Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What should the dirkster do about players crowding him?

I was talking about this the other day with a friend of mine. I expect I've elicited this conversation before also...but....I forget...

So we've again seen players just get right up into dirk this year. Right up in his grill and in fact they've been able to draw flopping offensive foul calls because of it. I never realized that you could not pivot in basketball or turn your body...but that's another story.

How to deal with it? I'm inclined to see him take some fines and elbow the crap out of those guys and be done with it. Of course that might/might not work. They could bring in a scrub, still do it and get dirk out of the game.

I don't see anyone doing that to duncan out on the wing for example. I do see it happen to kobe sometimes I seem to recall.

What shold dirks basketball move be in that case? Does he immediately just drive to the side and go around the guy...that sort of seems like what duncan does. He would have to just power it through since I don't think he's quick enough ala kobe to just go around them.

Thought I would get the boards thoughts on it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 02-26-2009 at 10:40 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The title of this thread is is a lot better now...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-26-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I still think the solution is more ball movement - don't give your opponent time to take advantage of the way Dirk is reffed...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I still think the solution is more ball movement - don't give your opponent time to take advantage of the way Dirk is reffed...
Agreed. No one else in the NBA can be as manhandled as Dirk on the perimeter without a foul. It is baffling to me.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quick move to the basket. Pull up or drive all the way. Hope the ref's having a good day and decides to call a foul as he'll invariably get hammered. It gives me a tired head.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Dribble backwards and take the three!!!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to agree with dude. Dirk needs to inflict some physical pain on the defender. One way to accomplish this is for the FO to make a trade this offseason for Bruce Bowen. No one in the NBA is more creative on how to injure an opponent than Bruce. He could be an excellent mentor. In all seriousness, I think the fear of an elbow to the face would go along way to solving the problem.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I was talking about this the other day with a friend of mine. I expect I've elicited this conversation before also...but....I forget...

So we've again seen players just get right up into dirk this year. Right up in his grill and in fact they've been able to draw flopping offensive foul calls because of it. I never realized that you could not pivot in basketball or turn your body...but that's another story.

How to deal with it? I'm inclined to see him take some fines and elbow the crap out of those guys and be done with it. Of course that might/might not work. They could bring in a scrub, still do it and get dirk out of the game.

I don't see anyone doing that to duncan out on the wing for example. I do see it happen to kobe sometimes I seem to recall.

What shold dirks basketball move be in that case? Does he immediately just drive to the side and go around the guy...that sort of seems like what duncan does. He would have to just power it through since I don't think he's quick enough ala kobe to just go around them.

Thought I would get the boards thoughts on it.

I think Dirk could benefit greatly from watching some Duncan tapes. When guys crowd him like that he uses it to BAIT them into a reching foul. He does it by basically pulling the ball up under their arms and creating contact on his shot. There is a big difference tho in where Duncan and Dirk operate. Also Duncan turns his side to the defender while Dirk faces them up more, it's much easier to back them down or go against the defenders front foot on a drive with the defender on their hip. He doesn't have to blow them off the drive all he has to do is get his body in front of them on the first step and then use his body to fend them off and force them to foul.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I tend to agree with dude. Dirk needs to inflict some physical pain on the defender. One way to accomplish this is for the FO to make a trade this offseason for Bruce Bowen. No one in the NBA is more creative on how to injure an opponent than Bruce. He could be an excellent mentor. In all seriousness, I think the fear of an elbow to the face would go along way to solving the problem.
I'd take DWhistle, BDiddy, CP3, or almost anybody else, but if Bowen is on this team, I quit being a Mavs fan.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

So easy.

Basketball 101.

give and go.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
I'd take DWhistle, BDiddy, CP3, or almost anybody else, but if Bowen is on this team, I quit being a Mavs fan.
Why? The Mavs actually go after a shut down defender? Probably the smartest defender in the league? I don't even care if he gets any pt i'd just love to have him at practice guarding Josh and Dirk. To see that daily at practice would be tremendous for those guys.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Bowen like 40 now?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't the first time that this has happened. Dirk goes through short funks and works his way out of it.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #14
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Swinging the elbows. If Dirk should be watching anyone it's Karl Malone, no one wanted to crowd that guy.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

SMC, I've seen Duncan do that on the block, when he has his back to the basket he basically brings his arms up from the side making sure the defender has his arms out so his arms get tangled up with the defender's. I don't remember seeing him do that while he's at the elbow. I'll see if I can spot him doing that.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #16
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
SMC, I've seen Duncan do that on the block, when he has his back to the basket he basically brings his arms up from the side making sure the defender has his arms out so his arms get tangled up with the defender's. I don't remember seeing him do that while he's at the elbow. I'll see if I can spot him doing that.
Yeah exactly the move I'm talking about.. I have seen him do it some on the elbow, it's not near as often as he does on the block. I couldn't find many of either on youtube unfortunately :/ But dang ol' I think that is a great way for him to get more calls on bs way the officials allow him to be guarded. I'm not that big on making excuses but he does get ripped on calls more than anyone else in the league besides Shaq (in the day).

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 02-26-2009 at 03:23 PM.
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Post up and use that sexy fade away.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I think Dirk could benefit greatly from watching some Duncan tapes. When guys crowd him like that he uses it to BAIT them into a reching foul. He does it by basically pulling the ball up under their arms and creating contact on his shot. There is a big difference tho in where Duncan and Dirk operate. Also Duncan turns his side to the defender while Dirk faces them up more, it's much easier to back them down or go against the defenders front foot on a drive with the defender on their hip. He doesn't have to blow them off the drive all he has to do is get his body in front of them on the first step and then use his body to fend them off and force them to foul.
excellent analysis
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #19
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Dirk needs to keep the ball in front of him or on his side. When he puts it up behind his head, which is what he does. People get clos4e to him and now he cant shoot and isnt quik enough to dribble it around. So either shoot it quik or dont put it behind his head

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 02-26-2009 at 06:14 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #20
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO View Post
Dirk needs to keep the ball in front of him or on his side. When he puts it up behind his head, which is what he does. People get clos4e to him and now he cant shoot and isnt quik enough to dribble it around. So either shoot it quik or dont put it behind his head
yes, I'm sure you know more about what kind of basketball technique works better for Dirk than Dirk does.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #21
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

The answer is obvious...

Uppercut them with the ball.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Jesus said take it to the hole

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
yes, I'm sure you know more about what kind of basketball technique works better for Dirk than Dirk does.
uhh some one is irritated ...soo F off my mann ; )

The question was asking what Dirk should do?? Soo I gave my opinion, soo hopp off

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you always add extraaa letterrrs to worrdss?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #25
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

seriously, give and go. it will keep the defender honest.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #26
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why do you always add extraaa letterrrs to worrdss?
Idk must be just to bother you, since you like to get on peoples case for no reason or without actually understanding what they are trying to say. I mean you think you are the know it all, and anytime someone else posts an opinion, you are quik to jump at them. sooooo Idk

........GO MAVS
Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #27
TheMaverick
Golden Member

round 1. fight!

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #28
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Idk must be just to bother you, since you like to get on peoples case for no reason or without actually understanding what they are trying to say.
logic
leap

Quote:
I mean you think you are the know it all, and anytime someone else posts an opinion, you are quik to jump at them. sooooo Idk
There are a lot of opinions that I disagree with on here, but I don't jump on them when they state their opinions in a clear, intelligent manner.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Mavs fan disunity!

Stay united
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #30
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
round 1. fight!
simila' to the thrilla' in manilla

Anyway, I agree that that passing would be the way to beat the double/triple teams. The problem is that Dirk doesn't (shouldn't?) trust a lot of the guys to finish, even when he puts them in a perfect position. Also, even when passing is usually the best option, Dirk still needs to be Dirk. We aren't going to win many games with Dirk being held down. I doubt we'll win *any* that way in the playoffs.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #31
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
logic
leap

There are a lot of opinions that I disagree with on here, but I don't jump on them when they state their opinions in a clear, intelligent manner.
Soo there you go with you stupidity again. Who are you again to judge what is intelligent on here?? Ohh yee nobody...soo stick to you basketball opinions budd ; )

........GO MAVS
Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #32
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:

Here you just proved my point AGAIN

........GO MAVS
Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #33
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Place your bets, people!!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #34
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you have a good point...First it doesn't allow him to hit the dude "inadvertantly". when he puts it behind his head...his options seem to be limited and the guy really crowds him then.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #35
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Thank you...a person that actually takes time to read and understand

** someone above could learn a few things

........GO MAVS
Old 02-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #36
catsil

catsil is on a distinguished road

Well, basketball 101 says for Dirk to drive past the crowding defender.
Unfortunately
1) Opponents play second line defense. Dirk is not fast enough to get past them and the supporting cast doesn't make them pay enough for this.
2) Dirk often doesn't get a call on his drives.

It was exposed by Nellie.. remember Stephen Jackson or Jason Richardson being up in Dirk's grill...

Last edited by catsil; 02-28-2009 at 12:47 AM.
catsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #37
dude1394
Guru

Something happened tonight to JJB that I think dirk should do some of. JJB was crowding his man and the guy went up for a shot and smacked JJB in the mouth with an elbow.

That sounds like a decent play. Go up for a shot when the guy is right up on you....smack him in the face with it and draw the foul.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #38
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

dirk is so good.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #39
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Am just saying

........GO MAVS
Old 02-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #40
cowdog80

cowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar View Post
Agreed. No one else in the NBA can be as manhandled as Dirk on the perimeter without a foul. It is baffling to me.
i don't think that's really true. i think most bigs get reffed that way on the perimeter. the difference is that most bigs out there will be looking for the mismatch elsewhere (i.e. if there is a smaller/quicker guy crowding them, there is a bigger/slower player guarding someone else on the floor).

a small on Dirk is already a mismatch so he's still looking to score.

i think the ideal way to beat it is for dirk to give the ball up, then post the player up and get the ball back before the defense has an opportunity to switch.
cowdog80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vag in all thread