Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of
Default Mavs 116 Bucks 96

Nothing much to say, just our boys in blue taking care of business against a bad team like they're supposed to.

Good games by all, Dirk still seems a little disinterested or tentative or something.

Green looked decent in garbage time. His performances in garbage time sometimes make me think he should be getting minutes over George, but I'll trust the coaches know more than I do.

Nothing much to say here, let's just continue to take care of these garbage teams coming up and get revenge on the Spurs afterward.

A little vague recap, as I watched the final minutes of the Pistons/Hornets game . Not out of disinterest for our Mavs, but out of interest as Hornets affect seeding position.

Alas, Go MAVS
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to last night, I'm completely flaccid after that one.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

The best thing from tonight? Josh Howard had five steals and three blocks.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe we're winning even some of our games with Dirk scoring like 9-14 per game and Terry out.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 02-25-2009 at 11:57 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

^ I somewhat agree.

Our defense is better without JET. But boy do I miss him... especially the other night against the Spurs.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

This is the caption for the 1st half highlights on NBA.com

"The Mavericks host the Bucks in Dallas where they have won seven of eight in the last eleven meetings against the Bucks."

..umm........
Old 02-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Also.. the Spurs, still without Duncan and Manu, beat the Blazers by 15 tonight. So... I guess it makes the loss last night a little less embarrassing..?
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Also.. the Spurs, still without Duncan and Manu, beat the Blazers by 15 tonight. So... I guess it makes the loss last night a little less embarrassing..?
I GUESS...but it validates the point that the Spurs are better built for success, they have a very good cast of role players and they all do their jobs pretty consistently and efficiently.

We blew it last night though, haha.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Eh, I don't think so. Blazers for one were without Oden and are garbage on the road regardless, and it's not the loss that's bothersome as much as the fashion. 17 point loss, punched in mouth and no response from gitgo.

BUt alas, such is the ups and downs of an inconsistent team.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
TheMaverick
Golden Member

The spurs have always been built for success. Their coach is Greg Popovich.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #11
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I can't believe we're winning even some of our games with Dirk scoring like 9-14 per game and Terry out.
Look who we're beating though. And look who we're losing to. Its no coincidence we're good enough to beat the Kings and Buck's without their star players. But we're asking too much to expect this team to beat contenders with Dirk not atleast having his averages.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #12
ghazi
Platinum Member

Dirk since ASB: 14.4 points per game, 8.2 rebounds. 30-73 shooting, only 14 free throw attempts. and when the hells the last time he shot a 3?

I dunno if Dirk has quit or not, but these numbers aren't just a "slump".
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 AM   #13
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

You guys can jump on Dirk all you want.

But without him we would be about 15 - 42.

So we suck this year!
It isn't because we Have Dirk.

It is because we have very little else.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 AM   #14
TheMaverick
Golden Member

At the end of the day, Dirk's numbers will be right around his average. I'm not worried about the German... hopefully this supposed "slump" of his is actually doing the team good, forcing others to step up. Seriously... Dirk should be the least of our problems.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #15
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
At the end of the day, Dirk's numbers will be right around his average. I'm not worried about the German... hopefully this supposed "slump" of his is actually doing the team good, forcing others to step up. Seriously... Dirk should be the least of our problems.
He should be the least of our problems but he isn't. It all starts from him. We don't have another superstar we can rely on when Dirk isn't shooting well.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:00 AM   #16
ghazi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
You guys can jump on Dirk all you want.

But without him we would be about 15 - 42.

So we suck this year!
It isn't because we Have Dirk.

It is because we have very little else.
Oh I'm not jumping on our beloved Dirk, I'm just posting his concerning stats since the All Star Break.

Probably knee jerking tossing the "quit" word around... I hadn't even thought of it until the Spurs game. For all we know, it was just a bad night + great Spurs defense. time will tell!

GO dirk!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #17
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
Eh, I don't think so. Blazers for one were without Oden and are garbage on the road regardless, and it's not the loss that's bothersome as much as the fashion. 17 point loss, punched in mouth and no response from gitgo.

BUt alas, such is the ups and downs of an inconsistent team.
Uhh, the Mavericks were without Terry and were on the road as well. Why can't you see the comparison?

I don't understand why people are torching the Mavericks yesturday for losing to a well-built Spurs team. The Mavericks losing Terry is a lot more signifigant than the Spurs losing Ginoboli and Duncan. The Spurs are a well-oiled machine.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #18
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

We can't lose sight of how much easier Jet being gone makes it to pressure Dirk defensively.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what Jet can do when he comes back. As it is we're gonna win against whoever we're supposed to win (with some losses sprinkled here and there) and we're gonna lose against who we're supposed to lose (with some wins sprinkled here and there). Basically the standings are very accurate right now.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Good win, it wasn't close and scary.

Dirk continued poor play imo. He singled handedly allowed 22 pts against him one on one and CVill scored 13 of them in the first half(the other 9 from scrubs). I think people see Dirk and their eyes light up, most think it's relatively easy to score on him. Offensively, he couldn't score on LRidnour and capitalize on the mis match 2 different times and that was frustrating. Another night where he didn't really shoot the 3 ball yet dilly dallied at the top of the key. There also was the time he passed the ball when there was 2 seconds in the shot clock to JJB. Not like him to make those decisions. If the rest of the team continues to play the way they did last night you can bet he will pick back up his play.

On the other hand JHO played inspiring ball last night. He hustled, cut to the lane without the ball, drove to the cup, brought tons of energy attitude and heart! Great stat line too. IF only we could see that 4 of 5 nights that would change our team drastically, but I just can't expect it. Kidd, Bass and JJB played a good game as well. Once again DAMP got paid to do nothing!! IF he isn't having a good defensive night he's worthless!

Green obviously should get Carrolls minutes, an example of the difference is when Green took it to the bucket hard he finished and got the foul. He is athletic and much more agressive, fearless and can create his own shots if need be. CArroll plays scared and can only shoot of screens and not very well. They are about the same defensively but I favor the athleticism and quickness over Carroll.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Uhh, the Mavericks were without Terry and were on the road as well. Why can't you see the comparison?

I don't understand why people are torching the Mavericks yesturday for losing to a well-built Spurs team. The Mavericks losing Terry is a lot more signifigant than the Spurs losing Ginoboli and Duncan. The Spurs are a well-oiled machine.
Whoa now. I'd be willing to call Ginobilli and JET a wash even though Ginobilli is the superior player but Ginobilli + Duncan = JET? I think not. Spurs may be a well oiled machine with a great head coach but before two days ago I liked the Mavs chances of beating a Spurs team without Duncan and Ginobilli and every Mavs fan in this country felt the same.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
TheMaverick
Golden Member

You can argue that JET has more value on the Mavericks just on the basis that the Mavericks aren't a very good team. I can see where caseman is going.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?

Last edited by TheMaverick; 02-26-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #23
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
You can argue that JET has more value on the Mavericks just on the basis that the Mavericks aren't a very good team. I can see where caseman is going.
What's the difference between the before the JET injury and after the Jet injury? The Mavs lost to contenders before the Jet injury and they're losing to them after. We need JET. I'm not denying that but we should be able to win without him. Especially with Josh Howard on this team. And guys have filled in for JET. Dirk moreso than the team has been effected by JET's departure though. That I can agree with. That Spurs team is built around Duncan and when the clutch comes around the ball is in Ginobilli's hands. Your telling me JET does any of the above for this team?

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 02-26-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #24
Triple T's

Triple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of light

when jet plays, the mavs have a bit better time moving the ball. Number one, all ppl are doing lately, is doubling down on dirk when the pick and roll is run. The mavs have zero movement away from the ball so, if youre a team that hustles on defensive rotation, you can give the mavs all kinds of heck.

but when jets plays, teams have a harder time doubling in teh post on dirk because its jet rather than kidd in that situation. Kidd at that point, is more of a weak side option.

Honestly though, i think the supporting cast has filled in very nicely. Especially Singleton. And that should pay huge dividends later on.

"I am a enforcer man! Don’t nothin go down in my house! It's 100 percent heart baby! Sure I jack a few fools. I give em tha pain! But sometimes its about intimidation you know, its mind games…."
-Terry Tate
Triple T's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #25
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

great win!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #26
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Over the last two games, we outscored our opponents 192-187.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #27
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
What's the difference between the before the JET injury and after the Jet injury? The Mavs lost to contenders before the Jet injury and they're losing to them after. We need JET. I'm not denying that but we should be able to win without him. Especially with Josh Howard on this team. And guys have filled in for JET. Dirk moreso than the team has been effected by JET's departure though. That I can agree with. That Spurs team is built around Duncan and when the clutch comes around the ball is in Ginobilli's hands. Your telling me JET does any of the above for this team?
Why do you spell it JET 5 times and Jet 2 times? Can't make up your mind?
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Thanks to last night, I'm completely flaccid after that one.
Maybe you shouldn't have banned ViagraBuyCheapestVIGRAs.