Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future
Default For those that pray...

Please say a prayer for my husband's best friend. Today his best friend was playing golf with his father. His friend hit a golf ball and his dad was behind a tree. There was a 3 inch gap between the trees and the golf ball hit him in the head. He has been pronounced brain dead and will be taken off of life support tomorrow once all of his kids have come into town. Say a prayer for the entire family, but for his friend specifically. I can't imagine having to live with that burden.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default RE: For those that pray...

It's on my list of things to pray about. How horrible.

Old 02-19-2005, 12:58 AM   #3
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future
Default RE:For those that pray...

oh man, that's so bad

I didn't know that a golf ball could kill someone

I guess the only thing to say to this poor fellow is that some things just happen for no reason (or for a reason we are not aware of)

It must be hard for your husband too, Raef, to find the right words and comfort his friend.

Wish you good luck helping your husband helping his friend!

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:14 AM   #4
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Wow, that is horrible, my prayers will definitely go to that family...
Old 02-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon them
A hymn, O God, becomes you in Zion
And a vow shall be paid to you in Jerusalem
Hear my prayer
All flesh shall come before you.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.

Amen.

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
- Numbers 6:26

Old 02-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Thanks guys for the thoughts and prayers. They took him off of life support this morning at 8:40. My husband's best friend is hanging in there, but still needs all the prayers and thoughts he can get. I am still in shock that something like this happened. You expect evil in the world so when murders, abuse, or violence happens it isn't quite so shocking. But who knew that a father/son golf day could lead to death? It just doesn't make sense. At least his family feels comforted knowing he is in a better place where there is no suffering and pain.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Oh G-D. I will definitely pray for your husband's friend and his family. I'm so stunned and shaken inside, and I'm not even close to the people involved. What a tragic thing to experience. I wish I could "make it better" somehow.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
raefformvp
Golden Member

Smiles, your thoughts and prayers brought a smile to my face, so you have made it better. Please continue to pray for his family. Wednesday will be the funeral, so that will be a hard day for all involved.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Truly a freak accident... hope the family is coping. Continued prayers for their loss.
Tree to honor man killed by golf ball

By Anthony Spangler

Arlington Star-Telegram

ARLINGTON - City parks officials are planning to plant a tree in honor of Dale Parlin, who died last week after being struck by a golf ball while working as a marshal at Lake Arlington Golf Course.

Parlin, 67, a retired salesman who worked at the course for about five years, was watching his son's drive at hole No. 15 -- 539-yard Par 5 that crosses a creek -- when the ball struck him in the head. He was about 150 yards from the tee when he was hit.

Parlin died a day later, Sunday, at Arlington Memorial Hospital.

"It is just the most unbelievable thing to happen," said Stan Duncan, assistant golf pro at the west Arlington course. "We are all just stunned and saddened because Dale was liked by everyone."

Jennifer Fadden, assistant director of parks in Arlington, said a tree will be planted somewhere on the course and a plaque will be displayed to honor Parlin.

Bill Crews, a spokesman for the National Center for Health Statistics, said it is rare for someone to die from being struck by any sports equipment. The category does not specify golf balls from other sports balls or equipment.

In 2001, the most-recent figures kept by the agency, 11 people died of being struck by sports equipment out of 2,416,425 deaths that year.

Duncan said he was struck only once by a golf ball.

"It hit me in the chest and I felt like I had been shot," he said. "But I've never heard of anyone dying from being hit."

He said Parlin's funeral was standing-room only.

"Dale would find balls on the course and hand them out to kids," Duncan said. "He's definitely going to be missed."
Old 02-25-2005, 10:00 PM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: For those that pray...

They actually mentioned this incident on the Hardline today. My prayers are with the family.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
raefformvp
Golden Member

Wish I would have heard them talk about it on the Hardline today. The funeral was truly inspiring. Dale Parlin was a man of God and touched many people's lives. Continue to pray for his family as they deal with the loss of a great man. It is cool that the golf course will be planting a tree in his honor.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #12
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

150 yds... 150 yds...150 yds...

I can't stop thinking about how far away he was... it's completely scary that it killed him from that distance. How many times have I seen golfers stand that far away from the person taking a swing?
Old 02-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #13
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Smiles

I can't stop thinking about how far away he was... it's completely scary that it killed him from that distance. How many times have I seen golfers stand that far away from the person taking a swing?

The only way I can explain it is that it was his time to go home. It was such a freak accident that it seems that is the only logical reason. I can't tell you how many lives that man touched. I don't even know him, but I was so inspired by the funeral. God has a reason for everything.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #14
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: raefformvp
Quote:
Originally posted by: Smiles

The only way I can explain it is that it was his time to go home. It was such a freak accident that it seems that is the only logical reason. I can't tell you how many lives that man touched. I don't even know him, but I was so inspired by the funeral. God has a reason for everything.
Amen. God works in mysterious ways. For what it's worth, he is continuing to touch lives in heaven as we speak.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote