedges do you play with?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #25
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
What woods and wedges do you play with?
I still use the woods that came with the set, except I had to buy a new driver. I have a cheap Dunlap 10 degree driver and I added a Dunlap seven wood. I still use all the irons that came with the set including the pitching wedge. The set did not have a sandy so again I bought a Dunlap. I do not use any lob wedges.

I have tried using other people's (expensive clubs esp. drivers) and have no luck at all. So I just stick with my cheapies and am very happy.

I will say the only thing I spend more money on now is golf balls. I use Titleist ProV1, I am able to get more spin and they hold the green very well. But have to watch my club swing on driving as they will hook or slice if you are not careful.

My best suggestion for a new golfer is to stay away from the driving range and practice chipping and putting. That will take more strokes off your game than anything else you can do.

Last edited by left texas; 04-08-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #26
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with left. I first bought a half used set for 150 Deutsche Mark and later switched to a full used set. I never felt comfortable with graphite or the expensive Taylor Made steel woods.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I also play Wilson irons. I've always liked Wilson, I guess. But I've tried cheap woods, and I can definitely see a big difference. I prefer Callaway and Taylor Made.

And I just got a Taylor Made CGB Max hybrid that is unbelievably fun to hit.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #28
left texas
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I also play Wilson irons. I've always liked Wilson, I guess. But I've tried cheap woods, and I can definitely see a big difference. I prefer Callaway and Taylor Made.

And I just got a Taylor Made CGB Max hybrid that is unbelievably fun to hit.
I have tried using some nice woods as I stated, but with no luck. I guess if I just broke down and bought one and used it, I could get it to work. But, what I have is working (at least for me) and I am kind of a salty old dog, and don't like change.

I have been thinking about trying a hybrid, as I see the new sets of clubs include these instead of a two and a three iron. Is it more like hitting a wood or an iron? I usally like to hit irons in the fairway, as I almost always hit them straight.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #29
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas View Post
I have tried using some nice woods as I stated, but with no luck. I guess if I just broke down and bought one and used it, I could get it to work. But, what I have is working (at least for me) and I am kind of a salty old dog, and don't like change.

I have been thinking about trying a hybrid, as I see the new sets of clubs include these instead of a two and a three iron. Is it more like hitting a wood or an iron? I usally like to hit irons in the fairway, as I almost always hit them straight.
On the hybrids, they really do feel exactly what they are, which is a mix between a wood and an iron. To me, the head shape does a lot to influence my perception of the club. There are hybrids that look like just a fat iron, and there are hybrids like my CGB that look more like a wood. However, they are generally much closer to the corresponding iron in terms of length than they are to the corresponding wood. So, you are probably going to swing them just like you swing the irons.

What they will do is give you the same distance with less effort and also promote a higher ball flight. Of course, I'm not always looking for that higher ball flight, which is a rub with the clubs. But when I am...oh, baby, those hybrids are nice.

On the drivers...I think it's really more about the shaft than anything else. But I will agree with you that one can get used to anything and figure out how to use it effectively.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #30
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

you don't need to change anything if you're a 6 handicapper

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #31
left texas
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
you don't need to change anything if you're a 6 handicapper

Your right, just being able to get out and play several times a week is a blessing. I really do not take my golf to serious, just want to have fun.