Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default A-Rod = A-Fail

Alex Rodriguez was tested positive on two different occasions in 2003 for anabolic steroids.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3890785

Report: A-Rod tested positive in 2003

According to a report by Sports Illustrated, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for anabolic steroids in 2003, when he was with the Texas Rangers and won the AL home run title and MVP award.

According to the report, which was posted Saturday morning on SI.com, sources told the publication that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive that year, when Major League Baseball conducted tests to see if mandatory random drug testing was needed.

In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

Rodriguez, reached at a Miami gym for comment by Sports Illustrated, said, "You'll have to talk to the union."

Asked if there were an explanation for the positive test result, Rodriguez told SI: "I'm not saying anything."

Sports Illustrated also reported that it left phone messages for players' union executive director Donald Fehr, which were not returned.

Major League Baseball, in an agreement with the MLBPA, wanted to see if random drug testing should be implemented starting in 2004.

More than 5 percent of players in the majors tested positive in the '03 survey, and mandatory testing was implemented -- including provisions for penalties -- in 2004.

Scott Boras, Rodriguez's agent, did not immediately return calls from ESPN.com seeking comment.
Michael Weiner, general counsel for the players' union, declined to comment, and said he did not know if the union would have any comment Saturday.

Information from ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick was used in this report.

---

I guess we always knew this, but this confirms it.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

what a tool
MX425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

A-FRAUD.

GO YANKEES!

I am also interested in seeing who the other 104 players are.

Last edited by nikeball; 02-07-2009 at 04:39 PM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Bonds was not on the list.

Contact Me
Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Chicks, and Madonna, dig the long ball.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Bonds may not have been on that list but he did use steroids. It's a shame that there is no integrity of the game. They should test these guys every single year and if they test positive then suspend them one year. If they test positive twice, then ban them for life from MLB.

There is a simple solution. Everyone can make a mistake. But if baseball wants to clean up the game then they should punish these guys while they are playing not after their careers are over a la McGwire.

Last edited by Bayliss; 02-08-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
alby
Guru

Come on. We are talking about the MLB and Bud Selig here. The right thing to do would never happen.

Contact Me
Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Bonds was not on the list.
Hahah interesting

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 02-08-2009 at 11:40 AM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Re-Dirk-ulous

Re-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of light

A-Roid
Re-Dirk-ulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Still one of the greatest players to ever play the game. Same goes for Bonds.

I'm so sick of this steroids stuff to be honest. Just play ball man. It's the greatest game in the world, steroids or not.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #11
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

As long as there are players with no integrity, baseball will be a cheaters sport. Too much room for cheating that it would require the players to know they could cheat to choose not to.

Look at golf, its part of what makes the geam great to thosethat play. You call most of your own penalties and there is a sanctity of the game.

If you want to hit the ball farther, work harder. If you want to run faster, train harder. Steroids doesn't level any playing fields, it forces good players to leave thier ethcis in order to keep a job.
MX425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
alby
Guru

"I was stupid." -Alex Rodriguez

Contact Me
Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
It's the greatest game in the world, steroids or not.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
futbol.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
futbol.
Pretty much. And I don't even like it that much, but I wouldn't argue against it.

Anyway....A-rod...yeah he's great. Wait, what are we talking about? I just don't care about steroids any more. Blame ESPN for beating this into the ground for years.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
My opinion of course.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #17
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean an asterisk will be placed on the Rangers 2003 season when they finished last in the AL West?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
nikeball
Platinum Member

^LOL HAHAHAHAHA
Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Still one of the greatest players to ever play the game. Same goes for Bonds.

I'm so sick of this steroids stuff to be honest. Just play ball man. It's the greatest game in the world, steroids or not.

Dude, I like watching sports and yes, I grew up on baseball...but dang if it isn't one of the most BORING sports!!!

Given the choice of watching the following

Cowboys, Stars, FC Dallas, Mavs, Rangers...I would watch in that order. In other words, baseball is last on my list!!! I'm awfully close to putting the Stars over the Cowboys, but I can't seem to let go of the Cowboys past greatness!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Baseball is by far the best sport in the history of mankind. Most that don't enjoy the game are pretty much unintelligent fools.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I do appreciate A-rod for admitting it... But he admitted after he was caught, and the list was going to be confirmed. No way out.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #22
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Just watched the entire press conference (not the parts where ESPN will only show during Sportscenter). It was actually pretty captivating stuff. Seemed pretty genuine to me.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

That pause in between thanking his teammates...

was really long.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #24
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

He got to thank them later in the press conference.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #25
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The Thank You they showed on Sportscenter was pretty over the top.

I thought the whole thing was interesting though.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #26
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

another cheater, disappointed
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think A-Rod did as much to hurt himself as he did to help himself today. I just don't think that anyone can buy that he was taking something that he didn't really know what it was... didn't really know whether or not it was helping him... but he took it for three years? I don't buy that. Most people won't buy that.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #28
TheMaverick
Golden Member

I don't know what's worse, BSPN pumping story after story about A-Rod or BSPN pumping story after story about Brett Favre.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #29
alby
Guru

David Letterman admits to using steroids to "chase chicks"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1amZX93k_E

Contact Me
Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #30
nikeball
Platinum Member

This is my friend's Op-Ed piece he wrote for school.

I agreed with a lot of his points and have said it myself before.

---

In Defense of Steroid Users

Alex Rodriguez, arguably the best baseball player today, admitted to using steroids from 2001-2003 when he won his first MVP award. Barry Bonds, now under intense federal investigation for steroid allegations broke the homerun record, one of Major League Baseball’s most storied achievements. Roger Clemens, holder of numerous CY Young awards, is surrounded in steroid controversy as well, threatening his Hall of Fame induction. Numerous other baseball players have been tested and proven positive for using steroids. People say those who’ve tested positive for using steroids have compromised the sanctity of the game, that they cheated, and that they’re a disgrace to the sport.

I contend that Major League Baseball compromised the sanctity of the game by banning steroids in the first place. Steroid use in baseball should be legal. There is nothing “wrong” about using steroids.

So why are steroids illegal? Why is using steroids considered wrong?

Perhaps using steroids is wrong because it’s a dangerous substance that harms your body and players would abuse it. Smoking and drinking alcohol is dangerous to your body too, yet these aren’t banned. Additionally, steroids are sometimes clinically prescribed to injured players, allowing them to heal faster. There is a therapeutic benefit whereas no doctor would prescribe smoking and drinking alcohol to heal from injury. There is no arguing that steroid abuse is dangerous as is abusing any substance, but using does not necessarily lead to abusing. Use is completely different from abuse and should not be banned.

Perhaps using steroids is wrong because it gives some players an unfair advantage over others. Players are always looking for an advantage over others. Big, strong guys have an unfair advantage when it comes to hitting homeruns over small, short, skinny guys. Pitchers who can naturally throw a fastball in the mid to upper nineties have an unfair advantage over guys whose arms are naturally weaker. Isn’t this unfair as well? Yet big, strong guys aren’t banned. Pitchers who can deliver the ball at top speeds aren’t banned. If anything, steroids level the playing field for guys who don’t have the unfair advantage. It gives them a shot at competing with the guys who have the unfair advantage.

Perhaps using steroids is wrong because it compromises the sanctity of the game. Players in the past, like Babe Ruth, didn’t have the option of using steroids, so it’s not fair to them to see their records smashed by steroid using players of today. That’s completely true. It’s not fair that the Babe didn’t have access to steroids. It’s also not fair to the Babe that he didn’t have protein shakes, vitamin supplements, and advanced medical treatment to heal injuries more quickly. It’s not fair that he didn’t have many modern day technologies like an automated batting cage and film of opposing pitchers. So ballplayers of this modern day all have an unfair advantage over Babe Ruth not only due to steroids. It’ll never be fair to the Babe. But are we to punish ballplayers in our generation because technology and training methods have advanced? Certainly not. Babe Ruth would have taken the same protein shakes, the same vitamin supplements, and undergone the same medical procedures we use today if they were available to him. Records will be broken not due to steroid use but due to advancements in diet, technology, and medicine.

Perhaps using steroids is wrong because it sends a bad message to kids. Fair enough. Kids are too young to realize how harmful the side-effects of steroids could have on their bodies. An age limit should be set like the age limit to buy alcohol. Kids can’t use steroids until they turn 21. Then the choice is theirs.

Ballplayers work hard to excel out on the field. They spend countless hours in the gym, tearing down and building up their bodies. They spend countless hours in the batting cage perfecting their swing. They practice until plays and throws are automatic. Steroids allow them to train harder, to push harder in the weight room, to perform greater out on the field.

We as fans want to see great performances. We don’t pay to watch average ballplayers play. We pay to watch the A-Rods, the Barry Bonds, the Roger Clemens break records and reach new milestones. If steroids help exhibit brilliance and greatness in these players, why are we forbidding its use? Ballplayers are just giving us what we expect and want to see of them.

Therefore, a unilateral ban on steroids is unfair. Major League Baseball should lift the ban and set a new policy regarding steroid use. This policy should punish abuse, set an age limit for the use of steroids, and ensure players that managers and owners will not pressure or coerce them into using steroids against their will. Ballplayers who think it’s beneficial to use should have the choice to use. Those who think the dangers are too great should abstain. The freedom to use should be theirs.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I think A-Rod did as much to hurt himself as he did to help himself today. I just don't think that anyone can buy that he was taking something that he didn't really know what it was... didn't really know whether or not it was helping him... but he took it for three years? I don't buy that. Most people won't buy that.
I should probably give myself positive rep for this one.