Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-31-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice
Default How to parent a rookie

That's funny! Have you heard about a Mavs' player punishing rookies like KG did?

------------
Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster.
-----------
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2004, 07:09 AM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:How to parent a rookie

Ooops! KG's punk streak is showing again.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Rickert might not make the team now, but part of the payment that KG was going to receive in way of salary, I bet gets diverted to him. He might make more from that one shot, than he would have playing for the TWolves anyway.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:56 AM   #4
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

The reigning MVP's feeling insecure? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Whow what a total classless act by KG. Poor baby, somebody scores on him and all he can do is hit them. I guess KG's defense isn't really all that great after all.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:15 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to parent a rookie

What the hell was KG thinking?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:17 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw."
he always has been a punk.....but hid it a bit to win the MVP.....think Duncan or Dirk would try something like that?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
What do you expect out of the classless bastard that stole my nickname? The way I figure it, he owes me about $79.4 million for the infringement of my intellectual property.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:32 PM   #9
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

More reason to dislike KG. Duncarn>>>>>>>KG
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:36 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
"Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw."
he always has been a punk.....but hid it a bit to win the MVP.....think Webber or Dirk would try something like that?
Dirk would come back and stick a trey right is his face, Webber would just cry.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:36 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
What do you expect out of the classless bastard that stole my nickname? The way I figure it, he owes me about $79.4 million for the infringement of my intellectual property.
Well you are a lawyer, so sue him. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2004, 01:05 PM   #12
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road

A part of me kinda wishes that Dirk would do something like that, cuz he needs to add some nastyness to his game, but I know that he has way too much class to do that. By the way, I would hate for the guy to be cut from the team for playing TOO WELL.
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:20 PM   #13
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Rickert should have beat the crap out of him. I would have at least tried.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:27 PM   #14
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Rickert should have beat the crap out of him. I would have at least tried.
Naw, just the next time KG goes for a layup or dunk on Rickert in practice cut his legs.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:29 PM   #15
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

From the spineless TWolves' playbook:

Rule #21: Anyone that beats KG off the dribble or make him look bad on defense... gets punched in his face and gets cut from the team!!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:31 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

BTW punching someone for making them look bad in practice sounds like something Antoine Walker would do.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:43 PM   #17
Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: StvNash13
A part of me kinda wishes that Dirk would do something like that, cuz he needs to add some nastyness to his game, but I know that he has way too much class to do that. By the way, I would hate for the guy to be cut from the team for playing TOO WELL.
No, I prefer Dirk not be a classless, asshole, jealous jerk.
Sinn Fein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:26 PM   #18
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

you know, KG sounds like a punk in all this, but it seems to me that there is more to this story than this little snippet. maybe rickert threw an elbow...

you know, after all the heat KG took in the playoffs by not retaliating against peeler, maybe he wanted to change his image.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:32 PM   #19
Sinn Fein

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
you know, KG sounds like a punk in all this, but it seems to me that there is more to this story than this little snippet. maybe rickert threw an elbow...

you know, after all the heat KG took in the playoffs by not retaliating against peeler, maybe he wanted to change his image.
I don't care. That is just utterly classless to punch a TEAMMATE for ANY reason, let alone for one who merely scored on you!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:55 PM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

sinn, that is exactly what I am saying. this is a gossip report. we don't know FOR SURE if all rickert did was score on him. he could have elbowed him in the mouth. who knows?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:00 PM   #21
Sinn Fein

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
sinn, that is exactly what I am saying. this is a gossip report. we don't know FOR SURE if all rickert did was score on him. he could have elbowed him in the mouth. who knows?
You are correct, its feasable. But I can't see a guy who supposedly admires KG, and has never played in the NBA, and who would get his ass kicked by KG on and off the court, trying to punch KG for no reason.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:05 PM   #22
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I'm just not even very sure I believe that at all. For the record however.. I watched Rickert play twice this summer during the Wolves' summer league.. and he totally sucks. He's a stop-and-pop machine with ZERO court vision and would be a liability on an otherwise great defensive team. Another player, named Josh Davis, was very solid, athletic, and had a few huge blocks. I wish the Wolves would have picked him up instead. Rickert = worthless, Davis = potential.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:43 PM   #23
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
BTW punching someone for making them look bad in practice sounds like something Antoine Walker would do.
I disagree with that statement. Walker might whine a lot... but he is a classy guy. Also, he gets scored on all the time, he is used to it.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:54 PM   #24
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

I dont like KG but there is more to the story. A fight in practice... OMG big fucking deal. Apparantly the rook set bad picks and kg warned him and he kept doing it and talking shit... and then KG lost it.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:56 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

you don't punch a guy. just because you "warned" him does not mean you have the right to be a fool.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 08-31-2004, 10:24 PM   #26
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

i dont like the guy so im not trying to say he did the right thing. All im saying is things happen and this stuff happens far more than you think
Old 09-01-2004, 08:06 AM   #27
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

when i was in college, the same exact thing happened. the "star" of our team (a senior guard) ran into a pretty brutal pick set by a freshman forward. he was laid out (the pick wasn't necessarily illegal). the guard just jumped up and clocked the dude... talk about awkward.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #28
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I disagree with that statement. Walker might whine a lot... but he is a classy guy. Also, he gets scored on all the time, he is used to it.
Might want to ask Josh Howard about that, although it may be for shutting Walker down instead of scoring on him.

Old 09-01-2004, 12:09 PM   #29
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirk2003
I dont like KG but there is more to the story. A fight in practice... OMG big fucking deal. Apparantly the rook set bad picks and kg warned him and he kept doing it and talking shit... and then KG lost it.
Well it is a big deal if KG is hitting his teammates in practice for nothing more than making a good move on him. And we're not talking about trivial hits, but one that required several stitches. In the "real world" KG would have had his ass fired for that. Now there may be more to this story that what was originally reported. However if the story is true as it stands, KG is a are ahole to do that and should be disciplined by the TWolves.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #30
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

One interesting aspect of this that hasn't been raised by anybody yet: IF these reports are true, Garnett committed assault. Where are the cops?

Oh yeah, that's right. This is Garnett. The "Big Ticket". He can punch people if he wants to.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:07 PM   #31
sike
The Preacha

MVP = untouchable within reason...
its one of those "what happens on the court stays on the court" things

Old 09-01-2004, 03:00 PM   #32
LRB
Guru

Quote:
One interesting aspect of this that hasn't been raised by anybody yet: IF these reports are true, Garnett committed assault. Where are the cops?

Oh yeah, that's right. This is Garnett. The "Big Ticket". He can punch people if he wants to.
The rook can pretty much kiss his NBA career goodbye if he presses charges against the star on this team.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:17 PM   #33
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If he doesn't make the team, it will be one of those "press charges -- then civil" things.

If he does make the team, I still bet that he gets a few $$$'s.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:10 AM   #34
dmavsfan

dmavsfan is on a distinguished road

Garnett is a jerk. The Mavs should sign the guy if he gets cut, just to use against the wolves at the right time. Garnett is always getting away with stuff. He did stuff in the Peeler episode last year but the NBA FO just talked about what great self-control Garnett had (their mvp). yada yada yada. Garnett is a jerk.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

stolen from dallasbasketball.com.sucksass

Who's the real K.G.?

Trent Tucker confirmed what the Timberwolves haven't about Kevin Garnett punching recruit Rick Rickert. Tucker was on KFAN's "P.A. & Dubay Show" discussing how he works out with Rick to enhance his chance of making the team. When asked about the skirmish, Tucker said: It shouldn't have happened and both sides have moved on. Basketball insiders and outsiders agree that K.G. cannot have any more of these punching episodes if the team plans to continue burnishing his image as some kind of ambassador to the NBA. The Rickert punching, repairs for which reportedly required stitches, is officially the MVP's second attack on a teammate. K.G. has previously punched Wally Szczerbiak, reportedly while he was in a prone position. Those who buy into K.G.'s good-guy image have to wonder why he has a tendency to act like an insecure bully when there are no TV cameras around. The answer is obvious: K.G.'s image portrays something he's not. Some are dedicated into building him into someone who couldn't possibly need anger management. A Timberwolves spokesman has not responded to such questions.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #36
V2M
Diamond Member

Mavs are lucky to have Dirk & Fin to set the right stage for all the veteran & rookie newcomers to shine & showcase their talents.

KG may be the MVP but he's got as much class as you can find in Dirk's toenails.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:44 PM   #37
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Disappointing...... I had never heard of the Szczerbiak incident, and now this.... The NBA is trying to build him into something he isn't, and he's playing along.... getting elbowed by peeler and not retaliating..... how can he have that control during the game, the control not to retaliate, then turn around and punch people in practice without much hesitation? I think this shows what a true a-hole, two-faced person he is.